Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

My chiropractor does my whole body. She did some release move behind my knee a couple of times a while back, since the surgery. The first time she did it it was amazing how it gave me freer movement.

I wouldn’t mind trying an exercise at home but I don’t want to go to a PT. I don’t trust them anymore.

And, would an exercise or a chiropractor help if it is the fault of the implant and not a physical cause?
 
Well, it might help if you knew that the muscles that pull your patella are pulling equally on each side of it.
 
Ok, thanks. I will ask my chiropractor about it.
 
Good idea. I'm glad your chiropractor does your whole body. So does mine and he is a great help.
 
My favorite chiropractor is 400 miles away since we moved a few years ago. I miss her so much! I would totally trust her with my knee and I know she would have done a very good massage on my whole leg last summer when it was so tight. She used to tape my back and I know she’d tape my knee.

My current one doesn’t know anything about taping, but she was good at that release technique that Josephine talked about.
 
@Jockette you are not far from one of the top hospitals in the country, Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. My personal experience with Hopkins was excellent. I would not hesitate getting a second or third opinion. You can just listen and make your decision from there.

I have said it before, I don't understand why we are not told how long this journey can be and the issues that can arise. It is frustrating.
 
And, would an exercise or a chiropractor help if it is the fault of the implant and not a physical cause?
Mal tracking of the patella isn't caused by any problem with the implant. Balancing the ligaments in the knee is very tricky and an improper balance is usually the issue with this problem. Sometimes things can improve with time and some strengthening when you are healed enough to start that type of exercise. But you probably are going to need to at least talk with a revision specialist who understands this type of post surgery problem.
 
Let me know when you're ready to talk with someone and we'll find you some good surgeons to see. I know this seems overwhelming right now, but things will settle and you'll see a clear path ahead. There are things that can be done and you don't have to settle for your current situation. Sadly, there is the potential for this type of issue with a partial knee replacement and it's what drives folks on to have a full replacement done. But the good news is that getting the full knee replacement usually takes care of the problem if you work with a skilled revision surgeon. They are very used to seeing these problems and fixing them.
 
So yesterday, while again feeling very sorry for mysejf, my ever supportful and encouraging husband asked me what things in the future would make me feel I had completed recovered.

So we set some goals.

I know not to set a rom number or a time or date as a goal, so we focused on accomplishments.

I cannot do any of these things yet:

1. To be able to bend well enough to get in and out of the car without needing the door wide open. ( sometimes in parking lots cars are too close together to do this )

2. Up and down stairs normally.

3. Go through the day without thinking about the knee.

4. Sit comfortably in a restaurant without having to prop my foot up on my cane.

5. Bowl like I used to, being able to approach the throw line like I used to, instead of the way I currently just carry the balk to the line and throw it without bending the PKR knee. --This one must be the most important to me because I cried when I said it, and am now as I type it.

Instead of enjoying the fact that I can even bowl at all, I feel embarrassed that I look like I don't know what I'm doing. However, my scores are improving as I get used to my current throw. And when I am there with my league friends I do have a good time.

I even found an article online about the 10 health benefits of bowling. I was surprised to learn that if you bowl 3 games, which we do, you walk a little more than half a mile. Who knew!
Thank you, @yesyvonne for reminding me about this post.
I am one year post op, this week, and have accomplished some of these:

1. I can get in and out of the car without needing the door wide open, and can even do it in somewhat close quarters!

2. Stairs. Not yet, and maybe not ever. It is a rare occasion that I ever have to do stairs. If I wanted to practice some I’d have to figure out where to go, then go there regularly, and even continue that to maintain it, since I almost never have stairs to do. Not worth all that effort of leaving home to accomplish that.

3. I have no idea when I might go through a day without my knee clearly letting me know it’s there.

4. Yes, I can comfortably sit in a restaurant without using my cane for a footstool

5. Bowling! I have accepted my new-since-surgery approach as my new normal and I’m fine with that. I may never go back to the approach I used to use. My scores are consistently lower than before surgery. My ball speed is way slower than before and my husband says that’s because I’m not doing my pre surgery approach which would use more of my body and momentum as I throw the ball. Right now I carry the ball to the line and throw it, bending at the waist.

I’m just happy I can bowl! While I like better scores, I don’t get upset if they are low. It’s still fun with my friends and good movement for my body.

Oh, and note to self, don’t ever throw the ball again with my left hand! :rotfl:
I am right handed but bowled so badly on Wednesday that one friend suggested using my left hand. He was kidding but I tried it anyway. The ball hit the gutter not even halfway down the lane, I couldn’t even get my hand in the right position to throw it, and shortly after my left arm hurt. Dumb, dumb, dumb! :doh: I won’t do that again! Thankful the arm settled down quickly.

So in spite of my disappointment there are improvements. But they are improvements since the surgery. I don’t consider I have any improvements from before surgery. The arthritis pain is not there like it was, but it has been traded for more constant and worse discomfort, so it’s not an improvement.
 
Last edited:
@SusieShoes You mentioned this on another thread:

“but the dermatologist I saw told me he thought it was an auto-immune reaction courtesy of... a stressed immune system post-surgery.“

And @mlwreader had a similar experience.

I think I probably did, too. Some months after surgery the tops of all my toes got a very rough, almost a leathery and pebbly texture and were a much darker tan than the rest of my feet. It lasted for months then began to come off, I was able to kind of scrub it off gradually and when I did it revealed pink new skin. My toes look normal now.

Very interesting!
 
Our bodies do some strange things following this surgery! Another thing that happened to me was that the hair on my lower legs, both of them, became coarser, darker, and more abundant. :shocked: It was bizarre. I've never had prickly leg hair before. Mine is usually very fine, sparse, and blonde. Mr. Shoes and the Big Italian Family teased that I was becoming one of them. :rotfl: My leg hair returned to normal sometime in the last few months. It's downy, sparse and blonde again.

Just goes to show, though, that you never really quite know what to expect in recovery!
 
Thankfully that was one side effect I didn’t get!!! :spin:
 
Both of my feet peeled, and not just a little bit, either. They were gross!
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

If you are a chocolate lover, this will perk up any depressing recovery day!!!
:roseshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Doing pretty well. I was just thinking, if it stayed at this current comfort/discomfort level, and didn’t react to pants the way it has, I could live with this.

I say this because

Something has changed with my knee. I am cautiously optimistic.

I asked the God if He’d put my patella where it should be. I believe that God answers prayer in one of three ways; yes, no, and wait.

While putting the cortisone on my skin where the kinesio tape irritated it recently I also rubbed it over the whole knee and I figured it wouldn’t hurt to do the incision. As I gently rubbed over the kneecap I just kind of moved my hand over it back and forth and circular. I could feel the kneecap moving , which always gives me a creepy feeling, which is why I usually don’t do this.

Well, the last couple of days the knee feels different. “The Spot” on the lower lateral has not bothered me when I do the movements that irritate it. I also haven’t felt it when I walk.

It actually feels like that hunk of wood has moved over in the front center of the knee. I had some minor soreness there and a little on the medial side (where I’ve never had any discomfort) on Saturday, but not since. I wonder if the new spot irritated some tissue that had to adjust. In spite of that, and even feeling like something is right in front of the knee, it’s more comfortable and seems a bit freer.

I think our prayers are working!
 
I will be wearing capris this afternoon, so I’ll see how that feels. Wouldn’t it be awesome if my knee does not react like usual!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom