TKR + MUA first knee. One year post knee surgery

My second knee is done! I took several Percocet the first week after surgery but decided to try to stick to Tramadol and Tylenol after that. So needless to say I do feel discomfort in both knees. But where I really struggle is going from sitting to standing up. Every time I get up for those 2-3 seconds my pain level shoots to a 9-10. This is in both knees. My therapist says it's because the muscles above and below the knee are kind of useless and cannot assist in the transition. She said once I get my ROM up (mine is about 118 now) then we'll work on exercises to strengthen those muscles. It is just agony getting up which concerns me deeply and also makes me depressed. My husband and therapist are really happy with my progress. I am three weeks ahead of where I was after my first knee replacement. I can use my recumbent bike pretty easily. I think the big difference is that for the first three weeks after this replacement I mostly stayed in bed elevating and icing. I still try to limit the amount of time on my feet. And I have days where I am really tired and just allow myself to sleep. I would love to hear if anyone else has had difficulties standing up and how long it took before it stops being so excruciating.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@CJM it is very normal to have issues with sitting/standing transition for quite a few months after TKR and you are just nearing one month post op. Give it time. I wouldn't start working on strengthening those muscles until after month 3. Starting too early will aggravate your soft tissue all over again.
 
Thanks Karri. My first knee was done Sept 20 and that one still hurts when I stand too. I guess I will have to be more patient until I reach 3 months on the new one. I was hoping that I would be in great shape by July because our son is getting married then. That's why I decided to have these surgeries done! Patience is something I will have to work on I guess!
 
@CJM ... you may notice that I moved some of your comments here to your original recovery thread. This is where you should be posting your updates and any questions you might have. They were off topic where you put them in another member's thread and were starting to derail the conversation away from her recovery. Please use this thread unless you are providing support for another person or commenting on something they have posted.

Here is guidance on finding your recovery thread:

How do I find my threads?
 
My right knee was also done on September 20 and in a couple days I will be at 2 months on the Left one. I still have lots of pain when standing up from sitting. The right more so than the left, but it still hurts, too, although it is gradually improving. It just takes time, lots and lots of time!
 
Just curious...do your knees kill when you try to get up from sitting? My surgery was the same day and I just want to cry every time I get up. I am quite depressed.
 
Make sure that you are still using your arms to help you stand up. And make sure that your seat is not too low.
The rest is just down to time - time for your knees to heal a bit more and time for your muscles to regain some of their strength.
 
My husband built me a 6 inch high platform to set my recliner on. The extra height makes a lot of difference. It still hurts some when I stand up, but not nearly as much as trying to get up from a lower chair.
 
Just curious...do your knees kill when you try to get up from sitting? My surgery was the same day and I just want to cry every time I get up. I am quite depressed.
@CJM I moved your post as it was in beekeep's recovery thread and it's not considered polite to ask your own question in somebody else's thread as answering you would derail it. Forum etiquette: being polite when posting
 
Sorry, it was not my intent to be rude. I asked the question because we had surgery on the same day. I just don't hear a lot of people talking about having this problem. I saw my surgeon on Monday and asked if this was common. He said it occurs in about 5% of patients. I guess I drew the lucky straw. No wonder I don't read about others having this terrible pain!
 
I think it's quite common. I know that getting up from a chair was painful for a couple of months, maybe more.
 
I think he's got his stats wrong. I found it painful and difficult to get up for quite a few months.
 
I agree with KarriB. I think most of us experience thati pain. Possibly we don't tell the surgeon, so he/she gets an impression that it's uncommon.
 
I just assumed it was expected pain, but much worse if you're in a lower seat. @CJM , did you experience this with your first TKR? I know my dad also had pain upon getting up with both knees as well as his THR.
 
Oooh yes. No doubt about it. Standing up hurts! It passes though.
 
Just curious...do your knees kill when you try to get up from sitting? My surgery was the same day and I just want to cry every time I get up. I am quite depressed.
Had both of mine done in July. Still use the over the toilet handles. Getting out of a chair, etc. feels and sounds like gravel Crunching! [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
Another question....I had a MUA on my left knee while I was under for my right knee. Lately I've noticed a very tender, painful and swollen area on the kneecap area. It feels like there is fluid inside. Does anyone know what this might be and what I can do to get it normal again (heat? massage? Etc)
 
I would use ice, not heat, on that swelling on your kneecap. When you had the MUA, it wasn't just a matter of the surgeon simply bending your knee. In order to do that, he would have had to use some force and often you get additional soft tissue damage through having that done.

Having had the MUA, your poor left knee is now doing extra duty as it supports your healing right knee. It also needs some TLC - rest, ice and elevation should help it, too.
 
Re: pain upon standing. I always felt like gravity was pulling the tissues around my knee, and, yes, it hurt.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom