Ms.Fit's goin' for it again - hip #2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I will catch up eventually but not yet.
A gentle reminder - please don't compare recoveries. Every one is different. And the approach matters not! We have members who have major difficulties post anterior approach. Focus on the end result - pain free life with a shiny new hip!

@MsFit1 If you feel confident on just a cane - great. But please don't let PT push you any direction. Unfortunately they usually have their "program" which may or may not fit with your own situation.
 
Hi @Rhonda K , yes @Jaycey is absolutely correct, every surgery and every recovery is different. You're exactly where you're supposed to be! There's certainly no need to rush. The physical therapist has me doing some very simple exercises like heel slides, quad sets, standing calf raises, etc., but she emphasised that these exercises are not nearly as important as just walking short distances several times a day. And of course to keep icing and elevating.
 
I quit doing all the heel slides and standing exercises and am just doing walking. I must say that I can now lift my op leg when I need to (into bed, etc) and the pain is almost gone. As Jo says, walking is what is needed - plus icing and elevating. We can do this!
 
Hi @MsFit1. Just catching up on your thread. So glad you are well on the way to recovery. Sharing your experience is a huge help for someone like me, facing my first surgery. And I love your avatar! Sweet pup, sweet picture.
Mary
 
Hi there @hopefulm! If I can be of any help, or if there's anything you'd like to know, please don't hesitate to ask. Bonesmart is a great way to connect with others who have gone through the all the same things that you have, and it's a great comfort to have the support that everyone offers here. I was really scared the first time I had the surgery, but once it was over and done with, I was so happy with the results! So, this second time around at least I already knew the drill, and although the healing phase takes a little while, it really isn't bad at all, especially knowing that I don't have to deal with those darned arthritic hips anymore! I saw Brody's darling little picture. My Wolfie takes very good care of me too :puppysmooze:
 
Thanks, @MsFit1! Just knowing how positive the outcome(s) have been for you makes a huge difference in dealing with my anxiety. I'm not by nature a patient person, so this process of waiting for surgery is another of life's lessons. . .so glad you are doing well!
 
@MsFit1 just checking to see how my other surgery buddy is doing. Hope all is well!
 
Hi @Jaycey and all my other bonesmarties ! Thanks so much for checking in. I'm feeling pretty perky! I cannot believe that yesterday was my one week anniversary since surgery - it seems like it was so long ago. Yesterday the physical therapist had me do some resistance band exercises, and she had me walking around quite a bit without the cane. Since I was up on my feet most of the day, I may have overdone it a bit as I was a little stiff and sore this morning. So today I'm taking it easier and trying to rest and elevate as well as taking short, frequent walks. The home health nurse came by today and changed my bandage. She said everything looks really good, and there's no swelling. The staples look a little spooky, but they're exactly as they should be. She'll remove the staples next week. Hope everyone else is doing well and healing nicely!
 
@MsFit1 . Sounds like you are doing well and I'm sure happy to have a clean dressing - countdown to get the staples out! I feel concerned about all the variation of physio exercises you are doing. I always envision Ms. Josephine peeking over my shoulder and I think if she were peeking over your's, she would give you a firm slap! LOL ;). At just one week out, don't forget you only really need a little bit of walking :)
 
Yesterday the physical therapist had me do some resistance band exercises, and she had me walking around quite a bit without the cane. Since I was up on my feet most of the day, I may have overdone it a bit as I was a little stiff and sore this morning.
You are sore because you are only one week out of THR and resistance exercises on that new hip are just not what it needs. I just do not understand why these PT suggest all this stuff - especially so early out. Walking and resting - for one week out that all that is needed. Of course the decision is up to you but I am one week out and would not let anyone tell me to do any resistance on my new hip. Totally counter productive (I'll get off my soapbox now).
 
MsFit1...just wanted to say hello to you on your thread as you were so nice and helpful on mine! I am like you just a week out...my PT starts on October 20th...my dr prefers healing for several weeks before PT on hips. So I am walking, resting, icing and elevating. Did you have posterior? You mentioned staples is why I ask. I just had stitches. I took off my bandage on Sunday last....just steri strips and let air get to it as per instructions. Will enjoy following your progress as we are just about hippi twins! JayCee and I are also hippy twins....maybe we three are the three musketeers! Joan:SUNsmile:
 
@MsFit1 how's the first Musketeer doing. Hope all is well with your recovery.
 
Ouch! @Carriemay60 ... I felt that slap! :heehee: My husband also told me I was doing a little too much. It's just that I feel like I should be "doing something". I know I just had major surgery, but since I'm not in any real pain I feel a little guilty for lying down in the middle of the day - I feel like I should be doing "something". But I realize there still is a lot of healing still going on inside, so I've been taking it easy the last couple of days. Thank you so much for your concern! :loveshwr:
 
Hi @Jaycey ! I've been thinking of you.... :friends: Anyway, I don't know if it's the way the insurance works here or if it's the doctor's orders - but the physical therapist came out the day after I arrived home, and she's visited me everyday since (except the weekend). She would make sure I was walking with proper form, and then would have me do some light exercises and work with the resistance band as I explained above. You would think they would give you a little time to recover first from the hospital before beginning therapy, but apparently that's not the way they do it here! She told me I could start adding ankle weights to my "routine" - but I'm holding off for now, being a good girl and just walking! There will be plenty of time for that later. Anyway today was my last visit from the PT as that's all the visits the insurance will allow.
 
Hi there Joan @gazelle7777 ! Yes, to me that makes more sense to have physical therapy after you've had some healing and recovery time. As I was mentioning in my post above to Jaycey, my doctor started me immediately on PT right after I got home, so I guess it is the doctor's preference as when to start. As for the surgery, I had the anterior method. This is my second surgery, and the same doctor (who is wonderful) did both hips, and both times he used the staples. The nurse changed my bandage last week, and this Tuesday she'll remove them (not really looking forward to that :scaredycat:) Just kidding....it wasn't that bad last time, but still... But then she will put a bunch of steri strips on the incision, and I believe I'm supposed to just leave them there until they fall off. Lucky you! I'd much rather have stitches than the scary staples! Did you have dissolving stitches? Hope you are doing well and I'm going to catch up on your recovery thread this weekend! Onward Musketeers! xxxx Karen
 
@MsFit1 :) Glad you felt the little "reminder". I think they get us moving really quick to avoid us having the opportunity to get nervous. Weird how the next morning you can be told you can walk and climb a few stairs and just do it without question! Once I was released I was much more nervous not having my OT beside me ad in hindsight wish I had gone to rehab as suggested by my surgeons at the time. But alas, I had a wedding to get to and was not in my own Province so it would have cost thousands. I had home PT once or twice a week for over 6 months covered and now go outside. Adding weights? Not on my legs chickie!
 
So happy to see all of you are doing well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom