TKR My Journey

I had an appointment with my PCP this morning about a cough that just won’t go away. She knows the surgeon who will be doing my revision and said he’s one of the best in this area. Eased my mind a bit.

One of my cats got in my. Lap this morning and as she was settling down, stepped on “the spot” where the most intense pain is. Poor thing! I almost flung her across the room when my leg reacted to the pain.
 
Good morning, @FourCats. I hope your cough is better… that can be so aggravating, and, in these days, a concern. You were wise to see your Dr. And, as a bonus to your visit, he was able to give you some good encouragement on your upcoming surgery! I’d think his opinion as a Dr would carry a lot of weight.
Your kitty experience must have been a shock, to you both. We watch a little TV at night before bed, old sitcoms. Miss Felicity the kitty often likes to sit on my chest for nuzzles. We discovered that her “ route” up to my chest seems to be Across my knees…. So, I keep a thick blanket, folded several times, to be extra thick, over my knees. It’s one of those very light blankets that you see these days, so isn’t heavy on my knees, and actually adds a little extra warmth. Works quite well, as my TKR knee, even at a bit over 14 months , is still sensitive to those little feet supporting her 12 pounds of weight! Our little furry family members really do like to be near us, don’t they? Btw, she is currently sitting on the loveseat, on a soft blanket, snoring blissfully as she sleeps……
Well, I should go get our breakfast started. It’s currently 14 outside, but 42 later in the day… winter is here, for sure. Hope you & your kitties have a lovely day.
 
I went for a pulmonary function test today to try and decipher the cause of my cough. I wasn’t able to pass the first part of the test: a deep inhale and forceful exhale to empty my lungs. As soon as I started to exhale, I coughed, and coughed, and coughed. I’m being referred to a pulmonologist.

And to add to my misery: where I went for the test involves a lot of walking. My right leg has been a bit unsteady so I took my walker for security. I did ok until I got home (an hour’s drive) and was barely able to make it from the car into the house. Now I am not able to bear hardly any weight on that leg. The pain shoots up and down my leg, into my foot and hip.

I have not heard from my new surgeon and am very frustrated. I sent a message through the patient portal on Monday with no response. This afternoon I left a voicemail and have not had a response. I think what upsets me is that this is happening during the holidays when folks tend to take extra time off. I didn’t expect to have my surgery until January but I do wish he and/or his staff would at least let me know it’s a work in progress (at least I hope it is). If the leg keeps deteriorating at this rate, I’m going to be in trouble.
 
Now I am not able to bear hardly any weight on that leg. The pain shoots up and down my leg, into my foot and hip.
I am sorry you're dealing with this after a day of driving, walking and testing. Hopefully getting lots of rest with your feet up helps ease the pain. With any luck you may still hear from your surgeon's office tomorrow or Friday. I understand your concern with the holiday fast approaching. I hope its a peaceful and painless one for you, FourCats. I wish you a Merry Christmas!
 
Finally heard from new OS and the earliest my revision will be done is the end of January (only because there was a cancellation, it would have been the end of March).
 
Hi @FourCats. Again, sorry you are dealing with all of these new challenges. :console2:

On the positive side, the end of January is better than the end of March! Take care of yourself, we are thinking of you! :praying:
 
Thank goodness you got a date and it's just around a month away! That gives you time to prepare for your surgery. I pray your knee settles down until you can get this revision.
 
Since I’ve not yet seen the OS who will be doing my revision, I am wondering if it is ok to do the pre-hab exercises I did before each of my replacements. My ROM is actually very good but I’m thinking to do some mild strengthening exercises with a focus on the left leg which is the younger of the two but will be having to work hard after the revision.

Thoughts? Experiences?
 
A revision is the replacement of the replacement, so if it worked for you before and didn’t cause pain and swelling, why not?

I didn’t before my revision because I had a lot of pain and swelling, even without any prefab.
 
Thanks @WFD. I am having severe pain and swelling in the leg awaiting the revision; that’s how it was diagnosed. There are days I am not able to walk without using either a cane or Walker for support.
 
Another glitch … I’ve been having some issues with blood pressure, edema, and a rough cough. Have gone through quite a few tests to determine the cause. My research is leaning in the direction of congestive heart failure which both of my parents had. I had a nuclear stress today but don’t think the results will be available before I see the OS on Friday.

Has anyone here With CHF gone through knee surgery? Any tips or recommendations appreciated.
 
That is something only you and your doctor can discuss. I'm sure there are ways that a replacement can be done under these conditions. Hopefully, you don't have heart failure. Please let us know what you find out.
 
Yes, @sistersinhim, I know this is something my surgeon and I will discuss. I was just inquiring if anyone on the forum had this experience.
 
I am unaware of anyone, offhand, who has dealt with knee surgery and CHF, should that be the determination you get. Hopefully this will all resolve as something much less serious.
 
Will be thinking of you and hope your revision goes ahead and goes well. You obviously need to get the oedema/ BP/ cough issue checked and sorted pre-surgery but it might not be heart failure. Not sure where you live, but here in London nearly everyone is having repeated colds/ chest infections. Seems that we are getting a couple of years worth of non- covid infections to make up for all our isolation lockdowns.
Sometimes reading and thinking about family history leads us to fear the worst.
Hope it turns out okay for you.
 
Nuclear stress was normal so my heart is doing fine. Still no insight in to why I’m still coughing, why my legs and feet are twice their normal size, why I can hardly breathe, and why my blood pressure is elevated.
 
Thank God your heart is OK! But, it doesn't sound like something is wrong. Please keep us informed on what you find out. :prayer:
 
New surgeon not 100% certain a revision is necessary so is sending me for a bone scan.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
Oh, I thought it was all settled that you were going in for the revision. It sounds like your surgeon wants to be really certain that you need one. That's good. Are you keeping your revision date or should I remove it?
 
Back
Top Bottom