TKR My Knee Replacement - Is My Progress Normal

Oh the joy of finding a PT that is working with me, and helping me, gently encouraging me to bend and straighten.. After just two sessions with him, and home PT, I am at 91 degrees bend and a minus 12 from straight. I couldn't be happier! I look forward to my PT sessions because I know I am getting better every time. Thank you all SO much for your encouragement and help, I couldn't have done it without you! :snork:
 
Hello from a former Alabama gal! I grew ip in Marion, near Selma. I've been busy with Grands and missed your earlier posts but just read and caught up with you! What a nightmare of a start! So glad you found this forum and a good PT!! You will find much support and encouragement here. Nothing is sacred... We discuss EVERYTHING including the "poop fairy"! :heehee: Keep us posted on your progress. It matters to all of us! As I'm sure you've read, this is a long slow journey and you may find yourself seeking patience and support! Plus the administrators are great resources! So, Welcome and congratulations on your progress so far! :flwrysmile:
 
Yay that sounds much better my home pt guy has been great he has encouraged and stretched by knee and I am really pleased with my progress. I start out patient pt on Monday and I will be telling them straight up what I expect. Have a great pain free day :yay:
 
I start out patient pt on Monday and I will be telling them straight up what I expect.
It sounds like you are doing great--that is a very positive report!!

I am glad that ou are laying down the ground rules with your new PT's! Way to be proactive!
 
Well, my wonderful new PT raised a bit of an alarm today, he didnt like the extreme redness in my knee and shin, so he directed me to check in with my doctor. Doctor said it is cellulitis, and has me on Keflex 500 mg x 3 times a day for two weeks... :-( cha cha, two steps forward, one step back....
 
That sucks hope those antibiotics work quickly at least the pt guy was on the ball. :groan:
 
I have a question.... I am now at almost 5 weeks out from my TKR... I have acheived 95 degrees bend and am 9 degrees short of full straightening. Is this a normal progress? my knee seems very hard and swollen still, I am worried about scar tissue... any ideas? My new PT is wonderful, he pushes me just hard enough to get me a little further each time. I also am very weak and shaky, could that be a leftover from the anesthesia? or side affect of the pain medicine? or a side affect of the Keflex.. I am able to walk around the house a bit without my walker, but the PT wanted me to keep it until I didnt limp any more.
 
You sound like you're doing well. My OS was looking for about 90 degree flexion at 6 weeks. If your knee is still swollen you can't bend it all the way. My muscles were shaky because they were weak and that happened if I tried to do too much. My leg was not straight before the surgery so when it was realigned my muscles were stretched farther than they were before. As far as straightening my leg I used to put a rolled up towel under my heel and just let my leg straighten by itself. I stopped as soon as it got uncomfortable. I also sat in a chair and put my foot on a stool. It eventually got close to 0. The anesthesia is out of your system by now.
 
Thank you, I talked to my PT about it today, and he said I was doing great. I guess I just get worried. All is well! onward and upward! :heehee:
 
You are doing great! You've had MAJOR surgery. Your body is still in the beginning stages of recovery. It will take a lot of patience for this journey! Rest, let your body heal, elevate and ice to reduce swelling and take the pain meds on a schedule! Give yourself time!
 
Thank you, Thesoutherncook!! I get a little anxious but both my PT and you encouraged me. Still having a significant amount of pain at night, so still taking my stronger pain meds so I can sleep. I also sleep with my polar ice wrap as my leg gets very hot at night. Graduated to walking with just a cane around the house, and going to try driving soon... I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me. Have a joyous Christmas!
 
Night time pain just seems to last the longest. I'm not sure if it's because there is nothing else to distract us or it's a result of a lot of activity during the day or a combination of both. I still use ice when going to sleep on any nights when my knee is swollen. Have a :merryx:
 
Hi everyone, I am now at almost 9 weeks out from my TKR. I have found a wonderful PT who works with me one on one, and the cellulitis is gone. I am just concerned with the fact that I cannot get to more than 10 degrees from straight. No matter how we work on it, my knee will not go straight. My range of motion is now at 110 degree bend, so that is improving every day. Worried about scar tissue, which may have been there since my arthroscopic surgery in August 2014. If there is scar tissue will I need surgery to fix it?
Thank you for all your wisdom and support!
 
I don't think I ever got to 0 during my PT. My bend was always good, however. My therapist said not to worry and she was right. A few months after my surgery, she saw me at the gym and said everything appeared just fine. Your extension will come over time. Just doing your day-to-day activities will help you see improvement. Don't force it….you are still early in your recovery.
 
Hi @Windyone555
At only 9 weeks after your surgery, it's much too soon to be worrying about not getting full extension. ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR, and it's quite normal for extension to be slower to achieve than flexion, so there's no need to rush.
Do you remember these articles, from the recovery reading list that you were given earlier?
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Just in case someone is telling you that you have a limited time window in order to achieve ROM, read this article:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
No matter how we work on it, my knee will not go straight. My range of motion is now at 110 degree bend, so that is improving every day. Worried about scar tissue, which may have been there since my arthroscopic surgery in August 2014. If there is scar tissue will I need surgery to fix it?
And there may be your answer! You don't have to work hard to achieve ROM. IN fact, working too hared can actually slow you down. Here's another article for you:
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”

Your flexion is already at 110, which is good. That proves you don't have harmful scar tissue. You won't need surgery.

Everyone gets scar tissue. That's a normal part of healing and it's what holds your wound together. If you didn't get it, your wound would open up again. The abnormal healing that PTs obsess about and wrongly call scar tissue is really called adhesions. If you can bear to read another article (:heehee:) this explains the difference:
Scar tissue and adhesions - what's the difference?

Now, slow down, and stop worrying. You've got plenty of time.
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Knee Replacement - Is My Progress Normal
[Bonesmart.org] My Knee Replacement - Is My Progress Normal
@Windyone555, You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it using the Thread Tools button at the top right of the page or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
At 12 weeks on Monday, I am supposed to go back to work for eight hours a day. I gave it a trial run on Friday, and lasted five hours before the pain caused me to go home to elevate and ice. I am frustrated that I am still having as much pain as I am, I have to take my Tramadol timely every day or it gets really bad. Also, my wonderful PT's assistant did something really stupid on the day last week they discharged me: He "strength tested" my knee by applying pressure downward holding my ankle while I resisted it with my leg muscles... and he counted down three, two, one and then PUSHED hard all at once. The pain was sharp and excruciating! Since then I have had more pain and swelling to the knee every day. So annoyed that he did that move on me!!! I loved the PT but his assistant was more rough with me several times and I had to remind him to stop. So now I am facing going back to work with a knee that still hurts quite a bit, and trying to get through the day. I am still very tired after a little while. I know it can take months to really get better, but I have got to get back to work for financial reasons! ARGH!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom