PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

It is sunny and 74 degrees in Rehoboth Beach, DE today. I took a lovely walk on the boardwalk. Lots of people here today and lots of happy dogs!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
    59110F34-D5F3-4742-B406-097AE8BAE9C8.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 211
How does your knee feel after that nice walk? I know the sun did you some good! It's sunny and 76 here. We broke a record again. Crazy weather. In Jan. we broke the cold record and now if Feb. we break the warm record. Yoyoing like crazy! No wonder people get sick.
 
I’m not walking as fast as I was this morning, it’s a little sore.

On our way home now. We’d love some ice cream but our favorite shop in Lewes is still closed for the season.
 
Bummer on the closed shop. That's half the joy of walking on the beach! Have you noticed any swelling on your knee or is it just sore? I think that'd be normal for the extra walking you've done, but I wouldn't think a lot of swelling would be. You know what to do when you get home! Oh, stop and get some store bought ice cream, too!
 
Just sore. It hasn’t been elevated since 11:45 am. These days unless I’m in bed elevating means sitting in my spot/nest with my feet on my ottoman. That is when my knee is happiest. I have a chair in my bedroom with coordinating ottoman and my knee is not as happy with the angle on that set up.

I didn’t walk any more today than I would have if I’d gone to Walmart.
 
Last edited:
Can you elevate on your ottoman? I never could use an ottoman, it hurt the back of my knee too much. I used the wedge on the foot of my recliner. That kept the swelling down. Do you swell still?
 
Other than the general slight tight band/inner swelling I don’t get any visible swelling. My leg is very happy on my ottoman. It’s just a little lower than the couch. That’s where I am now.

I did think of ice cream from a store. :heehee:

I even got to pop in one of the outlet stores, and a visit to a quilt shop in Lewes. A lovely day out in the middle of winter! Shorts and sleeveless top!

My daughter in Akron texted me not to get too comfy, it’s dropped 27 degrees there today and still falling. Going down to 33 tonight with aWinter Advisory in Akron.
:snow plough:

Glad I moved to Delaware!
 
Last edited:
Oh, you went to the shore! Don’t you just love boardwalks? We (the Big Italian Family) are looking at renting a shore home for a week this summer, probably in New Jersey, though Delaware is a possibility. Nothing quite like those long walks on the boardwalk, and biking, and hearing the ocean, not to mention all the great food.

Funny how our knees like certain angles and get grumpy about others. We get to learn which ones work best. My knees are happiest up on my ottoman, too. It’s exactly sofa height, so straight out. But as time goes on, I’m doing without it more and more. Just sitting normally and crossing my legs works just as well. It takes time, is all.

Your patella-leaning forward thing, whatever the cause proves to be, mystifies me. I hope you can get that resolved!
 
regarding your foot issue, I remember years ago... I had the Morten’s Neuroma surgically removed. It was affecting a nerve. Glad to see you're getting some sunshine, sand and enjoyment!
 
@SusieShoes I grew up on Long Island, so Jones Beach was the go-to beach. I married a boy from south Jersey, so for many years Ocean City, NJ was the go-to beach. Friends of ours have a beach house in Fenwick Island, DE so the Delaware shore became to go-to beach,We now live about an hour from Rehoboth so it’s a quick jaunt down there when we’re in the mood.

I still like the boardwalk in Ocean City NJ (though I haven’t been there in years) the best, then Ocean City, MD (next door to Fenwick Island) The Rehoboth boardwalk is the smallest of the 3. It’s fun shops are the few blocks before you get to the boardwalk. We ate in a little place called Robinhood.

@jaschembra Did your surgery for the Morten’s Neuroma fix the problem? My foot quickly surpassed the symptoms of that which is why no one knows what to do with it. Surgery for mine has never been mentioned nor would I agree to it with so much uncertainty involved.
 
Hi, Jockette, So sorry to hear of your continuing woes with pain when leaning forward, etc. I wish I had a magic wand to wave over you. In the meantime, I vote for ice cream. The ice cream in Lewes IS probably the best, but store-bought has some curative powers as well. I've done a bit of research on that. :loll:
 
Yes it did. I remember it feeling like a pebble too. It was a long time ago. I have had a total of 5 surgeries on my feet (1 was non invasive). I still have an issue with my left big toe joint and I can never ever go barefoot. So as I say, I wave “high maintenance feet” lol.
 
Hi, Jockette. Glad you got a walk in the sunshine. Just wish you didn't have the soreness, though I always think getting out, especially in a sunny place, is worth a little soreness. @mlwreader is right - we are cupcakes out here in California. Overnight lows have been around 28-32, the thermometer says brrrr!! Funny you should mention Jones Beach. My daughter lives in in Baldwin, a block from Oceanside, so I know just where that is. They had some incredible warm weather this week, but the cold is moving in now. Warm is so much better for our knees, isn't it? Sampling some ice cream and your leg up on you ottoman sound like a good treatment plan to me.
 
@phrog I know where both Baldwin and Oceanside are, my dad grew up in Oceanside! Small world, isn’t it!
 
@Josephine
11 months update,

here are my concerns:

My bend continues to improve, but...

Discomfort after leaning forward (below and to the left of the knee):
D LF4
When I do the following:
Loading/unloading Dishwasher
Washing dishes
Brushing teeth
Making bed
Etc.
It also gets this same feeling when I turn or reach sideways. It’s almost always there when I am working in the kitchen as I’m frequently turning, reaching, bending, etc.

Also a pinching feeling inside the knee when I lean forward.

Sitting with feet on floor still somewhat uncomfortable.

Difficult to find a comfortable angle for my knee when driving. I’m more comfortable in the passenger seat where I can stretch my leg out better.

Very Sensitive to pants-not the incision, all inside the knee. It feels like a huge hard lump inside.

Very sensitive to water, it felt huge in the pool last summer and still feels big and stiff in the shower.

In December I put a pair of knee-high stockings on and immediately it felt like sharp spikes driving into the knee. They were new and slightly tighter than my old ones. And they didn’t even actually touch the knee!

Sensitive to cold weather-it aches when I am outside in temperatures in the 40s and lower. The lower the temperature the more it aches and feels large inside and wooden.

Certain movements, like putting my leg up on an ottoman, or putting pants on, I feel a bit of pain, like my upper thigh bone is pushing into the pelvis, on the inside part of the thigh, not the outside. I guess I need a hip picture graph to show the location.

Can’t bend well while laying down, it’s better when sitting.

I can’t lay on my side for more than a couple of minutes, if that.

To be honest I hesitate to tell my surgeon about these concerns. When I saw him back in October at 7 months he told me to put aspercreme on my knee. ( ?! ). If the X-ray looks fine I think he will just give me what I call “bandaid advice”.

And maybe that’s all I need because all these things will sort themselves out if given lots more time.

@Josephine I recently reread the article about PFPS, and wondered about the part about the patella maltracking. Does anything in my update sound like my patella could be doing that?

I see my surgeon in a couple of weeks for my one year check up. I will show him this list, but is there anything else I should ask him about?

I am so disappointed in this replacement experience. The pain I had before surgery was only at times of cause and effect. The surgery traded that for almost constant discomfort and more limitations than before surgery. If I could have my old knee back I’d take it in a heartbeat.

I trusted my surgeon’s recommendation of the Patellofemoral and thought I read enough about partials. I have since realized everything I read was on Orthopedic sites promoting the procedure.

Thank you for your thoughts. I certainly trust you more than I do my surgeon.
 
I wish there was something I could tell you to do to get rid of your discomfort. If I were you, I'd tell your OS everything you just wrote for us. Copy it, and print it off. Read it to him. He needs to know what's going on and if he's just callous about it, erase him from your being your care provider and see someone else about your problems with your new knee.
 
I do plan to take the list with me. I hadn’t thought of an extra copy for him to keep, that’s a good idea.

I do cry easily, so hopefully that will happen, too, it can’t hurt.

He is not a callous person, he is very personable and I really did like him a lot before surgery and up until I found Bonesmart and compared his recovery advice to Bonesmart’s.

My husband, who is very anti smart phones, told me I should have my questions on paper, not just on my phone!:rotfl:
 
He seemed callous about responding to your concerns, not his personally. I think he really needs to listen to you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom