TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DogLoverx3 I don't know. If I had continued pain I would want to certainly risk a revision to see if I couldn't "fix it". My left knee has been acting up as a reminder as to why I went through this with the right one in the first place and can not imagine living with this kind of pain forever.

My right knee, my TKR knee, feels almost natural at this point, maybe a little "tight" at times but certainly no pain. My left knee, which definitely needs to be replaced, is painful to even walk on at times, almost "giving out", though it doesn't seem to interfere with my golf swing ( yet - :) ), so I will continue to explore the possibility of cortisone injections just to get me into January so everything "resets" from an insurance perspective. If a revision IS needed on either knee sometime in the future I would not hesitate to try it as a long term remedy.
 
Hey Dogloverx3 , just checking in on you. I pray one day you get that knee pain free. Happy belated birthday by the way. And I see you went back to mexico, lucky bum !! I also see that you have been busy catering. Economy seems to be getting better and obviously real estate is booming. Im really beginning to feel normal at work. They knee is bionic and now my body is catching up. Lower back , no issues !! Im beginning to feel better than I could of imagined before my surgery. Plus ive been going to the gym 3 days a week. Burning fat and gaining muscle. Well Dogloverx3 , hang in there. Iceman
 
So glad you're doing so well @icep707 . Way to go on getting back to the gym as well!

@TexasTee , I'm having my CT Scan on Tuesday at 1pm. No clue how long it will take to get results (or who I even get them from), but will be nice to know.

@Phil75070 , maybe my opinion will change down the road when a revision is absolutely necessary (due to me outliving my knee), but no, as of now, no way. I'm not sure if you've read 5 million pages back to what a hard time I've had, especially at the beginning. A lot of that had to do with being alone, being self employed and other factors that have not changed. I would NOT have a revision now. I'm still alone, still have to work and still remember all that I went through. I think we all had different levels of pain going in and different expectations as well as different recoveries. I was by no means informed enough. While most have great recoveries, I just have not been one of the lucky ones and won't put myself thru it again anytime soon. That's not meant to scare anyone off from this surgery or having a revision, it's just my opinion and outlook on this.

I've survived my crazy week and rewarded myself by taking my friends daughter out to dinner and to see a very funny movie tonight (Guardians of the Galaxy). Thought it looked totally stupid in the ads, but it was just good. Snarky, witty and made me laugh. Richard is uber ticked at me for all I put him through this week, so this weekend will be spent puttering around the house and taking it easy.

@dogwheels & @hopefaith , I think a bit of confusion with the 'Indian Style' translation across the pond may have to do with the fact that it's based on Native Americans and not those from India. I never even thought that calling it what I always had could be taken derogatorily (then again, I'm far from the most PC person on the planet). I could have actually explained the above in a hugely crass, yet kinda funny way, but refrained (you're welcome). ;-)

@dogwheels , how did your daughter's hearing aid fitting go?

I will have time to catch up over the weekend (when not covered in orange paint), so apologies to those that I did not tag or mention. xoxoxoxo
 
I'm joining in a bit late here, are we talking about sitting crossed legged here?
@DogLoverx3 , I totally understand you not wanting a revision, you've been through such a lot this year, but as @TexasTee says, it will be such a shame to go through all that you have and still end up with a brace. I will be thinking of you Tuesday, hope you get an answer that can lead to the end of your pain.
 
Hi @DogLoverx3

I wish I had never said anything about the Indian style sitting now! Just that I had never heard the expression before and wanted to know what seating position could be so desirable. It's not cross-legged @Ellejay, it's cross legged with your thighs sort of flat to the floor, yoga style. @Pumpkln has given a whole load of alternative names a page back, I particularly liked the Pretzel one. One reason I asked was that my Dad who had served in the army in the Middle East had an extremely non-PC name for sitting on your haunches with your feet flat to the floor. It is a position that a lot of Western people find uncomfortable, but is widely used in the ME and Asia as the most comfortable and usual. When you said 'Indian style' I immediately thought of that. Here in UK our first thought would be Indians from India, not Native Americans. You have to be so careful here not to offend. At this point I will cease all conversation on this subject as I am likely to put my foot in it and say something bad.

Thanks for asking about my daughter Ellen - the fitting went well and she is literally over the moon with the difference it has made and the things she can hear, that she didn't realise she was missing before. I have just posted a pic of how discreet the fitting is on NM27's page. Amazing.
She is currently finding traffic noise a bit of a challenge as it is now so loud and she didn't realise before. Our hopes are that now her brain is not on overload, trying to process the sounds she hears naturally plus lip read at the same time, she will not be so tired. At the assessment last week they had a clever 'sensurround' system that replicated noise levels in a busy bar/restaurant - she was only receiving 40% in the damaged ear, which is really low. The consultant still doesn't know the cause, but says that this pattern of hearing loss, which is like a predisposed old persons hearing loss pattern, is becoming more and more prevalent in young people and as yet, they do not know why.

Hope your CT provides some info that will help with the management of issues with Richard. I hope so much that they find something that is easily fixable without the need of surgery, or that something shows a muscle or soft tissue problem that will get better with time, even if you need help with a brace and meds to get to that point.
I guess my friend, you just want to KNOW what's going on - as only by knowing can you deal with it and make decisions.

I have everything crossed for you, apart from my legs as they will never, ever, be able to get in 'THAT' position.

Take care Ellen and enjoy your weekend

XXOOXX
 
@dogwheels @Ellejay - in my use of the word Indian style it only means sitting cross legged - NOT lotus - the yoga term is easy pose. I don't see Richard going along with lotus...

Dogwheels - I spent a semester in China and tried "sitting" that way - yikes, it's so hard and even in my 20s my knees said no thanks!

Enjoy your puttering Ellen - let Richard call the shots for the weekend :-)
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 just in case I have wifi trouble, I I hope that all goes well on Tuesday with the CT X Will you get the results the same day or do you have to wait? Xxxxx
Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 , not sure when (or who from), I will get the CT results. Thank you for your good wishes.

I have been chipping out broken tiles on my floor this morning. Yes, a lovely vision that must provide of me, plopped down on the ground with my knee at whatever angle it can go, attempting to chip out tiles with a hammer and some other piece of nameless equipment. I got a whopping 2 done, but couldn't get the right leverage thanks to my knee to do anything more. Then it came time to get back up. Er, uhm, yeah, tile. No good. Nothing to grab onto to pull myself up nor am I able to kneel on hard tile, so off to the bedroom I scooted, dusting the hallway with my tush (that was for you @dogwheels ) ;-)

I'm off for a laser tattoo removal/torture session in a bit and have some cooking to do this afternoon, but aside from that, I've been a bump on a log.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! xoxoxox
 
Just a quickie to hope all goes well with the CT scan tomorrow. Hope you get the results quickly, and that what it shows will assist in getting that knee better soon.

Be thinking of you.

Hugs and other related sloppy stuff XXX
 
Thanks @dogwheels .... I found out today that the CT is going to cost me upwards of $700 ... lovely. They BETTER find something! ;-)
 
Yikes! The miracles of modern science don't come cheap - hope you get your answers.
 
Hi @TexasTee ! The CT was quick and painless (aside from the hit my wallet took). I am able to go get a copy of the summary report tomorrow afternoon! I'm glad that I will know, finally, what is, or isn't wrong with my knee. If I find out something is wrong, I'll deal with it. If I find out nothing is wrong, I'll deal with that too. I will go get fitted for whatever brace is appropriate for me and hope that it's a temporary thing. I also found out today, when I called my insurance to whine about the cost of a CT (and because I'm a complete and utter moron when it comes to knowing what does and doesn't count towards my deductible), that my $300 lumbar nerve block that I had should have only cost me my $20 copay as insurance paid the rest. I have to wait to get my EOB in the mail and then go in and request a refund from the pain doctor's office. Uhm, that would have been good to know that the procedures would only cost $20 each time vs $300 each time! At least I know that this is still an option for me then......horrifying and painful, but relatively inexpensive. $100 for the series of 5 is much more appealing than $1500!

Thanks so much for checking in on me....sorry for the ramble....
 
then go in and request a refund from the pain doctor's office

@DogLoverx3 You really shouldn't even have to ask. Anytime, doctor or dentist or pharmacist, where insurance ended up paying them after I already had has resulted in a check being issues to me without asking, and in most cases without even knowing that I was entitled to any kind of refund. I even got a check for 16 cents from my pharmacy because what Medicare didn't cover my supplemental policy did (non drug related).
 
Hi Ellen,

Hope you get the results you are hoping for with the CT scan. I popped over to your thread shortly after you posted on mine. You had told me that I should be taking it easy. Remember? Then onto your thread where you are breaking tiles and dusting the floor with your tush. Perhaps it is you that should be taking it easy! :)

I may not have gone far enough back but is there a story behind the tattoo removal? Is it painfulto have removed? I have never had a tattoo in my life and cannot imagine it. My eldest son has one on his wrist. It is a sad story actually. He went through a painful year where he was in a deep depression and he was cutting himself, a lot. The cutting was on his left arm, which is where he now has the tattoo. When he told me he was going to get it - it is a tattoo to remind him of his struggles and the fact that he made it to the other side, alive - I asked him if he was afraid that it would hurt. He looked at me and gave me a crooked smile and said "really Mom, are you asking me if a tattoo will hurt after all I have done to myself?" I, of course, felt like a moron but he gave me a hug and laughed so I knew I could take my foot out of my mouth without it hitting me on the head. I absolutely hate his tattoo to be honest, but I hate his scars more so I don't dwell on it.

Do you have plans for the long weekend? We are staying close to home. My youngest is having a back to school pool party but other than that there are no major plans. Our oldest just reminded us that we do a movie and dinner every year before school goes back in. Considering he is rarely home, it will be difficult to get that going but we shall see. We will likely see the Expendables 3 and go to Boston Pizza on Sunday night if he is around. I of course will take a "Knee-Cation" as a wise woman has recommended.

I look forward to hearing about the results of the CT Scan.

Take care and take it easy! Hire someone to do your tiles with the money you saved at the doctor's :)
 
Can't wait to hear what you find out - I know that you'll deal with it regardless but so much better to not have to GUESS anymore! Terrific news about the co-pay and my experience has always been like Phil's - random checks for the difference show up after any medical procedure requiring more than one doctor visit. Better than extra bills!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom