Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I am sorry that you are going through this. My thoughts are that getting a second opinion does not mean they will tell you that surgery is the next or only option. He may just have the answers you need to get over this hump that has nothing to do with another procedure. I will pray for you also.
 
theory is the patella tracking medially (usually) will produce tension along the lateral retinaculum. Now the nerves are put under traction and start to experience myxoid (phlegm-like) degeneration. In an attempt to heal itself the body produces more neural drive and stimulation to that area thus creating a hyperinnervated structure and pain is produced.~~
Furthermore, these subjects presented with more hypersensitive fibers within the nerves.
This is from one of my posts on page 28. It’s from the article on Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome.

I think it’s the closest physical explanation of why I have that hunk of wood feeling.

Is this article written about patella mal tracking before, or after, replacement surgery? And would that make a difference if it’s before or after?

I ordered the knee brace and tape for sensitive skin. I actually ordered 2 braces, one for each knee. My other knee has issues, too, but has been quite happy this whole year since surgery, which surprises me. However, it’s mainly painful doing stairs. I thought I could try the brace on that knee if I have to do a lot of steps in the future.
 
If you are anything like me, those braces are extremely uncomfortable. I couldn't use them.

I sent you a PM.
 
I do wonder how comfortable they will be. I have always been opposed to braces in the past, but if they prevent another surgery then they are the lesser evil. I will return them if I don’t like them.

The reviews were good, they are smaller then some and are supposed to be lightweight.
 
They sound good. The best part is you can return them if you want to.
 
I did not have mal tracking issues before surgery. I’d never even heard of mal tracking issues! The fact that that is a possibility/probability now, means it is the result of the type of replacement I had. Which tells me it’s not going to get better with more time and healing. :boohoo:

In regards to your musing about patella mal-tracking before and after surgery, my husband had a major episode of it when he was a young man before I met him. He discovered the problem when he was walking the Appalachian Trail. Going downhill became agony for him. He had to stop his trip, for which he had prepared for over a year. His is evidently a hereditary issue--his dad and brother also had these problems, but his doctor just called it a "tricky knee" back then! Rest and avoiding steep downhill hiking helped his pain subside. He was given exercises for strengthening his thigh muscles, as he recalls--he thinks, particularly the insides of his thighs. This problem did not show up for him until he did the strenuous hiking, so this could be something to which your bone structures are prone. You may have never put your knee in a position to find out in the past.

My patella mal-tracking, which didn't bother me until after my TKR surgery, appears to also be a hereditary issue. I'm a bit knock-kneed, as is my sister, and when I complained about pain with patella movement, she said, "Oh, didn't you know? That's a family thing. I've had orthotics all my life because of it, and Aunt Dorothy...blah, blah, blah."

So time and healing may be on your side after all. My husband has had no issues with it most of the time, and my problems with it subsided with rest, ice, a bit of taping, PT, and time. I do also have orthotics, which help keep my gait and posture more correct, and I think this helps, too. Your idea to keep taping and to try a brace may help you get "over the hump" and on to a more comfortable life with this cranky knee. If not, your plan for an eventual second opinion is a good one. Regardless of how it came to be, you deserve to have it rectified one way or another.
 
I am so sorry @Jockette. The problem is that we are not told about the other-than-positive outcomes that can occur. We are told the risks of surgery but not the issues that can arise. I wish my Google search that I did prior to surgery would have led me to BoneSmart. The journeys of members of Bonesmart provide us with knowledge of issues and solutions. The surgeon does the surgery and, if the patient doesn't die on the table, he has done his job. It's all the issues after the surgery that make this journey so difficult. I would much rather have the knowledge than be in the dark about the possible issues. At least when something occurs after surgery, you wouldn't be so panicked.

Take care of yourself. I hope your issues resolve.
 
I wish my Google search that I did prior to surgery would have led me to BoneSmart.
I agree!

I was so confident in what I read about partials before surgery and fully trusted my surgeon to make the right decision for me. I knew almost nothing about knee replacement other than hearing people I knew say it was the best thing they ever did and should have done it sooner.

So if I read about some negative parts of recovery, ignorance is bliss and I probably dismissed it as, how bad could it be, after the glowing reports of partials.

Oh well, while some have a good experience with partials, I have not. How do I trust another opinion, when there are so many different opinions out there? How will I know which one is right? And, not all revisions turn out well, we’ve seen that here on Bonesmart.

I am disappointed, confused, uncertain, uncomfortable and very sad.
 
Last edited:
How do I trust another opinion, when there are so many different opinions out there? How will I know which one is right? And, not all revisions turn out well, we’ve seen that here on Bonesmart.

How can you not feel disappointed when you didn't get the outcome you thought you would? That doesn't mean you won't get a better outcome if you try again. Chances are you'll get a better one. Keep in mind that we see unhappy people on BoneSmart disproportionate to the percentage of happy vs. unhappy in the general population of TKRs. Most people find us or other internet resources when looking for answers to problems. People who are happy with their recoveries and TKRs go about their merry way and live their lives without ever visiting.

Right now you're tired because you have spent a lot of energy on this recovery. You've been helping others and sharing your journey. At some point, I think (and hope), you will be ready to find out what your options are for your knee. That will be the time to get a second, or third, opinion. Once you find out what's out there, you'll figure out what you need and want to do. :console2:
 
((((Jockette)))) :console2: I so wish I had a magic wand that I could wave and make you all well. You have every reason to be disappointed and hesitant about jumping into another opinion. Whatever you decide to do, I think you should try a different OS if that second opinion is your decision. From what you have said, he didn't try your tracking. Mine would put his hand on my knee, covering my kneecap, and then have me bend my knee. He could feel it mal-tracking. I wish yours had done this for you.

Are you feeling any better since you tried the tracking yesterday? Has your tape come in yet? When's your brace coming in?
 
You’re right, he did not try my tracking at all. He did look at my knee for a long time, at those 2 spots that are still a little swollen, acknowledged the swelling but didn’t come up with any suggestions or reasons. He seemed concerned but stumped.

I did forget to mention that my flex at my appointment was 122 fairly comfortable on my own, then with some effort 126 and a little more effort 128. All on my own. But none of them would have been comfortable for more than the time it took for the measurement, so I guess my comfort level is still somewhere in the 100-teens.

My knee settled down yesterday from testing the tracking myself. It was quite upset, like I told you, and I had put capris on to go bowling. Miss Drama Queen Knee didn’t like that addition either, so I changed into shorts as soon as I got to the bowling alley. Shortly after putting the shorts on it settled down. I stood the whole time I was there-3 games. The seats there are either too low or too high and are just very uncomfortable chairs for my back, so I usually don’t sit much. By evening it was not happy but better than it had been after testing the bend.

My bowling was pitiful. 98, 86, and finally 106. I like to at least score 100. I had a 142 a couple of weeks ago.

My tape and brace will be here sometime next week. My irritated skin is better but not ready for more tape yet anyway.
 
@Jockette I love that even though you feel so discouraged and sad you keep showing up for life. Bowling is a wonderful outlet for you and I’m glad you keep going. And you have helped so many of us here on bonesmart. My thought is to encourage you to keep us in the loop of your thought processes as you work through your plan of action. Sending a gentle cyber hug.
 
This is from one of my posts on page 28. It’s from the article on Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome.

I think it’s the closest physical explanation of why I have that hunk of wood feeling.

Is this article written about patella mal tracking before, or after, replacement surgery? And would that make a difference if it’s before or after?
@Jockette - before we can discuss the article from which you quoted, we really need a reference for it, such as a URL or a link.
 
You’re right, he did not try my tracking at all.
Did you tell him you thought your patella was maltracking, and how wearing the tape had helped?

How do I trust another opinion, when there are so many different opinions out there? How will I know which one is right? And, not all revisions turn out well, we’ve seen that here on Bonesmart.
If you want an opinion you can trust, you need to see a surgeon who specialises in fixing difficult knees. These surgeons see knee problems every working day.

Most revisions do work. The impression you get from BoneSmart can be skewed, because many people have successful outcomes and never come to BoneSmart.

I'm sorry you're feeling so down right now - I would be too. Hugs to you! ((((((((((Jockette))))))))))
 
@Celle Here is the article I read from the Bonesmart Library-
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/patello-femoral-pain-syndrome-pfps-fat-pad-impingement.8855/

The part I quoted was down the page a bit under the photos of the patellas.

He did read my list of concerns, and the first concern at the top of the page was my discomfort when leaning forward, and I described the tasks I do that I have to lean forward with. At the end of that list I wrote “ kneecap tracking issue? Kinesio taped helped.”

Then, as he was looking at my (slightly) swollen spots we also discussed the marks the tape left and he concluded that if the tape helped then it was worth it to continue. I don’t remember now if the actual term mal tracking came up. But the fact that the tape helped the leaning forward issue was discussed.

I don’t remember him having me bend my knee while he touched it, as if he was checking the tracking.

He did something else that I didn’t understand and now I wish I had asked what he was looking for. I was sitting in a chair in the exam room and while we were discussing things he was holding my leg straight out from me, at the height of the seat. He didn’t have a solid hold on my foot but was holding it up by the bottom of my foot near the ball of the foot, not the heel. He held it for a couple of minutes and my thigh was beginning to quiver a bit, as some of my muscle, or whatever, was involved in holding it up. He commented that there was a steady pulse beat and said at some point that my calf was strong. I didn’t think to ask what he was doing, I was concentrating on keeping my leg up and wishing he’d let it go. He was also talking while doing this. Have you ever heard of that?

About a second opinion, will any surgeon who does revisions do? Some do both revisions and original TKRs.
Or to I need a more specialized surgeon who only does revisions, maybe even one experienced in converting a PFR to TKR?

I have the information on @SusieShoes surgeon, he’s about an hour and a half from me. His practice’s website says he does revisions, but he did Susie’s TKR, so he also does originals.
 
About a second opinion, will any surgeon who does revisions do? Some do both revisions and original TKRs. Or to I need a more specialized surgeon who only does revisions, maybe even one experienced in converting a PFR to TKR?

You should see if anyone here, like @Jamie, knows of a revision specialist in the Mid-Atlantic area. Someone who specializes in problem knees is your best bet for a revision. My surgeon has tons of experience, and I know he does revisions, but I have no idea if he does a lot of partial to total revisions. I have no trouble recommending him, though I’m not sure how much my opinion is worth.
 
A surgeon who does both primaries and revisions will be OK. When checking, ask how many revisions he/she does in a year. Obviously, those who do more revisions will be more skilled at doing them.

You can phone other OS rooms as well and ask who the surgeon would refer a patient to, if he/she felt a problem was puzzling him/her.

My own doctor was on the hospital Board of Directors when I needed a revision, so he knew the reputation of all the surgeons. I asked him"Who is the best?" He replied "Julian Stoddart - all the other orthopaedic surgeons refer their problems to him." And Julian turned out to be an excellent choice. I had no problems at all with my revision, nor with the subsequent TKR on my other knee.
 
One other question. Could a chiropractor help with a mal tracking issue? I go to one that I like.

Maybe not a permanent fix, but some improvement? To tide me over for a while?

I have no trouble recommending him, though I’m not sure how much my opinion is worth.
Your opinion is worth a lot to me!
 
It depends what your chiropractor is prepared to do. Some of them will only work on your back.

I have heard of a PT working to strengthen one of the muscles that moves the patella, to help the patella track straighter. @Pumpkln might be able to advise you about that.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom