THR My Hip Trip - Second Verse

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you have any suggestions for continuing rehab
Yes, hips actually don't need much or any exercises to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
Should I ask for meds to help control the pain in the left leg until surgery can be scheduled? What signs should I be looking for to let me know that I'm ready to have that second surgery?
Yes of course, if you need them. And your needing pain meds would be one sign that you are ready to have surgery. On the other hand, print off the form I have attached to this post and complete it. It will give you a really good idea of your quality of life.
 

Attachments

What signs should I be looking for to let me know that I'm ready to have that second surgery?
When my right hip started the slightest aching I ran to my GP and demanded an x-ray. I was determined not to wait for the second THR. My strategy worked as the recovery from my RTHR was MUCH easier.

Sounds like you are already planning life around that left hip. If it were me, I would get it done as soon as the surgeon agreed to do it. Life's just too short to be living in pain.
 
@Josephine and @Jaycey thank you so much for your quick responses-- you're the best! I think I rambled too much in my explanation/question (I'm a World Class Rambler so says my husband and I have to agree!). To the point, no question the second hip will be done as soon as possible. I've already discussed it with my OS. Three months is the earliest he would do it after the current surgery so the timeframe depends on my healing from the first surgery. Actually, the unoperated leg looks worse on the x-rays than the operated leg looked. However, the operated leg was more painful so my OS recommended going with the most painful leg. But, now that I'm trying to walk the unoperated leg is starting to cramp and ache -- operated leg is doing just fine! My activity is limited by the unoperated leg. I was just wondering how to deal with this until I can schedule the next surgery which I hope will be in May or June. I don't want to make things worse but I don't want to harm my new hip by not moving it enough. Does that make sense?
 
You won't harm your new hip by not doing too much. As Jo says, there is really not a lot of exercise needed after THR. Keep up your walking program, gentle stretches, and yes baby that non-op hip. Once you have the second THR you may benefit from physio to help you relearn your gait.
 
@HollyB, Sorry I have not responded until now, I am down with a wicked cold virus(I have not had a cold or Flu in over 15 years!) I guess this goes to show how much energy is still going into my recovery7 weeks later and my body just is not strong enough to fight a virus and be in recovery mode!
Your story sound exactly like mine! I had the same dilemma after my first surgery. Operated leg felt strong and good to go but the un-operated leg was not. I did my basic physio exercises of stretching and strengthening for the 12 weeks. I tried to do some walking on my treadmill in 5 minute increments but finally gave that up because of the pain and discomfort in the bad hip. I actually found that just the normal day to day activities after the twelve weeks helped to strengthen my good hip just as well as the exercises if not more!

Just like you my surgeon wanted a minimum of 3 - 4 months between surgeries... Because of it being Christmas time I was at 19 weeks post-op when I had my second one done.

Physio this time has been much easier. I have two strong hips and no pain to deal with. I am doing a little more physio than the first time but not a lot more! Walking will be my thing to really increase....at a slow and steady pace!

Between surgeries I still had to take quite a bit of pain medication too!

When I had my first hip done( right) it was the bad one. When I had the left one done it was in worse shape than my right was at the time of surgery!

After I had my first hip done I would come onto the forum here and I would see how some were recovering - off their pain meds, walking a couple miles every day .... getting on with their life, while mine was a lot slower. I had to keep reminding myself ALOT, that I would not see the real benefits until the second surgery and I was right!!! I still have a long ways to go but I'm getting there!
 
I'm so pleased with your successful recovery, @HollyB ! I have been neglecting the forum lately because I am finally getting around almost normally as I come up on week 12. It sounds like you are moving right along.

In regards to your questions, I have asked my "team" (acupuncturist, PT and Chiropractor) to help me prepare my "bad" side for a faster recovery. They seem to think they can make my recovery easier on the other side. I'll be done with PT next week, but she's given me some things I can do in the pool.

I absolutely know that it's time to do the second hip right away because it is really compromising my ability to walk with my new hip. It's causing my lumbar stenosis to act up terribly, and it just hurts constantly. It's really there to remind me why I had hip 1 done in the first place. I think I'm strong enough now, but I"m going to try to wait until early May, so I can get a head start on my recovery for the summer. I think if it's in any way compromising your ability to do anything, get it done right away. Don't wait.

Lynn
 
@copsham Thanks but I'm really neither. I'm just sick and tired of not being able to get from point A to point B without cussing and occasionally some bitter tears. :groan:
 
Week Six Update with Major Milestones and new News! But, first let me thank @Josephine , @Jaycey , @NuMe2014 , and @LibraryLynn for your suggestions re PT with both the operated and unoperated leg. I have thought long and hard about what each one of you wrote and I think you have really helped me formulate a much clearer path for PT. Basically what I plan to try going forward is to take it easy with both legs hoping to add a little strength/stretching to the operated leg but being super cautious about that and concentrating primarily on walking. If possible, I'll try to keep the unoperated leg calm and maintain as much strength and range of motion as I can.

Now for the news! I had my six week checkup with the OS on 11/03/2015. Two x-Rays were taken and I was first interviewed by a Fellowship Physician who is training under my OS. Fellowship training is the medical training that takes place after specialty training (Residency) and it usually lasts more than a year. At any rate, our conversation was very informative for me. I saw my x-Rays ( isn't that new hip a major standout item!) and could ask questions. We talked about restrictions and I was told that there were some movements that I would never be able to do. The one demonstrated in a seated position was pulling the knee to the chest and then twisting the body toward the opposite leg. It hurt to watch! Not a movement I've ever done in my life. I was asked to remain on the restrictions for at least 90 days and be cautious with my movements for the first year. I was also told that both the med reduction and the walking without a cane seem to work themselves out naturally. No need to push on either one. Then, one day, you realize you've forgotten to take pills because you didn't need them and you've walked a few steps without the cane. I was told to continue to use the cane if I found I had any sort of a limp. Actually the x-Ray showed the leg length almost exactly equal and I have felt no difference.

The OS came into the Exam Room and repeated some of the above information. We talked about the unoperated leg and he said I could schedule the surgery that day. I told him that I was considering end of May or beginning of June and he said that would be a good time frame. So, I've scheduled the next surgery for June 9, which gives me 19 weeks between the surgeries. If my recovery continues at its current slow and steady pace then I think I'll be ready. Evidently the only protocol that has changed from my January surgery is that the aspirin dose is now reduced from 325mg twice a day to 80 mg (that's a baby aspirin!) twice a day. I was told that there was clear research backing the reduction. I was also told that aspirin was not appropriate for every person.

Oh, just as a note, the drive to the hospital and back ( 3 hours total) plus the walking up and down the clinic halls didn't tire me out very much. I was surprised. It didn't hit me until much later in the evening but by then it was time to go to bed anyway! I just took this as a good sign that I was healing.

And yet another milestone: I was released from Home Health PT today and referred to outpatient PT. I'll miss my PT buddies. They did some comparison evaluations today and one of them was a timed 6 minute walk. The first effort during their very first visit had been 200 feet and I was out of breath, shaking, sweating--it felt like a major workout. This took place about Week 2. Today I walked 700 feet in six minutes and was still talking, not shaking, and definitely not sweating. I have not been pushing myself with timed walks or faster paced walks -- it just happened. Josephine and the BoneSmart Mantra have it right!

And a shout-out to @marcsgirl102 for your kind comments on this thread. I'm going to pop over to your thread and catch up. But, I so agree with you about this Forum -- it's absolutely wonderful!

Wishing everyone uneventful surgeries and rehabs!!!
 
My toenails. I've had a few pedicures in my time and consider them to be one of life's little joys. A-h-h-h the feet soaking in warm bubbly water, the clipped toenails, the removal of dry skin, the foot massage, and the colors! Oh, yes, a true joy! However, when it came to being freshly PostOp from a RTHR (just over 6 weeks), I felt hesitant to go to a manicurist. For one thing the chairs are sometimes up on pedestals making it difficult to sit. For another thing I was concerned that my immune system might not be back in full working order and an infection mignt be more likely for me. I talked to my PCP when I saw her at my PostOp two week exam and she thought it would be a good idea to see a Podiatrist and gave me a name. I made an appointment and went there today.

Let me report to all of you who might be wondering about your feet/toes that I had a wonderful experience. The chair in which I sat for the procedure was very comfortable and maintained my 90 Degree Restriction. The Nurse who helped me to the exam room said that the Practice dealt with a lot of hip replacement patients. The Doctor was very pleasant. He did a brief exam of both feet and then clipped my toenails and smoothed them with a little electric brush-like machine. He recommended that I return in 6 - 8 weeks.

Medicare and/or my supplemental insurance may pay for the procedure -- an insurance claim will be filed. But even if the insurance doesn't pay, the cost for the procedure is $40.00. Cheaper than a manicure. But, of course, my toenails are completely Plain Jane -- no hot colors. Still, the job was done in a clean, sterile environment which is what I really wanted. So, I pass this experience along for anyone who might be interested.
 
Hi @HollyB
Thanks for sharing about "feet'. It was very helpful to hear of your experience. I have been wandering what to do and now I feel clearer! The joys of bonesmart!

karen x
 
Isn't that a great feeling, @HollyB , to schedule your other hip surgery? A month ago I was still doubting the wisdom of the first surgery, but now that my new hip is proving itself a positive choice, I'm raring to go! I was giddy with the doctor's secretary as we set everything up. She was giddy for me too. I think doctor thought we'd lost our marbles the way we were carrying on. :)
I'm just glad that I don't have three hips. :rotfl:

Lynn
 
I so agree with you -- it's a great feeling to have that second surgery scheduled. We both know that the "other" hip needs to be repaired so the sooner the better, huh? Just think we have all of the equipment already and we know how the schedule/procedure works.
 
@HollyB, @LibraryLynn
Yes, round two in some ways is so much easier, you know what is coming at you so to speak, and yes you have all the equipment still! Oh and you are going into it with one strong hip, instead of two bad ones! I am still amazed at how having that one strong hip made a big difference in my second hip journey. I truly wish the best for you both.
 
Beginning of Week 7 Update Yesterday I was discharged from Home Health Occupational Therapy. This means that I am now officially discharged from all three areas of Home Health: nursing, physical therapy, and occupational therapy. The OT specialist put me through my paces to make sure I knew how to move my body correctly (I remain with the Posterior Hip Restrictions) doing such things as sitting, getting into bed, manuevering in the kitchen, using the various aides (e.g. Grabber), etc. She cautioned me about twisting movements and violating the 90 Degree Restriction. She said that the only dislocation event that she had encountered in 10 years was with a man who evidently bent over too much and then twisted while sitting on the commode -- he was attempting to clean himself and, she thought, just probably forgot about the restrictions. I pass that story on to all Hippies as an example of something to consider re movements/restrictions. She also cautioned me about the "Golfers Reach". She said I could do it but to think about it before hand because I might bend down using the "Reach" to, as an example, load the dishwasher and twist while I was in the lower position. Not good according to her. The washer and dryer were another example of this and she suggested using a grabber to get that sock that was stuck in the back! I thought her laundry suggestion was a good one and will put a grabber in the laundry room.

I have purchased a pedometer called a Fit Bit Zip which not only measures my steps but syncs with my IPad and IPhone. For me, it makes walking a game. There are loads of good pedometers on the market if this appeals to anyone.

At Week 7 I can report that I'm feeling pretty good. Actually the unoperated leg aches more than the operated leg but I'll be dealing with those aches on June 9. My pain level on the operated leg ranges from 0 - 2. The calf, hamstring, and groin are the locations that ache when I do ache. All three of those areas plus the outside of my thigh hurt a lot before the surgery; but, now I don't have pain in the outside of the thigh at all and the other three areas are both intermittent and much, much reduced pain-wise. My feeling is that most of this will resolve itself if I'm careful. And on an especially happy note, when I walk with my cane I can walk farther and without any sort of a limp than I could before the surgery! Folks, that is a continuous thrill for me!! And, I am starting to take a few steps without the cane -- wow, just wow! I am still taking Meds -- Tramadol 50mg 3 times a day and Tylenol 2925 mg a day spaced over 3 doses. Slowly, slowly, slowly I am reducing the Meds but have no shame In upping them again if things start hurting. I actually expect I will start hurting more when I attend outpatient PT next week. My goal for PT is to maintain as much as possible the movement/strength in the unoperated leg without "stirring it up" and to help the operated leg heal without injury/pain. I've worked with my outpatient PT for several years and I believe she will totally respect my body and my goals for this period approaching the next surgery.

I continue to rest a lot -- breaks in both the AM and late afternoon. But, I'm starting to go on little outside adventures -- shopping for my niece's birthday card, going to the Podiatrist for a toenail clipping, visiting the health food store -- lots of fun but also very educational for me. For instance, I now know that I must be on the alert for other people who are walking and talking to each other or texting or just not paying attention because they could bump into me and cause me to lose my already weak balance. This is a new discovery for me so I pass that along to all my Hippie Buddies. I take my walks every day (almost 1/2 mile but I break it up over the day because of the unoperated leg); I do PT exercises (half of the reps) every other day; I so seated upper body stretches every day and have been given two leg stretches( hamstring and calf ) with which I'm experimenting. So far the leg stretches haven't caused any pain during, after, or the next day.

Wishing everyone happy and healthy days!
 
Sheeeeesh well done you. V organised and thought out, (must be a female thing). I like how you are protecting other leg mine shouts at me so im obviously not, but hey thinking isnt my forte, good luck in week 8 + + +

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Is this a Problem? Before my RTHR I had pain ( 3-5) in the outside of my calf. The docs chased sciatica for several months but zeroed in on the hips. After surgery the calf continued to feel different but nowhere near pain level prior to surgery ( now pain is just an annoying 1 - 1.5). But, I have recently noticed as I am starting to walk more that my big toe ( of all things!) is staring to tingle and feel odd. Some background might help: I was told by PT several years ago that I had overdeveloped the outside of my right calf by ever so slightly leaning on the outside of my foot. My gut reaction to the big toe sensations is that my body is somehow starting to sort itself out and I'm now putting weight correctly on my feet but my toe is sensitive to this since I haven't walked correctly for awhile. The only swelling that I continue to have is in my ankle and it almost immediately resolves itself when I elevate my leg for a short period. Should I be concerned? How long, in general, does something like this take to resolve itself?

Part Two I did a couple of no-nos and I'm paying the price. Just want to check and see if this is any sort of a problem. I was sitting in bed two days ago and felt a prick on the outside of my ankle on my operated leg ( I think it was a feather sticking out from the duvet) but It made me jump and I turned my foot inward toward the midline. Little ouch but no harm done. My groin area felt sensitive but no real pain. However, later on the same day, I did some walking in increments-- 10 minutes, 6 minutes, 5 minutes-- and by the end of the day I had walked .75 of a mile which is the most I've walked to date. I've been on a progression from .25 to .30 to . 40 to . 50 to . 64. I have not been doing any PT exercises for the past week and a half. My pain Meds are 50mg Tramadol 3 times a day for a total of 150mg.; 3500 mg Tylenol spread throughout the day at about 6 hour intervals; 1 200mg Celebrex daily. After the .75 miles of walking I developed pain in the groin area of my operated leg plus pain in the joint area ( probably around a 3-4).Yesterday I only walked as necessary (total about .25 mile), iced, elevated, rested, and took an extra tramadol. Today, I'm still feeling the pain although it may be a little less but I've been staying in bed most of the time so I'm not sure. In bed the pain is 0-1 so yeah! But when I walk it seems to head upward --3. Hopefully, I've just overdone it and things will calm down but it's concerning to me because I clearly violated one of the posterior hip restrictions. The sensation I am feeling in the groin and around the joint area is as though someone is pinching me. I'm starting to have some difficulty raising my leg as I get into bed. So, should I be concerned?
 
Still wondering about the previous post but here's some more info.: after writing the above post I had my first outpatient PT appointment with a PT specialist who has worked with me for several years. She commented that my walking (with the cane) looked good and balanced. She further noted that I was very stiff and guarded with my movements. And, she's right! I realized when she said that that I am afraid of moving my body -- very nervous & scared. I feel fragile. I told her how I felt and she said that it was perfectly normal and that we would go very slow. (Thank goodness for that because I was afraid to roll onto the side of my unoperated leg when she asked me to do that and I didn't roll --go figure). She did a movement evaluation which didn't hurt at all and she massaged my incision. Just to emphasize how protective I've been, she is the first person, including me, to actually touch and manipulate that area. I haven't even put soap directly on the incision. But, the massage felt good and she told me that the soft tissues felt good and loose. She gave me 4 exercises: lying down on the bed glute squeezes - 5reps; lying down on the bed moving operated gently to the side - 10 reps; lying down on the bed bridges - 10 reps; lying down on the bed and rolling a stability ball back and forth gently and not over 90 degrees for about 1 minute if possible. My hamstrings are terrifically tight so I really don't have much range of motion yet but hope that will figure itself out. I told her about the ankle swelling, big toe soreness, and the calf aches and she advised me to ease up on walking for right now and she would monitor the situation as we went forward.

Speaking of ankle swelling, big toe soreness, and calf aches: all three are still with me. The ankle swells around the outside ankle bone and about an inch below that bone on the operated leg. Last night I noticed that my ankle felt weak and it occurred to me that I could fall if it gave out suddenly ( not a good thought!). The big toe continues to tingle and feel odd when I walk. The calf isn't very troubling -- just sore.

I tried the 4 PT exercises and they didn't seem to bother anything -- well, I knew that my hamstrings had stretched a bit but in a good way. There was no swelling and I guess that was because everything was done lying down. A different matter when I walk or sit in a chair. Walking results in ankle swelling and toe tingling. Sitting for more than 20 minutes results in swelling.

Yesterday and today I have done very little walking ( total 400 steps), I have iced and I have elevated. I continue with 150mg Tramadol (daily total)' 3500 mg Tylenol (daily total), and 200mg Celebrex. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? How long should I wait it out before I check it out with my OS? Oh, and by the way, the swelling isn't new. Since the operation the ankle has been swelling. At first, it was swollen all the way across the bend of the foot but now it is confined to the ankle bone area as described above. The sensation that the ankle is weak and could give out is new as of yesterday. The toe business is new as of 4-5 days ago.

Anyone have any thoughts/comments?
 
an especially happy note, when I walk with my cane I can walk farther and without any sort of a limp than I could before the surgery! Folks, that is a continuous thrill for me!!
Hi @HollyB - love this quote from your wonderfully comprehensive reports above. So great to hear.

I am not much help with the swelling, inadvertent breach of rules or pains in different areas though... but looking at everything (from my distant perspective, ie your ow-ie, not mine) it does look like you are definitely motoring well and progressing. Very glad you have such a reliable friend in your PT, she sounds like a dream!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom