THR My Hip Trip - Second Verse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done @HollyB
Confusing to be pre op and post op at the same time - @Nana moon 27 is in that position too (but knees). Looking forward to hearing what next! x
 
In the end decision was obvious but I do understand your worries and concerns of the what ifs.........
Good luck lass and the 3 Stooges will be here for you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
The three Stooges, huh? Which one are you @Legin -- Larry, Moe, or Curly Joe? You've got me laughing out loud!!!

Hey, I have some information for you that you might find interesting and I've just been too lazy to post it to your thread. Keep your eyes opened, my friend, I'm heading to your site.
 
I couldn't find "Thread Tools" on my Thread -- could just be me! Could one of the Moderators please change the name of my Thread to: My Hip Trip: Second Verse. Thanks in advance and I'll start doing some catching up as I transition from the first surgery to the second one on June 9 ( only 9 days to go),
 
Hi @HollyB
Look after yourself in this difficult time - for me the most difficult time was the week before the op. Now 4 months later it is amazing. Yesterday I saw a reflection of myself in a shop window and was surprised that I was not limping. At the other extreme I forgot all about my hip and walked on sand dunes and really suffered today. i am really looking forward to your post op postings. xx
 
Hi there @copsham. Thank you so much for your support as I hurtle toward that surgery date. Oh my, you are right about the last week being a tough one. The thing that is helping me is all of the last minute organizing. Keeps me busy and my mind can't wander too much!

Your four month report is wonderful! Timewise I'm just a little bit behind you with my first hip and the recovery has been pretty amazing. For me, it continues to be slow and steady and I have some of those "sand dune" moments as well when I forget myself. Take care of yourself .
 
Hello Bone Smart Gang! In four short days (June 9) I will be having a LTHR to go with the RTHR that was done on January 27 of this year (19 weeks ago). If you read back through this thread you'll learn that I had some concern about my January leg being stong enough to carry the load for a newly operated leg. But, I'm fine with that now thanks to the discussion here on Bone Smart and an assessment by my PT. So I've attended another Joint Class, had the PreOp appointment with the OS, and met with the Anesthesiologist for the surgical preassessment.

I've been trying to organize for this rehab based on some of the lessons I learned last time. One of the things that really worked well for both me, as the patient, and my husband, as the caretaker, was to cook a variety of food and freeze it in individual servings. So I've been doing a lot of cooking these past few weeks. I've tried to select recipes with an eye to protein, fiber, fat & salt content, and overall variety. Also tried to select items that would appeal to a post surgical "tender stomach".

Another thing that I've been trying to do is to transition both mentally and physically from my right leg as the operated leg to my right leg as the "good" leg. PT started this process for me and I recommend it to anyone else who may be getting their second hip "done". PT had me practice sitting and using stairs with the right leg as the "good" leg. It felt odd at first because I had been protecting that leg a lot. The more I practiced the easier it got. At home, I've practiced getting into bed and getting into the car on the passenger side. The hardest adjustment for me has been the car -- I'm pretty awkward trying to slide into the seat!

Right now I'm fairly calm -- a little detached really. In some ways I know what I'm facing -- the process part of it. But, in other ways -- like how my left leg/entire body will react to this second surgery -- I just don't have a clue. I've decided that it probably isn't a smart thing for me to compare the right leg surgery with the left leg surgery so I'm trying hard not to do that.

Well, that's my story right now! I'll keep everyone updated as I move forward. Here's wishing all the best to everyone here on BoneSmart!
 
Thanks for sharing! I find it so fascinating that every time I start reading various threads, I learn something new! As I will be facing a double THR, I never gave any thought to the fact that the "bad" hip, would soon be the "good" hip. Boy, what an adjustment, not only physically, but psychologically as well!!! I will be watching your thread closely and do hope you share Both the emotional and physical aspects of your recovery.
Thanks Holly!
 
@Cynthia777 if it hadn't been for my PT I'm not sure when I would have realized things were getting ready to change! It was totally weird for me when she asked me to walk up steps leading with the operated leg. There was no pain associated with the switch -- it was all a mental shift for me!

And while I'm on the mental part of this, I think I feel different about my left leg. How strange does that sound? I've known about the problems with my left leg for a long time -- since the early 1990s. It all started for me when I fell down a flight of stairs at night on my left hip. Ouch! Didn't break anything but developed a major hematoma leaving a permanent bump on the side of my hip. A cyst formed on my left hip which an OS told me would probably result in THR "some day". I had no restrictions but monitored the hip from time to time. By 2007 the left hip had "mild to moderate" osteoarthritis. By 2012 the left hip had "severe" osteoarthritis but it didn't hurt all of the time. The right hip had never been xrayed because it had never hurt...until 2013. The xray revealed "severe" osteoarthritis in the right hip. Boy, was I surprised with that one. The left hip looked a little worse on xray than the right hip but the right hip hurt a lot more. My OS recommended surgery for the most painful leg. Done! But, now that I'm ready for the left leg I have this strange feeling that it will be like the end of an era or something. I'm certainly not sad or nostalgic about my arthritic leg but I am trying to imagine what it will be like not to be thinking about it all of the time...after almost 25+ years. I think it will be very freeing for me. Of course, I know I will have to be watchful of my two new hips for the rest of my life but that's a different mind set, don't you think?
 
@HollyB I have been thinking of you this week! I am glad to hear that your PT had been helping you to transition mentally/physically with your hips. I found this a challenging process too. I did this on my own 2 weeks before my surgery. (At the time I was discharged from my PT for the first hip so I was on my own). I found trying to transition with my cane the hardest.

I wish you all the best for your surgery next week. You will do great and be so happy to have this surgery behind you. I look forward to following your recovery.

Brenda
 
The mind is a funny thing! I tried to explain to hubby that I feel as though I'm losing a part of me (emotionally). I find it difficult to believe I feel this way, as I've always been so analytical. So, when read your story, it all makes so much sense to me. You go through life and periodically you hear of someone's mom or dad getting a hip replacement and it seems so simple...until it's you that's getting it! Again, I feel like the emotional aspect will be far more difficult than the physical recovery.
 
Wow not thinking about your hip after 25 yrs of it - quite something! It is so complex, the emotional side of things. Now 4 months or so after my replacement, I realise how having my "dodgy hip" really bought me down. I acted as if it didn't and believed it didn't BUT now i feel so much happier, younger and lighter! Better than I have done for years - mentally that is.

For the first few days I was tearful - this was seen as a physical response but to me there was the loss and reorientation. Now I catch myself thinking "oh no I have got to go upstairs to get something" as if it is a big deal, which it used to be. I then surprise my self by thinking "don't be silly it is not a problem." I can almost run up the stairs now
xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's almost Show Time for this "June Sunbeam". My LTHR is tomorrow -- don't know what time yet but the Surgical Scheduler will be calling this afternoon between 2pm and 6 pm. The Hospital is about an hour and a half from where we live so my husband and I will travel there later today and spend the night in a motel that is located directly across from the Hospital.

Right now I'm fairly calm -- well, maybe just a slight case of low grade jitters! I feel as organized as possible given the fact that there is no way to absolutely predict the outcome. I'm trying to remain flexible in my thinking-- you know, ready for "whatever". When I look at the improvement so far with my Right Leg , I'm very optimistic about then long range benefits for both of my hips.

I will probably be " off of the grid" for the next few days but I'll be back with a full report as soon as possible. In the meantime, thank you so much @NuMe2014 , @copsham , and @Cynthia777 for your kind words and support. O.K. Bone Smart Gang, fingers crossed and here I go...
 
Hi @HollyB
I think I feel a bit knotted in my stomach on your behalf!! I really, really wish you well. You are going to have to remind yourself of the long term when you are first "done"! But you know it will be okay . I think you are brave with your double whammy . All the best, warmest vibes to you x
 
Quick Update: I just received "the call" from the Surgical Scheduler. I will be the first surgery of the day for my OS. Arrival time is 5:30am tomorrow morning and I go directly to a 2nd Floor Check-in Lounge as opposed to waiting on the 1st floor in the much larger PreOp/Anesthesiology Waiting Area. My husband can go with me to the prep area and remain with me until I'm taken to the OR. I was reminded not to wear any jewelry, makeup, or nail polish. No food after midnight but I can drink clear liquids until 3:30am. I was asked if My surgeon had wanted me to use the antibacterial soap protocol. He had and I have been following that protocol. The Scheduler suggested that my husband leave any luggage in the car until after the surgery/room assignment. Plastic carrying bags are provided in the prep area for the patients' belongings. Nice to know. Wheeling or caring a suitcase around a hospital could get old really fast!

Once again @Cynthia777 and @copsham I appreciate your kind words, thoughts, and prayers.
 
"Check in lounge' sounds like an airport! I am glad you are first. I was first in the schedule too much better than waiting around half the day. Looks like you are 5 hours behind us in UK so by the time I am eating lunch you will likely be "done".

I suggest @Cynthia777 and myself grab an arm each and hurtle you over to the other side, with lots of warm vibes, sparkles and rainbow. @Legin can ensure you land properly!! (Excuse my flight of fantasy) xx
 
I was first too! So much better than hanging around...I got there and everything happened fast! You will be done before you know it and back here chatting. Best wishes!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom