TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ellen ... So sorry you are still having problems and pain and swelling. You must be so over it. I do admire the way you put across your point about the pain etc., but not in the least sounding like you feel sorry for yourself and you do so much to help cheer and support others. My 2nd TKR is not being the star performance I had hoped, but I am not sure why I expected anything else. Apparently this one was much more damaged than the other and needed a lateral release as well. I have googled lateral release, but am still not quite sure exactly what it is or what is done for one.

I hope you can get a brace fitted this week and that it provides some support and relief for you. I have a patch of fluid on the top of the knee, just over into the inside, and when I rub it, I can hear it "squelching" ... shudder. Makes my tummy go all weird, so I only do it as a party piece to revolt the kids.

Take Care Ellen and I really hope that there is some relief and answers for you in the near future.

Hugs ... Ellen
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - sorry that Richard is being a stink ......... ploppy poodle mess and deep fried Mars Bars. Did you catch my post a few weeks back about the deep fried dill cucumbers? Not the most stunning experience and visually ........... well I wont go there, just leave it to your imagination. Therefore I'm going to chuck a few of them in my mega mix of acceptable expletives about your knee as well.

Sorry you are busy and the brace consultation has had to be put on hold - even more sorry that you have to take that route at the moment.

My timing was way off with the waste disposal installation yesterday as the unit arrived early, and just after I had been shopping. However he did it with the minimum of cussing and it works! (I think he was just showing off his manly skills to the painters ......... like, 'I may pay you to come and paint my house - but looky-see, I can do man jobs if I want to'). Painters are cleaning up now hurrah, and will be gone soon - once I pay them. I don't think my nose and head can put up with any more paint fumes. Now is the joyous job of putting everything back in place.

Oh my, @NetballKnees - your squelchy knee must be a real crowd pleaser! Hope things are progressing not too badly for you.

I know you are busy Ellen, so am going to leave you to it. Hope pup's tooth is not too awful

Talk soon

XXX
 
@DogLoverx3 - not wishing to unkindly laugh at your phone typo - but the 'Paella' had me creased up with laughter. Makes me smile every time I think of it. Priceless! Thanks for a real good laugh, my friend.

Hope today hasn't been too busy, too painful or too awful.

XXX
 
@NetballKnees , Ellen, HI! So good to 'see' you. I'm sorry your 2nd isn't going as well as your 1st. Boo. I have been 'mars bars' at keeping up on others' threads but as I recall you're now in your own apartment and I think it's on the 2nd floor? I so hope you're doing okay. As you know, I went through this process virtually on my own. I had one friend that would drop by and help me, but she was called out of town before my 2nd week was over. I KNOW how hard this is to do on your own. I HOPE you're staying positive, staying on top of your pain and NOT letting the deep dark thoughts and feelings get to you. Please stay active on bonesmart and let everyone help you. If not physically, then mentally and with encouragement. You've always been so sweet and supportive to everyone else... it's your turn now! xoxoxoxo

@dogwheels, I usually go back and edit out my typos that I see, but I did think that one was funny, so I left it in and just did a second post. Glad it brought a laugh to your day. I'm also glad your painters are done! I can't even imagine the headaches from having to breathe in paint fumes for days on end!

@Celle & @Nana moon 27 & @Chihuahuan & @Phil75070 & @TexasTee & @Ellejay & @Jozilla & @susanne & @71Beetle & @hopefaith & @Pumpkln and everyone else who drops by to offer support and encouragement, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You will never know how much all of this means to me! It's SO important, and wonderful, to have made so many virtual friends through this process. It really is, at this point, the highlight of my TKR.

No, my results are not what I had hoped for, but I still hope that things will improve. Everyone is different; some heal quickly with little pain, others have insane amounts of pain and take longer to get there (wherever 'there' is). I am certain I still have some improvement coming my way. Just because I have resigned myself to getting a brace (lovely) and continued pain management, doesn't mean I've given up hope. I haven't. I know it will get better. It has too. It's just taking it's time. This surgery has affected my life in every way imaginable, but in some respects, it's been good. I can't worry about the things that I have no control over. I must concentrate on things that are within my abilities.

I woke up this morning with my usual pain and heavy feeling (knee and tush) ;-) and started to get down. Then I checked my phone and saw your posts on here. So I go about my business, try to push my knee to the back of my mind, and get on with it! That being said, it's time to get back to work! There are chicken satay to be made! ;-) And that, my friends, is the end of 'Introspective Wednesday'. ;-) I hope everyone is well. xoxoxoxoxo
 
Really @DogLoverx3 ? Perhaps that's the way to go - in small doses? A whole one was obviously too much of a good thing, too big a mouthful ........ but I liked the fact that they were sort of juicier - and warm, the flavour was better.
Think I better stop there, I bet @Nana moon 27 's mouth is watering. She cant wait to try a battered Wally/gherkin now! :wink:

XXX
 
@DogLoverx3

I'm glad we help, because that's what we're here for! :SUNsmile: :flwrysmile:

I have had such tremendous support from this forum that I stuck around to give some back.

Soon I'll be posting about recovering my left knee - its turn is in a couple of weeks.
 
@DogLoverx3 - good way to think of it - you will get better, Richard is just taking his time. (just like a boy!)

I like fried pickle slices too - well, I liked them when I could have grains anyway..but an entire pickle sounds...ahh, a bit overdone.
 
Mmmmm you guys I just got back from my granddaughters birthday Meal and oh, the deep,fried pickle sounds wonderful and yes @dogwheels my mouth is watering x x x x
@DogLoverx3 no need to thank for us being around it's our pleasure sweet x x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Hi Ellen,
Happy that we can all make your journey just a little bit better. You are so good to others and you deserve to have some of it come back to you.

Did you get fitted for your new brace today? Was this a the recommended next step for you?

I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. You keep a such positive attitude and I only hope that you find your answers soon.

Deep Fried Pickles or as we call them, Frickles. A colleague of mine came in second in a burger creation contest for a local radio station and burger joint. He made the Frickle Burger and it is still being served at the burger place. I can't remember which burger one but the contest started with 25 burger creations so he was lucky to have gone as far as he did.

Have a great Friday (tomorrow)!
:flwrysmile:
 
@DogLoverx3 Your posts make me cry and laugh. Your sarcasm and wit ( and cheekiness...is that a word @dogwheels or @Nana moon 27 ). In the midst of all you are going through, you keep your sense of humour and I love that about you. You are truly a trooper as we say here in the U.S. I both admire you and cheer for you. No, a brace is not the end of the world and I truly believe you will continue to heal. This surgery recovery is brutal. There is no other word for it (that would be allowed here:censored:) So I always love your posts and care very much for all you have gone through.

x x x
~~hopefaith
maryJean
 
Hi Ellen - just dropping by to see how the world of catering is doing and catch up on the latest of Richard's exploits!
 
Yes @hopefaith - you are fine with cheekiness! Like the new avatar by the way.

Hi @DogLoverx3 - I expect you have collapsed in a heap after a busy week. Enjoy your weekend.

XXX
 
@Ellejay, I read how cruddy (wonder if that word is allowed) your scope knee is. I'm so very sorry. I was afraid of that. I had my right knee scoped in October of last year to repair a miniscus tear and 'clean things up'. I do believe 'clean things up' is code for 'make everything worse'. My insurance required me to have a scope and an entire series of injections (which also made matters worse) before even considering a TKR. Makes no sense for them to have to spend more money and put the patients through that, but that's the world of big business, I guess. I do hope you're enjoying France and the lovely scenery anyway. Oh yeah, and the wine!

Awww, thanks @hopefaith. Very sweet of you to say. There are many that would disagree with you, I'm sure. ;-)

Thanks for checking in @TexasTee & @dogwheels ! I hope you both have great weekends in the works!

@Celle & @71Beetle & @Nana moon 27 thank you as well. Frickles, huh?

As for my new brace. Uhm. It's hinged on the sides, polyurethane (which is code for 'make knee sweat as much as possible in 110 degree weather) and I'm pretty sure, makes my knee worse. With the hinged sides and 'bars' going down the sides in order to help with stability, it just feels like it's pushing my knee in the wrong direction which tends to confirm my thoughts that my knee is out of alignment. When I take the brace off, I have a huge amount of popping when I walk (which had gone away), and when I have my foot on the floor but sort of swing my leg side to side, it pops then too. Best yet, is when the brace is off, the right side of my knee hurts which never has before.

I attempted to pull up my CT scan last night (I have it on disc), but it only showed 4 views - 3 were basically of nothing and 1 was from the side. There were huge starbursts from the metal implants. I don't know how he could see much of anything. Not sure if it was my computer or what, but seriously? I also looked at the time stamps on the report. My CT scan was finished at 1:07pm on the 25th and the report (by the highly detail oriented - insert sarcasm here - radiologist), was dictated and recorded at 1:22pm on the 25th (probably while eating a sandwich). Glad he spent so much time on it.

The orthotics guy said that the areas that I am having pain, particularly on the inside of my knee, shouldn't be happening with robo parts. He also thinks the sharp pains under my knee and off slightly to the left have to do with the Tibia. Of course he was surprised/appalled/disgusted (okay, I threw that last one in for good measure) by the size and shape of my knee. I explained that no one seems to want to find out 'why' the pain is going on in these locations but rather just want to cover it up. He suggested I get another opinion. Great. That would make 3. 3 surgeons telling me it's all in my head and that nothing is wrong.....

So sorry for my long and blah post, but it is what is it. ;-) I've got a relaxing weekend ahead before another really busy week next week......... I hope everyone is well! xoxoxoxo
 
Do you have your surgery notes Ellen? If you want to send me a copy in PM I'm happy to research what all of what they did actually means (I spend a phenomenal amount of time in technical meeting that I can't even understand let alone add value too but if I don't go, they get in a snit - so plenty of time!) I'm wondering if they took out the ligament Phil and I mentioned and that is causing the instability? It's just not right that you're going thru all of this like @Nana moon 27 - if there is anything I can do to help you find a solution or at least a REASON, I am more than happy to do it.

Just came in from a nice dinner out - but it's so humid and I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes on the patio that we called the night early and came home. Now I'm here elevating like a good broken wife while my husband and dogs are enjoying a nice walk. Bitter much? Gak! This was all supposed to happen when we were like 80!
 
Hiya @TexasTee ! So kind of you to offer! I've read my surgical notes several times and as far as I can tell, they don't actually say much. I just can't figure out the valgus part. I never realized I was 'slightly' valgus before and it never bothered me. I think of valgus as knock kneed, where legs angle in at the knee and then back out. My TKR leg post surgery is in line up until it hits the knee. Below the knee, my TKR leg juts out to the right. I can't imagine I wouldn't have noticed something like this prior to surgery, so it's got to be a result of the surgery. I just can't figure out why everyone says things are 'fine' on my x-rays. Maybe it is all in my head.....

Sorry about the humidity. It's been really bad here this summer. Nowhere near what you're dealing with, but for we whimpy Arizonans, it's a lot. And Richard hates it! ;-) Sorry about the knee not allowing you to go on a walk with the pups. My dogs are ticked that they haven't gotten a walk from me in over a year. I can't handle all 3 anymore and unless I have someone to help (aka, keep going with Bean when the 2 old men and me poop out)
 
The x rays can look fine, you need a full length standing x ray so the OS can see the bony alignment.
Sorry to hear how the brace is a pain,
It should make you more comfortable not worse.
I think you are going to have to look outside Phoenix for a revision OS. Poor doggies I wish you could take them for a walk.
At least cooler weather is on the way!
Cheers,


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 you know I'm going to say I'm in total agreement about the 3.3 consultant opinion and also what @TexasTee and @Phil75070 are saying. @Pumpkln advice is very sound and makes a lot of sense. I know this is more money etc but as the ad goes "You're worth it".

You have a lot of years ahead of you yet to live and I just don't want to think of you going into older age struggling, if there is a chance, even a remote one of getting this sorted.

This is only a suggestion but could you write/email to some well known reputable surgeon(s) outside Phoenix and explain your case to them? See if they might help you?

Something is wrong with your knee undoubtedly. Like there is something wrong with mine. I've been fortunate that the surgeon thinks he can fix this. It looks deformed. It has swelling, a new lumpy mass that sticks out to the right. When I bend my knee it looks deformed. My husband who sees me and my knee every day was shocked yesterday. I'd had to borrow his lovely electric shaver for my legs in a hurry before the hospital because I'd totally forgotten to de fuzz. When I bent my knee and the fleshy lump stood out on the right, and misshapen knee as a whole, he said "that's never right" and gently touched and prodded. Now normally, he and my knee do not come into close contact but yesterday he said it looked completely different to how it did a couple of months ago and for the worse.

When I hear you talk about yours, I know in my heart, something, somewhere sweetie, is being overlooked. You obviously know this yourself and must be so frustrated that no ones prepared to listen. The fact that the brace man has commented, he must see an awful lot, proves it's not right.

Sweetie, I'm not going to sit here telling you what to do but I would ask you nicely to please reconsider getting a better opinion. I know you're fed up now of the whole situation, like I am with mine but I'm worried that without revision, yours is going to do permanent damage to your whole musculoskeletal system.

You have been a fantastic support to me and I hope that you can get sorted.

Sorry for going on a bit

Love Ann xxxx
 
Very well put @Nana moon 27!

Sorry to hear of all your continuing troubles @DogLoverx3 - especially as even the brace isn't helping. Surely that is further evidence that Richard is 'not quite right'? Just like Nana moon - you must be so weary and fed up of knowing in your heart of hearts that something is wrong - but no Frickle is listening. (Just thought I would try that new word out for size!! ) @Pumpkln's advice is sound and sensible - perhaps you could start getting your mind around the possibility of following her suggestion, even though it is more expense?

I am just so sad that both Ann and yourself went into this with rubbish knees, and after pain and suffering came out with ............ er, different kind of rubbish knees. Hopefully Ann's is going to be sorted very soon now. But I am truly worried for you that if this is not dealt with, it could lead to more pain and problems further down the line.

Sorry to sound like a comic soothsayer ' Woe woe and thrice woe' - but I want you to be better Ellen.

(BTW @nana moon - before surgery I had a huge lump hanging out of my knee, that coincided with when the pain was worst. The first time I had it I thought it was my kneecap moved out of place. OS told me that when things are bad inside the knee joint, fluid builds up to such an extent that the knee cannot contain it, so it squishes out into wherever there is a gap (in my case top outer portion of my knee above knee cap) and causes a firm bulge. Hopefully your 'bulge' will be dealt with on 22nd).

Enjoy your lazy weekend @DogLoverx3 -
Love and hugs XXXX
 
I am going to join in and suggest you see or talk to a good revisionist. I don't know if you are able to get medical care in Texas but Dr Maale in Plano - RestAssured's doctor is one of the best in the world.

You are too young to have all these issues and deserve much much more!

Xoxoxo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom