PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

@Jockette, for what it's worth, I had arthroscopies done in my rt knee in 1992, 1994, and 1998 due to tearing my lateral meniscus playing college basketball, and then intramural leagues after that. In some instances they trimmed some, other time they were able to repair. I played intramural basketball for 7 more years after 1998, along with doing cardio kickboxing with no ill effects.

In 2012 I had another arthroscopy done in same knee, and had actual tore the lateral meniscus when I went to kneel on the floor to change my niece's diaper! By then there wasn't much meniscus left, and just over a year later the put in Original Spence which was a cadaver meniscus attached to some bone from tibial plateau. They notched out my tibia to set it in like a Lego piece. I tore that 2 years later, but don't know how. That led me down the road to Bionic Spence.

I am not trying to tell you what you or husband should do, as those are decisions only you two can make in consultation with OS. Just letting you know that I had some success having them done.
 
Thanks, @Fire wolf, I appreciate your input.

It's just that here on Bonesmart people report what doctors/PT's do and Bonesmart says no, so I just wanted to know if it's something to avoid.

My daughter played college basketball 3 hours away from where we lived and where my husband was coaching high school. Those 4 years we were either one gym or another! My youngest son basically grew up in the gym! I even did the score book for my husband for a few years. Busy times back then!
 
What is the difference between active rom and passive rom?
 
Active = you do it using your own muscles
Passive = a machine or someone else (you included) makes it happen by pushing/pulling on the leg
 
Last edited:
Or to explain in more depth -
"active" means your muscles are active
"passive" means your muscles aren't doing the work
 
Thanks, @Josephine, that explanation helps me understand it better. Without your explanation I couldn't associate passive with getting help, which usually means being pushed too far by someone else.

Thanks everyone!
 
Grocery shopped for over an hour in Super Walmart today, and I was not desperate to sit down when I got home! It was a slow, easy walk. ( probably why it took an hour!)

And, my leg ( left ) was a bit more comfortable while I was driving. Up until today I've had a hard time finding a comfortable angle while driving without feeling a pulling sensation in the knee. Interesting that it doesn't happen if I'm the passenger.

So, progress!
 
So, I guess if I want to bowl in the afternoon I shouldn't grocery shop in the morning of the same day. (and I confess I also vacuumed 2 rooms in between).

Just trying to see what I can handle. While I can hardly keep my eyes open this evening, my body is mildly achy, but the knee is holding up pretty decently!

All in all I guess I'm just tired. While I don't think I will do this much in one day again for a while, I think I can cautiously call it a success.

This week's bowling scores:

Monday 93, 135, and 116
Today: 81, 96 and 104.

Thankfully we bowl for fun and everyone is encouraging!

I will take it easy tomorrow.
 
Only mildly sore this morning, so I fared well yesterday. I will take it easy today.

I feel encouraged.

@SusieShoes I guess @Mr. Gary and I exaggerated a bit, but it will take a lot for me to have my other knee done, and it's doing pretty well at the moment, though I had issues with it before surgery, but it was not as bad as the left. This recovery is difficult at best whatever the circumstances.

I do fear my partial, though, will force me to have it redone at some point. If something goes wrong with it, which seems likely somewhere down the line, I won't have a choice. I so wish I'd known more about partials before I agreed to it. It was implied I'd have a shorter, easier recovery and it was never mentioned that I could someday need further surgery on it. Shame on them for not giving me all the facts. However, not having any clue about the recovery I may, or probably, would have gone ahead with it anyway.

But knowledge is power, and if there's a next time I will manage my recovery differently, thanks to Bonesmart!:idea:

Thanks for all your support, encouragement and wise counsel!
 
that's great that you don't have any repercussions from your shopping trip and driving was more comfortable ~ and now i see you did some vacuuming as well. i don't know much about bowling scores but i think it's wonderful that you get out there and enjoy something you love. i agree, knowledge is power.:tennis:
 
@Jockette, you aren't the only one of us that had wished we'd had more information before 's' day. This site had helped me tremendously, but my OS told me nothing except that I'd probably hate him for at least 4-5 months afterwards. That's all. Even the presurgical class didn't prepare our group for what was ahead in the future. Pretty much they just stressed the PT! I already knew I wouldn't be doing that, so it was a waste of time for me to go to it, but it was required.

I knew this was going to be extremely painful the first month or so, so I was prepared for that. Those poor people that were told they'd be back to normal in a few weeks were done a terrible wrong. Truth is always best.
 
@liam2015 My bowling goal has always been to score at least 100.

But, alas, good or bad, every ball is a surprise!:rotfl:

And I do enjoy it. I play in our 55+ community's league. My husband and I are some of the youngest and in the community ( I am 61 and my husband is 66) so there are some in the league with some medical challenges, so the stress is low and the laughs are high. We have a great time together.

There is even a man we see there, not from our community and I don't know him, but he bowls while in his wheelchair. How awesome is that!
 
Bowlers are like golfers in that we love a sport others mock. My sons think that I bowl is hilarious. I don't know why. They haven't seen me do it since they were pre-teens. I haven't bowled in years, but there's a lanes nearby and I keep telling Mr. Shoes we should try it. :yes!:

I'm really glad I found BoneSmart pre-surgery. My OS may have called bilateral recovery intense, but he made it sound like I'd be up and grocery shopping, with cane, in three weeks. The energy drain, the painful travel by car for a few weeks, the degree of disability (shower bench, toilet rails, LOW TOILETS when away from home) weren't discussed at all. Pre-surgery class (run by the hospital) dealt with pain control ("Don't get addicted to opioids!!!" "Get off of opioids in two weeks!!! Take Tylenol and bite on a rolled up dishrag!!!" Well, not the last one...) and PT. How important PT was. How important to do ALL the exercises even if it hurt, especially if it hurt, because that meant you were breaking EVIL SCAR TISSUE! Yeah...

I am so happy I got good, genuine, information ahead of time. Saved me worlds of grief and pain.
 
I am so glad my hospital had no requirement to attend a pre-surgery class. Yours sounds like a nightmare Susie.
My surgeon told me about the procedure, the possible complications and what he expected. He also gave me a comprehensive booklet he had written. It gave both pre-op and post-op instructions, stressed the need for post-op ice and elevation, and warned against trying to rush recovery.
I found it very helpful.
 
I was required to attend a pre surgery class at my hospital also, but it only talked about the hospital experience.

I will say, my hospital experience was excellent, in fact it's been the best part of my recovery.
 
Ah yes, the pre-surgery class. I almost backed out after going to the class - first because I felt as though I was not in as bad a shape as the others facing TKR or THR who walked in limping so severely or with very deformed looking limbs. Then the scare about infection and dental antibiotics for the rest of my life, and the admonition to do the painful exercises multiple times a day, and the warnings about opioid addiction (expect to have lots of pain), and how to give ourselves the shots in the stomach . . . yada, yada, yada. Blech! I think I will be so much more relaxed with #2 - at least prior to surgery, if not after.
 
Last edited:
@kmak81230 Wow, I don't think I heard that stuff at my class! Glad I didn't!!!
 
And, I did a little sewing this afternoon and my knee was more comfortable sitting at the little table my machine sits on than it was the last time. I also have a different chair there, that has arms on it now, which made it easier to get up from it. Sewing at the machine involves a lot of " sit to stands" you sew a little get up to prepare the next part to sew, sit and sew, and repeat until you're done. I had a lot of trouble doing this before surgery. Hopefully when this knee is fully healed it will be a better experience.

Another inch of progress!
 
What a great afternoon! Fantastic that you can sit and sew now. Aren't new knee wonderful!
 
yes, every little gain adds up to a full recovery. i love your kitties. did you sew or knit their little sweaters? so adorable. :kitty:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom