TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DogLoverx3 BRING YOUR BABIES HOME!! I live alone, too, except for 2 labrador retriever crosses. Though usually a bit psycho when I first come home after being gone (even for 5 minutes), they were quite respectful of me with my hips. Good thing -- I sure didn't need a combination of almost 200 pounds of dog leaping up on me and my walker. I think the walker was a little off-putting to them, too, which was probably a good thing also.

I have dog doors, too, so they could come and go out as they pleased and did not seem to suffer for not going on walks. I couldn't walk them for a while before the surgeries, either, and they got through it just fine. Feeding them was a bit of a challenge (getting the dishes down on the floor without violating my bending restrictions). I figured out that I could mix up their food, and bend over just a bit and drop each dog's dish straight down and that worked out pretty well -- a couple of time some (or most) of the food spilled out, but they didn't seem to mind at all; they just ate it off the floor. My dogs eat on separate sides of the kitchen, and each one knows where he/she eats, so we didn't have confrontations over food. I learned to pick the empty dishes back up by using my grabber. I also learned it is easier to pick them up if you first flip them over with your grabber.

Keeping water in their big dish wasn't quite as easy to figure out, since I couldn't pick it up to fill it or put new water in, so I would just refill it from a mixing bowl by pouring the new water down into the dish. A bit messy, but again, no one seemed to mind. And when anyone would come over, including my pastor (also a dog lover), I'd get them to pick up the dish so I could wash it out completely, then have them put all clean water in it and put it back down. My grandsons would come over and do pooper scooper duty in the backyard for me. It all worked out fine. And I was able to keep my much beloved doggies with me. They are so calming and loving, and they did not once hurt me or act like they were going to jump on me; they didn't even do their "I am really just an overgrown lap dog" thing and try to get in my lap. I think dogs know when something isn't quite right.

You will feel so much better with your doggies back home to comfort you!

Peace and love to you.
 
DogloverX3 - it is not your fault for not asking. Most doctors do not think of recovery and what patients go through however, there are supposed to be people in the hospital (social workers and such before discharge) that should be asking questions and arranging home care and making sure you are safe when you leave the hospital.

The fault with your OS is that he does not have a good system in the hospital for this and does not provide enough general information. Most doctors hate to say that your recovery might be tough or might take longer than x wks when asked.

Careful about overdoing including in PT. If it is the muscle that hurts, you might want to try putting some heat on the muscle but not on the knee - ice on the knee. I was getting muscle spasms with my first knee and even my OS said to heat the muscle. I would put a heating pad plus some moist pad on the muscle (quads on the front of the knee and keep ice around the knee joint itself. I did not keep the heat on all the time but I did ice pretty much anytime I was in bed,recliner and not walking. Remember ice and elevation is your friend.

This site has the best information from real people with real experiences - much better than anything from hospital or OS and my OS was great and has great office staff. This site gave me the perspective and sanity I needed to get through recovery.
 
I have been having pain in the knee joint itself, and over the outside edge, I think in the same spot you are describing. I also have random zings and spasms and other weird feelings that come from out of nowhere. This is all tissue still in the process of healing...don't let the PT push you beyond the feeling of a good stretch (which to me means the stretch feels good), or you will keep injuring the tissue. When I have pain, I tell him and back off the exercise that hurts, so I may only bend until I start to feel an impact. Also, if my knee feels swollen and stiff the next day, I may not do all the home exercises that day...I'd rather let those tissues rest and heal, with elevation and ice.

Everyone is different and each individual has to approach their recovery in their own way. You are the only person who knows how your knee is really feeling, and you are the only person who can determine its limits. We humans tend to ignore the signals our body sends us that tell us to slow down...I guess that's part of our crazy "get things done now" culture...

I love the mantras here...if it hurts, don't do it...if the world won't end if you don't do it, don't do it...my new mottos!! Hang in there!
 
Hi there - I saw your reply on my post and sought you out since you and I have similar op dates. Like you, I was unprepared for the pain and the length of time of recovery and the dependency on others. I am fortunate to have a new boyfriend who has basically moved in and taken care of everything for me. He is a godsend although I am worried that this whole unglamorous experience will affect our relationship. Nothing like being in pain, constipated, on drugs, and basically immobile to test out a new relationship. He just smiles and goes and buys me organic prunes and frozen peas.

If I did this again or counseled anyone I'd heavily stress the need for going to a rehab or having someone at home to help. I can't imagine how you've done this alone and I agree with the others to bring your dogs home. Mine is with me by my side whether I'm icing or hobbling or on this forum! He was actually the cause of the original injury - he ran into me ten years ago and broke my leg right at the knee, dislocated the knee and everything in it. But it didn't deter our love for each other :-) ironically I had him with me hiking last year and going downhill he went one way and I went the other and the knee paid the price. That was the last thing it could take which pushed my ortho to suggest a partial which quickly turned into a full replacement.

The last thing I'll say is that I had a friend who did this at 63 - 17 years older than I am, (I'm also 46) and she was driving at 16 days postop! I wanted to be able to follow her timetable but this forum has really helped me to understand the need to moderate and follow the knee and not my head! I'm so grateful for all the moderators and Josephine and all the experiences which help me understand I am right where I am supposed to be - for me.

I've definitely had some post-op blues but today is much better. Hang in there - it's a daily journey!
 
I'm having a horrible day :-( my knee has been THROBBING since yesterday. Nothing seems to make it feel better, I can't sleep, can't get comfortable and I am so darn tired of being in pain all the time. I'm not sure if it's because I drove yesterday and today or not, but it's the outside and inside of my knee that is killing me. I think I have my leg at an angle so I can easily (ha) transition from the gas to the brake. Sort of felt like my knee was 'crooked' earlier and kept popping when I walked.

I think I've done too much today with the doctor visit as well as trying to get my pain meds refilled 2 different places (who ever heard of a pharmacy running out of Oxycodone?). I've walked more steps today than I have yet and I've used my cane instead of my walker, so that may have something to do with it to.

My 1st follow up visit went well with the exception of finding out that I'm a moron. Uhm, those weren't staples. Those were sutures encrusted with blood, so they appeared black. When I asked the SA how they went about taking out embedded staples, she thanked me for the laugh and says that she doesn't use staples. And I actually said 'are you sure?'. Duh.

She was happy with my bend and my extension, and I saw my OS on the way out as he was on the computer when I was leaving so I stopped to chat for a bit. He asked how I was feeling and I kinda laughed and he shook his head and said he knew and he understood and that he's sorry that there's just no way around all the hard work and pain of recovery. He was very nice and sympathetic, I just would have preferred some sort of miracle tip.

I have another post op in 3 weeks, so I will work on getting my stuff (bend, extension, attitude) in a better place. The SA did refill my oxy for another 10 days, but wants me to start alternating that with Tylenol (which I forgot to get while at the drug store today - boo). I hope everyone had a good day.
 
So sorry to hear @DogLoverx3, that you've had a bad day today. I suspect that you know exactly why that happened, don't you? It may not have seemed like you were doing that much, when compared to your pre-surgery days, but you really did try to tackle an awful lot in one day. The knee DOESN'T like it, and will not hesitate to let you know. So you know what you've gotta do, right? REST, ICE, ELEVATE, TAKE PAIN MEDS, and SLEEP and tomorrow will be better. And next time, you'll be able to do a little bit more...

Take care!
 
Thanks Elaine. I know I did too much today, but it's really hard going through this on my own when no one is available to help. It's either do it myself, or it doesn't get done so although I would have loved to have had someone to go get my RX filled for me today, that just wasn't an option. :-( I'm thinking I should just buy stock in Kleenex as I seem to be going through a lot of them lately ;-)
 
That makes two of us for the Kleenex stock! Except that I started cheaping out and now I buy the Target brand!! I apologize if I sounded harsh, I really didn't mean to. What I learned the last time (and it's really helping me this time) was that if I did overdo it and felt lousy on one day that I did NOT have the right to criticize myself and feel like I had let myself down. I just needed to make accommodations to take it easier the next day and the next until I felt better again. It seems like it takes a really long time to build up the strength and endurance but it does come in small increments. So hang in there and have as many good cries as you need to as often as you need to! Things will begin to look up slowly but surely. Here's to wishing you a good day tomorrow!
 
You weren't harsh at all :D anyway, sometimes I need to be smacked in the head with the obvious ;)

I'm going to need to start cheaping out on the tissues too .... going thru too darn many of them!

so
 
DogLover.....if you're hurting, are you taking the maximum dose of your pain meds right now? Taking them as frequently as you can? You should. Also, be sure you are non-stop icing and resting. The pain will settle soon.
 
I am Jamie ~ every 4 hours by the clock :-( still not helping. I've been icing and resting as much as possible today (which wasn't as much as I should). Will do nothing but ice & elevate tomorrow and also thinking about skipping my PT appointment tomorrow as well.

As an added bonus, my lower back is starting to hurt from all this laying around. Thinking I need to add a heating pad to my shopping list......

I know it will get better. I'd just like for it to get better NOW ;-)
 
Yep.....understand the patience thing. I'm reminded of the old saying, "God please grant me patience and, by the way, I want it RIGHT NOW!!!"

I agree that you should skip therapy if you are still hurting.
 
wondering how everyone else has done with transitioning from Oxycodone to Tylenol? I'm very afraid of 'big' pain coming back so probably won't even try for a few more days. Was going to get some Tylenol PM as well as x-tra strength in the hopes that it might help me sleep (haha)..
 
We are about at the same place - I'm still using Dilaudids and now adding Advil in between. The nights are still very difficult and emotions all over the place. Keep posting here - there's lots of support. Usually after 1-2 bad days I get a good day and it's enough to keep going and it IS getting better. Hang in there - so sorry you don't have more physical support. Thinking of you.
 
wondering how everyone else has done with transitioning from Oxycodone to Tylenol?
This seems like a big jump from a stong narcotic to an OTC pain medication. There are other narcotic medications that are not as strong that would be a better step down. See your GP they often are better about pain than the OS.
@Jamie may be able to comment further.
 
I always hurt more in my knee when I started using a cane as opposed to the walker. Could you call a local church or high school to see if someone needing service hours (or even for a small fee) could run errands for you? Maybe now would be a good time to reach out to a neighbor to help (you can repay the favor later). Take good care and remember "this too, shall pass".
 
Thanks @Pumpkin. I meant to ask her about Tramadol yesterday, but was more intent on getting my oxy refilled. I have 3 weeks until my next followup with my OS and now have a total of about 110 oxy 5mgs left. I can't imagine downgrading at this point. She suggested taking 1 oxy + 1 Tylenol instead of 2 oxy at a time. She warned me not go over 4000 mg of Tylenol a day, so that would be 8 pills. I don't know if I should even bother trying. That would be great if Jamie could give me some advice/input on this. I just don't want to hurt so much and don't want to end up chasing my pain again.... Wasn't aware I could go to my GP to get pain meds. Kinda thought they would defer to my OS....

@sunshine, I was just thinking about you. Sounds like you and I are in about the same place with emotions all over the place. I'm so glad that you have a new man to help you through all of this. He's definitely a keeper! Going thru this alone absolutely sucks. If I ever have to go through this again I have 2 things on my 'must have' list beforehand: a recliner and a MAN! :)

I was finally able to get a bit of sleep last night so feel a bit better today. I ran/hobbled out to Walmart this morning (used the little electric cart) to pick up a heating pad for my back, some new cold packs (the peas are getting a bit gross), Tylenol & Vitamin E to start working on my scar. Which, btw, hurts! I form lots of scar tissue so I need to massage my scar (ouch) several times a day trying to break that stuff up. Yey me. I'm now back in bed, watching bad tv, with my leg elevated and iced and checking in on my virtual partners in pain on here :). You're right Sunshine, this is a great support system!

Still debating about skipping PT today. If I do go, I'm going to tell him he has to take it easy on me and will absolutely tell him how horrible the past 2 days have been since my last session....

Hope everyone is having a good day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @janae. I thought using the cane vs walker probably had something to do with it. Great ideas and suggestions for getting help. I've got people that I 'could' call to ask for help, it's just hard for me to do. I know my ex bf's kids (they;re 16 & 18) would help me out with anything I need, I just don't want them (or anyone, really) to see me hurting so much or think of me as a bother. I'm on the outs with my twin sister (she took the opportunity on my 3rd night after surgery to take out 46 years of frustration on me) so neither she, or her new family have even bothered to offer. My neighbor did actually call to check up on me yesterday, so that was nice! I guess this is when having best friends out of state really kinda sucks! ;-)
 
I'm not much help with the oxycodone to Tylenol transition, but will tell you what I did. Understand right off that I was almost entirely off opiates within 3 days of surgery, which I well know is not typical. I seldom had to take TWO Lortab, so was actually tapering my doses almost before I started taking it. HOWEVER, I did have a smallish setback and I did go back to taking a half a Lortab for a couple days a week or more after I thought I was off the Lortab for good. I was doing fine on the time release, arthritis strength Tylenol, and was taking the extra strength mid-day, with the Big tylenol in the morning and at bedtime. What I did was take HALF a lortab (which had 250 tylenol in it) along with one and a half extra-strength (500 mg) Tylenols. That way I was getting all the Tylenol I could. If your oxycodone doesnt have tylenol built in, go ahead and take your full dose with a full dose (1000 mg Tylenol) with it, then try taking one or a half of an oxycodone with the full dose of Tylenol. You just want to make sure that all of the tylenol you take from whatever source doesnt exceed 4000mg in 24 hours. Before I got down to just Tylenol I was taking Celebrex, and when the Celebrex ran out I took naproxen for a few days to help the Tylenol out a little bit. There's an article in the library about using the different classes of pain meds together. I still have TONS of Lortabs that were prescribed to get me through the first two weeks. If I need 'em I got 'em, but have been reluctant to dip into them since I need to be available to take my pushing 90 mother places, plus might get called in to work on short notice. Honestly, Tylenol and lots of ice have been very very good to me.
 
Cross posted with a couple of folks, just want to add PLEASE ask even aquaintances for help when you need it. Lots of people can step up to the plate and would love to. You are giving them an opportunity to feel useful and for more people than you can imagine this is like a gift.

My best friends are also either out of state or work jobs that make it really impossible for them to help much. Sometimes we have to depend on the kindness of strangers or near strangers. Coworkers, people you know from church or similar places, you would be amazed how many potential sources of help are there. Sometimes just having someone stand by or listen to you vent can be all the help you need.

just a thought--hope you feel better soon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom