TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Sorry about your sister. I know what it is to have pride and want to be strong for others. However, my pastor's wife taught me that sometimes when we won't let others help us, we are keeping them from feeling special and valuable by helping. It makes us feel good when we do for others. Let those kids and neighbors know the joy of helping. Sometimes pride really is foolish. Be good to yourself!
 
Thanks. Yes, pride certainly is foolish and my stubborn craziness about not allowing people to help is probably a large part of why I'm still single. ;-) I never want to be perceived as 'weak' and need to realize that there's a difference between acting helpless and genuinely needing help. No worries about my sister; it wouldn't be a day in my family if everyone was talking to everyone else....

I need to go look up the pain med article in the library. I don't know what everything is and what can be combined with what. After years and years of knee issues, I have an entire pharmacy at home so should probably find out what's good and what's bad .....
 
I raised my daughter to be independent and able to take care of herself financially. Well, she is 31 and single. I NEED GRANDBABIES!!!!! :heehee: Hope today is better for you.
 
31 is young....you'll get your grand-babies, not to worry! :D

I managed to get more than 20 minutes of sleep last night, so today is better thanks. :) (nights seem to be when I prefer to have my self pittying crying fits though) :/
 
Yeah, if you're not sleeping it definitely affects your moods. Sounds like sticking to your regularly scheduled meds for a day or two while things settle down before you start trying to mess with any reductions makes sense.
 
Nights were rough for me also. In and out of bed all through the night. I would alternate between the bed and lift recliner. Got in a lot of reading, computer time and crossword puzzles. Napping during the late morning or early afternoon was essential for me. Turning on my side and putting my knee and leg on a pillow helped when in bed. I was 3 months out when I could start staying in bed all night. Hope you start getting more zzzzs soon!
 
  • I'm so looking forward to the night I can sleep more than an hour or so. The night before last, I only slept for 20 minutes at most so I was absolutely exhausted yesterday and unable to nap. Not sure if it was that I actually found a semi comfortable (ha) position in which to sleep last night or that I just passed out from exhaustion, but the few hours I got was much needed! I am going to hold off on trying to fiddle with my pain meds for a few more days. I just don't think I'm ready for that. My knee yells at me should I go 30 seconds past the 4 hours in between doses (actually, it only seems to work for closer to 3)....... not looking forward to it...
 
@janae ~ ugh, 3 months, huh? ;-) Yes, lots of fidgeting and once I finally am able to get my leg positioned properly on the pillows, with the ice balanced just right and the covers over my toes I inevitably have to go the bathroom; or can't reach my phone; or 20 other things that make me have to get back up. Crazy what a process it is to try and settle in :loll:

I've tried the side sleeping with the leg on pillow and it's not working so hot for me ~ my knee feels kinda off center when I do it. My knee is also hypersensitive to fabric touching it, so I'm still trying to figure that part out....
 
@DogLoverx3.....definitely ask about stepping down to Tramadol. It works well for a lot of people and can fill in that gap between the strong prescription stuff and over the counter meds.
 
@Jamie ~ perfect! Thanks so much for your input. I remember, of all the assorted pain meds I was getting in the hospital (morphine, oxy, tramadol), that I felt that Tramadol worked fairly well when in a pinch and between slots for the really strong stuff.

Hopefully my OS will agree (or I'll go to my GP as suggested) and I can save my big stash of newly purchased Tylenol for when things don't seem quite so daunting.
 
With my last knee, I switched from hydrocodone to Tramadol at about the 3 week mark. I took the Tramadol for a while and then started reducing it and adding in Tylenol for the next month or so. It worked really well for me.
 
With my hips, OS stepped down the pain meds from Percocet to hydrocodone before I went on to just acetomenephin (sp?). I still can't get my sleep patterns straightened out, and still don't really have my stamina back That energy drain is very real, especially with two surgeries close together like I had.
 
Almost made it the whole day yesterday without crying but darn it, at 11:45pm, after having tried to get comfortable for over an hour, I started blubbering. Boo.

PT was okay yesterday. I asked my therapist to take it easy on me and he did and was very sympathetic. He also did fess up that I am apparently 'a little behind' in my recovery but still doing well, so not to fret. I had been using my cane the 2 days prior, but after being scared when my knee gave out on me and almost falling in a parking lot, I am back to using my walker. :( I never 'planned' on using my walker for more than a week, but find it very reassuring.

today has been better. Although I needed to go to the post office, grocery store and had to do some cooking, I've been able to rest, ice & elevate a lot. I even managed to take a nap! Woohoo. My pain is a bit better today and the sharp, shooting pains on the sides of my knee are less frequent. I havent even attempted to 'step down' on my pain meds. That can wait.

I've re-started the clock on the crying meter, so here's hoping for a tear free evening! :D. I hope evryone has had a good day!
 
A good boo-hoo is a good release and totally understandable. It's fine to stick with the walker for a while, especially outside. As you noted, it's important to be stable. You don't win anything by switching from the walker at a set time. ;)
 
Thanks @kneeper. I do feel 'behind' the rest in that I'm still using my walker when out and about but you're right, I'm not going to win any awards for not doing so. ;-)

I am a caterer by profession and had to be at a breakfast yesterday for a group of people that I've worked with for years. By and large, they were all very supportive/concerned/sweet about my being there and making sure that I was okay and not doing too much. Of course, there was the one dummy that felt the need to say to me 'you had your knee replaced 3 weeks ago and you're STILL using a walker? I have friends that are just fine 3 weeks out'. No clue what his motivation in saying something like that to me was other than to make me feel like poop, but whatever.

I know I've done too much since my TKR. I never realized that just standing, cooking or moving around could be too much, but it apparently is. I've resolved to not work AT ALL next week (I actually turned down 2 jobs already which is painful in it's own right), so I can dedicate the week to truly trying to gain some ground on my recovery.

I find myself a bit 'stuck'. My ROM is not improving (@90/-5). My knee is still very swollen, tight, stiff and sore. I am still taking my pain meds by the clock and have not cut back on anything yet. I am wondering, however, what everyone thinks my week should 'look' like, since I can't get a handle on what is 'too much'. I live alone, so I am up getting ice pacs, snacks, drinks, etc.... but aside from that and trips to the bathroom and a few laps around the house mixed in with some light stretches and such between PT sessions, what should I be doing all day? I ice and elevate as much as possible as it is (anytime I'm sitting and a minimum of 6 or so times a day), but can't imagine doing that pretty much round the clock. However, if that's what is best, then that is what I will do. I'm having some lower back pain issues as well (i assume from all the laying/sitting around), so that makes it a bit challenging to get comfortable with the knee. Just not sure how much I should be on my feet at 4 weeks out. Especially since I've been up and around doing things I should not have been doing since week 2, I could use some help on 'stepping things back'. I've stocked up on frozen meals and soup so I won't need to cook for myself. I realize I'm going about this backwards as 4 weeks is usually when people should start stepping up their activities, but I guess better late than never?

I appreciate everyone's support and advice. Although my 'roller coaster ride' has not been too much fun as of now, I know things will and are getting better little bits at a time. OH! And I FINALLY have my doggies home, so that's a good thing!:dancy:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi- I loved your comments about those who had made miraculous recoveries! I have heard of those who leap out of bed within hours and are all singing /dancing :happydance: I honestly believed that would be me and yet I have found this journey one of the most difficult I have EVER had to take in my whole life. I am on a rollercoaster of emotions, I am worried life will never be the same again and that this knee, which doesn't feel like mine, will continue to cause me problems despite my efforts. Then there are times when I think- hey I can do something today that I couldn't do yesterday!!!
 
Hi @Lel ! I'd love to actually meet one of these urban legend recoveries. ;-) I think people have selective memory when it comes to things like this and bless those that can only remember the good and filter out the bad, but the fact is, THIS IS HARD! I've been on the roller coaster right there with you this entire time and some days it is impossible to see the light thru the trees, but it's the little accomplishments (being able to sleep more than 20 minutes, being able to get into the non walk-in shower without reciting a litany of 4 letter words, being able to go to the store, being able to lift my leg a whopping 2 inches off the ground on it's own, etc....) that allow me to see that things are getting better. They're just taking their own sweet time in doing so (darn it).

I had NO CLUE that this process would be so hard fought and painful. Silly me. I tell my friends that my '9' pain rating pre-surgery would be like a 2 on 'this' pain scale, but there are too many people that are thrilled with the after effects to think that I (or you) are going to be the one person that regrets doing it in the end.

We both need to keep up the good work and know that in the end, we're going to be dancing around like these spastic little emoticons. We just need patience (not a virtue of mine). :-)
 
As I had a fairly good day yesterday ~ not a lot of pain, just tons of stiffness & tightness, I opted to try stepping down my pain meds before bed. I took just 1 of my 5mg Oxy + 1,000 mg of Tylenol PM, when I awoke a few hours later, I took another 5 mg Oxy + 1,000 mg Tylenol and guess what? NO BUENO! Awoke in more pain than I've felt for a while. :yikes: I think it's way too early for me to try and step down my pain meds. I am back to taking my 2 oxy, by the clock, every 4 hours and when those run out in a few short days, I will be calling for either a new script or one for Tramadol ( as it's been suggested that that would be a good 1st step 'down'). OTC will be sitting on MY counter for quite a while yet it appears....

The dogs are being very good with me and my knee. Although I don't seem to be able to keep one of them off the bed (they're usually allowed, I'm just afraid he's going to flop on my knee 'cause he's a bit of a spaz), they are very gentle with me. Very glad they're back. :spin:
 
It's good to have your best buddies with you. I had (at the time) 3 large dogs and they too were good about staying clear of the walker - at least until my husband put tennis balls on it to help with the sliding. It was hilarious! They were almost stomach-crawling chasing after the tennis balls - one on either side! It looked like I was pulling them behind me.

I used the walker for different lengths of time with each TKR. I didn't transition to the cane until my PT felt comfortable with my balance. I did use it on outings for a bit longer, mostly because I was concerned about people in public bumping into me.

I had heard a lot about Tramadol here and asked my GP to prescribe it for my arthritis when OTC just didn't cut it. I noticed no difference in taking Tramadol and taking nothing. The "cocktail" of Tylenol and Ibuprophen works really, really well (at least for me) when I have heavy-duty pain from whatever. But yes, continue to take your prescriptions until you don't need them. Contrary to what a lot of OS tend to believe (be afraid of?) most people choose to stop taking them when they're not needed any longer.

Good luck - the sleep will make a HUGE difference when it finally comes. 4 weeks out I was off the vicodin so felt comfortable taking 2 Advil PM's. I slept for 12 hours! Prior to that, getting more than 1 1/2 hours at a time was a treat.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom