PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

@Jockette I was thinking of you today because I was trying on all my slacks, jeans and capris in my closet so I can see what fits and what doesn't in terms of packing for my move. Let me just say that I am exhausted and my knees are not happy with me. And I can't fit into any of my size 12's. So there's that. :)

I'm sorry you are still so uncomfortable. Do you have a GP or PCP you can talk to about it? They might know what kind of specialist might be able to help. My experience with my OS and my skin issues was that they were more than happy to have me go to a dermatologist to get my issues handled by someone who knew what they were talking about. I don't think you are the only person ever to feel this sensation. Don't let the OS be the only source of help for you. I'm not saying it very elegantly, but I think they try their best to help us, but they lose interest when their help doesn't help. I wonder if something like Lyrica might help you. I think you should talk to your PCP about this issue, and not your OS. Just my 2 cents.

Here's hoping for a good tomorrow. Hugs.
 
@Jockete, I don't know is this will help you or not. I told my nurse that my knee was really sensitive and didn't want anything to touch it. She reminded my that the nerves around my incision were still waking up and I wonder how many were cut during surgery. She suggested massaging the skin beside the incision. Just rubbing the area on both sides. I've been doing it every time I am elevating. It wasn't pleasant at first but now seems to be helping reduce the sensitivity. I'm going to keep doing it. Maybe it would be worth a try?
 
I’d like to tell you all these things will sort out in time. That’s often the case, and there are plenty of members who can tell you that’s what happened with them. So there’s that.

However, some of the things you describe, well... they’re not the usual things people are unhappy about. I have no idea why putting pants on would make your knee feel as it does. Or why leaning forward would be so distinctly uncomfortable for you.

Are you considering getting a second opinion? Because if your surgeon doesn’t look into this, I think you should find someone who will. X-rays don’t show everything.

Maybe in the long run it will all sort out. But if your gut is telling you something, listen.
 
She suggested massaging the skin beside the incision. Just rubbing the area on both sides.

@Jockette I regularly do this on my knee, my whole knee, front and sides, it makes it feel good. It didn't feel good in the beginning as it was so sensitive, but now I can rub it with a lot of pressure.
and... probably the one area I still feel the most discomfort is also the lower, outside area of the knee. My knee-twin at the pool feels the same. All we can figure is it takes the most weight, or it's the most worked on, etc.... But I just wanted you to know you're not alone with that one.
 
There’s an area on my left knee, just below the incision on the medial side, that acts up on occasion. I think maybe it’s tendinitis. Anyway, I massage it and the incision (both knees) to relieve tightness. The incision rubbing really helps for some reason. Maybe I’m breaking up/easing scar tissue, maybe some other reason, but massaging gets rid of the tight feeling. For the tendinitis (or whatever it is), it helps ease the discomfort.
 
@SusieShoes I looked up your surgeon and will keep him in mind. He’s probably about 90minutes from me. I like what you said about his thoughts on PT.

Delaware is such a tiny state I would have to go to Philadelphia or Baltimore for a non associated surgeon.

@MSgirl Months ago I stopped even putting lotion on the incision because it seemed like the knee cap, or something, wiggles around underneath when I barely touched it.

@jaschembra It is also senstive to any weight on it and it wasn’t like this early on.

At my appointment next month I will ask for copies of my X-rays taken that day and surgical report.

Another question, if my current surgeon does see a problem should I let him perform the corrective surgery? (He and the hospital are about 15-20 minutes from my house and my hospital experience was excellent.) Or would I be better going to Philadelphia, a 90 minute drive, to a different surgeon. My current one is highly respected here. I’m sure he does a fine job of surgery. Maybe he’s just not as experienced with Patellofemorals. I’ve akso read here it takes a certain skill to take implants out. I will have to see how many revisions he does, if any.
 
My feelings are that if it wasn't done correctly in the first place, don't let him try again. Pants, at 11 months, should not be hurting you like this. I can't wear tight pants on either knee, (why would I even want to!), because they hurt my knees. But, it has been like this for over 25 years. My knees at super sensitive from all the surgeries I've had. But, you don't have that, unless you haven't listed all your surgeries like I haven't. Still, if I were you, if you don't improve, I'd look for someone else.
 
Are you considering getting a second opinion? Because if your surgeon doesn’t look into this, I think you should find someone who will. X-rays don’t show everything.

Maybe in the long run it will all sort out. But if your gut is telling you something, listen.
I agree with SusieShoes, that you should consider getting a second opinion. It's probable that you will have to wait until a year post-op before another surgeon will see you (some sort of professional courtesy.)

Another question, if my current surgeon does see a problem should I let him perform the corrective surgery? (He and the hospital are about 15-20 minutes from my house and my hospital experience was excellent.) Or would I be better going to Philadelphia, a 90 minute drive, to a different surgeon. My current one is highly respected here. I’m sure he does a fine job of surgery. Maybe he’s just not as experienced with Patellofemorals. I’ve akso read here it takes a certain skill to take implants out. I will have to see how many revisions he does, if any.
No, I would not let your current surgeon perform a revision. Even though he's a good surgeon, his interpretation of what may be wrong is going to be coloured by his previous experience with your knee. You need someone who will look at it with fresh eyes.

It's better to have it done by a surgeon who specialises in problem knees and knee replacements - these surgeons see problem knees every working day and they can sometimes spot something that has eluded the initial surgeon.
 
Thanks to all. :console2:
 
Jockette, I experienced much what you’re describing with respect to pants after I had my hip replaced, so no, you are not alone with this complaint. In my case, i couldn’t wear underwear, lol! All of them, regardless of style, aggravated my entire hip, so I caved in and went commando for more than a year. At about 16 or 18 months post-op, the problem just miraculously vanished! I hope yours will as well. [emoji16]

As The Rolling Stones sang, “Time is On Our Side.” I’m a believer!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Pheebs52 , oh my!!!:heehee:

Thanks for the encouragement! It was warm enough today to go out in shorts!!! :happydance:
 
Jockette, does it hurt to have a lap wrap or a blanket on your knee? I hope not. Then you could still wear your shorts and then throw a throw over your legs!
 
It does hurt a little if the blanket is actually laying on the knee. If I can “poof it up” a bit, then it’s ok. Lately I’ve had to do that again with my quilt at night.

My knee is not as comfortable on my elevating wedge as it used to be. There’s no way I can sleep on my side.

I’m so tired of my knee being front and foremost of my thinking.

@Josephine
My knee doesn’t and never has liked any water. Back in the summer it felt huge when I went in the pool. (I finally stopped going because I kept stretching it too much while talking to other people in the pool.). @jaschembra has yours ever felt like this in the pool?

Even the shower water affects it, it just feels big and stiff when water touches it. It hasn’t liked water since the surgery.

Drama queen, drama queen, drama queen. :tantrum:
 
Last edited:
I've just never heard anything like it before. Find a second opinion.
 
I want my original knee back. Life was much easier with the arthritis I had then. :boohoo:
 
@Jockette I agree a second opinion is in order. What can it hurt? And like I've read on bonesmart, it should be someone completely unaffiliated with the OS who did the original surgery. So if you have to go out of state, it would be worth it. So hard to think about, but maybe break it down into segments. For right now, just get the name of a good doctor and make the appointment. You'll probably have to wait a bit to get in, but sometimes just taking baby steps can be so therapeutic. Sending a hug.
 
@Jockette, I too wore shorts yesterday and it was uncomfortable. Of course I’m only five weeks out and the incision has just healed s—the scabs left are from the staple spots, not the actual cut , but it is still very sensitive. I have nerve damage from a failed epidural which is getting better but still bothering me. Nerves do heal at 1mm per day, so it does take a while. my GP put me on Gabapentin and it seems to have helped. I have some side effects from it, namely blurred vision.
I would not hesitate to see a different surgeon. Heck, I got three different opinions once I knew this was what I was going to do. Even if you go to Philly or Baltimore, you are just exploring and getting different opinions. But most of all, it will make you feel better. A visit to your PCP or GP about all the issues. They will be able to treat you holistically, and hopefully get you some relief.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Yes, my knee used to feel pretty big in the pool. It still feels the pressure of the water. Sometimes I can't keep my mind off of it and sometimes, I try to think of something else and I find that I've had minutes of "no knee thoughts" :) I understand where you are - It is difficult to feel better if there is fear in the back of your mind that something is wrong. I can't tell you how many times I have said to myself, "this just can't be right". Right now I've decided that time is my friend and hopefully it's just time (I'm deciding that I have a tendon on each side of my knee that is catching occasionally (on scar tissue maybe, as the OS has said it doesn't look like anything would be catching on the prosthetic, maybe rubbing on it) and I'm thinking this is causing my inflammation, which is then causing heat and pain)

And if I had to get this re-done, I wouldn't see my original OS - I would look for someone with more revision experience and I wouldn't want someone who caused me to have continued pain try to fix it.

I have felt better since being on the Gabapentin and hope the day will come that I can ease off of it, but for now, it's keeping ibuprofen or Meloxicam and acetaminophen away and for that I am happy. I felt really funky for the first couple of days, but now I don't even notice I'm taking it.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom