TKR + MUA first knee. One year post knee surgery

@CJM - I've changed your thread title, to reflect that you had two procedures on the same day.
 
Hiya re the MUA and the pain spot I had similar and the physio used massage she said it was a pocket of fluid like a bursa. The massage really helped. Good luck with your recovery.
 
Thanks for responding! I would have thought that heat or massage might have been the way to go. But I guess you can never go wrong with trying ice. We are out of town wedding planning for our son's wedding right now. I think when I get back home I will call the doc. I don't know if this is something that can be aspirated or not so I will run it by him. Just another unexpected surprise along this slow journey.
 
I don't think aspiration is a good idea. Any time someone sticks a needle into your knee, you run the risk of introducing bacteria from your skin into your knee.
Your knee was newly wounded by the MUA. Treat it gently and give it time to recover.
 
I had my first knee done Sept. 20th a year ago and the second knee done on Jan. 31 (at which time my surgeon did an MUA on the first knee because he felt I could get more bend). My concerns are that both knees still hurt, but not to the point that I need strong drugs like Tramadol. I usually take nothing or 2 Tylenol. I still cannot lift myself up off the sofa without pain. I did have PT but after completing that I really have not been great at a lot of exercising other than on the recumbent bike. Should I join a health club and use the machines to help rebuild the soft tissue? Do I still need to ice? I would appreciate any suggestions!
 
When you say your knees hurt, do you mean all the time? Or is it situational, like when walking, or only when getting off the sofa? Just wondering, because if it's only when getting off the sofa, or only on stairs, but not while walking, it might be that you need to build up your muscles. But if the knee hurts all the time, that might be something else. Have you consulted your OS about your pain? If he thinks PT will help, you could get sessions under insurance.

One way to see if you need to ice is to try icing for a few days and see if it helps. If it helps, keep icing. For some people, full recovery from this surgery can take more than a year. It's good your pain isn't so bad you need strong meds, but frustrating that you have pain of any kind still. :blackcloud:
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
I found building a walking routine has helped my pain levels. Even at 2-3 years post op I had pain when walking for longer than a half hour and was looking for a seat. But once I began building up my walking slowly that pain has really disappeared as well as standing pain. I've honestly been amazed at how long I can walk now without pain.
 
[Bonesmart.org] + MUA first knee.  One year post knee surgery
@CJM,
You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

I have changed your thread title to the title you used in your update.


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
I appreciate the suggestions. I am going to go to the YMCA tomorrow and find out what machines I can use to rebuild these tender tissue issues . A walking routine won't hurt either!
 
I bet your YMCA has a pool. That is a great place to build muscle in your legs and feel good at the same time. Do you still swell? Icing would definitely help with that. My LTKR is just ahead of your RTKR and I too still have discomfort/pain getting up from some places. I try to take it slow and focus on using the legs. Recently I emailed my OS about some of my issues and he said it would get better as muscle strength increases. I think it helps take the load off the joint (but I'm not a medical person here making that statement, just what I've read on the internet) :) And then again... it can take longer than a year to fully heal.
 
I went to the YMCA yesterday and am waiting to here back from a personal trainer. So the first step is taken care of. Will try to update as I go along. I'm thinking my journey might help others with difficulties at the one year mark.
 
What a wonderful thought, to share your journey so others might benefit from your experience. Good results or bad, we learn from each other. :) :-) (:
 
My first appointment is scheduled for October 2 (as I will be out of town). Will keep everyone interested posted!
 
I wanted to send out an update on my very long recovery process. I have been working with a personal trainer at the YMCA for two weeks now. I meet with her two times per week for an hour and on the other days I use my recumbent bike slowly amping the resistance. We have not used any "strengthening machines" yet which surprised me a little. I do repetitions of various stretches on the floor (which is always challenging getting down and back up again ). She also has my using rubber pulleys to strengthen my upper body. My first meeting with her was all about my overall health concerns and my goals (which are to strengthen the four muscles supporting my knees, improve my overall health and losing weight). I told her I want to feel and look significantly a year from now. I have been having lower back pain lately so that has been discouraging. It isn't related to the new program because it began about a month ago. I wish I had taken the excersize suggestions they gave me after the surgery much more seriously because at this point I feel way behind. Live and learn! More next time. I am never sure how to post a comment, if I've done it wrong again, I apologize.
 
What makes you think you are far behind others? It sounds like you're doing all the things you want to do, and your rtkr and lmua are not yet 10 months ago. Remember that it take a whole year or more for a complete healing. To me, it sounds like you're doing great!
 
@CJM ,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
This is not the first time we have had to do that, so please don't keep starting new threads.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please will you do that?
 
Thanks again Celle. Just don't get this thread thing.
Sisterinhim - I am glad I had both knees done and am able to walk and even hike now. I just think I am behind because it is still very painful to get up from a sit to a stand and my knees feel sore during the day. They are fine at night and don't keep me up at all. A doctor friend said that the muscles around the knee atrophied after the surgery and that they need to be built up again. He suggested that once they are built up the process of standing up would get easier.
 
I believe atrophied is the wrong word. If they were atrophied, I don't think you would have been able to stand or walk for quite a while. Of course, your muscles in your knees weakened some because of your tkrs, but all of us have had to build ourselves back up. It took me months before I was even able to go up and down steps like an adult! And there are times when I'm extra tried my knee feels a little bit weaker. This recovery takes time!

I haven't had the left one replaced yet, just the right. I'm holding off asap! Call me chicken!
 
I had quite a bit of pain when walking, getting up and standing until I began walking. I started slowly because there was pain when walking, but now I can walk for an hour or longer with no pain. Standing is no longer painful either. I believe the walking as strengthened the muscles around the implant. I'm not an exercise fanatic, in fact I still don't enjoy walking, however I can totally see a difference now.
 
I completely agree with KarriB. Walking on nice even ground is the best exercise for your knees. The more you walk, the stronger they will get. Find a nice scenic area where you can really enjoy taking a stroll and go for it! You'll be glad you did!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom