Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Are you thinking of starting Jockette?
Right now I am seeking second opinions about my knee so I’m taking it easy. I have two possible issues going on, so I’m afraid to do any more than I have to until I find out what’s going on with my knee.

But I will definitely keep this in mind.
 
Isn’t walking fun?!! @KarriB. I’d love to be out there walking with you and look forward to it after my revision. I’m in the same boat as @Jockette settting up and going to appointments with revision specialists and with the support of Bone Smarties and reading positive outcomes like yours, I think I am finally turning the corner mentally from “poor me” to “I’ve got this!”


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well I’m praying about my left knee. I’m planning a trip to Scotland next June and am wondering if I should do my left before (fall) so I don’t have to worry about it giving up the ghost just before my trip. But it’s a huge decision for as my TKR recovery was far from normal. But if I do it in the fall I’ll hopefully be able to be walking a few miles by June.
 
But if I do it in the fall I’ll hopefully be able to be walking a few miles by June.
Well, as we’ve all learned, there are no guarantees. I never thought I’d be feeling like I do 15 months after a partial, after all the hype I read about it beforehand.
 
Most people, though (and that's really all we have to go on... finding some middle between excellent recoveries and not great ones) manage to walk quite well and far after six months. I think. Even my left knee, which lagged my most excellent right one, was up to miles of walking at six months, though it did swell a little and resolved its issues overnight. We never really know what kind of recovery we will get. :shrug:
 
I had my second opinion appointment today.

He looked at my most recent X-ray and said it’s not loose. (I thought that doesn’t always show up on an X-ray)

He put a shot of lidocaine in my knee and took me to the building’s stairwell and had me go up and down a few times to see if I felt any better. I did a little.

He said sometimes a person’s body just doesn’t like the implant. He thinks I have the opposite of anesthesia, he called it disathesia, where I feel everything instead of nothing. (I do have a weird nerve issue in my other foot)

He prescribed neurontin 300 mg, 3 times a day to see if that helps. Wouldn’t it be awesome if that’s all I need!

He did not have me make another appointment. I call the office Monday and let them know how I feel, between today’s shot and the neurontin.
 
@Jockette Happy to hear you got some good news. Nothing is loose and hopefully the treatment h prescribed helps. Please let us know.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Jockette, I really hope that your situation turns out to be just a matter of a medication adjustment rather than having to go through another surgery. We go into these procedures expecting everything to be right in the world afterwards so when they aren’t it is very frustrating.
 
@Hood1980 I am not convinced that my implant is not loose. Time will tell.

This dr rushed my appointment and didn’t want anything to do with my list of concerns. He said, just tell me. Well my mind went almost blank. He talked too fast and the appointment was done.

If it ends up that I do need a revision I don’t think I will “hire” this dr to do it.

Plus, it should have taken about an hour and 40 minutes to get there but traffic was awful and it took 2.5 hours. It took 3 hours to drive home. All that for 15 minutes with him.

I started the neurontin/gabapentin today. I do believe it will help, but not for all my symptoms.
 
So sorry Jockette! This process is so frustrating! I’m here for you if you want to vent! [emoji847]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
How are you doing Jockette? How is that bowling score coming along? Sewing? Any fun trips coming up this summer? How is your knee feeling?
My knee is about the same as it has been for the last months. I finally broke down and went for a second opinion. The details are just a couple of posts back.

Bowling is good, my scores are all over the place. About a month ago I bowled a 154! The game before that was a 92. :shrug: My son in law asked me what my secret was, I said “every ball is a surprise”. :rotfl:

My granddaughter was here in May and I helped her make 2 pillowcases. She was thrilled. The first one she finished went right on her pillow!

I am considering a trip in August to see my kids in Ohio but honestly I’m not sure my knee is up to it. But, my daughter’s landlord who lives next door is a knee surgeon who does revisions, so I guess I’d be in good hands if anything happened!

It was great hearing from you. I’ve been wondering how things were going for you.

Big hugs back to you!
 
@Celle I started the gabapentin 300 mg yesterday about 1:30 pm. I took a second dose at 9 pm. I took one this morning at 8:30 and will get all 3 doses in today.

I feel weird. My arms feel heavy and my head does, too. I felt it yesterday shortly after taking the first dose.

Is this normal and my body just has to adjust to this medication?
 
Last edited:
@Jockette, Can you look up the side effects? I've never taken it, so I have no idea. I know a friend of mine had her cat on it for arthritis pain, and the cat could hardly walk, so it might be a normal side effect you're having. Do you see any improvement with your knee? Is it worth the side effects?
 
Last edited:
@Celle I started the gabapentin 300 mg yesterday about 1:30 pm. I took a second dose at 9 pm. I took one this morning at 8:30 and will get all 3 doses in today.

I feel drugged. My arms feel heavy and my head does, too. I felt it yesterday shortly after taking the first dose.

Is this normal and my body just has to adjust to this medication?
I'm not sure, @Jockette .

My husband is on Gabapentin 300 mg three times a day and it makes him very sleepy. It has reduced his nerve pain, but I'm hoping he won't need to take it for very long.

He was told to start at 100 mg three times a day and increase it gradually to 300 mg. You need to cut it back gradually as well, when the time comes to stop taking it.
 
Ok. I thought this was a high dose to start with.

I did go bowling this afternoon, wondering how well I’d do, and I did ok. I felt more awake by the third game. Good scores, too, 100, 153, and 131.

I do know I have to wean off it.
 
I think the idea for my husband starting on a smaller dose was to see if the smaller doses worked for him and, if they didn't, to increase the dose.
He is currently taking 200 mg in the morning and 300 mg for the other two doses. That's because his nerve pain isn't bad at all in the mornings, but it gets worse as the day progresses.
 
Can you cut the pills in half? That might help with your grogginess feeling.
 
I think I’ll take it as prescribed. He must have thought it was a good dose.

My knee feels similar to my foot issue, when it comes to anything touching it. I don’t know why it started in my foot, but my knee issue is obviously from the surgery. It makes sense that it’s a nerve issue. I am very hopeful the gabapentin will help.

I don’t really expect the gabapentin to totally fix my knee, but I am confident it will help the touching issue.
 
I hope it does help you. Maybe once you get used to the meds you won't feel so tired. What a great bowling day you had! Did you notice any improvement in your knee?
 
In the first game I thought the knee felt better but at some point I bumped it against one of the chairs and it was mad at me. It bothered me the rest of the time.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom