Guest viewing is limited

THR My Hip Trip - Second Verse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello @HollyB
Swelling
I can't help on the swelling I just had a "log leg" for about a day it was swollen, burning hot, stretched But went very quickly when I elevated for several sessions of one hour. A thought - are you elevating high enough? I did read on this sight it has to be higher than your heart.

Ankles
My ankles are not swollen but in the past 2 weeks they have given way a few times. I feel in a muddle with it. The saga started when I could not balance well on one leg then the other. I could see that my ankles were caving in. When I was a kid we would call this being flat footed! The physio suggested I practice every day but things did not improve. She then gave me an exercise, hard to explain but standing on a towel and trying to scrunch the towel up with my toes. It is since i have been doing this that my ankles have given way. Physio is away over Easter so will see her after that.

Calf muscles
My calves feel tight not a major problem so I have assumed that it is because they are being used slightly differently than before op. One problem is that i am getting cramp in the night in my calf , in my operated side.
need to buy some tonic water for it.

let us know how things develop
Karen x
 
Hi there @Legin. Thank you for such great encouragement as the process moves forward. I was just checking out your thread and I believe you and I have some things in common. Good ones like working with children who have problems -- I was a Social Worker and then Department Director for a number of years. And then some not so good ones as we may share foot/leg issues. Take a look at a couple of my recent posts and see what you think. "Doctor" Holly (that would be me :rotfl:) thinks my body just might be realigning. On the other hand, there could be some nerve involvement. Any advise from your experience?
 
@Great Aunt Janet I'm so glad you posted on my thread -- and such nice comments. Thank you so much. I've been reading your Thread in the PreOp section. It first caught my eye because I love,love,love your tag name! I was also intrigued with your question re plane travel after surgery. I don't have any tips for you but seems like you've gotten some good advice and have it all under control. I'm so impressed with the manner in which you're approaching the whole thing. You won't regret doing all of the PreOp planning. Sending you best wishes for a very successful surgery and uneventful recovery!
 
Hello HollyB. Yup i worked with most problems that can be found with young people but truly enjoyed working and researching attachment deficit dissorder and remarkable results that can come across the board. Re nerves the only thing I can say about nerves is that nothing seems predictable. I have had from total numbness no feeling or movement to awakening and mind numbing pain. One thing I have learned is to keep working the area without pain of course. It all takes time I have found the Lyrica to be effective most noted if I miss pain relief times. Good luck and its always good to read your upbeat posts

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hello @copsham -- many thanks for your comments on my latest obsessions! Isn't it the wildest thing that every little twinge or change causes concern ... or is that just me?

Elevating for the swelling ... well, duh, on my part! I started elevating my leg again in the afternoons for about an hour and it has helped. Thank you for reminding me! Here's a little trick my PT had me try: elevate the leg and then do a few foot pumps -- that felt good to me and seemed to ease the swelling,too.

You described the ankle situation perfectly -- "ankles caving in". Oddly that sensation ihas gone away as quickly as it appeared. I'll take it!

So far I haven't had any leg cramps although I am prone to have them. Have you tried eating bananas for the potassium? And, I believe Poppet and others on this site recommend magnesium for leg cramps but double-check that because I'm using my memory and I'm still taking Tramadol!

I've been keeping up with your updates and will pop over to your thread for a quick comment on your last post. Take care and continued wishes to you for an excellent outcome.
 
Hello BoneSmart Gang, it's time for the Week 8 and Week 9 Update. Actually my rehab is moving along at a nice slow and steady pace. I'm starting to do some more "normal" activities such as going to the hairdresser, making business calls, meeting with landscaper re all of the Winter damage to plants in our yard, visiting with a friend here at home who brought good books and lots of laughs, walking outside with my trusty cane, a bit of shopping, showering without supervision, standing in the shower as opposed to using a shower bench, walking inside without the cane (WOW!), starting Out Patient PT (well, maybe that isn't so "normal" to the nonhippie!), and starting to prepare for the second hip replacement surgery on June 9 (pretty sure this isn't normal to the nonhippie!).

I'm slowly reducing the Meds -- 2 50mg Tramadols daily, 2000 - 3000mg Tylenol daily, 1 200mg Celebrex daily. I'm experimenting a bit with the Celebrex. Traditionally it has been the only med that gave any relief to my unoperated leg so I'm taking it to see if it still helps. Before surgery I found that Tylenol helped the right leg and Celebrex helped the left leg. The difference probably relates to what I've read here on BoneSmart about each surgery being different even for the same person. I anticipate differences for this second surgery just don't know what they will be.

A Few Words about OutPatient PT and my Fear of Certain Movements I've got to guess that I'm not the only one who feels a bit fragile/protective of the new hip and incision. I have been super cautious and guarded about how I place my body because I did have posterior approach with the movement restrictions. But, it's more than that. Here's my best example for everyone: when I had my first Out Patient Session , I was lying on a table and the PT asked me to roll over on my unoperated side. I couldn't do it because I was flat out scared to do it. She didn't push me to roll on my side and said that protectiveness of the body post surgery was a very normal reaction in her experience. She explained how the movement could be done safely. The next session I was able to do the movement but still felt very hesitant. Guess what one of my PT exercises is? I am to place a pillow between my legs (the safety precaution),roll onto my unoperated leg, and then just rest in that position for 3-5 minutes.
The exercise is working for me! Gotta love my PT for being so kind and understanding. So, Bone Smart Gang, if you do have some hesitation about certain movements then I would encourage you to own it and speak up. And, I have found that,for me,it isn't just certain exercises that cause my guard to go up but there are certain tasks (e.g. getting into the shower properly--problem solved with demonstration by OT who came to the house as part of Home Health). All the best to everyone!
 
Hello @HollyB
I love your posts - "Before surgery I found that Tylenol helped the right leg and Celebrex helped the left leg"
This conjured up an image of you with one blue leg and one red leg, cartoon style. I don't know why!

You are so right about protectiveness of hip and incision. In the early days I was trying to stick 110% to the restrictions and being nervous and paranoid about it. I felt one move wrong and I would dislocate. Then I read about the Guy's Hospital Study where research showed that the same number of dislocations happened in the restriction group and the non restriction group. I can't remember the statistic but it was a tiny, tiny amount in each group. At this point I relaxed a little in my fear of dislocation.

I did not like the feel of my incision once the external stitches were taken out. It felt very vulnerable. if I knew then what I know now I would have kept the dressing on after this.

You are really good to plan to do the second one. At this point my second one is fine - fingers crossed. It must be strange for every one how each hip is such a different experience.

x
 
@HollyB I have been so negligent in my thread reading and responding. It seemed much easier when I was drugged up on oxy and stuck to the chair. Now that life is full speed for me again, I always think...I will do that later when I have more time to respond.
I'm sorry about your calves and big toe. I have to say that through the plethora of problems that I've had, I never had a sore big toe. Is it swollen or has it resolved itself by now? It has been awhile.
I fought and continue to fight with sore calves. My entire life has been a series of calf issues, so I am very familiar. In fact, at one point before they figured out the hip component, they were going to cut a notch into my calf muscles so I could put my feet down. Turns out it wasn't my calves that were the issue but my hips. Anyway, since surgery, I have often found it helpful to ice my calves. I get a terrible ache in my shins, not my calf muscles, since surgery on my surgical side. It's fairly significant sometimes, but I find the ice calms it down a bit. My PT person says it's everything realigning after 52 years of abuse, but I have noticed that it is lessening. I did start with those pains pretty early on after surgery, too.
I am proud to report that at week 14, I'm moving around pretty well. I credit much of that to acupuncture, and now cupping. My acupuncturist continues to use the needles and they are providing me with significant relief, but the past couple weeks, she has added cupping into the mix. She initially added it because I had a cold and my asthma, combined with spring allergies, was really causing me trouble. I asked if she could do my lower back too, and bingo, we have another alternative therapy that really helps me Those cups seem to offer some relief to the arthritis in my spine. I trotted around like Secretariat today after my session. I'm sure tomorrow I'll be creekier, but for now, I'm happy.

18 days to hip 2 for me!
Lynn
 
Hi there @copsham. You have me :rofsign:with that image of the blue leg/red leg! I never thought of it like that but now that you mention it...well, just the perfect description.

Thank you for relating to my body guarding tendencies. It was just the oddest thing for me because I didn't realize I was doing it to the extent that I was. Now that I'm aware of the "guarding" (my image for that is my little Cairn Terrier, Katie -- a master at guarding, especially food) I know that I can work with it and move ahead.

And that second surgery -- thanks again for your supportive comments. I've gotten some mixed reactions when I've mentioned the plan to other people. Like, "What?! So soon" or "You have to have both of them done!" or just "Oh No!". The comments are like water off a duck's back for me -- I don't pay any attention to them. My family (and, yes, that now includes all of you Bone Smarties!) is in full support so I'm forging ahead and hopeful that I'll feel strong enough for round two in June.
 
Hi @HollyB it sounds like your recovery is progressing very nicely. Once again I can relate to the "protectiveness " and "guarding" of your new hip. I was like that with my first replacement, I was always scared of dislocating and super cautious in following my restrictions! Even after the 12 weeks I did not try to push past the 90 degrees for 3-4 weeks and then very cautiously! This hip has been much different, I have been much more relaxed and in tune with how by new hip feels. Most of the time I have followed the restrictions but I push them! If it does not feel "right" or I feel pain I pull back and stop.
With regards to putting the pillow between your legs and turning over and laying on your stomach for a few minutes - I remember being scared of doing that, but once I did I loved it! This "exercise" felt so good it gently stretched the muscles at the front of the hip and I found it very relaxing. I remember with my second hip asking my PT when I could start to do this! Week 3 was when I was allowed.
With my second hip surgery most people in my community knew I had to have my other hip done, but I never told anyone other than family when I was going to have it. So this spring when I came out of "hibernation" I surprised a lot of people!
Take care.
 
The Good :thumb: and The Bad:tantrum2:( but not too bad): WEEK 10 UPDATE.

The Good: Week 10 for me has brought some noticeable progress in recovery.
- rarely use the cane in the house anymore
- Meds reduced. No more Tramadol. Just taking 3000 mg of Tylenol and 1 200 mg of Celebrex as needed (so not every day!)
- able to navigate the Big Box stores with my trusty cane :old:
- able to walk the length of our driveway, which is on an incline that would raise my heart rate even during my "salad days". :egypdance:
- sat on our screened porch with my husbandon one of those spectacular Spring afternoons. We talked, laughed, and had a glass of WINE !!:loveshwr:
- in general I am more active:yahoo:
- waking up in the mornings, looking out the window and thinking to myself, " Let's have some fun today!":dancy:
(This is my absolute favorite Progress Note for all of you -- and I'm wishing everyone bunches and bunches of good/ great days!).

The Bad: Hello Stomach Virus. Evidently this little monster was traveling around our community. I was up all night when it first hit (no nausea or vomiting -- it was "the other" variety). It lingered the next day but eased considerably and was gone by the third day. I did have to cancel OutPatient PT for the week, though. The not-so-bad part of the virus was that it didn't knock me out as those things tend to do. I felt as though my body/immune system was operating in a normal fashion. I've wondered how long it would take for my immune system to build back from the surgery...maybe I have the answer.

All the best to every single member of the Bone Smart Gang!

P.S. Back to PT at the first of the week and I'll post a report on that a little later because some of you might be interested in the information. My PT (she has her PhD) was giving me an overview of therapeutic PT and what she considers important for recovery. As a teaser for you, she considers 6 months to be the earliest point to begin any sort of real strength exercises and cautions a year or more for true recovery. She evidently sees the year after replacement as a time to heal and slowly recover with the goal of doing PT just enough so that you do not develop a "stiff" hip. Something tells me that Josephine would probably like my PT! More later!
 
Your PT sounds like mine. My two physiotherapists say much the same. The first year is to recover and heal.
Glad to hear you are doing so well.
 
@Josephine a potential issue has developed for me and I would so appreciate your expert opinion as a guide to help me make a good, solid decision. I had minimally invasive posterior RTHR on 27/01/2015. My recovery has been slow and steady. At my six week appointment with my OS the left hip was scheduled for 09/06/2015 -- a 19 week gap between surgeries.

I started outpatient PT about 5 weeks ago and have been pleasantly surprised at how much the program has helped me. At the beginning my PT told me that, if my goal was to have the second surgery on June 9, my operated leg might not be strong enough to handle the initial recovery period and rehab. She is doing a reevaluation this coming Monday and I have asked her to be brutally honest with me about my fitness for the second surgery.

I'm fairly neutral about the timing for the surgery -- I see pros and cons for either keeping the June date or delaying until Fall. What I want is to give myself the best chance for success with both the second surgery and the surgery that I had in January. I also want to be considerate of the OS and Hospital schedules and give them enough advance warning of a delay (if that is the decision) so that my slot could be used by someone else. And, of course, if there is no delay then I need to get cracking with the organizational part!

It may help you to know that I am now walking in the house without any walking aides although I continue to use my cane in crowds as a safety feature. My gait is normal -- my PT has commented on how well both of my hips are supporting me when I walk. The unoperated leg is now the one that fatigues on me first. The remaining issues with the operated leg are continued swelling in the ankle although that seems to be less and less; soreness in the calf which was a much larger problem before the surgery (OS commented to me that it could be a nerve issue;PT thinks it could be tight muscles and body readjustment after surgery); and weak ankles for which I'm doing some gentle ankle strengthing exercises and the exercises seem to be helping. My gut reaction to the lower leg issues is that it feels like I'm very slowly and subtly realigning my body -- tilting from walking on the outside of my foot back to a neutral position. The treads of my shoes show that I walked on the outside of my foot on the operated leg. But, I'm not a Medical Professional so it's just a guess.

So, Josephine, I hope I've given you enough information so that you can help me figure out how to approach what may be an important decision. Oh, and just to be clear, the PT's evaluation, while important, is not the deciding factor. I'm wanting to look at the situation from a lot of different angles -- e.g. my mental readiness (I'm ready!). Thanks you so much for taking a look at this and if you have any questions for me then fire away!
 
While I would never even pretend to be our beloved Josephine, I can speak to the second hip from someone who just hip 2's perspective.
I had hip 1 done December 17, 2014. I ended up in PT for 12 weeks, mostly swimming, because I waited too long in bad condition (not diagnosed until August 2014). I really struggled through my rehab of hip 1 due to a very tight psoas and generally uncooperative muscles. My hip was great, but everything connected to it....a struggle.

I had originally thought I'd have hip 2 done at the beginning of June due to summer break. Then I moved it forward to May 15 because my hip 1 indicated a longer rehab. I did not think I would be even near ready because my surgical hip was still painful in a low level way until the beginning of March. Then...I turned the corner. I could get around without an assistive device, albeit sometimes rather stiffly, and suddenly my non surgical hip was hurting WAY more than the surgical side.

I had my second hip done last Friday, April 24. That's 18 weeks and two days from my first surgery.my recovery with hip 2 seems to be traveling the path of hip 1, although I have more mobility and issues seem to resolve faster on hip 2. My psoas has unfurled its flag for this side too, and it has made it known it plans to be just as stubborn this time around.

All of that said, I absolutely did not make a mistake having the second side done when I did. It's wonderful having a sturdy side that I can count on, and it has given me zero problems through my rehab. It's very nice to have that.

Mentally, the second hip has been much easier because I know what to expect. Also, I'm not as afraid of "hurting" my new hip like I was the first time. People can tell you not to worry, but you need to experience it yourself.

We are all different and all THR's are different, even on the same person. Do what you feel is best for you, but based on what you've told us, I say you should consider going for it. :yahoo:

Lynn
 
Hello @HollyB
What a decision to make, presumably a million pros and cons as well as all of us being unique.

@LibraryLynn - you are impressive to be writing so fluently just a week after your op. I was still sleeping so much and barely managing the bare essentials. Well done!
xx
 
My dear @HollyB My feeling is that you are vastly over-thinking this! Sometimes people have both hips done at teh same time, sometimes a week or two in between. 19 weeks is plenty. Don't delay - get it done!
 
A lot of grand advise and me thinks you have probably already thought thru most if not all the suggestions. It just that once I decide to thats it I have agreed to go thru it alllllll again and what of the opperated leg. Well as for opperated leg Holls it will get way more rest than it does now as you will be resting, so it will more than cope. As for doing it all again well read your old posts you are sooo much a stronger person re all this surgery stuff. And you have us lot here from minute 1 of recovery. If im wrong, often am, I hope you manage to make the decision you feel happiest with

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @HollyB
Thinking of you. How are you? Was the re-evaluation helpful today - as I suppose that will dictate what you do next.
[Bonesmart.org] My Hip Trip - Second Verse

X
 
Thank you everyone for your kind and helpful comments re the decision to go forward (or not) with the next surgery. @Josephine one of the things I so admire and respect about you is that you have the ability to cut through to the core of the issue -- in this case you were s-o-o-o-o right -- I was totally overthinking the matter. I have been accused of being like a dog with a bone when I'm struggling with a decision! Thank you for helping me on this one.

I walked into the PT evaluation without my cane and asked if anyone noticed anything different about me. Cheers all around. My PT had not seen me for about two weeks as I had been working with her assistants during my sessions. She was beyond pleased with my progress and now has no reservations about the upcoming surgery. The plan is to continue with PT, working on both legs, until surgery on June 9.

So, I'm going to proceed with the second surgery and I'm relieved to have the decision made. I've contacted my Personal Physician, reserved a bed at a local rehab center ( this is a requirement of my OS as a precaution-- most patients go directly home), and gone shopping for some of the essentials ( nonfragrance soap, body wipes, hand lotion). Husband and I are going to start having morning chats about the schedule and make our lists. Oh, and let the cooking/freezing begin! Should I start a thread in the PreOp section?

Bone Smart Gang -- and you know who your are ( @LibraryLynn, @Legin , @copsham ) -- your kind words, comments, experiences mean the world to me. You are simply the best!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom