THR My Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back....eventually :)

I like the reversed clamshell Cardie, can really feel the pull in my outer hip, that's a other one added to the list, thanks.

The dying bug I can do I can do but boy can I feel it in my groin area and it's quite unpleasant. I'm still having a lot of tightness there but will keep trying that one periodically.

Can't do the pigeon due to my rubbish ROM....still not able to get left foot onto right knee but still working on it.

How are you doing? Have you been for the MRI or seen the musculoskeletal guy yet, I know you felt like a break from all the medical stuff, not surprising, I can imagine if it is from one to the other without any result you would get a bit fed up of it all.

Bye for now

Ann.xx
 
Hi Cardie,
Not only are you so helpful with advice to me at this early stage after my leg lengthening and slow recovery issues you are also an inspiration. I think I will start a year of adjustment right now....mostly to get my head into the right place while I heal....coping with the restrictions and the change of lifestyle.... Hydro pool instead of Pilates for on. Then I will move into a year of Adaption. Love it! Gives me a focus. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Re exercises and the clam...which I cant do yet. I haveva series of exercises and managing them well except for the bridge. Just cant do it. Partly because it's hard on a bed and I dont have a bench and cant lie on the floor and partly because I just can't do it. What other exercises are good for the glutes? I can do a modified bridge just on my good legz
Reading about your issues that may be related to the leg lengthening, I 'am wondering ifvI should go to a musculoskeletal specialist to get a full assessment before I embark on serious remedial PT. of course I will finish my rehab PT and have my 6 week OS checkup first.
From then younare pretty much waved goodbye...job done as farvas the OS is concerned.
How would you approach it if you were me at this stage now that you know what you know 2 years down the track? :what:
 
Anniepops I don't know if this is helpful or depressing, but it took a long time before I was comfortable in any pose that involved sticking my legs out in the air unsupported. I wouldn't say that it was painful exactly. It just felt very strange and I didn't like it. It would come up in my Pilates class and sometimes it would be okay for a while. Then it would stop being okay and I would do something else.

Cardie, sorry for the hijack. :)
 
That's helpful thanks Alex alexthecat, it's good to know it's not just me feeling it this far out. So weird, like it's not my leg!' xx
 
That is an interesting thread of discussion between you both alexthecat and Anniepops and I think it has to do with proprioception - your sense of where your body is in space and in relation to it's other parts. While I don't know exactly how our bodies work with this sensation I am guessing that much of it comes about from pressure and sensation in our various joints as well as some other bodily items. So, as you are lying on the ground with your leg out in space and unsupported WITH a fake joint it might feel a bit like an alien leg.

I have trouble with my proprioception in terms of all my geometrical mis-alignments. So, when I'm standing at the PT or the chiropractor and they are looking at my pelvis/hips or shoulders I cannot tell that they are off kilter, but I can correct them if they tell me something. This is a great challenge when I'm given an exercise and am pushed and pulled in to the proper form by the PT but then expected to do it on my own at home -- I can't line myself up the same way. I am like gumby woman!!


Take care,
Cardie
 
Wow.... that's quite a leap in logic. I can't speak for Ann but I can say that, in my own case, what I was talking about above was absolutely not related to proprioception.
 
Here is a link to a page with an insane amount of information about gluteus medius activation and strengthening.

https://www.running-physio.com/glutemed/

The site is actually intended for runners who are looking for PT ideas, but I think there's information there that you might find useful.
 
Thanks alexthecat,
Those exercises look just the trick. I was doing all of them pre op in my Pilates class. Will check with the OS at my 6 week appointment that they are all permitted.
 
Maeve I'd suggest taking it slow with some of those exercises. That article was written for people who are not THR patients and some of the exercises may not be appropriate for someone recovering from THR. Cardie is about two years post-THR, so she is able to be a little bolder about trying exercises. For her, it's more a process of trial and error to find things that she wants to do and that seem to benefit her. Anniepops is another one. I just keep throwing exercises her way to see if anything catches her interest.
 
You're very right alexthecat,
There are probably only a couple I could attempt now so will file the others for another day. :)
 
Cardie, well! I had to practise saying proprioception to get my head around the word.lol. I do feel it when I am standing still, I can feel that I am off kilter, that my left side drops somewhat and that's what I don't understand...that it feels so much more than only a titchy half a centimetre, I don't feel it as much when I am out walking but do when I am moving slowly around the house. I don't know, still perplexed by all this pelvic tilt malarky :doh:

Love the link Alex, very interesting indeed. I have got my backside back into gear and am doing my exercises...especially the clamshell variations every night and feel like it is making a difference. Also back to doing the one legged squatty thing on the bottom stair. Things are improving again which is great and the inner thigh tightness is much improved.

Take care girlies

Ann.x
 
It's all good, Maeve. I started Pilates on my own at home around six weeks post-op. I joined a beginner Pilates class at twelve weeks, but I modified a lot. At six months, I switched to a different beginner class and the instructor never had any idea that I'd had THR. At one year, I was back in the advanced class. I got huge benefits from Pilates and I'm sure you will as well. It's more helpful than physio, IMO.
 
Totally agree alexthecat,
Before the THR I was a Pilates regular...have been doing classes for 5+ years. No machines just floor work with blocks, therabands and fitballs. I think that prepared me well and also postponed the op. Can't wait to get back.
My only problem is how do I get up and down from the floor. Scary!
 
I did Pilates for about ten years before my THR. However I was away from it for a year after my hip fracture. In the nine months between my hip fracture and THR, I couldn't walk at all or even sit upright for more than about an hour. Pilates wasn't really an option for me at that time.

Getting up and down from the floor is not that difficult. I think there's a thread about it in the library, but I don't have time to look for it right now.
 
Thx alexthecat.
Will look for the link.
Funny, reading Cardie's thread ( C Mac )and others - Anniepops, re exercises it was so obvious that most are based on Pilates (or should it be that Pilates is based on them)? Never mind. All I know is that Pilates kept my muscles strong and working right up to surgery time....this was over a period of 5 years from when I first went to the OS. Of course as the joint weakened and ROM retreated the glutes, hip flexor and abductors all struggled and now with the leg lengthening they need a lot of remedial work.
As soon as I get the all clear from the OS my first project is to master getting up and down off the floor so I can go back to Pilates ASAP.
Luckily I am a member of a great gym. Beautiful location overlooking the harbour, an aquatic centre thrown in and a hyrdo pool. Just what the Dr ordered. So I can do all the exercises and stretches I now do in hydro at Rehab as well as Tai Chi, Pilates when I master the floor bit and Fitball as well as a gentle class called Heart Moves which is run by the resident Exercise Physiologist.
I have 5 Exercise sessions booked with him too that are paid for by Medicare rather than from my Private Health cover. The best thing about this gym is that Gold Membership at the Senior's rate costs me $33.50 per fortnight for unlimited use of pools, studios, classes. So lucky. It has given me a focus for recovery. Will start back in a week's time when my Rehab finishes and the 6 week OS appointment is over.
 
Thanks for the g. medius link and what do you know but that was a bit of the focus in Monday's PT. Wondered if they'd been in my thread!! Planking is pretty hard to do, but that's something to aspire to! I try it on my front sometimes (after seeing this funky graphic on someone's FB about "how you think you look when you plank" and how you really look :heehee:).

My pelvis is so unstable that when I squat on the wobble board it is apparent especially at the lowest point and when I push to get back up. I explained that my femur is shorter on the right and that I have no lesser trochanter and so my IP is attached on the plain part of my femur and therefore also shorter. I've always squatted lopsided. However, I was molded into a less intense degree of squat, barely anything in order to keep my pelvis even.

On this one:
[Bonesmart.org] My Intro...

I am only to raise up on the THR side and not lower, because of the same pelvic instability.

I am going to see about the clam variation #4 -- they have me do a side lying lift that is a bit like it only with the top leg out straight but coming down behind the bottom leg. Can't find an image --

Did I mention that I'm to do 240 reps of clams each evening. I try to go to my napping place when I do them:zzz:

You know, I don't even know what Pilates is. I hear it all the time and last year when I'd asked my eye doc for the name of the person he and his wife use for personal sessions he said I wasn't ready for that yet!! Well, I'm probably in good enough shape now I'd think!!

Maybe this is the thread about getting down onto the ground?

Take care,
Cardie
 
Just some random thoughts, since I'm on my phone...

The deeper you go in a squat, the more the GMed needs to engage, so deep squats are going to be harder for most hippies.

If you're doing 240 reps of any exercise and not getting results, maybe it's time to try something else.

From those instructions for kneeling, you sit on your heels, shift your non-THR hip to the outside until you can get that side of your butt to the ground. Then swing your legs around the THR side. This may not be knee-friendly for everyone but it worked for me.
 
Blimey Cardie...240 reps...that is a crazy amount, I think I would actually fall asleep during that workout.lol. I'm doing 3 x 15 reps of each clam...the first three in the link and that's enough for me for now. Strangely enough, the reverse clam hurts my good leg a lot below the knee but not the replacement side. Hope all those reps show results for you anyway.xx
 
Hi Cardie, My hip hurts and I don't know how to have josephine look at my thread. Can you do it for me? Thanks so much. trying not to freak out but IT HURTS. hope you are well. diane
 
i made a new thread, don't know how to find my old one. thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom