Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I scheduled another second opinion. Now I have two, both this month. I’m surprised I got in so fast to both offices so soon, I thought it would be August.
 
Getting answers, any kind of answers, sooner is better, right? And it's summer, which is good. No one wants to drive for hours in the snow!
 
However, I do believe the Blue Route will be interesting coming home on a Friday afternoon, not to mention the early starters on their way to the shore when we get to Delaware! :yikes: I didn’t even think of that until hours after I made the appointment.

Oh well, we’re retired, we have the time! :bored:
 
Getting answers, any kind of answers, sooner is better, right?
I don’t expect to get a definitive answer at the first appointment. I think to confirm loosening some test will be involved. Unless it’s a maltracking issue, I guess that would be conclusive at the appointment. And, it could be both, I guess. If the implant is loose it could be messing up the tracking?

I am so frustrated and upset. I did what my surgeon said to do, I did what my PT said to do (both of which was bad advice, but not knowing any better, I was compliant) and when I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks I did what it said to do. (except I confess I did continue to let both of them push my knee to measure, everyone was happy with the high numbers they got, 128, supposedly at 10 weeks, and that was only once a week or less, but I did everything else Bonesmart said to do. )

And yet here I am. 15 months and hardly any better than I was months ago. Anything that was not in my best interest in those first 5-6 weeks should have resolved months ago.

So I guess whatever my issue is, it was going to happen sooner or later. It seems my knee never had a chance for success. I do not do any activities that would have loosened a correctly cemented implant, if that’s the problem.
 
Sometimes life hands us lemons. If we’re lucky, we never get a surgical lemon. They’re difficult to make into lemonade.

I had an abdominal surgery heal badly. Why? Mr. Shoes is convinced it was the surgeon. The wound specialist who finally got the wound to heal after many months said I was just unlucky and these things happen. My body rejected the sutures. Could the surgeon have known that would happen? Could I have done something different? Could the fact that the surgical stress kicked my body over into diabetes have done it? :shrug: We don’t always get answers.

But lemons. We can analyze the lemon to death and try to pry forth reasons for why it exists, but the fact remains we have to deal with the lemon.

You’ve done all you could. Most likely it was never something over which you had control. I really hope these revision surgeons can provide some insight. It takes a huge weight off your shoulders if you can find a cause or reason. If you know what the problem is, you have a shot at fixing it. My lemon got fixed. Chances are your lemon can be fixed, too. Think of all the members on this forum who kept looking for answers to their problems... and who found relief after trying again and again.

Looking for answers is the only way to find them, most times. :console2: You’re looking!
 
I saw a comment about massaging the incision on another thread and it reminded me how much I disliked doing that. My surgeon told me I should put vitamin e on it, so I did, until I found Bonesmart.

The reason I didn’t like doing it is because something seemed to move around underneath that I thought felt creepy! It also always felt very tender, almost painful to do.

For those if you who do massage your incision, do you feel anything move underneath?

Or is that more indicative that my knee has had a problem all along.
 
i don't massage my knee anymore (other than rubbing moisturizer on) but when i first started physio at 6 weeks post op, melissa, the physiotherapist massaged right over my knee and incision. it sort of hurt, but in a good way. i think she said she was moving the fluid upwards ~ sorry i can't remember what she said exactly. eventually i got used to the massage and i really enjoyed it. i didn't feel anything underneath.
 
I massage and oiled up my incision starting at 5 weeks. I was slightly tender in the beginnng, never uncomfortable or odd.
 
If massaging your incision feels good, do it by all means - as long as it is completely healed. However, it's not really necessary:
Massage post THR
 
@Celle I don’t massage my incision, I did put vitamin e cream on it the first month because my surgeon told me to. But I never liked how the knee felt when I did it, something seemed to jiggle around and it felt creepy. Then I learned on here that it was not necessary so I stopped.

The reason I brought it up today is that I got to thinking about how it felt back then, and now with the possibility that my implant might be loose, it made me wonder if it was loose even that far back.

My leg has always been uncomfortable in certain angles. I have an adjustable bed, but my leg is uncomfortable with the feet part elevated. But it likes my wedge. I could never get comfortable driving, my leg didn’t like the angle. And it’s my left leg, not my driving leg. Would a loose implant explain that kind of discomfort?

I often feel like something shifts in the knee, but I thought it must be normal. Not having done this before, I don’t know what should feel normal. My guess at this point is, not much has been normal.
 
That's OK. I just posted the article for the sake of others.
I only put a bit of moisturiser on my incisions when they were looking a bit dry.
 
Hi jockette...just catching up as so busy with work I don't seem to have time to remember to do anything i used to!!

I have knobbly bits around my knee that move ..Like hard balls. Not sure if that scar tissue.. they do hurt if I press on them and they are very weird when you see them move about.

I do hope you get some answers soon on your knee.
 
@Jockette Hello. I didn't realize your situation had changed. I knew we had similair recovery time and symptoms.

Well my first implant came aloose and yes, it's good to get a 2nd opinion because no one believed me when I said something wasn't right. I kept having pain in one area and when I would move my knee a certain way, I would have an intense sharp pain. It was the same spot and it didn't seem to get better. The second Dr had me take a bone scan, which confirmed it was loose. Just giving you an idea of how it felt for me.

Hopefully that's not the case for you and you are just going through a hurdle.
 
@MyTest I forgot that your implant came loose. I don’t have any sharp pain, just a pinching feeling when leaning forward. But, my implant is smaller than a total would be, I think, as mine is just the kneecap piece, so maybe that’s why my pain is just a pinch, or mine is not as loose as yours, if it is loose.

I really do think a loose implant explains a lot of the things I feel.


My husband asked if my implant is just floating around and I said, no, I don’t think there’s room for it to do that. But if it’s not securely attached, any little movement could cause discomfort.

Ironically, my bend is even better than ever this morning. It gives me hope (probably false) that my knee just needs more time to settle down. Wouldn’t it be awesome if that is true. :prayer:
 
It would be truly awesome if were only loose! [emoji1374][emoji1374][emoji1374]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I pray that time is all your knee needs! A good bend sounds great!
 
I started walking 10 minutes twice a day, adding 5 minutes a week to each walk. I had worked up to 45 minutes when the heat/humidity came and I just can't walk in the heat,
Hi Karri, I like your walking program. When you got up to 45 minutes, was that still twice a day or just once?
 
Walking is what our knees were created to do! Maybe that why it's so beneficial.
 
45 minutes was once a day, although I think I’d have to do it 2x to get 10,000 steps in. I do count my bike or elliptical for my steps as well.

When I started walking March 2017 I began walking 10-15 minutes twice a day every day and added 5 minutes a week. I set my phone for half the time and just turned around when my phone went off. After a month and half of that I began walking just once a day, again setting my phone for half the time so I’d get home! When I say I was out of shape, I was out of shape! By the fall of 2017 I was walking about 2 miles and no longer setting my phone for half way. Now I walk about 2.5 a day in 45-50 minutes. I’m not trying to set records, I do have a few easy hills but the majority is flat. Last week I ran into a neighbor (a block away from me) on my walk I hadn’t seen in a year. She asked how I was and I replied “great”. She said last time we talked I was pretty tired, I reminded her that had been over a year ago, I told her how much better I felt and how although I’m not an exercise guru walking has been good for me. I won’t walk in the rain or if it’s too hot and humid, though I do work up a sweat.

Are you thinking of starting Jockette?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom