TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will chalk up my "textbook perfect recovery" to all the healing doggie vibes!
 
Thanks so much everyone for the words of encouragement about my recovery and about my dogs. :-) I'm going to give myself a couple more days and then have my friend bring them over. I just need to make sure that i'm able to feed them and move around okay without any of them tripping me, but you're all right, my dogs make me very happy and my house just isn't a home without them.

Here's my exciting news for the day. I actually was able to sleep for more than 45 minutes last night! Yipeeee! :happydance:I managed to get my 1st 2 hour stretch in and boy was it needed! I am now a HUGE proponent of taking my pain meds 'by the clock' instead of 'when I need them'. I'm a bit stubborn, but it's finally sunk in that if I wait until I need them, then it's too late and I'm stuck chasing my pain the rest of the day. I have no worries about becoming addicted, and it doesn't mean I'm a whimp if I take them all, so finally, at 3 weeks, I'm going to start paying attention to all you brilliant women!

Yesterday was the 1st day that I really did nothing but ice and elevate. I had friends call and ask if I had gotten up, gone out, done this, done that and I said no to all of them. :egypdance: I just kinda hung out on my 'island' (what I call my bed that is piled with just about everything I could possibly need) and watched tv and played on the computer. Probably has a lot to do with why I was actually able to get a bit of sleep last night!

I did take my 1st solo outing this morning though. Needed to go to the store, so carefully drove myself there, hobbled over to the electric carts, and did my shopping. I was back home within 25 minutes and am now back on the island icing and elevating. I have PT later this afternoon, but aside from that, I'll try my best to take it easy.

Thanks all for being so awesome! Dog lovers are just GOOD people! :)
 
I forgot to address the speed of recovery. My Mom had two replacements and can't understand why (at ten weeks today) I'm failing with my recovery. She had no trouble at all, never needed any PT, and never limited her activities except for the week or so after recovery.

One never wins an argument with their 91 year old mother :sigh: but she's wrong. I assisted with her recoveries and helped her through the "don't ever let me do this again" stages, etc. I think in some ways it's like the pain of labor and you just forget what you went through and move on.

Meanwhile, I try to get passed the guilt trip of not taking her to the mall to walk or shop, or even get her out of her apartment when it's real icy or snowy, because I'm 'failing' at my recovery. :groan:I'm actually doing quite well - pain meds only occasionally, good ROM, etc, but that's because I limit my activities!
 
I have one of those moms too Gimpy ;-) 'selective memory' is apparently a rampant affliction! I certainly hope you don't take her assessment of your 'failing' recovery to heart. You're doing great! It's all a process .... a loooong process ;-)
 
Just got back from a tough PT session. Tried some new bends on my knee and new adventures in pain. I asked my PT to stop and he did. Although he's pleased with my progress, I'm not sure I'm actually 'trying' to use my knee as much as I should. I'm afraid of hurting it and frankly, afraid of the pain. Mid way through my session in jaunts a man, barely using his cane and with an almost perfect gait. I thought he looked familiar and it turns out that he had his TKR the same day that I did. His bend has to be at least 120 and just to look at him, you'd have no idea what he just went through. He's having some different issues post-op that have caused him to not even come to PT for the past almost 2 weeks and he's leaps and bounds ahead of me. :-( My PT could tell that I was 'jealous' of how well he was doing and told me not to get discouraged and that I was doing great, but I can't help but wonder how he's so far ahead of me having not done much of anything since surgery. I guess we're the embodiment of the 'PT vs rest' mode of recovering. OH, and while I took the ramp up to the building with my walker, he took the stairs. *sigh*
 
@DogLoverx3...

Don't even allow the words "fail," "failing," or "failure" enter your vocabulary. And forget all about the Superman Wonder Guy who can do so much. My OS has been wonderfully encouraging by telling me over and over that by the time we get to the six-month point, there are often no measureable differences between the progress that the hares make versus what the tortoises are able to do. In other words, the playing field levels out considerably given six or so months. I like being the tortoise. Maybe you can join me and we can have a club :dancy:
 
I thought he looked familiar and it turns out that he had his TKR the same day that I did.
Do not compare people and their recoveries; somebody will always be moving faster than you---but, what you do not realize, is that, somebody---lots of somebodies---are moving slower than you, too.

It is just frustrating and does you no good to look at others and compare/contrast---you are a unique individual, and your recovery is just that---your recovery.


My PT could tell that I was 'jealous' of how well he was doing and told me not to get discouraged and that I was doing great
This is very true---your PT is absolutely correct.

I did take my 1st solo outing this morning though. Needed to go to the store, so carefully drove myself there, hobbled over to the electric carts, and did my shopping. I was back home within 25 minutes and am now back on the island icing and elevating. I have PT later this afternoon, but aside from that, I'll try my best to take it easy.
You will, when you are completely recovered, be amazed at how easy this will be---except there will be no need for an electric cart. You just go about your daily business and errands and do not worry ab out pain, about being tired, or about finding a parking space or using a cart.
 
PS: I have two very large Golden Retrievers who are keeping me entertained. They've been very respectful of my need for space and not wanting to be bumped. One of them loves to "back in" between my legs for extra petting, but when I say "no more" they'll leave and try to cuddle into a corner of the blanket that's covering me. Gotta love it!
 
Thanks Tim and Elaine ((hugs)). Welcome to my pity party. Today started out being a good one and just kinda went downhill. I need to get over my fear of, well, everything - going out on my own, people pointing and staring, falling down, pain, not progressing fast enough, blah blah blah. I know better than to compare myself and my recovery to anyone. Not sure ever having to ask for help or allowing people to see that I can't do it all on my own will get easier, but I know that today, as bad as it's been, is loads better than 2 weeks ago! And hopefully by next week, things will be even better!

I'm a little nervous about my 1st followup visit tomorrow. It's not with my OS, it's with his Surgical Assistant and I'm less than thrilled about her having to 'go in' and dig out the staples from under my skin in order to remove them. Guessing that's not going to be the best experience of my life.....hopefully she'll make up for that by not giving me a hard time when I ask for pain pill refills ;-)

Here's a pic of my pups, btw.....who doesn't love pictures of cute dogs mixed in with some feeling sorry for themselves ;-) [Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
Here's a pic of my pups, btw.....who doesn't love pictures of cute dogs mixed in with some feeling sorry for themselves ;-) IMG_20131222_120354.jpg

Oh yeah, those cuties have to come home...they will be your best therapists!

This is what should be on your "to do" list for tomorrow....absolutely nothing!! :)
 
You might want to ask the SA to inject just a little bit of Novacaine or Lidocaine before he/she starts working on those stitches that need to come out. It'll reduce the discomfort and make it easier for both of you. I, too, was apprehensive about my first post-op visit, but my doc was very encouraging and pleased with the progress that I had made 12 days after surgery. Prepare to be pretty wiped out after the appointment; and plan to nap and ice for most of the rest of the day, but bask in the feeling of successfully getting to and from the appointment. I agree with @Ziggysmom - get those little guys back home and take it easy!
 
I am sure they have dealt with skin over the staples and will know what to do to make the experience better than what you are expecting.
Let us know how it goes, and hope you get the cute doggies home soon!
 
Just remember to continue being kind to yourself and not overdoing. Sometimes less can be more in the long run. A swollen knee does not like to bend.

Just curious why they left your staples in for so long. Mine were taken out at home by a visiting nurse at 10d both times.

Your puppies being home will give you a lift. They are very cute.
 
a visiting nurse to remove the staples would have been a great option! Although my OS is highly thought of, I am less than thrilled with his practice (very big & state of the art). They have left my staples in so long because the SA, who does all 1st follow-ups apparently, was on vacation last week and no one wants to step on anyone else's toes. They normally get removed at 2 weeks, but I didn't know any better when they scheduled me 3 weeks out :gaah:
 
Well, that's certainly some feedback you ought to give directly to your surgeon next time you talk with him. Leaving staples in because the "one" person who could remove them was out of the office is inexcusable!!! That isn't rocket science!!! Any good nurse could have done it....surely they had some of THOSE in the office!!

If you ever have a "next time" for surgery, be sure to insist on some home health assistance. It's covered by almost any insurance and is very, very helpful.
 
You are totally allowed a pity party! Oh my goodness, you have more patience than most! I had glue but would have been causing a fit if they'd left my staples in because someone was on vacation!

And I got used to going to a store and asking them to carry my bags out to the car. They were always so nice; kind of missed it once I could carry everything again. :)

And photos of our favorite dogs will always lift spirits! Your dogs are cuties!
:yes:
 
I will certainly give feedback on the fact that someone's vacation got put before my staple removal. Geesh, priorities. ;-) That, paired with the fact that my pain meds were only prescribed for 2 weeks when my 1st followup wasn't for 3 kinda makes me angry. I hate feeling like a number and can't believe that no one (including me) picked up on any of this beforehand. Hopefully tomorrow won't be nearly as bad as I fear, and yes, should I ever have to go through this again, I will ask about in home care (and will buy a recliner ~ and an ice machine ~ and won't live in a 2 story house ~ and will fill my freezer with more than 2 weeks worth of frozen dinners ~ and will buy stock in frozen peas). I can't really believe that nothing was mentioned to me. I made sure that my OS knew that I lived alone and that while yes, I do have friends that would help when they could, they all have full time jobs. In the end though, it's my fault for not asking or being more on top of things. Boo.

Anyway, something I did in PT today totally jacked up my knee, so I fear sleep will be eluding me yet again tonight. Can't figure out what, exactly, it was that did it, but it's a 'new' and very special (special = crappy) kind of pain. Think it may have been my straight leg lifts that I worked on as I've had a hard time getting my log/leg to 'listen' when I try to lift it. I don't know why that would make the outside & top of my knee hurt though instead of my quads.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ummmm...... I'm not sure we are allowed to use the "s" word no matter how well deserved....

Yes, adamantly insist on pain meds tomorrow, they should be on top of this managing your pain not playing catch up; and also apologizing for leaving in the staples.

Throughout the first months, different muscles will be aching, hurting, and swelling, part of the recovery process. Ice is always a good, and later on warmth may also help. I used a hand held shower massage and warm water and ran it over my knee and muscles, it helped immensely.
 
Oopsie ~ sorry about the language. I changed it to something a bit more PC. ;-) They better apologize tomorrow, but it's really my fault for not asking/saying something when I saw my staples slowly taking cover.... I'm not a fan of all these new nerves/muscles yelling at me. I've been icing non stop since I've been home and it's not doing much. I hope tomorrow will be better

I do run the hot water over my knee when I shower, but my PT still say 'no' to heat. Boo. Not a fan of being cold...
 
Usually it is heat before PT to warm up the muscles and always ice after. Posit that to your PT. :)

And it's not your fault, they are the experts and should be on top of this, seriously!!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom