TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DogLoverx3 I think it would be worthwhile emailing @Jozilla suggestion, with a bullet pointed account of your knee replacement medical journey. Throw yourself at his mercy. You're a darn good writer, you can do this. After all it's only words but if they can be effective to him....Wahey...bingo!!!

Love Ann xxx
 
I believe he would be willing to review your records. Tag RestAssured - she is one if his many success stories. Remember we care about you and think you deserve the best!
 
Hi Ellen,

Hope your weekend is going well.

I am so sorry that even with the brace, you are not getting relief. I also believe you need to see a revisionist. I cannot imagine why you are having these pains and clicks and everything else. It is so annoying when they think it is all in your head. What do they know? Have they gone through a surgery that did not improve things? Likely not.
Like @Pumpkln said, you may have to look outside of Phoenix and start fresh.

I just really hope that you find answers soon.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3, thank you so much for your friendly and supportive message to me, especially when you yourself are still in such pain. I wouldn't dream of telling you what to do as I don't live your life, but having lived with three weeks of continual pain whilst trying to live a normal life I have just had enough, I can't imagine it going on for the months and months you've had it. I would have to ask for a revision, just to try something to stop the pain. I just hope that you find a solution soon, thinking of you, lots of love, xxx Lyn
 
Hijacking Ellen's thread for a question for the US bonesmarties - I am not sure how I missed it but today in reading a journal this AM I kept seeing mention of PT's and nurses randomly coming into someones home. Am I reading that correctly? If so - how often and how long does that continue?

I have an English mastiff that's friendly but well, hyper and meeting new people is an occasion for much bouncing around and general destruction(considering she weighs in at about 175 that's a problem)...I could/can probably contain her relatively reasonably but the other dog is my husband's Australian shepherd rescue who loves me to pieces and if anyone thinks they are coming anywhere near me on a normal day, well, they are going to be bitten. Hard. I can't even conceive of how he'll be when I'm recovering. Yikes.

SO - I'm wondering if I'll need to have someone care for them and if yes, how long?
 
I kept seeing mention of PT's and nurses randomly coming into someones home. Am I reading that correctly?
They are trying all sorts of ways to prevent re admission to the hospital, doubt that you need to worry about this. I would not like unannounced visits, and would not let them in the door with out an appointment.
For a primary knee replacement and at your age, you should be able to refuse home health care visits.
If I was you I would be thinking about bringing a dog trainer in to work with your dog on this behavior.:doggie:
 
@TexasTee I went from the hospital recovery floor on a Thursday and went directly to a rehab facility run by the same hospital (different campus) until discharge the following Wednesday. I had my 2 week follow up with my OS the Tuesday after that and started outpatient PT at his facility that Thursday. Home visits by nurses or PT's was never mentioned, offered or discussed.
 
Thanks @Phil75070 and @Pumpkln !! Good to know this is something avoidable.

Pumpkln - I have always had giant breed dogs and taught them bite inhibition rigorously - Peter the Aussie didn't display this behavior until I moved in last fall shortly before we married. We considered trying a trainer but decided against it. It only happens in our home around people he doesn't know. Candidly - he is 15 with very bad hips, he isn't going to be around a long time and it is easily contained by controlling his environment. If I was going to have to have people in and out that he doesn't know I would have had him at his play group - where, funnily enough - he is the designated greeter, they find him quite charming!
 
Hi @TexasTee I believe my insurance company paid for 4 visits in home PT and 4 visits by a nurse. Both made appointments and could come at any time during the day. There were no unannounced visits. For whatever reason these visits were covered 100% by insurance but when I started outpatient PT I had co-pays.
 
That is odd Jozilla - free at home, go to them and pay. I'm sure it was all bundled into what you paid for the hospital, nothing is ever free!! By appointment would work just fine...thanks!
 
@TexasTee I had home PT also but by appointment. It was wonderful to do it in your own surroundings; they can see your environment and adapt exercises accordingly --loved it. A nurse came, again by appt, to make sure that I was doing okay and did not need nursing care of any sort. My passive movement machine was also delivered to the house and adjusted to me.
@DogLoverx3 Hope you are doing okay in the rain. We are just sticky :yikes:
I hope you can find a solution soon. Am I recollecting correctly that an OS recognized your pain syndrome? The brace sounds like pure torture and unhelpful --was it prescribed and fitted by an OS? If not I would have someone check the alignment.
 
@TexasTee My OS said the best thing he and his partner did was open their own rehab / PT facility. People either trying to do it on their own at home or with other PTs, either in home visits or other PT facilities, who perhaps have different training or thoughts on how recovery should proceed make it difficult for him to assess issues and how one is truly progressing as opposed to a program that he and his PT have put together. With PT right in his office, if the PT sees something he thinks might be a problem, increased swelling, redness, too much warmth, etc. the PT just walks across the hall to discuss it and my OS will even come over and take a look if he feels it is needed. A couple of times, even with no issues or problems, my OS would come over to see how I was doing. Nice that an OS takes that kind of interest instead of "washing his hands" of the deal after his job, the surgery itself, is basically done.
 
@DogLoverx3 Yes! Thought of you immediately when I was watching the news from Phoenix Arizona!
Hoping you are safe, thoughts prayers for you.
 
@DogLoverx3 - bet Richard is not enjoying this!! Be safe!

@Phil75070 - good to know! My surgeon also has his PT onsite - I hope I have a similar experience!
 
Hi @Texas Tee - yes, @Phil75070 makes a valid point about same sited OS and PT.
Same situation for me. Hospital, OS consulting rooms, physio and hydro all on same site.

Hope you're OK

XXX
 
Hi All. Yes, I'm safe. Crazy rains yesterday! Phoenix is not set up for rains. Even the smallest amount will flood the streets as we have no drainage, so with hours upon hours of torrential downpours (which yes, I had to work in), we were all trying to figure out how to get ahold of Noah yesterday. As is typical in AZ, after the rains, the winds, the floods, the destruction and all else, the sun came out in the late afternoon. Kind of like mother nature mocking us, but whatevs. ;-) I was in one of the 'bad' areas for the flooding, but other parts of the city got much worse. The pups and I are safe and sound although Richard continues to be in a snit.

You're welcome to hijack my thread any day @TexasTee (or anyone else for that matter). My OS had onsite PT as well and while he wasn't as onhand as Phil's was, it was 'easier' to get in to see the surgeon or MA should they see something not right.

I will try to catch up with everyone later, but I have another busy week and have something going on with me that I need to get a handle on. I've been in the worst mood for about 4 days now. Don't want to deal with anyone and can't really seem to get my poop in a scoop. I need to figure that out as it's not my usual MO.

I hope everyone is well xoxoxoxoxoxox. Oh, and I know @Jozilla had her surgery yesterday and @Celle is due soon too ..... everyone is in my thoughts.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you're safe, Ellen! :SUNsmile:

I'm also very glad to hear that JoAnne (Jozilla) has had her knee replacement. Mine is in 8 days' time and I have the usual, last-minute nerves.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom