Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

@Jockette, you are finally making some very positive strides; woot! You're also not alone in using the cane on stairs; hah! I have a lot of steep stairs in my house and by evening, after we watch some TV, I have to go up them when I'm tired. The *tired* leg and bod need the cane for the trip up and I'm glad to have it. I do it foot- over-foot, but the cane gives me the extra *oomph* I need at night.

I can't say I go up and down stairs *normally* as yet, I just go up and down them, multiple times a day because I have to in a split-level house on a hill; pffft! I go down them very slowly with a lot of concentration on form, so as not to hurt anything. I can do it on most days, but on some days, if the knee is more swollen, I have to revert to backwards stairs down. That's ok, 'cuz it has to be. Going up the stairs is more challenging for me, but it's not because of my new knee. It's my old, natural knee, and weak hip/glute/back muscles. They complain, but Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine does not. So, I use the cane.....that's what it's made for. FWIW, I used a cane for all outdoor walking for 5 solid months after a THR. I kept in the car for a full year afterwards , "just in case." Right now, I use it on outdoor, woodsy trails or I'll bring it with me on a pavement walk if it's going to be a longer trek. I like to be prepared for anything, lol.

Like you and probably everyone else here, I'm really looking forward to the day when I don't notice my knee at all. It'll come, probably when we least expect it. :SUNsmile: I've had glimpses, a few hours here and there where I don't think about it, but I can't say as yet I've *forgotten* about it. I wish! So, I take a deep breath and remind myself that patience is a virtue. It is.....right?

Good days/Bad days, well...yes! Yesterday was cruddy for me, today is much better, why, I don't know! It's baffling isn't it? That said, I just enjoy the good (though not perfect) ones while they're here and try to ignore the crummier ones. Yesterday, I felt as though my knee was *stuck* on something. Probably absurd, but that's how it felt, accompanied by lots of clicking/clunking and other oddball sensations. Today, just one clunk so far; I'll take it.:yes!:

I define a Good Day as one that does not have much sense of swelling, very few clicks or clunks, a fair amount of freedom of movement, and of course, zero pain. I'd say my Good Days are about....:scratch:....I dunno, 60% of the time. A Bad Day for me is when I have any or all of those symptoms listed and a bad 'tude to match them; pffft!

I think it's fab that you are bowling again regardless of your present form. Who cares? It's good exercise and a great social outlet, so win/win! :spin:
 
I was talking with my sister today about this long recovery and others thinking you "should" be further along.

She broke her toe a while back and had swelling for months. The Dr gave her a medical type sandal to wear while it was healing. Well weeks later her coworkers wanted to know why she was still wearing it and when was the dr going to let her take it off. She told them it wasn't the dr making her still wear it, but she chose to because she was still too swollen to wear her shoe.

Does this sound familiar?

It also made me wonder if it's a family thing to heal slowly for my sister and I. Maybe not though.
 
People who haven't had injuries or surgeries of any magnitude simply don't understand. That includes some nurses, doctors, many physical therapists, one's best friend, one's mother, and often one's spouse. Thank goodness we have each other on BS!
 
Today is a new day. It's our bowling league day, so I'll be busy this afternoon. Like last week, when asked how I am, the answer is "Good!" with a smile. It worked well last week! (My problem is I'm usually too honest. If you ask how I am, I'm going to tell you.)

My husband and I bowl twice a week and we are doing short walks 3 times a week on non bowling days.
 
That's something it took your sister long to heal too. Could be a family thing. It's so good you and your sister can understand each other.

I haven't had people say anything directly to me, but I think some are wondering why I walk so slow, or use a big quad cane which helps me feel every stable. That's what I concentrate on... That I like and respect what I am doing for myself.

The neighborhood I live in is full of younger fitness crazed people and I walk up and down the driveway like a snail. Still. Who knows what they think! Maybe they think it's great I am out and trying!

I myself have a give people lots of compassion, patience and understanding which I've learned to do over the years. I certainly wasn't this way when I was younger.

I can tend to expect people to show that to me too and having that expectation just doesn't work!

It's important we build each other up with acceptance and encouragement and that sure happens on this site and I am grateful for that.

It's important we become our own best friend and advocate in this, and tell ourselves we are doing very well and even honor where our bodies are.

I am happy for your good days Jockette and I understand about the hard ones. You are doing great!!!
 
Well a friend lent me his floor peddler thingy and I tried it. It was difficult to do a rotation, but I managed one backwards. But it was painful to bend to get even that rotation. But the pain was more in the calf and in the back of the thigh just above the back of the knee. I did some rocking back and forth.

The peddler kept sliding on the carpet even though my husband was trying to hold it still. This was about 1:30 pm.

Not too long after my knee hurt like it did in the earlier days.

Now the back of my thigh hurts and I have a pain in my other leg, through the thigh, probably because the peddler kept moving away from me and I had to really reach my legs to use it.

I don't think I even used it for a whole minute.

Next time I try it I will put it against the wall so it can't move away from me. Maybe I should also try a higher chair.

I had a 2.5 hour nap with my leg elevated on my wedge from 2-4:30.

I am quite achy tonight. I am so frustrated that it hurts to do this little peddler.

Instead of dreading my check up in 3 weeks I am really interested in seeing the X-ray to see if all is where it should be.

And the last week or so I've made nice progress with the "throne slide" and those attempts didn't hurt.

Another dip in the rollercoaster.
 
Seems like several of us are struggling with pain and swelling today, myself included. Wonder if it's the moon, or the change of season (although it has been near or in 90°'s here for past several days), or maybe empathy swelling and pain at this point. :shrug: Whatever the cause, I hope that tomorrow is much better for you! :flwrysmile:
 
Years ago when I was going to Weight Watchers several of us had a gain on the same day, though we had followed the plan, so since it was a humid day we decided it was the humidity puffing us up. It puffs other things up, right?

My elevated pain/discomfort tonight seems directly related to that peddle thing, and I really think at 6 months I should be able to do a rotation without pain, either at the time or later on.

Actually now that I think about it, I was extra achy all day, even before I used the peddler. It's not raining here, and Maria is down by the outer banks and I'm in Delaware, but who knows. Maybe it's her influence.
 
That roller coaster!!
Hey, don't "should " on yourself! Maybe the peddler was am awkward position your body didn't like and reacted. That would be normal.
I was miserable today here in NJ. Yeah, no moon, or storms right here but maybe we are feeling something from Maria. Interesting thought. Or maybe Just body parts needing TLC.
 
When you're feeling up to it we have started a SuperSwellers and Stiffs thread in the social room - stop on in for a little 9 month party planning.
 
@kmak81230 Does it count if the swelling is not visible? It seems to be sneaky swelling, hiding inside. Outside it looks to all the world like a normal leg. It's such a liar!!!
 
I now have a better set up for the peddler, it's against a block of wood which touches the wall, so now it can't move, and my computer chair is now at its highest, and I can do rotations now!

I only did a few to start, but I did it!

Yay me!
 
@Fire wolf Where do you, and everyone else, get all those cute action smile-ies? I don't see them on my phone. Bummer, I want them, too!!!

Has Spence settled down and is he behaving?
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom