TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your reassurance @doglover3. You seem to be doing so well and have kept your sense of humour.

Yesterday was a bad day. Knee felt like it was in a vice and was so hard to the touch. Went to physio who massaged knee for 20 mins and then gave it a workout. She is very good and understanding. She does a lot of work with our troops who come back injured in Afghanistan which makes me feel humble and even more of a wimp when I groan at the exercises.

Thanks for the doggie kisses. Bentley has been with a minder all week and is coming back tonight. Really miss him but I can't cope with him on my own yet. Really miss his company. He is 1 year old next week.

I don't know if anyone has the same experience but I can only sit in a chair for 10 mins and then my knee screams at me to move....... It wants to get back to being elevated. I've got one of those beds that I can elevate and that is so comfortable. The only chair I can get comfortable in is in the office but it is on wheels and I can see myself with an injury .........

The days seem very long without a purpose. Someone suggested a jigsaw puzzle but I would be chucking it out of the window in frustration in no time. I can't concentrate on reading either doh!!! So it's daytime tv.

I must count my blessings and stop moaning. I sleep well. I have wonderful twin sister, good friends and neighbours and a husband who is staying patient with me, despite me snivelling as soon as he gets home from work. And Bentley .......BUT

I WANNA GET BACK TO NORMAL AAARRGGHHH
 
I'm a twin too!!!! My twin sister sucks though and picked a fight with me. Days after I got out of the hospital and I haven't heard from her since. Lovely.

I was always so frustrated by not being able to get comfortable in a chair. That's only started getting better in the last week or so. I cried SO many times out of sheer frustration for not being able find any comfortable position. You are lucky to have an adjustable bed. I'm uber jealous!

That tight vice like feeling is the worst as nothing seems to help. That will get better with time too.

Yey for Bentley coming back home to mommy!! You must miss him terribly. I missed my pups when they were away for a whole month. They still thwack me on the knee and try to trip me, but they also give lovely doggie kisses and one of them checks up on me whenever I move the slightest bit or leave a room. Very sweet.

that's great that you're able to sleep well! I totally understand the frustration on feeling like we don't have much of a purpose by laying around all day and it gets hugely boring, but we should probably take advantage of it while we can 'cause soon enough we'll be back to running around like crazy and wish we could just take a day off ;)

Heck, if I can make it through this process with all my whining and crying and pity parties, anyone can!! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi DogLoverX3 - sorry to hear about your twin not speaking to you. My sister who I have always been close to has not visited me either. She only lives 20 minutes away. When she had surgery last year I took her to the hospital, stayed there with her, brought her home and also stayed there for a few days. She has sent me books and goodies but not even a five minute visit. It hurts me a lot though I know her personality is much different than mine. She is terrified of illness to the point of ignoring anything she finds distressing. I am now almost back to feeling normal so should be seeing her soon. I didn't mean to go on a rant here.

Glad you went out and had a great time. This week has been a good week for me too. My pain and stiffness has decreased greatly. I woke up this morning and almost forgot about the surgery.

Keep up the great work. Balancing things during recovery is important. Three hours with friends is awesome!
 
Hi Ellen ... Gosh you give such good support, advice and encouragement to others. It is a great tribute to yoru character. It is a great trait that you have. I am so glad you feel you might have turned a little corner. Those sorts of feelings should be bottled I feel, so we can take a big swig when we have those "down" moments.

You have a great sense of humour, even when you are experiencing pain and/or a hurdle. It is great to read your posts.

Have a great weekend and keep on feeling good ...
Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
Yeah Ellen! My knee does not like sitting on a seat for a long time either and tells me so :groan: I'm forever moving legs all over the place. :dancy:
 
Thanks @Chihuahuan @RestAssured @Jozilla . My knee isn't too happy about my outing last night but it was well worth it. I didn't realize at the time (of course) as I just kept the ice on my knee the whole time so it was pretty much frozen by the time I looked at my watch and realized how long I had been out ;-)

Thank you for the kind words Ellen & Jozilla, my sister actually told me that I was selfish and self loathing! what? I may be a lot of things, but those are 2 adjectives that don't really apply to me. Pretty sure she was projecting and anyway, really? 2 days after I get out of the hospital from the world's most painful surgery? Geesh.

I'm glad your stiffness is feeling better @Jozilla ! I can't wait for the day that I wake up and forget about the surgery. I'm sorry about your sister, but glad that you'll be able to see her soon. At least she's sent you little trinkets and you know she's been thinking of you. I'm sure she's missed you.

I've got a relaxing (aka:boring) day ahead. Waiting for the internet guy to come check out my connections (heeheee, that sounded kinda dirty, huh) and then I have PT later this afternoon. My friend invited me to go out again tonight, but I think 2 nights in a row would be too much and the place she's going is really busy, so I'm spending a rockin' Friday night with my favorite boys. :puppysmooze::puppysmooze::puppysmooze:

I hope you all are having a great day!
 
Darn stairs. They get me every time. :gaah: I worked on doing my step ups today at PT without using the hand rails and it was apparently too much for my whimpy quads and knee. Darn it. My ROM is getting better in both directions, but I'm just still pretty weak and unsteady. :sorry:
 
Waiting for the internet guy to come check out my connections (heeheee, that sounded kinda dirty, huh)

I'm sure that's not as bad as waiting for the plumber to flush your pipes :rotfl: Pardon my humour, I couldn't resist.

Sorry the steps have caused discomfort. Darn things. I still haven't done any more since my last attempt at work landed me at home for 2 days with not enough bend to drive.

:yes!: for the ROM and extension improvements though.

As for being weak and unsteady, you are only about 7 weeks out now aren't you? I don't think it's a bad thing to still be a bit unsteady on your feet.

I am so glad you had a great night out. I am going to the movies again tomorrow with some friends and am really looking forward to it.

Have a great weekend Ellen. I hope your boys helped you have a great Friday night. :puppysmooze::puppysmooze::puppysmooze::puppysmooze:
 
Been reading all your posts.......sad to hear about your various sisters who are not supportive. I could not have done this without the support of hoppy nanny and her husband. However We do have another sister who we haven't seen for years!

So sorry to hear that your knee is punishing you dogloverx3 for going out bit pleased to hear about your date with connections! Does sound more interesting than it probably is..........

I am still using I crutch to go up and down stairs. Reading all the posts on this site it seems that different things affect each person's knees differently. Mind just won't bend. I have booked to go to hydrotherapy starting next Saturday in the hope that I can Benz de knees better.

@Netball knees I am sooooo jealous that you are going to the movies. I can't envisage being able to do that. Hope it is a good movie. Eat some popcorn for me!

@Jozilla so pleased to hear you've had a good week and almost forgotten about surgery. How far from surgery r u? Hope you continue in that way. It is really encouraging to read that.

I was awake in the night and really fancied a glass of wine. Ive not had alcohol since surgery so I might treat myself tonight to a glass or two.

@ chihuahuan I can only sit anywhere for 10 mins which makes relaxing soooo difficult. Who knew that sitting could become a problem?..

Hope you all have a lovely weekend. Thinking of @Cutter's Mom and @dogwheels and hoping you are both going home soon.
 
Morning Bentleys Slave - love your name by the way - I am eight weeks on Monday! I have to say just this past week has been a milestone. Like someone flipped a switch I have so much more energy - I am still anemic but working on it - and so much less pain. I honestly did not think I would feel this good for awhile. I sort of reached a plateau and did not see much improvement for several weeks. At least seemed that way to me. Then I woke up one day and just felt so much better. Mentally and physically. This recovery does take patience but you will get there! My bad knee is now the unoperated one which I will need to have replaced this year. I am just trying to get some strength back and some normalcy before recovering again. I do not know how these bilaterals do it and I give them so much credit.

You sound like you have a wonderful sister and I often read her posts. Hoppy nanny is so supportive of other hippies and has very kind and helpful advice for other hippies. I really am hurt that my sister never visited. The gifts mean little to me. I would rather have had a half hour visit. We were and are very close at times so this is a little baffling to me. She tends to ignore sickness and recovery and has her entire life. Like it does not exist.

Anyway hang in there. You will get there sooner than you think. Hope you have a peaceful weekend

JoAnne
 
@DogLoverx3, don't despair about not being able to do step ups without holding onto the rails...I can't, either, and I'm at the point that I can get out of a chair without pushing off. My husband told me going up and down stairs normally was the last piece of the puzzle for him, and it took months for him to accomplish.

@Bentley's Slave, you are just one month from your surgery...I found the one month mark to be both amazing and frustrating at the same time. At that point, positive things started happening in a big way, but that was also the point where my knee suddenly swelled up and I lost ROM. I had a couple of things that involved sitting in regular chairs, and cancelled them both, which put me in a funk, because I knew I would be in pain. My husband took me out for a burger at a restaurant close by, and just sitting in an upholstered booth for half an hour was uncomfortable...I had to get up and walk around, which kind of alarmed the wait staff. However, you will heal! Be patient for 2 more weeks, and suddenly you will know you can go to a restaurant or theater and sit relatively comfortably...that's when you know you can slowly start to return to your normal life...keep the faith!
 
@Ziggysmom --Glad I'm not the only one who has to walk around in restaurants -- I just need to stretch and get comfortable again. I'm hoping that once I have better extension it will be easier to be comfortable.
I'm working on stability and balance in PT --gosh it's hard work -- when they asked me to do 4 sets of 10 I laughed and said we'll see. I managed about 4 sets of 1 before the knee fatigue set in.:ok:
 
@Chihuahuan...yes the balance thing...I'm supposed to be able to stand on one leg for 30 seconds...I'm up to 15 seconds on the good leg, and I can actually do 20 seconds of the surgical leg, but those are still flunking grades! Then there is walking the line, which is actually a seam in the carpeting, with one foot directly in front of the other. After a couple of tries at that, I hoped out loud I never got stopped at one of those checkpoints on a Saturday night! I'd rather do those awful exercises on the steps...despite the discomfort at least I appear to be sober while doing them!!
 
All your posts are SO HELPFUL and give me encouragement. Guess there is a long way to go so I will try and stop moaning.

I'm frightened to say this but IVE HAD A GOOD DAY. NOT SO MUCH PAIN AND LESS SWELLING. Can even bend my knee a little. WOOP WOOP. Even if it is not so good tomorrow, this is the first dAy that I have felt even a little like my old self.

Y I P P E E. No Kleenex needed today (for the first time!).

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences
 
:happydance:YEY @Bentley's Slave for a good day!!!!! You're right around 4 weeks, so you're almost over the hump!! I was always afraid to admit to a 'good' or 'decent' day as I feared I would jinx myself. Sometimes I did, but you just have to hang onto the good days and know that there are more to come. Not as soon as we would like, but they're coming. Anyone who's read my thread knows what a horrible 1st 5 weeks I had. So much pain and frustration and that lovely overwhelming feeling of helplessness (not to mention the cryine). I'm almost 7 weeks now and can honestly say that things are getting better. Still not great, but certainly leaps and bounds ahead of where I was. It's so hard not to get bogged down in everything involved in recovery. I think you should reward yourself with that glass of wine! I'd keep it to one since you're still on pain meds and I would absolutely stay home just in case you have some odd reaction (or sudden urge to run naked thru the streets) ;-). :cheers2: This site is amazing for providing support and helping to alleviate the feeling that you're alone in all of this. Keep up the great work & if you need to moan or vent, that's what we're here for too! I've certainly done my fair share. As for my family and their lack of support, well, yeah, not ideal and hugely disappointing. Some people just don't have that empathy gene in them. Then again, I've been hugely surprised by a couple of people that have stepped up that I never imagined would. xoxoxo

@Chihuahuan & @Ziggysmom , darn, you 2 are leaps and bounds ahead of me in your abilities! I wish I could get up out of a chair without having to push off or could have better balance than that of a toddler. I'll get there, I'm just seemingly in the remedial course. ;-) I'm so impressed with all that you've both been able to do so far!

@Jozilla , I'm so excited that you've reached a milestone!!! :dancy: That's wonderful and I'm sure makes everything seem all that much better!

@NetballKnees :heehee: you're bad. Maybe we could take our dirty repairmen act on the road when our knees get better. ;-) I now you've got a big decision on your hands regarding your other knee, but I know that armed with your awesome sense of humor, outlook and knowledge of all things Bonesmart, that you'll do great!!!

I've had a pretty good day so far! :spin:My knee is still acting up from PT yesterday, but it's getting better. I'm just sticking around the house, but have an ice pack strapped to my knee and am keeping up on my pain meds. I decided to stop trying to fiddle with them and just admit that I need more some days than others and not obsess about being on them too long. It's a nice sunny day here (sorry all of you that are freezing), so I am about to head out back with the dogs. I've been walking around a lot today and even took a load of clothes upstairs! :wink: Keeping my fingers crossed that I'm not doing too much and I'll have an uneventful night.

Good for everyone for getting out and about! My one night out has been it so far. Still haven't gone out for a meal or to the movies or anything that wasn't absolutely necessary. You're all very courageous and doing a great job! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day (or night)! :thumb:
 
@DogLoverx3 Don't forget you are 6 days behind me and that makes a huge difference! This last week I have probably done too much as my sore knees are telling me but it felt really good to be able to get out and about on my own :yay: Yesterday the PT massaged and manipulated my knee to improve extension and told me I would not like him afterwards -he was right as usual. Today I headed for coffee with a friend and then shopped at Big Lots and Walmart without an electric cart :dancy:. Now I'm iced and elevated and drinking a lovely India Pale Ale :cheers: . May regret it tomorrow but I now have nothing else to do but rest and watch TV :yes!:. Jen
 
:dancy::dancy::dancy: Way to go Jen (@Chihuahuan )! Sounds like you've have a great day so you deserve that Pale Ale! I can't believe you shopped at those big stores without an electric cart! You must feel very accomplished! Even if your knee lets you know it was a bit much, you were still able to do it!!! I'm not there yet, but I know that I will and you're right, 6 days does make a big difference. I totally feel for you on the after-effects of working on your extension. Those are some uncomfortable exercises! I hope you're icing the back of your knee as I found that always helped when I overworked my extension. I hope you have a great night relaxing and watching tv!!!
 
:dancy::dancy::dancy: Way to go Jen (@Chihuahuan )! Sounds like you've have a great day so you deserve that Pale Ale! I can't believe you shopped at those big stores without an electric cart! You must feel very accomplished! Even if your knee lets you know it was a bit much, you were still able to do it!!! I'm not there yet, but I know that I will and you're right, 6 days does make a big difference. I totally feel for you on the after-effects of working on your extension. Those are some uncomfortable exercises! I hope you're icing the back of your knee as I found that always helped when I overworked my extension. I hope you have a great night relaxing and watching tv!!!
Pale ale and shopping. Sounds like a bit normal.ooh something to look forward to.....

Good advice about icing behind the knee going to do that NOW.

my Physio did deep massage on Thursday Ouch Ouch and it hurt like hell on Friday but felt it improved my knee today.
 
Glad you're getting over the pain of your massage @Bentley's Slave . At least it seems to have done some good. That would suck had you gone through all that discomfort for nothing! ;-)

Well, my ability to sleep for any length of time has flown the coop. Last week I was able to sleep for 4 hours, wake for a pain pill and then fall right back to sleep. Not so anymore. I can only sleep for a couple hours at a shot and then I'm awake for hours in between before being able to fall back asleep. Boo. I hope it's just another little hiccup 'cause, as we all know, a tired Ellen is a CRANKY Ellen :).

Hope everyone had a good night!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom