TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ellen,
I am hoping you are doing better. Would love to hear an update.

MaryJean
 
Hi MJ (@hopefaith ). Funny timing. I'm never on here anymore but actually thought of posting an update on 'the knee', then thought better of it. Since you asked so nicely though......... ;-)

Unfortunately my knee is no better. Any amount of activity causes me pain, reduced ROM and is generally just a, well, pain. To make a long story short (ha, famous last words), I had seen a new surgeon about 6 weeks ago who really seemed to listen to me. He agreed that since all of my tests and scans have come back inconclusive that it would be risky for me to jump into a revision as no one really knows what's wrong or what they'd be fixing. Duh. We talked about a diagnostic arthroscopy being done because since no tests are helping to point to the underlying cause, maybe a peek under the hood will provide some more solid answers. Oddly enough, when I went back last week for a follow up, he took having the arthroscopy off the table and told me he'd see me in 6 months. Super. I called back later and left a message wanting to know why he changed his tune and letting him know how upset I was. There was a bit of back and forth about expectations and such and in the end, I 'won'. I will be going in to have a Diagnostic Arthroscopy on Wednesday (with a mini MUA as I'm still 5 degrees from straight). Although this is what I wanted (and am still hopeful that's it's scar tissue/adhesions/whatever they're called growing horizontally across my knee as it feels like my knee cap is being held down and the scope will enable him to 'fix' me), I'm still scared. Recovery time, infection risk, something going wrong, finding out that a revision IS needed, etc....

I know recovery from a scope prior to TKR was pretty easy, but no clue what it's like after having had a TKR. The timing is a bit flashback-esque in that I had my TKR on the 16th of the month and had to cater a wedding 10 days later. This surgery will be done on the 13th and I have a wedding to cater on the 30th. I NEVER cater weddings. Kinda odd.

How are you?
 
Glad someone is going to take a look under the hood so to speak. Hope you find some answers and relief from your continuing pain and discomfort.
There are several of us facing arthroscopy including myself.
All the best, let us know how you are doing,


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Hi @Pumpkln . Thanks for your good wishes. I haven't kept up on anyone (was really just trying to block my knee out of my thoughts, but 'it' wouldn't allow that). :-( I'm sorry you're still having issues. Are you having scar tissue issues? I know that @RunA42K had scar tissue removed and is doing awesome (because we're FB friends), but I'm not sure how everyone else is doing......
 
Best wishes for your arthroscopy, Ellen. I hope that it clarifies what is wrong with your knee, and that something can be done to help.

I'll be interested to hear what your OS finds.
 
You could be writing my story! I'm also over a year out and, while I may have had some serious reduction in.pain, I never got use of my knee back, not even 50% much less 100%.

I fell at the gym and forced it to flex and OMG the cussing I did! Managed to do a pretty great job of injuring the NON tkr knee as well! Ordinarily, I would think...hmmm...cool, maybe the "manipulation", forced as it may have been, will help with.any scar tissue left but I know...after the last MUA what not to expect!

I wish you well, and hit me up if you ever want to compare notes.

CB
 
. I'm never on here anymore but actually thought of posting an update on 'the knee',

So pleased you did. Do let us know what the arthroscopy shows. I should probably go down the same path (my knee feels like its being strangled), but at present lack the courage.
 
Ellen, best of luck with your diagnostic arthroscopy. One quick question. Why did you opt for an arthroscopy rather than CT, bone or MRI scan.
 
@DogLoverx3
Hi Ellen, I am also weaning myself off of this site, I think my knees have had all the time and attention they need over the last 18 months, but it is still good to hear from 'old' friends.
All my fingers and toes are crossed for you for next week, I really hope that this time you get the right result, I shall make a special effort to check on here for your update,
Lyn xxx
 
Thanks for all the kind posts. Carol (@patient 99 ), this arthroscopy is sort of a last ditch effort for me. I've had a CT scan, multiple x rays, a 3 part bone scan and numerous blood tests. The CT scan was 'inconclusive'. The 3 part bone scan had my knee lit up like a Christmas tree but was again 'inconclusive'. The x rays show nothing. So while there is 'something' wrong with my knee, nothing and no one can tell me what that 'something' is. This latest surgeon thinks it's either loosening (shoot!), an oversized implant (duh, that's what I've been saying all along) or that the back of my kneecap wasn't shaved down enough during surgery. I'm still hopeful it's scar tissue. Scar tissue can be taken care of in a scope. If it turns out to be any of the less lovely options, at least I will be able to make an informed decision regarding going through the pain of a revision.

I've been told that 'I'm fine', to 'take more pain meds', to go to a pain specialist or to jump right into a revision by 4 other surgeons. This option seemed the like the best of the worst. ;-)

@carabeara , I'll have to check out your thread when I have a bit of time. I'm sorry that you're having so many issues. I think the main thing that makes no surgeon want to help me is that I have exceptional ROM for replacement (145+). I guess they figure if I can bend my knee so well, I should just zip it about everything else. ;-)

@Ellejay & @Celle ~ thank you. I will post an update next week after it's done. Hopefully a good one!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck to you...I'm hoping you get the results you want!
 
Hi Ellen, I just got caught up here since people on FB do not understand all these details nor do they care so I don't write about them as you have not done. Just a quick mention here or there.

I just bet it is scar tissue! Before I had my first scope for scar tissue with my original knee, I had the X-Rays of course, CT Scan, knee aspiration, and bone scan. Like you my bone scan was lit up like a Christmas tree. Everything was inconclusive. I later learn that the inflammation and pain can show up with all those Christmas tree lights. Which was all caused by scar tissue.

My Rom on the best day so far is 113 but my extension is so good and always has been that I can do quad sets and my non tkr leg and tkr leg get 7 and 3 degrees respectively. I forget if that called plus or minus but they are so super straight that my heels come way up off the surface I am sitting. So there is the high school football player in Physical Therapy with me who has good rom but lacking the extension to straighten his knee. He had a torn ACL and had s scope to repair it. After months of not being able to straighten his leg, he went back in about 2 months ago and found through arthroscopy that his knee was filled with scar tissue that built up behind his knee. It was removed and he is getting better so he didn't even need a tkr to grow aggressive scar tissue.

I'm happy for you to get some answers. You'll be surprised about your recovery...here is the exact way I describe arthroscopy..."next to having a TKR, a scope is like getting a paper cut!" I only used crutches the day of because my general anesthesia, next day...no crutches no pain pills!

You will do fine I can't wait to hear when you are done!!
 
Good luck Ellen, I hope all has gone well? X I don't get alerts for your thread any more. Or I'd've posted sooner. I'm so glad that finally you've gotten someone to listen. That 5 deg bend in your knee must be driving you crazy by now.

Take care and I look forward to your update xx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
this arthroscopy is sort of a last ditch effort for me
Ellen, I have been away or would have replied sooner. I found your detailed post most informative. I continue to be amazed that surgeons differ so in their diagnosis. They have so much technology to help them.

Waiting with bated breath to find out how things go for you.
 
Hello All. I wanted to post an update since my scar tissue removal via arthroscopy that I had on May 13th. No one (aside from PT) thought that scar tissue was an issue due to my excellent ROM, but as I wanted to explore every single option short of revision surgery, I wanted to try. And it has helped. A little.

There wasn't 'much' scar tissue to remove, but as my surgeon pointed out, since you don't routinely go into post TKR knees just to poke around, who knows what the 'normal' amount of post TKR scar tissue is? I was told by everyone that scar tissue only grows vertically. I completely disagree with that as prior to the surgery my knee cap felt like it was being held down and shoved back in my knee horizontally. I don't have that feeling any more.

I still have issues with swelling and pain and find that my knee is clicking again, but it is a little bit less and take a tiny bit more time to flare up. I do experience the horrid pinching behind my knee when I would go from bend to straight MUCH less since the surgery as well. Yey! He did confirm that my femoral component overhangs the outside of my bone by about 1/8th of an inch. He said in most people that wouldn't be an issue, but I'm just lucky I'm guess. He said that since metal is harder than bone, since the ligaments/tendons/whatever are over there keep rubbing up against the plate, that's what's keeping everything angry over there.

The entire bottom outside of my knee remains numb (as it always has) so it's a very weird sensation having so much of my pain coming from an area that is numb on the surface.

Anywhoo, I've completely recovered from the scope (total cake walk after having gone through a TKR) and have opted to keep putting off a revision. I'm not willing to risk ending up worse and am working around my issues. I went on my 1st hike a couple of weeks ago and although I went uber slow and was in pain for the entire week following, I did it. I'm trying to just move on and not give my knee so much power. :-)

I hope that everyone is well!
 
Wow sorry you have trouble. But wow hiking. I can't wait till I can. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Thanks for the update.
Glad you are feeling well enough to go on a hike. You might not have had much scar tissue, but it sounds like it was impacting the tracking of your knee cap, and and now you have less pinching behind your knee. You did the right thing in having the scar tissue removed.
Good Luck as you move forward,
 
Thank you. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a difficult hike and probably be rated more of a 'nature walk' and the 4 miles which should have taken no more than 2 hours took me 3.5, but it was the 1st time I had even tried to do something like that for more than 2 years. It will be a while before I do it again, but at least I tried. :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom