PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

@Fire wolf
I may have to try that! I live in Delaware but both my daughters live in Ohio. I have not been there since my surgery because it's too long to go without elevating even a little. Well, maybe at this point I could, but after my major set back in July I'm afraid to take the chance.

Thankfully there's Face Time. I had a lovely chat with my 8 year old granddaughter several days ago!
 
It worked bc my small SUV's seats were designed to convert into a *bed*, so to speak.
 
Oh, well that was nice!

I do wish car designers would realize that not everyone can bend their knee every time one is in the car. Trying to get into the car to come home from the hospital was a nightmare (32 hours after surgery) and getting in the car again the next day to go to PT was even worse.

And since being on Bonesmart I found out I really didn't have to go to PT at all, let alone 2 days after surgery! It SO will go differently if there's a next time.
 
Even if front seat doesn't lay entirely flat it will still work. I was able to do the same in my ex's vehicle. Since she was driving, she usually chose to use her vehicle. It was extremely comfortable in either vehicle, and because my legs are so long, me knee would hit the headrest area in just the right spot to give a little bend in knee once allowed to bend it ever so slighly.
 
Yes, I can see how that would give the bend we need. I may have to try it out in our car!

Oh, maybe there's a road trip in my future with a sweet little girl at the end! :happydance:
 
I'm so glad I noticed that car commercial today and posted about it! I never would have thought to try to sit in the back with my legs over the lowered front seat! Your idea is brilliant!:wowspring:

Our front seat does fold down forwards but I figured it would be too high. Never thought to do your idea. But will try it! Thank you!
 
Folds forwards or backwards? My reclined back so the top was touching the front of the rear seat so there was no gap to hop over. I was able to get in by way of the front passenger door and slide in and back.
 
Yes, mine reclines back like that.

It also folds down forward. But in that position it would be too high.

In my early days of PT I did ride in the back seat, sideways with my legs stretched out on the seat, but the seat slants a bit and I worried about my back issues sitting with my hips not level. It was also so early that I had trouble scooting across the seat so I was all the way in, so I had to use my arms to get me all the way in. It was probably one of the the reasons I developed acute tendinitis I in my shoulder in the second week after surgery. The final factor for the shoulder tendinitis was when I was gripping the table for dear life when the PT pushed my knee really painfully far, one week post op. :yikes:

That hurt more than the knee!
 
Ouch, for the shoulder! Maybe that's what's going on in my shoulder. I don't know what it is, but like you said, it hurt about as much as the knees!

I'll be traveling by car to Ohio in a few weeks, so will share how that works out. :)
 
@SusieShoes my kids are in Akron. My husband and I lived in the Cleveland area. Very pretty area, great Metro Parks.
 
My son and his family live just outside Cleveland. It's a really nice area! I love visiting them. Last time was just painful, though. I hobbled through a lovely farmer's market downtown and just kept wondering when we would leave so I could get off my knees. And the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was nice, but what I remember most is that it mercifully had lots of benches. :dubious:
 
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is well worth the visit. We thought it would take us a couple of hours but we were there 5+ hours. Fortunately I went before my knees had totally given out! I am not sure I could do it now or would make good use of those benches @SusieShoes
Lots of good restaurants in Cleveland too. Michael Symon's restaurants Lola and Lolita there....yum!
 
@Celle I've read in a few threads that people have had a surgical procedure prior to tkr that only ended up making the knee worse. I can't remember what it was. Do you know what it was? I'm not even sure how to ask the question.

The reason I ask is that my husband has been having some minor pain in the back of his knee/leg and on Saturday he was at a football game with friends and while walking back to the car the pain got so bad he had to stop and rest.

Since then he said it feels like a minor to moderate cramp in the back of the leg that won't let up, and the knee area is a bit swollen. He's not walking well. It hurts more when the leg is straight, better while sitting in the recliner with feet up.

I just want to know what that procedure was so that we can say no to it if we should. He has not had the knee pain that I had, but he does have achy knees. He's played a lot of basketball over the years and coached it at the high school level for 20 years. I don't know how much if a toll basketball would take on knees.
 
I had a meniscus repair in November, which led to worse pain, and had my tkr the following June. I didn't have the back of the knee pain like your husband does, though. I'm sure someone will come along to help.
 
@Polkadot While I'm sorry that any of us have that Pinocchio feeling, it is a relief to me that I'm not the only one. It's times like that that I fear something is not right with my partial. Such a nasty feeling. It must be a certain spot of inner swelling.
 
@Jockette - I think that what you are thinking of is an arthroscopy, where the surgeon removes some damaged cartilage, in the hopes that doing so will smooth things out inside the joint. What usually happens is that removing part of the cartilage just speeds up loss of the rest of the cartilage.

I think your husband will probably have other tests before it comes to having an arthroscopy - he should do anyway.

When I first started having pain in my right knee, I was only 49. That was back in the day when surgeons believed that was too young for a knee replacement.
I had two arthroscopies during the following 10 years. The first one was done "to see what's going on in there" and it didn't seem to affect my knee adversely at all.

The second arthroscopy was "to clean up some of the mess in there." I suspect that, as well as removing a couple of loose pieces, my surgeon did trim the cartilage, because my pain increased from that time.
I finally had a PKR (medial compartment) in 2000. That's the PKR that lasted for 11 years, before I wore out the spacer and had to have a revision to a TKR.
 
@Celle, yes, I think that was the procedure I was thinking of. Thank you!

I also wanted to know for myself in case they ever suggest they do that for me.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom