Guest viewing is limited

My big day is April 10! I'm scared, but excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi The leopard jammies sound adorable but let me also say that once home I was digging out long nightgowns and caftans. Call me lazy but they were so much easier to throw on and because my bandage was removed on day 4 there was no rubbing. And with a caftan and a cool refreshment it's almost like being on vacation lol:) hope all is well - enjoy the weekend:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hibbe That sounds good, actually.
I may pull out some long tshirt nightshirts. I think that idea may be a good one not to rub on the incision.
Thanks! Enjoy your weekend, too!
 
@MajorHeidi I did the long sleep shirts for the first couple of weeks. Then went to PJ's after I got the stitches out. Can't wait to see you on the other side!! You'll do great!!
 
@MajorHeidi, so happy your date is coming up and you will be joining us hippies on the other side. Just wanted to stop by and wish you the best of luck on the 10th. We will all be here to cheer you on and help take you through this journey. Stay positive.
 
Thanks @Jp9294 Jackie!
Your recovery was so great, and I am happy happy happy for you!

My parents are visiting..... they were both shocked to see me with a cane.
:umm:
Noone has arthritis in the family background except me.
I guess I am a special snowflake....
haha
:heehee:
I have got to get this positive vibe thing into my mind soon!
I am getting closer I guess. The OS had done all the precautions; working those through.
Hopefully they will add up to a success!
Errr......
 
Haha. Brave you. I haven't told my parents and siblings yet! Don't know why, just didn't couldn't deal with it. My husband and sons under strict request/orders and threatened to never forgive if anyone slips and tells. They haven't noticed my limp and cane yet. Lol. I make sure to visit on really good days. I'm a special snowflake in my family, too. If I heard another "you're too young" "are you limping still?" "You look uncomfortable/in pain" "you walk worse than Dad" (94 years young)

See you got that visit out of way. Surgery will be nothing. You are as brave as you can possibly think you are! Get to that pre-surgery calm and don't let the panicky bad thoughts catch you!
 
I am the special snowflake, or for me flake LOL, in my family. My great aunt had a little arthritis in her fingers but I am the first one to need joint replacement. I told my brothers and wish I had my parents to tell, lost my mom in 2010 at 69 years young, and my dad in 1969 at 29. Can't tell anyone else how to deal with telling family, but I sure wish my mom and been here for me to share with her about it. She always made things easier to deal with somehow, and I really miss that. Oh well, done with my little pity party there.
 
Aw @mysticfairy sorry. I know I should have told family but not so brave on that front. I do like the snowflake aspect though my family would definitely agree on the flake part. I'm not sure which is harder to not have the family or not feel you would get the support from them. We can pity party together on that.

@MajorHeidi Just think next week this time the wait for surgery will be soooooo over. When I realized that which was same day I accomplished all of pre-surgery testing and actually got suitcase out to start packing, reality and need for calming acceptance came together. Hope it does for you friend.
 
@MajorHeidi wishing you a successful surgery & smooth recovery. You are well-prepared, done the homework, and most of all have blessed all with your kindness and support:). We are all here for you and want to give to you as you've given your heart to all of us over the past 3 months. Hope that in the next few days, you can truly leave your fears behind, trust the good Lord for the wonders He's made, especially our gifted OS teams, and feel happy, free and blessed that you have this "new" life ahead. There will be challenges, but you are one of the best prepared as you've been here at BS and know what you may face and how to handle.

(BTW I did not know when they inserted the catheter, had a few tinges of discomfort, sometimes a little tugging when I got twisted with the tubes, but LOVED having it in. I was thirsty from the anesthesia and felt free to drink all I wanted, without worrying about getting up to go to the bathroom. Sad to have it removed the morning after surgery.)

Blessings to you, dear friend.....xo
 
The catheter thing was a question I never asked. I had had the spinal when they told me they were putting it in so didn't feel it. I didn't really feel it while it was in. I too was extremely thirsty and always adhere anyway to drinking a lot of water. When I saw how much urine I was producing, :heehee: I was really glad to have it in! They asked if I wanted it out evening of surgery, but I decided to wait til next morning:heehee:. At that point, it was kind of like when I had babies and figured they had seen everything already!
Also, by the way, it felt kinda like a very small slippery tampon coming out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to pass along a link on Amazon for 4 bed risers the DH just put under my recliner chair.
These are great! They raised the chair up by 5 3/4inches. Yay!
He was going to make a platform with wood, but this was much easier, and $11.50.
Now I feel confident I can do the 90 degree rule standing/sitting. Whew!

Here is the Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UHYTZ2/?tag=ate362da-20
 
@MajorHeidi Hey, Claire! Just wanted to add my best wishes to you for a stupendously fabulous recovery! You've been so wonderful with your comments of support to me and so many others... & they've been so appreciated. Now it's YOUR turn to join us on this side of the forum and begin your renaissance. As everyone has said, THIS -- NOW -- is the worst part. I was "up" one day, calm & accepting another day, panicky yet another. A virtual roller coaster of emotions. Like so many of us, I was Anxiety & Fear personified. But you know all that. Best of all, you also know you are extremely well prepared, have probably asked all of your questions, & are as ready as one can be facing such a momentous event.

Btw, don't stress about the catheter. I never knew when they put it in (for either my TKR or THR) because I was already somewhere in la-la land. I think it came out the next day, but like others have said it was very convenient & no trouble at all. I actually tried to get them to give me one more day, but they nixed THAT! Party-poopers! Having it removed was nothing... slides right out. Don't worry!

Claire, if all us chickens can do it, so can you. Looking forward to reading your stories. You're almost there!

Ellen
 
@MajorHeidi Claire, just checking in and seeing that you are so ready to get this done and over with. You have been such a help during my recovery and I hope I can give some of that love back!! Try to relax as much as you can and know you are doing the best thing you can for yourself!! Recovery is only days away!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom