MUA My difficult right knee replacement surgery!<

I also agree, you won’t increase your ROM until you get the swelling down. The more you work a swollen knee the more swollen it gets.

Knowing what I know now, after more than a year on Bonesmart, I will not go to PT next time. It is not essential even though we are told it is. I know I will recover just fine at home doing things comfortably, with less pain and definitely less stress.

You felt so good after that massage yesterday. What did they do there? Did they bend your knee for you? Did they have you do exercises? No. They gave you a lovely massage that not only relaxed your knee, but your mind and the rest of your body as well.

There’s your answer. Massage was better than what they are having you do at PT.

You have the right to control your recovery. You are not at the mercy of your surgeon or PT. They can’t “make” you do anything without your consent.
 
My issue is primarily the difficulty in recovering my ROM. I was only able to get to 60 degree ROM yesterday and today.
This is a common error, people thinking that the term ROM is only applicable to flexion (bend). It's not. It applies to both flexion AND extension!

BTW, since you've all been talking about flexion and swelling, I suggest you go back and read my post again. Because I gave you quite a lot of advice about that very thing and that was way back on January 8th!
 
Well, since I was not happy with my PT People and what they were pushing me to do, I made quite a few calls today and believe I found the right match. I will report back next week and let you know.

Scott
 
When last checked my Flexion was -2, in terms of being perfectly straight.
 
When last checked my Flexion was -2, in terms of being perfectly straight.

The -2 would be extension. :) Good extension, too! Your knee is nice and straight, which is something a lot of people worry about. You definitely don't have to.

Flexion (bend) is something that improves a lot when your swelling goes down. I'm crossing my fingers you have found that good match in therapists. Exercise is good for keeping your muscles strong and limber, but don't let a therapist manhandle your new knee or push you into aggressive exercise. What you don't want to do is aggravate the knee so it keeps swelling, or the swelling gets worse.
 
Absolutely. Am so glad and happy I changed my PT. Just some gentle movement now until the trauma is gone.

Again, thank you everyone for your advice and wisdom going through this knee recovery which in my 61 years, has ben the most difficult and painful chapter in my life. Again, a huge shout out to my dear wife Deborah. She has taken such good care of me, I don’t know what the situation would be without her helping me and spoiling me. 17 years today married to this amazing woman!
 
Again, a huge shout out to my dear wife Deborah. She has taken such good care of me, I don’t know what the situation would be without her helping me and spoiling me.
That’s how my husband took care of me. Every time I had a crisis he would just hug me and say, we’ll get through this. As I dread the possibility of another surgery he has already told me, we’ll get through it. :roseshwr:
 
Sounds like we’re both very lucky with our wonderful spouses! Amen. Could not imagine getting through this alone.
 
Supportive and understanding spouses are a real plus and makes recovery so much easier! Of course Beautiful also made it clear to me she wouldn’t be “babying” me! That was my mother’s job way back when and I’ve outgrown that by a long shot!:heehee:
 
Enjoyed our 17th Anniversary and the Erin Watson concert. It really made my wife happy, thereby I am happy. But, my new knee was so happy to get back to the hotel. Honestly my knee wanted to get elevated and iced.
 
Hang in there Scott. As you heal you will find that ROM returns. Hopefully the new gentle PT helps you to reach your goal.
 
Glad you could enjoy your evening out at the concert. That was quite an ambitious outing for someone just out of MUA. Well done! Ice is your friend.
 
Amen. I think I have an addiction to ice now. Just glad the concert venue was a dance hall with a few hundred people. It’s called the Dallas Bull in Tampa Florida.

I had enough room to take walks several times in the venue.
 
I’m so glad you both had a good time and it was a smaller venue. I was a bit worried about this undertaking but I’m so glad you weathered it well.

Happy Anniversary again!
 
I couldn't agree more with the advice you are getting here. My recovery has been nothing short of a roller coaster ride. I have had poor ROM, had the MUA. It was only after I laid off the aggressive PT that things started to change. It's been 3 months almost to the day and I feel like things are finally turning around. Mobility is better but I still have a ways to go. It's not something that can be rushed. Patience, rest, ice, elevation are key right now. I know it's hard not to compare, try your best not to. Thinking good thoughts for you
 
Getting ready to meet my new Pt people tomorrow. With the help of this site, I fully understand the concept of consent and will only let them gently move my knee. Anything else and I walk away.

I am forever grateful to Paul, the PT person that worked on me for 2 days in Tampa. Going to him and seeing what the PT process is supposed to be like was an eye opener for me and allowed me to dump my old PT company that operated like a chop shop.

The first time I had PT at Paul’s company, he took one look at my knee, saw the massive swelling, and had me lay on a special table ( highly elevated ) with a wedge. This was to allow fluid in my knee to drain. He then did some lymphatic massage to me while elevated. He explained too me that my kneecap was not moving, so he proceeded to do some heavy massage not only on my kneecap but also all over my knee area. Then and only then did I do several light stretching exercises with my knee. And the most important thing while doing the knee stretches was that I was in charge and I controlled the bend and discomfort before the pain became unbearable. He came up with so many ways (positions) to minimize my heightened anxiety.

Today is the 2nd day with no Pt, and I am grateful my knee gets to elevate and ice. After all, my manipulation was 6 days ago. My knee actually feels a little better. I am not walking so stiff legged. I can feel some stretching and pulling while getting around on the walker.

Tuesday is a big day for me as I have a follow up appointment with the ARNP at the Drs office that did my manipulation.

So when I left the PT in Tampa on Friday afternoon last week, I was only able to bend to 52 degrees. I will try not to focus on Rom, and instead focus on any reduction in pain, and better mobility.

Again, thank you bonesmart.org for the wonderful insight from the moderators and other individuals tips. They have been invaluable to me and probably kept me from going over the deep end emotionally. That is only because at 6 1/2 weeks out, I never expected to still be in pain and still have much difficulty with my mobility and Rom. The fact that I am a tax accountant (Enrolled Agent) and make some money preparing tax returns also scares me only because I am not close to being in condition to work.

Scott
 
Sounds like Paul fully understands the new techniques around TKR. Until things calm down in that knee most everything else just makes things worse. Gentle massage, gentle stretching ice and elevation. Everything else will come with time. Hang in there sounds like you are on a good path.
 
@Jockette
I start my new PT today. I am a little bit nervous. It seems that it is very difficult for me to relax, when going to PT and I get involved in light activities. My pain levels are still off the charts when it comes to any type of light bending. Since its only been a week since my manipulation, obviously swelling and trauma are still big issues for me. Unfortunately, my ROM since my initial TKR has been pathetic. Last checked on Friday at my PT in Tampa it was 52. I would have thought by now it would be better, but my knee is not cooperating.

It seems that I am still walking very stiff, with little knee bend. I am concerned that I still have major issues with very little ability to bend. Does anyone know how long after an MUA, it should take to get some additional bend.

I try not to worry with what is wrong with my knee, and my inability to bend it is a major concern. The manipulation actually created a new type of knee pain for me. My abductor muscles on the side of my knee going up to my thigh, are big time bruised and jacked. When trying to bend, these areas give off more initial pain the the knee by itself. But again, honesty trying to bend my knee is almost impossible for now. Should I be worried?

I goto a followup appointment with my Manipulation Drs AR/NP early tomorrow. Should be quite interesting as to what her assessment is.

Thanks!
Scott
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom