PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I think he will this time. I didn’t make much issue at the 7 month check up. I was still not close to the full year of healing, so I was being patient and hopeful.

I’m at that Year now. It’s time to make sure he knows all my concerns and that I’m disappointed with my outcome.

Back when I saw him in October, it hadn’t gotten cold yet, so I didn’t have that extreme sensitivity to pants yet, and the leaning forward issue was milder back then. ( I remember Celle telling me she had it for a while early on)

I’m looking forward to what Josephine has to say.
 
Josephine will be away for a little while. I'll @Jamie for you.
 
It's okay - my away day was cancelled!

Jockette, you may be onto something here. However, you will have noted in that article that the author said PFPS was an 'umbrella' term and poorly recognised. One thought - have you ever tried McConnel taping or Kinesio taping? You would need to find a PT practised in the technique to get best results. Unless you've already tried it, I suggest you give it a go and see what happens.
 
@Josephine You’re sending me back to those scary PTs ? :yikes:

The ones I saw early in recovery were not Bonesmart approved. And after the many posts I’ve read on here since joining, I don’t know how I will trust any to treat my knee.

And won’t they also want me to do exercises after taping me? I know how you feel about most exercises they want us to do.

Also, the way my knee freaks out when I wear pants I can’t imagine it tolerating being taped. Back in December I put on a pair of knee high stockings. I had an immediate feeling of sharp spikes being driven into the knee all around it. And the knee highs never actually touched the knee. I took them off right away and it took 15 minutes for my knee to settle down.

My current chiropractor doesn’t know anything about taping. My favorite chiropractor who used to tape my back, who I would definitely trust, is 400 miles away.

I do have some kinesio tape. Do you think I could watch a video and attempt it myself?

Do you have a magic wand, instead?
:beg:
But then, I guess if you did, you’d be a very rich woman!
 
Last edited:
Hi Jockette, I also had a PKR done the end of Oct. 2017. I have used KT tape and did it myself. I went to You Tube and searched for videos of taping knees after replacement. This did and still does help me. I never taped over the incision. Hope this helps! Craig
 
Hi, @RGRG How often do you have to tape your knee? Why did you decide to tape it?
 
The tape will stay on for several days if you want it that long. No problem with it staying on if you shower or bath. I had real trouble with my upper patellar tendon as well as pain on the inner portion of my knee. I also taped for quad pain. All seemed to help, especially if I knew is was going to be active. It also helped with my ROM. Good luck! Craig
 
@Jockette when I went for an OS check up at 7 months post-op, I wrote a brief cover letter, attached a detailed accounting of where I had pain, the activities I was doing, and I listed questions. Then, I printed out a color anatomical picture of the legs and highlighted where I had pain and assigned a pain level number to each place from the chart they give you before surgery.

Alongside that, I indicated WHEN that pain occurred (when walking, when standing, when sitting, etc.). I scanned that highlighted picture back into the computer and attached it to my cover letter along with my complaints and questions. I called the OS office a week before my appointment and told them I wanted to email the whole package to the OS. At first the secretary resisted saying they didn't have paper charts or any way to put it in my electronic file. I was quietly insistent and they let me send it in as an email attachment. I printed the whole thing out as well and took it with me so I could refer to it and not forget anything.

When I had my appointment, wonder of wonders, the OS had read it and had a copy in his hand when he walked in. My cover letter explained that I knew I would have limited time with him and I wanted to maximize what we could get done in that time.

Now, did I get huge results? No, because he thinks all my troubles are thyroid related, but I left feeling good that he had listened and appreciated what I had sent him.

I would definitely encourage you to do something similar just so if you get upset you have the print out to refer to. Hope your appointment goes well. I will be a year post op next week, but the one year evaluation will be in early April.
 
@phrog Wow, that was quite the undertaking! I was planning to print out 2 copies of my 11 month update. I added more details to it when I quoted it yesterday. One for me to read from and one for them to keep. I live really close to my surgeon’s office, I could drop it off.

My 6 week check up was on a Monday. The Friday before, my PT went through a bunch of accomplishments in a check list. He was pleased with all I could do. He said he would send a full report to my surgeon. At my appointment my surgeon asked how PT was going. I told him a report had been sent. But the surgeon hadn’t read it. He said, just tell me. I was so mad. I’m paying how much here and he couldn’t take the interest and time to read how I was doing. I wonder if he ever did read it. He does surgery on Monday mornings, post op appointments Monday afternoons, so I guess he honestly hadn’t had time to read it, but still.

So maybe if I drop it off a week or more ahead of time he might.

Thanks for the suggestion!
 
And won’t they also want me to do exercises after taping me?
No, I don't think so. Neither before nor after.
Also, the way my knee freaks out when I wear pants I can’t imagine it tolerating being taped.
Yes but your pants are loose on your leg so there is friction. This tape will be adherent to your skin so it will move when and as your leg moves. I think you will find it soothing and comforting.
My current chiropractor doesn’t know anything about taping.
Well he wouldn't! You wouldn't expect your pharmacist to know anything about dentistry, now would you? :wink:
Do you think I could watch a video and attempt it myself?
Of course! It's always worth a try.
How often do you have to tape your knee?
As often as you like. It's good to leave it on a few days each time though.


Do you have a magic wand, instead? But then, I guess if you did, you’d be a very rich woman!
Wouldn't that be something!
 
I guess he honestly hadn’t had time to read it,

He could have read it right there. The reports aren’t long. Of course, most OS are going to put the most weight on their own assessment. Mine checked out my knees, flexion and extension, then read the report, and asked me what I wanted to do. I said no more PT. He said fine. And that was that. I don’t think he really cared what the report said because it merely supported his own findings.

I really like @phrog’s thorough approach, complete with visual aids. :ok:
 
@RGRG I don’t have any of the issues you had which led you to taping your knee.

My issue is only when I lean forward, every time. I feel it just below the knee on the lateral side. It feels like someone jammed a hunk of wood into my leg at that spot.

That spot has been my “ sore spot” from day 1. Any time I had an issue with the knee, it settled in that spot.

Have you ever felt a weird discomfort leaning forward?
 
@Josephine I taped my knee about 35 minutes ago and so far so good! My knee has accepted it, as in it did not freak out like it does with pants, and right after I taped it I loaded the dishwasher and hand washed what was left and did not feel that hard lump in my knee feeling like I usually get while doing activities that require me to lean forward.

I did not manipulate the kneecap :scaredycat:
just picked a you-tube video of taping a mal tracking patella and did it the way he showed.

Since putting it on I do have some minor pains in the front/center of my thigh, just above the knee, that were not there before. I did not stretch the tape, just applied it with my knee bent. (so when I straighten the leg the tape is wrinkly, which looks really dumb!:flabber: )

I will keep you posted.
 
If it helps:

1. Does this mean there is indeed a patella problem?

2. Will I have to continually tape it? (I never had to tape it before this surgery)

And by the way, my tape is shocking pink!
 
That pink just makes you look more girly!
 
I do love pink!!!:loveshwr:

The first time I ever had kinesio tape was when my previous chiropractor taped my back and it was bright pink!

She was such a fun chiropractor, once she posted on Facebook that she needed to order more tape and gave us color choices to vote for! I miss her so much. When I moved from Ohio to Delaware, she was the hardest one to leave.

I know she would be a big help to me in this recovery, I know she would gently massage my leg and I would trust her totally. My current chiropractor does not massage or tape.
 
Just checking in again, Jockette! You've got some proactive things going on. Good for you! BTW, when I got the taping, the PT did stretch it a bit.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom