MUA My difficult right knee replacement surgery!<

I hope you continue to feel better!
 
Thank you. Am resting at home. Actually actually fell asleep on the couch for a bit. I had my wife measure my knee at at this time (literally 10 hours after my manipulation earlier today) she measured my knee to be about 18 inches. So, it appears that right now, I have gained 1 inch in swelling so far. I am hopeful that I don’t balloon up more.

I am having a lot of difficulty lying flat on my back and on my bed, and trying to bend my knee. Frustrating that it is so difficult for me. I am having some success in sitting in a chair, and dragging my knee backwards towards a 90+ degree bend, similar to my non-operated on left knee. Not quite at a 90 degree bend, but I am getting there and this does not generate excruciating pain, just some pressure. But at the very minimum it helps make me feel like I am moving forward However, I am spending a great deal of time with my knee elevated and iced.

Again, thank you for the kind words. Like I said earlier, this has been the most difficult surgery/recovery in my life. I literally had 2 level back fusion surgery 2½ years ago, and my TKR surgery and recovery have been even worse. Honestly it seems I have lost control of my emotions going through this difficult and painful journey. But again, reading these threads and picking up so much useful information on BoneSmart has been a blessing for me in that others too have had their trials and tribulations too.

Will let you all know how PT goes tomorrow. I did have my wife book us a couple of massages tomorrow. I don’t think I can lay on my stomach on the massage table, but I can lay on my back or even sit up. I think it will definitely make my aching body feel better and maybe relax a bit.

Scott
 
Many of us have less bend while laying on our back. I still do and I’m almost 2 years post op. But I can get a nice bend sitting on a chair.

This surgery has also been the most difficult thing I’ve ever been through, and that includes a 39 hour labor with my first baby, 9 of which was “hard labor”. And back then it was natural childbirth which means no pain relief during labor. But thankfully, that was over in 39 hours. This recovery seems to go on forever.

Be kind to yourself and don’t allow the PTs to hurt you. I’ve been there, too.

I hope your massage is gentle and helps you relax. About 6 months post op I wondered if massage would help me but by then I didn’t trust anyone to touch my leg.

Hang in there. We’re glad you found us. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t found Bonesmart!
 
I am up this morning. Woke up 3 times last night. Knee was fairly comfortable considering I had the manipulation less than 24 hours ago.

When I got off the Lazy boy recliner, as soon as I put my foot down the aches and pains immediately returned. Still having a lot of pain on the quads and on the side of me knee.

So I went to sit in my chair this morning and wanted to try and get my right knee to pull back close to my 90 degree left knee sitting position. While I was able to do this yesterday and last night, I couldn’t do it at all this morning. This put me into tears. I just had my manipulation and I am already losing ROM in less than 24 hours.

Hopefully it’s just the trauma from yesterday. I am looking forward to my massage this afternoon. I firmly believe it might help me with my soreness and pain. Then after the massage I am off to PT. Not sure how they will respond to my worsening ROM, but against if they push me to far, I will walk out.
 
The MUA has upset your leg which has increased the swelling. Do the best you can to help the swelling go down- ice, rest and elevate.

Tell the massage therapist to be VERY gentle. Ask if he/she does lymphatic massage, as that can help address the swelling. However, right now you have reactive swelling, your body is reacting to that forced bend that happened yesterday.

Stay in control at PT. If you are not happy with them there are many other facilities you can go to that will work with you, or you can do your rehab at home on your own. It truly is your choice.
 
@Jockette

Thank you for your post. I will indeed follow your advice as to the massage being gentle and the same with the PT. It seems like dealing with all of this has been extremely frustrating, painful, and overly emotional. I just keep dreaming for the day when my TKR is in the rear window and I am back to normal.

Scott
 
Read this again about the Post Op Blues.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

This is an extremely emotional time for us. I cry easily so I wasn’t surprised at how much I cried the first months of my recovery. I couldn’t believe how much I didn’t know about the surgery and recovery and that I had invited this invasion to my body. I had a partial and what I understood was that it was not a big deal and recovery would be about 2-3 months and I’d be fine.

It SO did not go that way for me. :hairpulling:

Many of our members have said they never cry, but have cried a lot in their recovery. Personally I think that is a side effect of major surgery.

I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I feel that with the anesthesia we don’t feel or remember the surgery, but I think somewhere our brain does remember and that is why we cry a lot and are fearful, etc. in recovery.

Try to relax, I know it’s hard, I’ve been there, but your body is trying very hard to recover and heal and that takes an enormous amount of energy.

But it will heal. You will improve. It just takes time.

Which reminds me of this:

Keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

Hang in there! :flwrysmile:
 
@Jockette

Thank you Jockette. Yes, that post op blues I read earlier this morning was pretty spot on.

So to add to my anxiety, it's my anniversary later this week. The anniversary is not the problem. My spouse had made plans for us to go away (200 mile trip way) for a couple of days and see a concert with one of her favorite country music singer. No problem and we are still going. Here is where some more drama set in. I just got a phone call from my TKR surgeon's office (different from my Manipulation Dr) and they were wanting me to go physical therapy 10 day in a row (excluding weekends). I actually booked PT for the 8 days I am home. Long story short the TKR office told me in no uncertain terms that I really need PT on Thursday and Friday this week. They also told me that my TKR surgeon DOES NOT DO a 2nd manipulation period. Just what I did not need to hear about bullying me to go to ten PT sessions following my manipulation. I told the Dr's office that I would try a find a rehab PT facility to go to out of town for those 2 days. They are freaking out and so am I.

Scott
 
Stay in control at PT. If you are not happy with them there are many other facilities you can go to that will work with you, or you can do your rehab at home on your own. It truly is your choice.
My friend I totally agree with Jockette - it is your knee and no one can order you to do anything. Excessive PT will only result in yet more swelling and pain. And to order you to alter your plans based on PT is outrageous! Please fire this organisation and find someone who will work with you. This is pure bullying and I for one would not accept this approach.

Please go and enjoy the concert with your wife. Sounds like a much better use of your time than trying to work with totally unreasonable people.
 
Go with the wife and make some memories. I would guess - I'm not a physician or pt person - I would guess just your normal ADL's during that time will be more than equivalent to what PT would have you do. Remember its still a brand new baby knee - you will tire very easily. You will need to ice and elevate. Most importantly you need to enjoy yourselves and forget about the knee for a while, if possible.
 
While I was able to do this yesterday and last night, I couldn’t do it at all this morning. This put me into tears. I just had my manipulation and I am already losing ROM in less than 24 hours.

Hopefully it’s just the trauma from Yesterday.
Yes, of course it's the trauma from the MUA. Your poor knee has been wounded again and it's swollen. That's why it won't bend so far.

It needs rest, elevation icing, and gentle treatment. As far as exercise goes, all you need to do is move it gently.

I just got a phone call from my TKR surgeon/dr doctors office (different from my Manipulation Dr) and they were wanting me to go physical therapy 10 day in a row (excluding weekends). I actually booked PT for the 8 days I am home. Long story short the TKR office told me in no uncertain terms that I really need PT on Thursday and Friday this week. They also told me that my TKR surgeon DOES NOT DO a 2nd Manipulation period. Just what I did not need to hear about bullying me to go to ten PT's following my manipulation.
Quite frankly, all that PT is the last thing your poor knee needs! It can't and won't bend until some of its swelling goes down. All that extra fluid is making it stiff and unbending. Too much exercise will make the swelling worse.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

I don't think that a 200-mile journey and then sitting in a concert will do much good, either.

And it's a good job your surgeon won't do a second MUA. Why repeat something that didn't work?
 
Dr actually lifted my knee up and let it fall on its own weight, no pushing. He was able to get my ROM to 110 degrees. In my last PT, we barely got above 70 degrees.
That's great, that means there are no adhesions or scar tissue or anything inside the knee to stop regaining ROM, this is good news.
It was interesting that all the staff in the hospital that I just had the manipulation done, kept telling me that i need to avoid elevating my knee
Goodness knows why, elevation is good for the knee.

Scott, I think you are being bullied. PT does not cause ROM to improve very much, all you need are gentle, pain-free stretching movements. And they are not to create ROM, just to keep the knee flexible. The thing that will re-create ROM is TIME. Time for your poor knee just to heal. Feel free to tell those people to, erm, leave off.


Edit: and whilst I was typing, Celle posted. Look how we all agree round here!!
 
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I just left my massage and it was wonderful! Very gentle massage. I don’t think my knee has been this relaxed since before the surgery. The masseuse had done lymphatic massages before and knew exactly what to do to me. Wish I would have done the massage thing earlier. Might do these once a week going forward for awhile.

I will see how the gentle PT goes this afternoon.

Scott
 
The masseuse had done lymphatic massages before and knew exactly what to do to me.
I am so happy to read this! Did he/she suggest how often this would be beneficial? It may be the better thing to do than going to PT. You can always do some very gentle PT type things on your own at home.

I agree with the others, if it was me I would not stay with this current PT group. And if your surgeon gives you a hard time about it, try not to let it bother you. It’s your knee, not theirs. Not all PTs and not all surgeons put this kind of pressure on their patients.

Please be careful on your trip. Can your wife do the driving you you can elevate in the car?

Take plastic zip lock bags with you so you can just get ice for them, in case there isn’t a place to keep whatever you usually use cold.

Do you have an elevating wedge? If so be sure to take it with you and elevate all night. Pillows can also be used, ask for extra if the room doesn’t have enough to suit you.

Set a timer/alarm on your phone so you take your pain medication on time. It’s easy to forget it when we’re busy or off our regular schedule.

Is there wheelchair assistance at the concert? If so, use it! You really don’t want to do a lot of walking right now. If there isn’t, maybe consider buying/renting one to take with you, preferably one that you will be able to elevate your leg. Any money spent on this will be well worth it.

And, most important of all, if you do overdo things and cause a lot of swelling, don’t worry! It will all be due to the extra activities and will eventually resolve with rest. Don’t let your medical team bully you about it.

I pray all goes well for you, that you enjoy this outing. It could do you a world of good, but do expect to pay some price physically for it.

Happy Anniversary! How many years? My husband and I will celebrate 43 in a few months. Where did the time go!
 
Last edited:
@Jockette

Been married 17 years come Friday. I am truly blessed! My wife has taken such great care of me.

The masseuse said come in once a week. For our trip, I sit in the back seat with pillows to elevate my knee. So I don’t think the driving will bother me. Of corse my wife drives, not me.

We will have lots of ice and ice packs to bring on the trip. I have tried contacting the small indoor venue for the concert but they won’t reply to my emails. But I should be Ok and plan on getting plenty of rest ice and elevation.
 
Hi, Scott....I'm a little late getting into this discussion, but I certainly side with everyone's comments about all your poor knee has been through. I'm so thankful that you've taken charge and are not letting people force you into things that you instinctively know are counterproductive to healing.

Of course it's never good for a person to just sit immobile all day, but if you are doing some gentle bends and stretches or getting up to walk around the house for 5 minutes or so every couple of hours, that is all that's require to keep your knee moving and on the right track. Ice and elevating are so critical for the swelling and inflammation that's keeping you from your ROM. So do that as much as possible. It's even good to ice through the night as you sleep - both front and back of the knee. Just be sure you always have a towel between you and the ice source so you don't get a skin burn from the cold.

Your recumbent bike is also a good tool for the type of gentle movement that you need right now. Rocking back and forth on the pedals until you can do a full rotation is just fine.

One thing to consider about outpatient therapy at this point in your recovery is the trauma you put your knee through just getting there and back home. For some people that can be very counterproductive. So, take a look at how you feel before, during and up to 24 hours after therapy trips. It may be better for you to stay home and do your stretches and bends. One exception would be the lymphatic massage. If you have a good therapist to do this for you it can help immensely with the swelling.

Please try not to let any of these folks make you anxious about your knee healing. We have lots of BoneSmarties who never see a day of therapy and they do just fine. As long as you're moving about and stretching/bending regularly, you are fine. The important thing is to listen to your body and note how it reacts with everything you do (or don't do). The goal is gentle movement and reduced swelling right now. There is a lot of time later for actual exercises and strengthening. Hang in there!!! You've had a rocky start, but we're here to support you as you find what works best for you. There is no "one size fits all" recovery from a knee replacement!
 
Well it’s Wednesday afternoon and I was able to handle my PT yesterday and earlier this afternoon. My issue is primarily the difficulty in recovering my ROM. I was only able to get to 60 degree ROM yesterday and today. Hopefully the more time that passes since my MUA on Monday, the better my knee will calm down. My surgeon had mentioned to me that she does not do 2nd MUA’s!

But it has been really tough on me going to PT and literally seeing everyone doing so much better than I am doing. And, from the get go of my TKR date 6 weeks ago, I have had nothing but trouble with my Rom. My knee is just so stiff that bending is extremely painful and difficult. I keep hoping that one day I will wake up, and things will suddenly get easier and less painful for me.
 
Why not skip all that PT and just let your knee heal. As it heals, your bend will improve on its own. PT just keeps it swollen and full of fluid. Think of a water hose full of water. Can you bend it? No, not until you drain that water out. It's the same thing with your knee.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom