Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ellen,
Just to let you know that I am thinking about you.
Hope you are able to get back to your happy self soon.
Hugs!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hola Ellen - just dropping by to say hello!

To anyone around, another general question - did your OS send home a book of what to expect? If so, how accurate was it? I finally read mine and it was very specific - knees spend 3 days in hospital unless they need longer, he does 4 weeks of in home PT and Nurse visits - a PA will come to me to take out the staples unless I prefer to go into the office - TEDS for 3 weeks, CPM for 4 weeks, what meds he uses and would send you home with...and lots of other stuff I can't recall. It just seems really detailed so on the one hand, I feel like I can set my schedule to it, on another wonder if they all do it to make us feel better then do whatever they want in reality.
 
Hola Ellen - just dropping by to say hello!

To anyone around, another general question - did your OS send home a book of what to expect? If so, how accurate was it? I finally read mine and it was very specific - knees spend 3 days in hospital unless they need longer, he does 4 weeks of in home PT and Nurse visits - a PA will come to me to take out the staples unless I prefer to go into the office - TEDS for 3 weeks, CPM for 4 weeks, what meds he uses and would send you home with...and lots of other stuff I can't recall. It just seems really detailed so on the one hand, I feel like I can set my schedule to it, on another wonder if they all do it to make us feel better then do whatever they want in reality.
@TexasTee Mine was given to me by the orthopedic unit at the hospital and it was very thorough and accurate. Lots of things are individualized such as meds and mine were sorted out by the OS at the hospital. My current OS does not use TEDS --maybe something to ask about. It really is good not to be running around as you are quite fatigued --do not under estimate that however fit you are now --blood loss, pain meds, sleep issues, etc etc.
 
@TexasTee there were no TEDS for me in the hospital nor at home and use of the CPM once I got home was totally up to me. My OS doesn't feel that it is really necessary to increase ROM but it did aid getting my leg elevated while in the hospital. Instead of TEDS while in the hospital they wrapped my foot of the surgical leg and the calf of my other leg and hooked those wraps up to a machine at the foot of the bed that would inflate then deflate them.
 
Thanks @Chihuahuan and @Phil75070 - having not done it, I'm not opposed to any of it, just wanted to see how accurate the literature generally is. My os is in a group that has funded their own surgery/recovery floors so I'd assume the info was pretty accurate. I have a work colleague that had the CPM and was all for it, she felt that it was much easier to sleep with it on then not - probably an individual thing, will see what happens with me. Thanks for the input!
 
Just a quick check in. I've not been feeling well and I think it's due to the extended amount of time that I've been on a constant revolving door of medications. I've spent the last 3 days pretty much in bed. I'm totally queezy and can't string 2 coherent thoughts together (or remember what why I'm in the kitchen by the time I get there). I've stopped all of my current medications (Celebrex, Gabapentin, Tramadol) and hope that it helps. Richard isn't happy that I've done this, but he's not happy about a lot of things. ;-)

I hope everyone is well - I'm back off to bed......... (and no, no power tools for me yet) ;-)
 
@DogLoverx3 The forgetfulness gets worse!
I have recently been diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D.! Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder
This is how it goes: I decide to wash the car; I start toward the garage and notice the mail on the table. OK, I'm going to wash the car. But first I'm going to go through the mail. I lay the car keys down on the desk, discard the advertising mail and I notice the trash can is full. OK, I'll just put the bills on my desk and take the trash can out, but since I'm going to be near the mailbox anyway, I'll pay these few bills first.

Now, where is my checkbook? Oops, there's only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk. Oh, there's the coke I was drinking. I'm going to look for those checks. But first I need to put my coke further away from the computer, oh maybe I'll pop it into the fridge to keep it cold for a while.

I head towards the kitchen and my flowers catch my eye, they need some water. I set the coke on the counter and ooh oh! There are my glasses. I was looking for them all morning! I'd better put them away first. I fill a container with water and head for the flower pots - - Aaaaaagh!

Someone left the TV remote in the kitchen. We'll never think to look in the kitchen tonight when we want to watch television so I'd better put it back in the family room where it belongs.

I splash some water into the pots and onto the floor, I throw the remote onto a soft cushion on the sofa and I head back down the hall trying to figure out what it was I was going to do?

End of Day: The car isn't washed, the bills are unpaid, the coke is sitting on the kitchen counter, the flowers are half watered, the checkbook still only has one check in it and I can't seem to find my car keys! When I try to figure out how come nothing got done today,

I'm baffled because I KNOW I WAS BUSY ALL DAY LONG!!! I realize this is a serious condition and I'll get help, BUT FIRST I think I'll check my e-mail...
 
Hi Ellen,
Hope you feel better soon. I wonder what is causing you these issues...
I agree with @hopefaith, likely not a good idea to dump the meds cold turkey. I know that the doctor told me to wean off the Gabapentin. Just please take care.
Keep us in the loop on how you are doing.
xox
 
@71Beetle , if you are able to answer what is causing me these issues, I'll gladly mail you a big fat check. You may not be able to cash it, but still... ;-) We all know that I wasn't the best of patients to begin with and I couldn't/didn't follow the mantras as I should. I am quite certain that all of my over activity at the beginning at least contributes to the ongoing issues I'm having now.

@TexasTee , I couldn't agree more! :-)

Thanks @Phil75070 - your post pretty much sums up most of my days.

Thank you at @hopefaith , I know I shouldn't do the 'cold turkey' thing and that it can be very dangerous. One of the bonuses of being me - I'm 'all or nothing' regarding way too many things in my life. Medication being one of them apparently. I did my research and know what to look out for. I'm not having any issues quitting the Gabapentin (aside from having the craptastic nerve pain back). I hadn't realized all that the Celebrex was doing for me though - both knees are now killing me and my TKR is feeling 'fuller' than ever. As I need to be able to pull my head out of my tush though (before I send my business spiraling into the ground), I'm going to have to suck it up for a while until I can 'reset' my brain/memory.

I also want to see if I'm able to lose any of this weight I've gained being off these meds. As much as the meds help with the pain, if they are contributing to the extra 25lbs I'm lugging around, that's no good for my knees either. Fun little tightrope game I'm playing.

I managed to move from the bed to the couch today and even got the mail. In a fit of what I can only guess was delirium, I started drilling holes for cabinet/drawer pulls today as well. Uhm, I certainly did NOT miss my calling in the 'handy' department. Pretty sure a toddler could do a better job, but at least I'm trying. I'll post before/after pictures of the kitchen when I have everything done. Which may, or may not, be before my knee feels better.

I hope everyone is doing well and had a nice Sunday! xoxoxoxo
 
Hi Ellen, so sorry that you've not been well, I hate being on all these meds, my arthroscopy still seems a bad idea, I'm in constant pain so I can sympathise. I was absolutely fine for a while after the TKR, and even before this recent op I didn't need to be on pain killers, so to be on them constantly is really upsetting my digestive system.
I so hope that you feel better soon and manage to have a good week xxx Lyn
 
Hi Ellen @DogLoverx3 - so sorry that you are feeling 'Mars Bar-ish' - as if you haven't got enough to contend with.

Will keep this short for once, as if you are queasy, its yukky to have to read emails.
Take great care with your meds situation - cold turkey and power drills are quite a combination. Just no DIY knee surgery, OK?
The only good thing about you stopping all your meds is that you can now tell any future Dr that you see, just how much you still need them ............................. which just proves your knee needs help, doesn't it?

I know you have your business to worry about, but try to do as little as you possibly can to let your body get over whatever is making you feel so rough AND if you start taking the tablets again, do it gradually - yes?? In fact can you have a word with a pharmacist to check the best way of reintroducing?

Really hope that you feel much better soon and that Richard realises you feel bad and tries to be nice for a bit.

Love, hugs and get well wishes winging their way

XXXX
 
I'm kind of an all or nothing girl as well so I get it - but you are at least taking the max allotment of Tylenol, right? No sense in making Richard be more of a Dick than he has to be!
 
Hi Ellen,
I can just imagine you as you detox and drill at the same time! :) I am sure your kitchen will look great.
Hope you feel better soon.
:flwrysmile:
 
Well poop, I apparently didn't bother to hit 'post' after writing this 1st thing this morning... see? My mind is mush! Here ya' go, 10 hours after the fact.....

Good morning ladies! Okay, afternoon to @dogwheels & @Ellejay :cool: I'm feeling a tiny bit better today, so actually got dressed! Yey me! Yes, I'm trying to take it as easy as possible this week. Only a couple of job related things to do (of course, on the days it is supposed to rain here) and will otherwise putter around the house.

@TexasTee , I was not taking Tylenol as I wanted everything out of my system, but thought this morning, even before reading your post, that that was kinda silly and I should at least be taking those, so will start again today. No, Richard needs no further incentive to be a Dick to me. :wink:

@Ellejay , I'm so sorry your artho knee is still the pits. Do you have an appointment set up with your ortho when you get back? I had to wait a full 3 months after my last surgery/injection before my surgeon would do my TKR as he wanted to lessen any chance of infection. I think your lunch today sounds lovely and hope that the food was just as good as it was last week! Sorry about the continued need for pain meds. Are you taking anything to protect your stomach? I was taking an anti nausea med for the 1st couple of months as I've never done well with pain meds, but no longer take them as I assume my stomach is now at least partially cast iron.

@dogwheels , has your house stopped smelling of paint? Is the captain back home for a bit? I have to go check on one of my investment properties today (my tenant is, I fear, a bit insane, so I'm hoping they're not home). At least if she starts in on me (she is renting my former house - the amazing one - and I'm very protective about anything negative being said) I'll have an excuse to be curt with her. :curtsey:

My cabinet pulls are a bit caddy-whompus (or whatever is a cutesy term for crooked), but if I look at them with my head tilted, they look just fine. :ok: I'm only 1/4 of the way done, so I'm quite certain, by the last one, they will be perfect. Ish.

@Nana moon 27 , I hope you're having a wonderful time in Wales. Your surgery is fast approaching and I'm very excited for you! You and my TJ have surgery on the same day. By the time I have to drop him off at the lovely hour of 6:30am, you should be well on your way to recovery! :loveshwr:

@hopefaith , I hope you didn't misunderstand my post in your thread as being in any way, shape or form upset that you compared your situation/mindset to me. Things like that don't bother me, I just don't like anyone having to go thru what I have. We are similar in our need to go MIA sometimes though (not sure that's a good thing to do, however).

Anyway, I must run (HA) - I hope everyone has/had a lovely Monday! (is that possible?) xoxoxoxoxdo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom