TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @RestAssured , I know, I know, I try to make up for my overdoing in some areas by slacking in others. ;-) Pretty sure Josephine has given up on me. ;-) Although I know I do more than I should (some of it is absolutely unavoidable though), I do take care to make my overdoing at least as 'kind' as I can (I park in handicapped, I use electric carts, I spend A LOT of time in bed icing and elevating....). Doesn't 1 trip around the block swap evenly for cooking & going to the drug store? :whistle:
 
Just took my 1st Tramadol. I am sitting in the backyard with a chair in the sun, watching my crazy pups run and wrestle and waiting to see if the Tramadol 'cures' me. :beg:I've never taken Tramadol before but did get it when I was in the hospital and think I remember it doing some good (I remember very little from the hospital aside from me daring my friend to re-enact the Shirley MacLain scene from Terms of Endearment demanding pain meds for me when a dippy nurse 'forgot')

It's 10:30am and so far today I've taken 1 5mg Oxy at 2:30am, 1 5mg Oxy at 6:30am, 1 Dicoflenac at 8am & 1 50mg Tramadol at 10:30. I'd idealy like to keep my Oxy count under 5 per day and hopefully down to 4, but I guess that will be via trial and error. Yuck.

Sorry for all of you enduring cold and crappy weather. I'll send you some Arizona sun (and also give you a pass to make fun of me as I'm melting when it's 118 in August here) ;-)
 
I know nothing about tramadol, but I hope it works for you!

Other than that, here, where it is 18 degrees, I am feeling INSANELY jealous of you right now!!!
 
I keep looking at Josephine's timeline of activity progression, but as I've already screwed that up so much, I have no clue what I should be doing. I walk around the house and back and forth when I'm cooking so much, that I think that probably makes up for my not walking around the block?
I'd go back to week 4 and start again.

Also quit the diclofenac. It's more of a hazard than a help and isn't a very good pain killer anyway. You should read this NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers

The chart you mentioned is this one

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
Pretty sure Josephine has given up on me.
I have? Goodness me, and there was me sitting at work this afternoon thinking I must get on BoneSmart and answer Doglover's query! But nope - in comes another patient demanding my attention! How work does get in the way of the internet! :heehee: :wink:
 
:heehee: I hope you know that my 'given up on me' statement was a total joke as I have not been able to abide by the bonesmart way. :-( I know Jamie would give me wonderful advice and then I put my own spin on it at the beginning only to learn that, hey, these people know their stuff! :) Had nothing to do with my earlier post asking a question. I appreciate all the time you take to answer everyone's questions @Josephine !

So really; drop the Dicoflenac and go back to Tylenol instead (I did read the link)? When I started taking my Naproxen again a couple of weeks ago, I felt that it actually helped a bit with my 'internal' swelling. May have all been in my head though. My OS said Diclofenac was better than Naproxen and had better trials and long term effects, but I didn't ask him compared to Tylenol.

That's the chart I was thinking of! Thank you!
 
I hope you know that my 'given up on me' statement was a total joke
Of course I knew - mine was a joke too!
So really; drop the Dicoflenac? When I started taking my Naproxen again a couple of weeks ago, I felt that it actually helped a bit with my 'internal' swelling. My OS said Diclofenac was better than Naproxen and had better trials and long term effects
Well, if you feel they are doing you good then okay but don't expect them to work like a pain killer because, contrary to all the advertising, they're not. And my words were a suggestion - I don't prescribe. But he's absolutely right in that diclofenac has better 'long term effects' - and then some. I would never take any NSAID more than once a week at most, particularly diclofenac. But that's just my opinion!
 
:friends:
One of my biggest mistakes was not being gentle with myself. I have sailed through my life with only very minor medical 'bumps', until now. I expected to somehow be one of 'those' people we all hear about.... up and about as if something minor had happened. One of my oldest and dearest friends has had bilateral TKA's and has told me over and over to listen to my body and take it s l o w!!
Our bodies are amazing and when you really stop and think about what was done to you and what you are expecting....it's pretty cool.
You are really 'early' in your recovery (something I hated being told....but needed to hear), be gentle with yourself and enjoy the time with your doggies.
 
Thanks @Frosty ! This surgery was my 1st ever hospital stay and that paired with my delusions of grandure (sp?) Mistakenly made me think I'd have an easy go of it too. Not so. I'm trying to learn to take it easy, but being stubborn is a tough habit to break! ;)

@Josephine , I trust your advice! I've been on 500mg NSAIDs twice a day for years and just assumed they worked for pain as well as swelling. I'll try the once a week thing (see how I compromise?) :heehee: And keep giving Tylenol a shot. It's okay to take them together on the same day, right? Thanks, as always, for all you do on here for everyone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The post surgical situation seems different that the arthritis situation in my experience. For my RA i found NSAIDs more helpful for stiffness, but post tkr the pain meds/tylenol seemed to work for the pain/tightness/stiffness. Go figure.
 
Thanks @kneeper ! It's so great to hear everyone's input as it provides points of view that I didn't think of. Who knew a medication would work differently pre and post surgery, but it makes total sense!

PT certainly put me through my paces today. Nothing extreme and nothing that hurt, just lots of new things and it's time I start to work on building my strength up (heaven forbid I sit in a chair without arms to help leverage myself up with). They all made fun of me again for the saran wrap and I've resigned myself to being the class clown. Heck, if I can provide a laugh to everyone in PT because I package my knee like a leftover, then so be it. :)

Although the left side of my knee is very sore tonight (it was the right side yesterday) in the front and back, it seems that my bend is a little better as well. Not to jinx anything, but is it possible that I've turned a corner? :happydance:These itty bitty victories certainly help to counterbalance the setbacks and sheer aggravation of this whole lengthy process for me.

I do want to thank everyone on here for always providing support, advice and knowledge. I've said it before, but I have no clue what I would have done had I not found this site! :bow:
 
I took NSAIDs for years and ended up with stomach ulcers so I would recommend only taking them for a short period.

I have been only taking 2 x 500mg of paracetamol 4 times during the day. Not as good as co-codamol bit better for my stomach.

I am feeling that I have not made much progress and am really frustrated at not being able to do much. It is 4 weeks today since TKR and all I do each day is get up washed and dressed, make bed and clean bedroom , bathroom, make brekkie and lunch. Walk 10 mins every hour, do some PT, then make dinner.
Is that enough? I feel so lazy but my knee still swells after each bout of doing something.

It seems like a long four weeks. Still weepy.
 
Awww @Bentley's Slave , I know it's hard but try not to get too down. Week 4 was a horrible one for me. I cried at least twice a day and was just frustrated with this whole. slow process. I've actually read where the 4th week was one of the hardest for many people on here. No clue why that would be. I know it's hard to notice all the tiny improvements that you're making, but think back 2 weeks ago and how much easier it is now to get in and out of bed, the shower, etc..... It actually kinda sounds like you're doing a bit too much for just being 4 weeks post op. I haven't cleaned a darn thing since my surgery and that, paired with showering, dressing, making meals and everything else you're doing is a lot for your brand new knee. I know it's boring and gets very old, but try doing pretty much nothing for a couple of days aside from icing and elevating and see if that makes any difference to the swelling in your knee. I bet it will. I promise you that it gets better. You know how hard I think this process is and how much I want to get to the point where I'm actually glad I did this to myself, but I'm not there yet. I'm getting closer every day, but it just takes time. I'm just 2 weeks ahead of you and between you and me, I think I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. For some reason my soreness and stiffness seem a little bit less. If you can just hold out another 2 weeks, I bet you'll post something similar! Be good to yourself. Allow yourself to wallow if you want. Know that this is all a means to an end and eventually we can all get back to our 'normal' lives, whatever that may be. I soooooo hope that you feel better very soon. Sending doggie kisses from Dickens, Bean & TJ over the pond to you! :puppysmooze: xoxo
 
so for the 1st time last night, I was able to straighten out my surgical leg on the bed without it being exceptionally uncomfortable. Very strange. I was missing 5 degrees on extension prior to surgery and have not been able to do any better than missing that same 5 since my surgery. I attributed it to swelling as it always felt like a ton of pressure at the top of my knee when I would try to put my leg straight. It seemed my extension was better than usual at PT yesterday but being able to lay flat confirmed it for me. I know NSAIDs aren't supposed to be all that helpful post surgery and that they can do more harm than good, but I can't figure out another reason why yesterday would have been better. That would be a big coincidence with it being the 1st day I had taken Diclofenac. Either that or I'm just very impressionable and it's just the placebo effect. ;-) My 'outer' swelling is still there, but I feel that the internal swelling may be a bit less. Anyway, my tightness feels a bit better today and I'll take any improvement, regardless of how small, as a victory! :egypdance:
 
Hi Ellen: I have been taking Celebrex since the surgery and I feel it really helps me. Glad you had a good day :)
 
It could be the nsaid and the "magic" of time, @DogLoverx3. Either way, :yay: Our bodies are mysterious things sometimes.
 
that they are @kneeper ! thanks @Chihuahuan ! I went out tonight! And last 3 whole hours! Now I wait to see if my knee has something to say about that. ;-) I took my crutches as I'm still afraid to go out without a 'backup plan' should my knee act up and (embarassingly enough) a ziplock baggie in my purse. We went to the bar early and parked ourselves at the bar where I proceeded to ask the bartender for a water (no drinking while on pain meds) and to please fill my baggie with ice so I could put it on my knee. :-) This was my 1st outing since surgery and I had a good time. The crutches were quite the conversation starter too.....
 
@doglover3 how wonderful to have an evening out !!! So pleased for you to get to some semblance of normality - LOL regarding the ice pack. Bet the batman thought you were really cool. It gives me a bit of encouragement to see your progress. Take care
 
That would have been awesome had Batman filled up my bag of ice @Bentley's Slave :cheers:. It was nice to be out and somewhat back to normal (ish). I'm glad it gives you encouragement. This is a TOUGH process, but if I can manage to make it to 6 weeks and finally take a real outing, than anyone can! :tada: Just hang in there for a couple more weeks and I promise things will start to turn around and however faint, you will start to see that light at the end of the tunnel.

while my knee is certainly not happy about being hung from a barstool for 3 hours, it was worth it to go out and have some fun and talk to people. I was afraid I had forgotten how to wear anything but sweats with my hair in a ponytail. :whistle:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom