TKR My Journey

@sistersinhim the surgeon is only replacing the tibial component so it’s not like he can remove the entire appliance and put in one he is familiar with. As @Jaycey commented, he will be working with the rep who will also be present during the surgery so he won’t be unprepared. I trust him and am confident he will be prepared.

He decided to go ahead with the March date so my calendar is filling up with pre-op appointments. I received clearance from my cardiologist today and my endocrinologist will send his clearance. I found out this surgeon keeps his patients overnight, especially revisions because of the complexity and length of the procedure.
 
So glad to hear you won't have to wait until May. Trust in your surgeon is key. Please keep us updated.
 
Thank you for the clarification. Getting this surgery over sooner rather than later is good! It means you'll be back to your normal self that much sooner!
 
You are progressing well, FourCats. I like Sisterpat's suggestion not to overdo. Mild is the perfect word for stretching. I also have a furry therapy companion-- the sweetest rescue dog ever, and she never gets in the way. Dogs are so darn smart.
 
Another obstacle. I’m having lower extremity edema and now have an open wound. Seeing a vascular specialist on Monday. What next?!
 
So sorry to read this news. Best wishes for Monday, let us know how it goes. We're here for you.
@FourCats
 
Saw the vascular specialist and was wrapped in an Unna boot which was to remain on for seven days. Made it 48 hours and had a reaction to the boot and was told to remove it. Returning on Monday for ultrasound of leg veins and see what might be next. The wound is healing slowly with the Silvadene cream and keeping it wrapped.

Fortunately the cough is improving so I’m able to lie down and elevate the legs several times throughout the day but still not able to sleep lying down.
 
I pray for your healing and praising that your cough is better!
 
I’ve received great wound care and it is almost healed. The ultrasound showed venous insufficiency with the right leg being a candidate for ablation. I saw my OS last week and he’s fine with doing the knee revision as scheduled on the 30th. He said if I opted to have the ablation first, he wouldn’t consider doing the revision for at least 12 weeks. So I’m moving forward with the revision because the pain gets worse (usually about a 7).
 
Good luck with your surgery and glad wound is almost healed, so it can go ahead. You are really going through it.
 
Well, finally everything is looking more positive and that my revision will go as scheduled on the 30th. Of course, the surgeon schedules revisions as his last surgery of the day which I totally understand. I’m not thrilled with the 2:30 pm time because of being a diabetic but my endocrinologist is working with me to set my pump to avoid any major issues. He also gives the anesthesiologist his cell number in case an issue arises during the surgery. I wish ALL doctors cared for patients like he does!

i have my to do list for the next couple of weeks to get ready. My sister was here this past weekend to help me with a few outside jobs I hadn’t been able to do alone. She’s been beside me every step of the way and will be with me for this third “adventure“ as well. Don’t know what I’d do without her!
 
That all sounds really positive. Take it easy on the outside jobs!
 
Good morning, @FourCats. I’m not on the forum a lot these days, but try to catch up now & then. I’m so sorry for all that you have been going through! It sounds like you do have wonderful, caring doctors… and that makes such a world of difference! I remember early on, seeing some here going through complications & thinking that possibility “ unthinkable”, & then wound up having an infected incision due to my body’s reaction to the dissolvable sutures. It resulted in 6 days of hospitalization, more surgery, & another recovery. But my surgeon and his staff, and the hospital staff were incredible. That makes such a difference! I’m so glad you are in the hands of good, competent folks.

And sisters….what a blessing! I have 2 & a big brother, who just turned 87. We are pretty far apart… Texas, Northern California, & Colorado. But we stay in touch, and, my daughter & a niece are helping us to plan a “ sibling reunion” later this year. At 78, I’m the youngest. It sounds like your sister must live relatively close. I’m wishing you both lots of warm memories to share as you recover. Is she a kitty lover also? Our little Felicity continues to bring a lot of funny, sweet moments, & when I was recovering from both surgeries, she spent many an hour right there with me, often on my tummy.

I should go start our breakfast. But I’ve been seeing your posts & thinking about you, a lot. And I’m going to note your surgery on my calendar & keeping you in lots of good thoughts & my prayers for a good, successful surgery & recovery. Have a lovely day today….. ours is sunny & bright……spring is just around the corner!
 
Sounds like you're ready to roll on the 30th. Thankfully you have your sister to count on. It has to be reassuring to have an endocrinologist covering all bases and making himself available the day of surgery. I hope the time flies to your big day. Wishing you all the best, FourCats, and comfort as you wait.
@FourCats
 
My pre-op with surgeon yesterday went well. Tomorrow is pre-op at hospital.

As you may remember, this surgeon is a different one than the previous (same practice) and naturally I have had some anxiety surrounding this. While waiting in the office yesterday, I saw a card “advertising“ a podcast done by one of the PT centers so I jotted down the information. I’ve been listening to the first ones they did in which they were talking with my surgeon about knee replacements and what to expect at different points during rehab. Well, I relaxed so much because their approach is very BoneSmart-ish! Having been through this twice I found myself nodding at what they were saying, especially “no two knees are alike”!
 
I did some light gardening this weekend and have one more area that needs some attention. I’m getting pretty efficient with what I’m calling “chair gardening”!

I‘ll be spring cleaning this week, one room at a time.

Next week will be running some errands like dropping off my recycling, getting my hair cut, and grocery shopping the day before my surgery.

Keeping busy has helped lower my anxiety and worry level!
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey
 
That's funny, FourCats. There is truth to feeling the weather changes.
Wishing you comfort as you move about prepping for next weeks surgery. Not long to go now!
@FourCats
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom