PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Sorry [emoji52] you are having issues with the medication. I never took it but was prescribed it for some of the side effects I had with chemo. In my case the the nerve issues weren’t bad enough to warrant taking it. Praying that you feel better soon!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Josephine
I am still feeling “out of it” since starting the gabapentin on Sunday. I had 2 doses, 300 mg each, on Sunday, 3 yesterday and one this morning.

How long should it take for me to adjust to this and not feel this way. By “out if it” I mean my head feels heavy, my sinuses below my eyes feel swollen, I don’t really feel dizzy but close. Right now I’m having trouble focusing on reading and writing on here. Blurry vision is a side effect but it just now started.

I don’t think I have a regular sinus issue, this started when I started the gabapentin.
 
Last edited:
Medications sure can be tricky. :sad: Hope you adjust to it soon. Having brain fuzz and head clog is not any way to go through the day.
 
My knee is not any better either, but I don’t expect it to be this soon.
 
Last edited:
I was hoping your relief would be immediate. Those side effects stink. When is your next appointment?
 
I cancelled (postponed, really) the other appointment, it was for this Thursday the 21st.

I don’t want to confuse the information of two different surgeons and I want to give this first dictor’s plan a chance to work, and if it doesn’t, find out what his plan B is. I feel like I need some kind of conclusion before I ask someone else.

My reading vision is definitely blurry, even with my reading glasses on.

My personal opinion is that the dose was too high to start. I think I should have started lower and built up to 300mg.

I’ll give it another day and if the symptoms continue I’ll call the office on Thursday.
 
Last edited:
My personal opinion is that the dose was too high to start. I think I should have started lower and built up to 300mg.
Not at all. Gabapentin is tricky. First, it can take a while for the drug to take full effect and in the meantime, you may even need the dose increased a bit now and again. I was on 300mg 3 times a day and it was still a low dose.

As for the side effects, perhaps I should have told you before there are a few!
Commonly reported side effects of gabapentin include:
balance disturbance, poor coordination
dizziness
drowsiness
fatigue
fever

Other less common side effects include:
temporary blurred or double vision
tremor
irritability
dry mouth​
 
I took my third dose at 7 and don’t feel too bad, but sometimes it takes 2-3 hours for the “out of it” feeling to happen.
 
Question:

I just went up and down some steps off my deck. One side of the deck has 2 steps, the other has 3. I did them each twice: down and up one side, walk across the deck and down and up the other side. I took a break for about a minute and did both sets of steps again.

The first few steps were ok but by the time I did the last set there was pain in the knee. In the front center and on the medial side.

If my leg just needed strengthening, would I feel this pain in the knee? Or, would I be feeling pain in my thigh muscle that could use more strengthening.

Just as a reminder, I live in a one story house and rarely have to go up and down any steps, ever. So to be able to regain the ability, I have to seek them out.

If there is nothing wrong with my replacement, should it be this painful to go down steps at 15 months, considering how rare it is that I do them.

Going up is ok, just weird, and I think would become fine if I had steps in the house that I did every day.
 
i can't say but for comparison, i don't have any pain going up or down steps, but i've had to do it, one way or another, from the beginning since my laundry room is down 13 steps. i think it's good you're practising on your outdoor steps but maybe next time, stop after the first set and see how you are, and increase the sets gradually until you can do it without pain.

when i first started doing steps alternate feet, my thighs were incredibly weak, and it took some time before i gained strength in my thighs. i hope you continue to make progress.:flwrysmile:
 
@liam2015 When you started, did you have any pain in your knee? Did your thighs hurt? My thighs are not hurting, just my knee.

The reason I ask is, my daughter, who has never had a knee replacement, thinks I just have to strengthen my leg, and it might be normal for it to hurt to do that. She used the illustration of herself, but I told her she had been working a healthy, non operated on leg.

So I’m just asking questions to sort it out.
 
yes it did hurt at first, but it was more of a feeling of tightness, not necessarily pain. sorry i can't describe it properly. i still feel that little bit of tightness but it doesn't bother or restrict me in any way. i remember the first time i accidentally stepped down with my good knee and omg that really hurt as i had forgotten "down with the bad and up with the good". that happened early on and i was careful after that.

i can't say that my thighs hurt...they were just so incredibly weak, funny enough, especially my thigh on the unoperated leg. we also live on a ravine so when i go out back with the dog, (poop patrol) i have been walking up and down the hill multiple times a day. maybe that helped to get my strength back plus the walking up and down alternate feet. at first i had to hold onto the fence going up and down, especially going up as i had to propel myself using my arm, but i don't anymore. keep at it for as long as you feel it is safe and you're not injuring yourself in any way.
 
I did Wii bowling with my grandson yesterday and am so sore today! Lol! So I can see where you’d be sore. It takes a lot to come back from knee replacement!

How are you tolerating the meds today?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Maybe a bit better. This mornings dose affected me but the one this afternoon only a little.

No relief in my knee or foot yet.
 
What did you use for a bowling ball?
 
Wii bowling is a video game where you are virtual bowling...so no ball but a controller. My poor knees and hips haven’t done that much bending and working out in a long time. So out of shape!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom