TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
whoa I missed that.....your PT rolls his eyes at you? I wouldn't be able to keep quiet if mine did that.
 
I read and when you answered you aren't happy you had your replacement done....really? May I ask why? I mean I am only 5 weeks out...but where I was the day I walked into surgery and now is night and day. I can do so much more now than I ever dreamed of for the past three years.
Even with having a revision in front of me, this time I will walk into the hospital. For primary TKR I could hardly walk, and was pretty much non weight bearing on the arthritic damaged knee. Am I glad I had it done, yes. Do I wish it had turned out better, yes. Onward :yes:
 
Even with having a revision in front of me, this time I will walk into the hospital. For primary TKR I could hardly walk, and was pretty much non weight bearing on the arthritic damaged knee. Am I glad I had it done, yes. Do I wish it had turned out better, yes. Onward :yes:

I think it's like that with anything in life. I told my PT the other day through tears...."WHY didn't anyone tell me how hard this was going to be...I wouldn't have done it?!" She looked at me.....and said "we can't change what use to be, we can't keep asking why's what if's and what for's....but we can move forward with this....it's done....and you have to gain the strength to get stronger...".... I know everyone is different.....For three years I was barely walking and I waitressed through it all.....crying every day on a HUGE knee.....

So Pumpkin...what is the revision you are having done? Can I ask why, some how I have missed that on here....and I like your attitude of Onward. :)
 
@Karringtyn,
Do not want to de rail @DogLoverx3 thread, just click on the blue link in my signature, that will take you to my thread.
I cannot imagine how painful all that walking and waitressing was :yikes:.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Pumpkln - i'm going to see how Tuesday goes with him. If I'm not happy, then I'll look for another PT to help me thru all of this

@Karringtyn , mine is not a 'typical' recovery. I have had to work since day 10 and have not had the opportunity to rest, ice & elevate as much as I should have. Being self employed means if I don't work, I don't get my bills paid. While I am certainly not where I think I should be at this point, I also know a lot of this is my own fault. While I had a lot of pain and swelling prior to my TKR, it did not prevent me from doing anything. I would just strap on a knee brace and load up on pain meds. I was under the impression that I would be able to just as much as before and the fact is that I am able to do much less. I am hopeful that this is temporary, but I am not one to just post the flowery things on here as I think that has helped to contribute to many people thinking that something is wrong with their TKR or them. I've had more downs than ups in my recovery, but I will have faith that all of this temporary. I'm sorry if my post made you sad or feel sorry for me. That wasn't my intention. It's just my truth. No, I am not happy that I had this surgery. I am also hopeful that will change in the future. Xoxoxo


emd
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - thanks for the kind words. I had a brain wave and have emailed the lovely and very motherly secretary of my OS. Kept it short but succinct by enlisting the help of my husband aka ' King of the pithy email - he who can précis a book down to a sentence'. So hopefully she will have the details first thing in the morning and will be prepared and anticipating my call.

Enough about knees, how is the newly-lasered tattoo site??
Was it a big one? Was it somewhere embarrassing? Was the tattoo itself embarrassing? Was it a great big Barry Manilow???? Go on, you can tell us ......

XX
 
Poor you @DogLoverx3, tendonitis is painful, I hope your PT can help. I've never heard of Kineseo Tape, maybe it's called something else over here.
I make Seville orange marmalade, I do the same recipe every year and even though I say so myself, it is rather good. I've even won a prize for it in our local show. I used to take it to work to sell, and I have to make lots as my son, daughter and Dad all expect me to provide them with all their marmalade now.
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
Hope you manage to sort you knee pain out, it must be very difficult working with that going on as well.
hugs xxx
 
Haha, I am a big fan of Barry ManiIow, and Hellen Reddy & Neil Diamond and I am not embarrassed! So, @dogwheels & @icep707 as for the tattoo -nope, no tramp stamp, no ones name emblazoned across my tush and nothing embarrassing. Just one on my shoulder blade from when I was 19 and then another that I just got a few years ago under an amazing looking church key with the words 'live, love laugh'.....sadly, as this was done at the top of my spine, I couldn't see it being done and the tattoo artist sadly sucked. Once the wonky one is gone, I will most likely have those words re-tattooed elsewhere on my person. ;) People are always surprised to find that I have tattoos and I keep them well hidden, but I Iove them
 
Soooo cute @Ellejay !! I'm glad you had you ghost-writer to help with your e-mail to your OS's secretary @dogwheels ! Pays to have connections!!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 today has been a better day today. Pain was less but stiffness, swelling, tightness more tonight. I noticed a longer gap between my paracetamol (Tylenol) today. The only problem was the pain started, which then made me realise I'd gone over time on them. However, within half an hour of taking the paracetamol the pain was back under control. I took less morphine today as well. I think the dry, warm, sunny weather were having here at the moment is helping immensely. I'm in bed early. Thought id do my posts early and try sleeping at a reasonable time.

Happy 3 month ankneeversary !!! Two weeks just over I think. WTG with the tattoo removal my brave lady I admire your strength in having those removed. I look forWard to reading your posts when you get back in.

I think you are right to try the Tramadol/Tylenol combi. Especially while you have this problem with your knee. Catch you later hopefully x

Love Nana moon27 x x x:puppysmooze:XoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoXoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, @DogLoverx3 I think I'm another planet sometimes. I realised you are back from your tattoo removal how did it go? Have you done anything interesting this afternoon? X Oxoxoxoxoxx x:puppysmooze:
 
Tattoo removal may be the only process slower than TKR recovery ;) You can only go once a month and today was my 6th session. Could take anywhere from 3-15 visits. Ugh. I've been working on packing and getting rid of things this afternoon. My knee is being pesky as always. Tight sore and painful. Yey me! ;)
 
:puppysmooze:Ah @DogLoverx3 I still think you are so brave. I found a bag of my lovely heeled shoes and felt gutted. I don't know what I am even going to be able to wear on my feet when I wear a dress or skirt. The other day I wore Velcro t bar flats because nothing else was right. It's so depressing x x very unflattering I felt absolutely frumpy x x x:puppysmooze:Xoxoxox
 
I got rid of a lot of my heels last week. I kept a few pairs just in case though. I only wear tennis shoes (slip ons as for some weird reason, I can't tie shoe laces because I have to put my knee at a funny angle it doesn't like) or zip up flat boots. Will be interesting to see what shoes we can wear as time goes on. I love flip flops but don't think those will be a good idea in the future as it's so easy to trip/slip in them. I'm glad you knee is doing okay(ish) today! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 I bought the most gorgeous lo heeled nude wedges. Due to my weight loss they are a full half size too big! I was gutted. I only bought them just before Christmas. I wore them once while I was away. I hanging on to them in case I put on the pounds again. Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :puppysmooze:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 how Are you getting on with the packing? When I moved house the last time I found loads of stuff I forgot I even had!!! A lot of it went in the bin! I found it very stressful, even though I started to pack a long time before the moving date.

Are you looking forward to this lovely new start?

Btw I was told flip flops and mules put too much strain in the knee. I was also told that any sandals I wear should have proper straps to hold them in place. I can't wear ballerina pumps either they kill my feet and my knee x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :puppysmooze:
 
I hope you and Woodstock have had an awesome weekend full of walks and fun!

Indeed we did, Ellen!... after spending Thursday and Friday visiting with and helping my mother over on the mainland. Her second husband passed away (very peacefully) on Tuesday so it was good to be there for a while. But the last couple of days back here have been a flurry of doggy walks and yard maintenance, and this afternoon the grandkids arrived to hang out with us this week.... Good thing the days are getting longer, and I really like the switch back to Daylight Savings Time!

I really hope you can find a better PT to get you back on track so you can get some permanent relief: God knows you've been such a rock and you deserve to be able to put all this recovery/rehab stuff behind you!
Cheers, Al
 
Oh @saltyal , I'm sorry to hear about your mom's husband. Glad you were able to be with her at such a difficult time.

Yes, I'm very frustrated right now. Although I overdo things, I am pretty upset that doing t. Thing that I thought would keep me on track and would look out for me, has ignored my complaints of pain and most likely caused this new issue. :( Now on top of my 'normal' TKR pain, I have very sharp stabbing pains when doing nothing more than standing up or walking. No real clue what I'm supposed to do now and I have a couple very busy weeks coming up.

Pet Woodstock for me!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom