TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some form of massage around the knee area after about three months after my first TKR and I know it definitely helped, and this time the PT has given me deep tissue massage to help with the IT band issues I'm having with this second TKR, and again, it feels much better afterwards.
Have a wonderful trip, remember the warm underwear and have lots of fun (maybe those last two phrases don't go together...)
Happy New Year, xxxxx
 
@Doglover. Glad things are improving for you. I had my knee massaged every PT session and couldn't wait to get more. It felt so good
Enjoy your trip. And wishing you a happy healthy new year. Love susanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DogLoverx3 ,

It depends on each individual about whether they need massage, gentle PT, getting involved in daily life and so on.

I had lymphatic drainage massage, but it NEVER hurt! It was great and it got my circulation going in my knee again. Everyone is different though. Lymph massage isn't necessary for everyone; but helpful for some.

I was in a core class tonight where you tuck your knees to your chest, and then "bicycle" in the air without touching the ground. My right knee caught on something, so I stopped. Afterwards, I went to the stair climber and stretched it out.

So, there are different ways of dealing with what we perceive to be adhesions. I think my right knee still has one adhesion, hence the catch when I pull it in and extend it. But, after I stretch it out, I am ready for anything again.

Being tortured by a PT doesn't sound like the most fun time in the world. Have you thought about trying yoga? It builds strength, flexibility, and coordination, and it is relaxing.
 
Thanks @Ellejay and @Phil for sharing your positive experiences regarding massage. I was beginning to think that I was 'wrong' for posting about it being beneficial for me.

Thanks for weighing in @RestAssured . I absolutely agree that everyone is different and there are different roads taken to the same destination. I guess I am not explaining myself properly, as I assumed that everyone would be excited/supportive that I am finally getting relief from some issues that have plagued me for over a year instead of being corrected and contradicted by @Josephine and now a bit by you. Yes, parts of the massage hurt, but that's on the areas that I'm having issues with. She also massages my hamstrings, IT band, and checks the tracking/movement of my Patella. She's very conscientious and I consider myself lucky to have found her. Scar tissue/adhessions/whatever they're called are being worked on and helping me. I'm a year out. Of course I wouldn't let a PT, or anyone, actually torture me. If the benefits outweigh the discomfort, then so be it. If they didn't, I wouldn't be doing it. I am sure that you and Josephine are just looking out for my best interest or trying to clarify for someone else that may be reading and my apologies if I'm being overly sensitive or misunderstanding the tone in which you meant. I wish that the wisdom being shared would be mixed with just a hint of being happy that I'm being helped though.

I'm not sure how much of my story you're familiar with as we haven't corresponded much in the past year that I've been on here and seeking help, but I've had challenges all along. Some self inflicted and some not. I've done a ton of research, sought multiple '2nd opinions' and have found no relief to date. The fact that I have finally been able to find something/someone that is helping me after such a painful year was exciting. I don't expect anyone reading post number two thousand and whatever who hasn't been following me since the beginning (or at least for a while) to understand it all, but there are still those on here that do remember all that I've experienced. I'm not a medical professional. I don't always use the proper terms or titles. I'm just some 47 year old woman struggling to achieve a positive outcome after a year of struggle and attempting to document my progress and fill in the 'virtual friends' that have supported me along the way. These posts are my opinions and experiences. They're not fact and I never meant for them to be 'preachy'.

Thanks for suggesting yoga, but that's not really my thing. I know how beneficial it is for so many things and that's great that you like it and it's helping, but it just doesn't work for me and I actually don't find it relaxing. It sort of stresses me out. Go figure. My main issues aren't with strength; it's just one of the things that I'm working on as long as I'm at PT again anyways.

It's been a very long while since I've felt optimistic about my knee. I've tried so many things over the past year; more exercise, less exercise, no exercise, pain management, heat, cold, topical potions, trying to just ignore it and all else. I was excited about posting about something that finally seemed to be helping. Not so much anymore.....

Happy healthy new year to everyone.
 
Good for you, DogLover, we should all be elated that you have found something that is helping your recovery. I am seven weeks out from my second TKR and the therapist caused some pain in my recovery from the first and he is causing some pain in my recovery from the second. But there are other issues with my body that no one else could ever understand no matter how much time I spend explaining them. Nobody knows your body like you do and if a little pain means a little gain (or a big gain) so be it. You've been around long enough to know the mantras forward and backward, what you do with them is up to you. I hadn't been on this site for six months or so because of the "our way or the highway" mentality of some of the posters. After I got back on the site a month or so ago I was very sad to read that you were still having problems. But after reading yesterday's post and seeing that you found something that was helping, painful or not, I'm pulling for you.
 
@Doglover speaking of yoga. I used to go to classes 3x a week, I actually loved it and enjoyed the feeling . But now with all these body parts replaced down dog and warrior pose is out. I also couldn't handle the last part of class---the wind down relaxing part, firstly I hated being in such a vulnerable position, 2nd when the calming music came on and the instructor started talking about picturing clouds, ocean, trees to relax mind and body, my thoughts running thru my head went something like this: did I.put laundry away?, where's that black top in drawers,
And when it came to visualizing colors my mind went to the preschool song the world is a rainbow (a classic for preschoolers) but I did have fun and unfortunately laughed a lot with my friend.... Just wanted to share my experience. I did this for 2 years!!
Susanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ellen, I'm so very happy for you that you have finally found something/someone that helps you. A year is a very long time to be in pain and have the feeling that something isn't right but feeling like no one is listening. My cousin who had a TKR years before me also had old scar tissue or adhesions or whatever and had hers broken up via massage also but she was more like 3 years post op! So, it is possible and she's doing great now. Please keep posting for others of us who come along. You never know who you might help without even realizing. (((hugs)))
 
Hi Ellen, I am so glad you're finally getting some relief after your very challenging year. Complete recovery takes such a long, long time. Gentle massage around my knee seems to help me. I hope no one takes that statement as medical advice- it is a purely anecdotal observation about my knee and massage. I'm weird in that I don't generally like massages or strangers touching me, however I gradually learned to trust my PT and her techniques. I still don't like it when she presses on my supposed IT band because that actually hurts. Invariably I say, "Enough!".

Please continue to keep us posted and best wishes on your continued recovery. Reading about others' progress, ups and downs, what worked for them, what didn't, and eventual great outcome is most inspiring to someone like me who is still early in recovery.

Happy New Year!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - don't really care what you have in there, or what that PT is doing - if you think it is helping then that's all that matters. You really deserve to be listened to and your long recovery assisted. I so hope this is the start of things improving knee-wise.
My knee was massaged weekly from about 6 weeks and my OS was unhappy it hadn't started earlier. I know some on here say self massage is not necessary, but that was what I was shown and told to do, so I did it. If I was an FRCS I might have put forward my own opinion, but obviously I am not, so I trusted my surgeon and did just what he recommended - as the majority of us do. Over the course of my chequered recovery I have had nearly every bit of the leg and knee massaged in some form or fashion. Some massage was lovely, some not so nice, but it all felt so good afterwards. I was reminded that in some Asian cultures massage and medicine go hand in hand, each playing their own role in recovery.
I have immense regard for good PT's and always listen to what they have to say. When I first had the accident that caused all my knee trouble - the OS kept examining and saying more physio, but the PT told me that in her opinion something didn't feel right and was blocking the joint. When the OS finally received my absent Xrays it was all very obvious - and the PT was absolutely right. I was so impressed and my regard for PT's increased dramatically. Hope yours continues to help with Richard and improves your situation.

Anyway enough about knees - hope you have a brilliant break, stay upright in in the snow, and don't set off too many airport alarms.
Hope you have the happiest of New Years

XXXXXX
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Doglover....I'm happy to hear that you have found someone you connect with who is doing things that help you. As long as you're seeing improvements, that's the most important thing. Here's hoping it continues. Lots of therapists here in the USA do some type of massage in conjunction with their treatments. Some of the more aggressive massage techniques would not be for everyone and I would never go so far as to say massage is required therapy for every patient. But it is true that some form of massage has been beneficial for a number of members here. Maybe you're going to be another person on that list!
 
@DogLoverx3

My PT performs massage around the patella and IT band as well and I've found that it helps. I've always been a proponent of massage for tight hamstrings and quads, so maybe I'm a little biased. That said, if it is working for you and helping you, keep on doing it! Everyone has their own journey. I'm pulling for you...you've suffered enough it seems.
 
@Doglover3,

Since you are getting relief, then your PT is obviously on the right path. I wish you well on your journey, and will be on your bandwagon for whatever helps!

I realize that yoga isn't for everyone, just as massaging isn't for everyone. But, for you, it seems to be something that will get you on the road towards feeling good again.

I think everyone goals are to get rid of the pain and start living their lives!:happydance: How we do it may vary, but we all work together.

Best Wishes to you and hang in there!:console2:
 
Thanks for correcting my terminology Josephine. She doesn't work on my actual scar. She works on either side of it and the sides of my knee where a lot of my pain is. As the surgeon mucks around all of the knee and not just the incision site, I was under the impression that scar tissue could form wherever anything was upset/moved/fiddled with. My bad.
Not 'bad' at all. But you've slightly misunderstood what I was saying. "the scar" isn't just that neat line you see on your skin. It extends deep into your knee, all around and everywhere as you described. This is all incision and needs scarring to close it. So in that respect, you DO have 'scar tissue' in and all around your knee but it's not necessarily bad stuff.

Adhesions are a little different and form in places where muscles should be able to glide over one another. When they're stuck down so the 'glideability' is compromised or even lost, then there a problems. However, much as it seems to be contradictory, this phenomenon is not that common.

Here is a picture of where adhesions may occur within the muscles

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
@Josephine Are adhesions always painful or ROM limiting? In other words, can one have adhesions that only present themselves as tightness or stiffness (I know - they are types of pain,too) without inhibiting ROM?
 
Hi @DogLoverx3

I recall all your journey and it's been a really difficult one. Just because I'm not posting so much doesn't mean I don't care what is happening to you in your recovery process. I do care.

However journeys like yours and mine up until I had revision, are necessary to be documented, so that others can understand/be aware that recovery is not always straightforward. You have coped against all the odds with your knee, managed to keep working and quite frankly, I'm in awe of how you've done it!

Before my revision I had great relief via massage from Freddy the physio who did a sterling job. My knee felt good from having massage. There were times it could be a bit sore to say the least but I trusted in what he did. He also did acupuncture which I'd never rated until I tried it and wow that helped with those sharp areas of pain.
I completely agree with you that if massage brings you relief and works, keep going!

Ellen I am so pleased that you have found somebody and something that is working for you. Well done. Have a lovely holiday and a great new year.

Love Nana moon 27
 
Josephine Are adhesions always painful or ROM limiting? In other words, can one have adhesions that only present themselves as tightness or stiffness (I know - they are types of pain,too) without inhibiting ROM?
Like everything, it's a question of degree. There is bound to be some stickiness between muscle bodies or ligaments that have been interfered with during surgery. Another factor I don't mention much is tissues drying out during surgery too. A diligent surgeon will ensure these tissues are kept moist by frequently dousing the wound with saline. But even in a leg that's had exposure and drying, the body should be able to compensate by sending extra tissue fluid to the area. Whether this contributes to swelling or not, I wouldn't care to say, but in most people the body is more than equal to the demands of dry tissues.

So to return to the question of degree, some places might 'stick' and eventually free themselves, some might stick and stay stuck but minimally while the ones that give problems are stuck down more.

It should also be noted that hot tissues tend to encourage this development which is a very good reason for not being too over-enthusiastic or aggressive with exercise. It saddens me when I read how some PT put so much emphasis on this and greatly exaggerate the incidence of it, like everybody has them automatically which is simply untrue. Only those whose bodies are unable to replenish the intramuscular moistness and those really are few and far between.
 
Hi All! Thanks so much for your notes of support and for weighing in on the whole massage/scar tissue/adhesion thing.

I got back late last night and have already been to PT this morning. I wanted to post a quick update regarding my airport security experience and how Richard/Dick did in the cold weather. Security really wasn't an issue. I told them that I had an artificial knee, was wearing a knee brace under my jeans and that I was unable to take my shoes off. That last part was a bit of a fib, but it would have been a huge production to get my shoes/boots off involving a chair and several grunts (from me, not hired help). They were okay with that. They had me go through the whole body scanner and then just swiped my hands, my knee brace & my boots to make sure I wasn't transporting explosives. It was a fairly painless process (aside from the lines, that is).

As for the weather. Boise reached an impressive high of 24 degrees for my entire visit. It was covered in snow and it snowed 3 more times in the 5 days that I was there. I loved it. I had bought some awesome combat boot looking things with very sturdy rubber bottoms the night before my trip and I am glad that I did. Although I walked a bit like a toddler in the snow and on the sidewalks (terrified to slip/fall ya' know), they were great. My friend that I visited has an ankle injury so we were quite the sight when walking slowly and concentrating really hard. ;-)

It was a great trip all around and I was glad to get Dick's 1st flight out of the way. It was a 2 hour flight and as I had a tight brace on, swelling wasn't a huge issue. Overall, he wasn't too horrible and didn't react like I thought he would in the cold. He seems to dislike humidity more than he does cold weather.

I hope everyone is well and that 2015 is off to a great start for all! xoxo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom