My big day is April 10! I'm scared, but excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @ekars2 I jad joint class today, and they are now recommending everyone take Probiotics for seven days prior to surgery, on the night before surgery, and continue on for at least 30 days. And, they did say this is helping to prevent against incidents of C. diff
I am taking Align. The RN said a generic store brand is actually fine, too.
 
The RN told me today they prescribed another antibiotic for me because ..... wait for it.....
I hit the jackpot and managed to fail everything in preop. I have a UTI even with NO symptoms.
So I begin 10 days of that course of antibiotic along with the one I have to apply to my nose.
Good grief!
So I hit the UTI, abnormal EKG, and MRSA colonization.
On a positive note, the joint class was very well done and presented.
I found out that the OS uses internal stiches, then external glue, then a special wound dressing
called Aquacel that has antimicrobial silver in it. You don't replace it at all; just remove it at day 5-7.
(Unless it gets saturated on day 1..... so they say).
That sounds good.
I will have to wear TED stockings, Thigh High! wowser.
 
At least they have everything under control @ MajorHeidi...they have left no stone unturned and are making sure you are as safe as you can be for surgery.....better they know it all now and take positive steps ......I know it's all more worry than you need right now.....but all will turn out great for you...just you wait and see. Chrissie xxxxx
 
Hi @ekars2 I jad joint class today, and they are now recommending everyone take Probiotics for seven days prior to surgery, on the night before surgery, and continue on for at least 30 days. And, they did say this is helping to prevent against incidents of C. diff
I am taking Align. The RN said a generic store brand is actually fine, too.
Ok thanks I well take it a week before surgery and 30 day after
Thanks so much
Mary Ann
 
I think my pre-op testing was more detailed than my physical was last year. I oinly have to have one more test on April 3rd to be sure I have my A1C down or they won't do it. But I know it will be.

You will do well. Better they find out this stuff in advance.
 
Hi @sleenie You are right! that is the way to think of these things.
Your A1C will go down, because it must.
You are very brave doing bilat knees. Wow.
One and done! Ha... that should be your new thread..... :yay:
 
@Plumberbutt Can you tell me what fiber pill you were advised to get?
I think I need that, too. I would like to try that. I don't like fiber-foods. Prefer stuff that tastes good.
And, in preop today they said again, Meloxicam is fine to keep on taking thru the surgery.
Whew!!
Only 1 more day for you beyond today I think.....
 
@MajorHeidi They didn't recommend any certain brand, they mentioned like metamucil or citrucel. When I went to WalMart, I found the pill form and that is what I got as I, like you, don't want to take it if it don't taste good, so I figured the pill form would work too. I got the generic to citrucel as you didn't have to take as many pills at a time. Great hearing you can take the Meloxicam through surgery....it really does help!!!
 
WOW Claire - Just catching up with our thread - not long now but sounds like everything is in order for you except those infections! AT least they have found out about them and are treating them!
 
@MajorHeidi...I love your picture..You are so pretty!!! So I bet you have your suitcase at the door already right??? lol... April 10th is around the corner girl....and believe me you will be fine..Look I did it LOL.. I am 2 weeks and 2 days post op and I think I have turned the corner.. That after surgery feel has finally left me...Good bye..Dry mouth..just blahhh... I am still very very sore but its a different pain now...It really took me 14 days to say that, But I saw my Dr today for the post op appointment and he said Jo Anne your surgery was only a little over two weeks ago. LOL....Yes that's right..2 WEEKS..and already I feel almost normal..Everyone's recovery is different..you may feel good in a week?? Like I had said before we are so consumed with the hip pain..who's thinking of pain after the surgery>>I wasn't...Just take the pain medication. I thought Oh I can do with out it....NO YOU CAN'T...that was my mistake. Today I removed the raised toilet seat...lol goodbye to you...and get one.....It was much better having it...So as you see even babies like me survive the surgery lol..and I still wear the teds to..and I was so concerned to get a walker to....never used it once...and as for the cane...not so much either... You will do just fine...I know you will:SUNsmile:
 
Hi @chaseyboy Jo Anne!
So good to hear from you. I am SO happy for you that you are doing so well in your recovery, and you
no longer have that pain you had to deal with.
At least the pain meds help with the surgical pain enough to tolerate it, right?
No walker used? Wow you are a star!
Keep on providing your rays of sunshine to all of us! :SUNsmile::flwrysmile:
 
@MajorHeidi just checking in to see how you're doing. Let me just say "ditto" to chaseyboy's comments. You will do great. Keep your wonderful sense of humor and know that many thoughts and prayers are coming your way:)
 
@teakea66 Thank you for the very kind comments.... :)
I hope you are doing well today and are feeling good!

I will certainly take you up on the prayers, please. :angel:
 
@MajorHeidi I know you will do great. I am 7 days post op today and I'm feeling darn good! Did some pt today and it stiffened me up, so I'm resting now, but I definitely get stronger every day. It's not so bad. I've had some tough moments, but it's worth it. You won't be sorry. Don't worry, either. :)
 
Hi Debbie! @Dmcfad2 I am following all your posts, and your recovery.
You are doing great! I hope to be able to say the same.
I am scared of the post surgery pain, as I have never had surgery, and don't have any real pain
right now either. Just ROM is awful, and I limp terribly to avoid pain I guess. Is the pain tolerable?
Thanks!!!
 
@MajorHeidi Hi, Claire! I would say don't be scared of the post surgery pain. It can be well controlled with medication. All in all, I have had 3 times where I let the pain get out of control and it did make me cry, I won't lie about it. But, it was early on, I was still in the hospital and they were trying to get my meds right. And it didn't last very long. The nurses in my hospital were great and didn't want me to be in pain, so were right there to help me.
I remember my situation was a lot like yours. ROM was my biggest problem, not bone on bone pain. But, I couldn't increase my range of motion then because of the bone spurs. It was too painful. So, it was a vicious circle. I compensated for the pain by not doing the things that were painful. Then, my ROM would get even worse. And I would limp. I limped for years! Since my operation, I am slowly increasing my ROM by stretching my quad and I don't have the pain stopping me anymore. Just the tightness. I hope I am explaining that to you correctly. I actually will have to re-learn how to walk without a limp. The PT said that in a few more weeks, she thinks physical therapy will be beneficial for me to learn to walk properly.
Anyway, I think my experience has been a little different because I didn't feel that immediate relief of bone on bone pain that so many have on this site. But, there is a definite improvement. As I heal, I notice it more and more. You will be very happy you did it!
 
Thanks Debbie! I think our backgrounds on this are similar.....
Appreciate your insights.
Onward an upward, right?!!!
 
Hi Claire @MajorHeidi

Can't believe how quick your surgery has come around!!!

You sound like you are getting organised. Bad luck about the UTI and MRSA swab. Better to find them now so they can treat the UTI and take precautions with MRSA. At my hospital they simply barrier nurse anyone who swabs positive for MRSA. That means anyone coming into your room wears a plastic gown and gloves and when you go to rehab or walk the hall you wear the same as well.

Great idea with the probiotics, I've been taking them too. The chemist told me to take them about 2 hours away from the ABX so that the probiotics can sit in your gut. If you take them with the ABX it kill off some of the probiotics.

Finally, nice to see you!!!! Your dogs are beautiful. Is that a Weimaraner ? I love them. And the other one?

Take care aNd talk soon

Xxxx
 
@MajorHeidi Just dropping by to say hi and let you know how excited I am for you as your date gets closer. I remember the first time I saw your headline "excited but scared" you sounded just like me. Please be more excited and less scared - you are going to do magnificently. Prayers and happy thoughts continue for you:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom