THR My Hip Trip - Second Verse

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may not be the same but anxiety can take something and turn it into a much bigger thing....for me anyway. I had a major panic attack in the hospital where everything finally hit with a huge dose of reality. Keep calling your doctor until you get some answers that let you calm down a bit. Anxiety combined with fear and wondering now what?????? Were hard for me. That with pain and med issues and constipation really hit me the first week home. Keep us posted and stay strong. Xo
 
@HollyB I can relate to how you are feeling because that is how I felt after my second replacement. Everything was fine with my second replacement but I felt more anxious and thought the worst with every pain and twinge. It is a hard feeling to describe. In my case it did get better, it's just early days now for you. Relax, rest and let your husband take extra special care of you!
 
@donor sorry you went through the anxiety "stuff" but I really appreciate hearing about your experience. Good idea re calling the doctor's office to get answers even if the questions are anxiety driven! Home PT had a scheduled visit this morning and, although we tried to cancel her visit, she didn't receive our message. However, her visit reduced some of the anxiety because she examined my calf -- no problem and she's seen blood clots before. She also talked about the precautions and doubled-checked the discharge instructions. I felt much easier because of her visit.

Still, I'm sitting here in bed feeling unsettled. The nausea med helped a lot but I'm definitely not 100%. Husband has read that one of the side-affects for Dilaudid is anxiety/mood change. Maybe the Meds....

Thanks again for your response and I'll try to stay strong!
 
Oh,@NuMe2014 , I'm s-o-o-o glad that you sent me a message -- and such a timely one. It helps a lot to know that someone else has experienced similar symptoms and that those symptoms worked themselves out. I think I need to keep your mantra of Slow and Steady in the forefront of my thoughts!

By the way, that picture of your garden was beautiful! I think I'll go have another look right now and think relaxing thoughts!!! Thank you for keeping up with me.
 
@HollyB You poor thing! Sounds like you may be having a reaction to your pain meds. Can you tell me exactly what meds you are taking (including doses) and how often. I think we need @Josephine to comment on your anxiety. Hang in there! Still early days for you and your second surgery this year.
 
I am taking 2 mg of Dilaudid every 6 hour, 50 mg of Tramadol every six hours. The Tramadol and Dilaudid are staggered so that I take one or the other of them every 3 hours over a 24 hour period. Like so: 9am Tramadol; Noon Dilaudid; 3pm Tramadol; 6pm Dilaudid ...etc. The Discharge Instructions called for Dilaudid every 3 hours and Tramadol every 6 hours. I followed those instructions in the hospital and upon the initial return home. The reduction in the Dialaudid was started when I first showed signs of nausea on Monday. Pain has been controlled at a 1 - 3 level. Lately it goes to 0 if I'm lying very still in bed. I am taking an anti-nausea med as needed (parmethazine -- spelling is probably wrong). In addition to the Dilaudid and Tramadol, I take 1000 mg Tylenol every 3 hours. The blood thinner is 2 baby aspirin -- one in the am and one in the pm.

The OS's Nurse wants me to take Dilaudid and Tramadol as long as the pain can be controlled. She wants me to take the anti-nausea med as needed to control nausea. The Home Health Nurse has discussed the next reduction in Dialaudid (when appropriate) as perhaps happening during the night. If I'm asleep when a dose of Dialaudid is due then I'm not waked up. See how I feel when I do wake up and either stop the nighttime dose if there is no pain or put it back into the schedule if there is pain.

One of the problems this go around is that I have a pretty heavy dose of anxiety on top of the nausea. The anxiety is frightening to me. I seem to be worrying about every thing. My calf aches and I think blood clots. The OS tells me that I have very soft bones -- he could feel the softness. So, I'm worried that those "soft" bones might not hold up the new hip -- especially when I stand and my leg bones crack/pop (not every time and it doesn't hurt). I worry that the new hip wasn't placed correctly because the incision is longer than the January incision and I have a different sort of pain from January. And on and on and on.... Oddly, the anti-nausea med calmed down both the nausea and the anxiety this morning.

Oh, I am taking Colace, a stool softner, twice a day and have had BMs on the day of discharge plus 2 of the 5 days that I have been at home.

Any help or direction you could give me would be most appreciated.
 
@Jaycey -- the drugs are messing with me for sure! I forgot to tag you on the previous post. I'm so sorry but I'm having something of a struggle right now.
 
We will need Josephine's expertise on this but I have seen several members here who had trouble with Tramadol. If you just do a search one of the side effects is anxiety. I am not recommending you reduce or stop any of your meds however. Let's see what Jo recommends.
 
@Jaycey ( anc other interested Bone Smarties). I received a call from my OS's Nurse. The Physical Therapist had called her and reported that I had cancelled my PT session as I was nauseated, anxious, and complaining of aches and pains. The OS's Nurse is concerned because I mentioned my calf -- she said she had had a Pulmonary Embolism herself and if was something not to be taken lightly. She said anxiety could be a symptom so caution is in order. I told her that my anxiety was taking the form of worry about everything associated with the surgery and my leg. She asked if I had any oxycodone left from the first surgery -- I do but not enough. She thinks I should switch from the Dilaudid to the Oxycodone and take anti-nausea med, Promethezan, when I feel sick. She thinks the Dilaudid could be causing the anxiety and not covering the pain as well as the oxy did for me. Even though oxycodone made me nauseated it worked better with the pain than the Dialaudid.

Th OS's Nurse put me on hold and consulted with my Surgeon. When she came back on line I could hear the two of them continuing to talk. He was saying that my surgery had gone fine and that a med interaction seemed a strong possibility to him. He didn't sound as concerned about a blood clot as his Nurse but she kept reminding him that she did have a bias in that direction. Fun conversation to overhear!

The OS's Nurse is going to call my Personal Physician and see if she can fill a prescription for oxycodone locally so that we (my husband) won't have to drive 3 hours to pick up the prescription from my surgeon's office. In the meantime, the OS's Nurse cautioned me to drink plenty of fluids and to move -- "get up and move around more than just going to the bathroom". She will call me back this afternoon and I am to report by phone to the Surgeon's Assistant in the morning because his Nurse will not be in the office.

I can say, and I told the Nurse this, that the anxiety improved after I took the anti-nausea med, Promethazine, earlier today. I still fill sick, shakey, and have lots of aches. I have been downing fluids as instructed and have been taking little 5 -10 minute walks every hour. Now the front of my knee on the operated side feels sore. Go figure. I just want this to get sorted out and to quit feeling so lousy. By the way, part of the "lousy" is having strange dreams -- not nightmares or anything frightening but just these long, weird dreams that never seem to end.
 
@HollyB
Aww you poor girl. I agree that you might have post op blues. I cried at everything my first two weeks and sometimes still do~each step that I got better, I cried~ my daughters would stay with me~ I cried~ a friend would visit~ I cried~ I would look back preop ~ I cried~ I worry about getting back to work~ I cried ~ my leg swelled~I cried! I think you see the pattern. ;)
There are good articles in this forum about post op depression~ they might help you.
I hope you feel better and be good to yourself. Hang in there and call your doctor if you think it might be something else.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am taking 2 mg of Dilaudid every 6 hour, 50 mg of Tramadol every six hours.
I did a search and found these

Hydromorphone side effects include
mood or mental changes
delusions of persecution, mistrust, suspiciousness, or combativeness
fear or nervousness

Tramadol side effects include
discouragement
confusion
feeling jittery

These are all indicative of anxiety and changed mood which could be
By the way, part of the "lousy" is having strange dreams
I've heard others say they got weird dreams with Tramadol but I fortunately escaped that!
The OS tells me that I have very soft bones -- he could feel the softness. So, I'm worried that those "soft" bones might not hold up the new hip
Oh they will, don't worry about that. The area round the implants will be greatly reinforced by the implants.
 
Hi @HollyB
Sorry to read of your trials and tribulations. It is not easy is it? I was nauseous from pain meds and very tearful and ended up taking the strongest dose of tylenol/paracetamol only and this was okay for me thank goodness! It must seem like eternity. Big hug to you and wishing you lots of improvement x
 
Thanks to Josephine for the med research. Thanks as well to @Sullivand for your description of how the PostOp Blues hit you. I know it wasn't funny at the time -- far from it, huh?-- but the way you wrote about it brought a nod and a smile to me and ... what you said really, really helped me lighten up. I could so identify with what you were describing. Thank you so much -- you've done your good deed for the day!!! And sweet @copsham you are always there for all of us here on BoneSmart. I cherish your kind words of support and they always lift up my spirits.

Right now I'm feeling better because I think there is a path -- maybe not too clear but a path nonetheless. The OS's Nurse called back this afternoon after another chat with the Surgeon. I feel so much better that the entire team is in the loop -- that helps a ton with any anxiety. I am to switch out the Dialaudid and start taking Oxycodone. When nausea breaks through I am to take anti-nausea med. The Home Health Nurse will be here tomorrow and I scheduled PT for Friday (believe me it will be very light session!). The OS's Nurse is going to talk directly to my Personal Physician (she tried to phone her today but could not make contact). I know the OS's Nurse is concerned about blood clots but she is also concerned about the anxiety I am experiencing. I told her that I wasn't ashamed to "own" the anxiety as I felt I was definitely experiencing a dose of it. Could it be Meds? Could it be fear of the nausea ( I really do hate nausea/vomiting, etc.)? Could it be post-op anxiety about the surgery? A combination? Who knows. But, I am feeling much calmer right now and hope to continue that way. I have taken the first dose of oxycodone -- so far so good.
 
@HollyB I had bilateral thr 4 weeks ago and I had a similar experience for a few days. I was so anxious, nauseous, shaky, worrying about everything! I felt like I was having a bad trip or something! I was really freaking out. I couldn't stop crying. For me, I think I was on too much painkiller and we ended up stopping the Tramadol all together. I just took the oxy and Tylenol. After that I felt much better!!!
 
Thank you @Zumbamama for letting me know I'm not the only one to have an experience like this. I have "lurked" on both your preop and PostOp thread and am thrilled at your recovery! You are one brave woman to tackle both hips at the same time. I'll be glad when the pain calms down and I can stop some of the Meds. Last time Tramadol and Tylenol worked for me with pain levels from 0 - 2; this time the pain is more bothersome 2 - 4. Hope you continue on a good rode to recovery!
 
I couldn't find "Thread Tools" on my Thread -- could just be me! Could one of the Moderators please change the name of my Thread to: My Hip Trip: Second Verse. Thanks in advance and I'll start doing some catching up as I transition from the first surgery to the second one on June 9 ( only 9 days to go),
So sorry that no one noticed your request to modify your thread title! I've done that for you now.

One suggestion about the uneasiness you're feeling. Be sure you're getting enough rest. Since you're having these odd dreams, that will mean you're not sleeping very soundly at night. You may benefit by taking some naps during the day. Give it a try if you haven't been doing that. I'm sure all this will pass, but I know it can feel scary when it's going on. Hang in there....
 
@HolllyB
I am glad I could help you feel just a tiny bit better. It's good to share and know you aren't alone. My daughters got so cute about it~ they would do the smallest of things and then say oh she's crying again and hand me tissues or they would get ready to do something for me and say will this make you cry? It was sweet. Another wonderful thing that came out of this was that when my siblings called me on the phone ~I would cry~ we love each other but don't talk often enough but now we call regularly and they call one another often now too. The silver lining to the "why me" was it brought my family closer together. Keep your heart open for your silver linings. :)
And obey Josephine and take naps! Haha!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope you are taking the naps as and when the old eyelids get heavy. The dreams will get better as you feel less anxious in yourself. I did a fair amount of work monitoring dream when working with young people as they give indication s to their emotional well being.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@HollyB so glad to hear you are feeling better. Sounds like your surgeon's office is very responsive - that in itself is calming. Rest, rest and more rest. Please keep us updated when you can.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom