Ms.Fit's goin' for it again - hip #2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad your second time went even better than first! Home in a day - my hero! And you sound happy and enthusiastic!

My doc does ask for at least 2-3 days which with all of the other accommodations I don't mind so much -- so long as they allow showers again this time I can do it -- But, on the up side, its not quite a hospital - only 15 beds, all orthopedic, great local restaurant meals, few interruptions after first couple of hours. More hotel with medical staff than hospital.
 
Hi @Me2 I had my surgery at Sarasota Medical Center, which is actually an excellent hospital for joint replacements. . .but the "hotel" where you're going to be sounds absolutely wonderful!
 
I had a lovely visit from the home health care nurse today. She checked everything out and said my incision was doing great. However, she told me I couldn't shower until my staples are removed - not until October 14! Doesn't that seem rather extreme? I told her I was allowed to shower a few days after surgery last time, using a plastic bag/plastic wrap to cover the bandage. But she told me not "to risk it" as the incision area could still get wet. Sponge baths are going to get real old, real quick! :thud:
 
Well... I think I went 7 days before a shower @MsFit1 . Used baby wipes for cleaning. It was tolerable, but
first shower (as you know) felt amazing.....
I would do whatever you feel comfortable with.
 
Glad your ok and back home. You have done so well :). Keep being positive, but take your time. I'm on day 17 now and feel much better, no pain which is great after suffering for so long. I'm still using 2 crutches and walking short distances, but hopefully will increase the distances soon. Take care x


I had THR on 15 September 2014. Had to have a bone graft due to protrusion into the pelvic bone. Also found out I have "soft bones" and therefore have small fractures on my femur due to operation.
 
@MsFit1 I have the same showering restriction. They won't let me wash my hair and it's driving me nuts. Guess we will both have to endure! :tantrum:
 
@MsFit1 @Jaycey I washed my hair in the kitchen sink on day 5. The faucet was pretty high, I had my husband right beside me and a chair right behind me so I could sit down the minute I was finished. It was certainly tiring and I didn't do it every day but it did no harm.

My stitches were all dissolvable and I don't remember having a shower restriction but I was a good 10 days I think before I got up the courage and figured things out. Like Heidi, I used wet wipes twice a day to freshen up and had the odd sponge bath. I know there are others in my 'surgery group' that showered with staples a good few days before me and had no issues but for balance, I would wait a week at least.
 
Blah! No showers? For 10 days, two weeks? So glad no staples, and showers ok so long as don't wash incision area and dry bandage after - I'm gritting my teeth on no swimming (in public pool) for 8-12 weeks
 
I couldn't shower for two weeks. Just was told not to touch the staples at all. And like Carriemay I washed my hair in kitchen sink at about the week mark, not smoothly, but it worked. I was wondering if anyone else had to wait four weeks for staple removal ? Still have mine in for another five days per my OS instructions. Think they will just become a part of my leg soon. Haha


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks everyone for all the tips and encouragement. So I used baby wipes this morning like you did @MajorHeidi . But no matter how hard I scrub I still can't get the surgeon's darn pen marks off. He must have used some super-indelible ink! OK, then like @Carriemay60 and @Rhonda K I thought I'd wash my hair in the little bathroom sink. I should have got my husband to help me in this endeavor, but I didn't. I ended up making a gigantic mess. Worse, I got so dizzy sticking my head upside-down repeatedly under that little faucet trying to get all the shampoo and then all the conditioner rinsed out, all the while hanging on to my walker and the edge of the sink for dear life. It was exhausting!
 
Oh no, @Jaycey ! They won't even let you wash your hair! That's even worse! At least there's "Pssst" instant dry shampoo spray.
 
You're the lucky one @Me2 ! Nice warm showers and no staples to be yanked out. I'm jealous:snork:
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Me2
:sad: @Msfit That does not sound like such a great experience washing your hair at all. Try using the kitchen sink, the faucets normally sit much higher which should avoid you bending quite so far over & get your hubby to stand beside you with your towel in case you get dizzy. To save a step, you might get a 'leave-in conditioner' or if you get out get it washed at a hairdresser ~ that felt like such a treat to get it washed thoroughly! I had pink paint between my toes for weeks!
 
Good thinking @Carriemay60 ! I took your advice and my husband helped me wash my hair in the big kitchen sink with the nice pull out spray faucet. Much better! :curtsey:
 
Well, the physical therapist has been here whipping me into shape for the last three days. Today she took me off the walker, and put me on the cane already! She had me walking up and down the driveway. The anterior method is truly amazing!
 
Wow you are having an amazing recovery. It seems there is quite a difference between anterior and posterior like I had. I know I will catch up eventually but not yet. But great that you are having a successful recovery. Keep it going and let us know?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom