PoetryChef
senior
Goodness! Two weeks from today I will be in recovery for the first of my two knee replacements. I am beginning to settle into the idea of recovery. I'm sure the knees will be knocking (ugh, terrible pun) come surgery day. Perhaps they will have mercy with a Valium to ease the nerves that morning.
I just sent the nurse for my OS a rather long list of questions regarding my surgery experience. I guess when it is all said and done I am just ready to get home which will happen after Thanksgiving. If you have been following my thread you know I will spend a bit of time with my parents for the initial grueling part of recovery. My mother was a cardiac nurse at Duke and will take good care of me. My other half is a chef and will make sure I have what I need in that department.
Today I ordered ten pounds of grass fed beef bones to make a lovely two-day-simmered bone broth for recovery. That and Arnica (and ice, elevation and taking meds as prescribed) are my secret weapons.
I purchased a snuggly soft electric twin blanket, a bed tray, a husband pillow (excellent idea @SpaceGirl), a walking cane suggested by home pt, and am in process of buying a vintage used red recliner for my bedroom--my favorite super power color. I'll need my super powers to get through these two bionic leg surgeries and recovery.
In short, I am optimistic and scared. A friend and her husband are actually getting their own HGTV show which will premier the night before my first surgery. I'll watch that, get a nice hot shower, put on new jammies and awaken to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m.(it shares the parking lot of the Marriott where my parents have reserved a suite for the week. My mom is going to be watching like a hawk. No doubt about that.)
Things bothering me:
The thought of tourniquets times 2
I have not watched a video of this surgery--I would wimp out for sure.
The long drive home
Will the pain be manageable?
Balancing PT
Nausea, etc. from anesthesia times two
Oh, and the thought of going through it again in 48 hours. The times two part of this.
I just sent the nurse for my OS a rather long list of questions regarding my surgery experience. I guess when it is all said and done I am just ready to get home which will happen after Thanksgiving. If you have been following my thread you know I will spend a bit of time with my parents for the initial grueling part of recovery. My mother was a cardiac nurse at Duke and will take good care of me. My other half is a chef and will make sure I have what I need in that department.
Today I ordered ten pounds of grass fed beef bones to make a lovely two-day-simmered bone broth for recovery. That and Arnica (and ice, elevation and taking meds as prescribed) are my secret weapons.
I purchased a snuggly soft electric twin blanket, a bed tray, a husband pillow (excellent idea @SpaceGirl), a walking cane suggested by home pt, and am in process of buying a vintage used red recliner for my bedroom--my favorite super power color. I'll need my super powers to get through these two bionic leg surgeries and recovery.
In short, I am optimistic and scared. A friend and her husband are actually getting their own HGTV show which will premier the night before my first surgery. I'll watch that, get a nice hot shower, put on new jammies and awaken to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m.(it shares the parking lot of the Marriott where my parents have reserved a suite for the week. My mom is going to be watching like a hawk. No doubt about that.)
Things bothering me:
The thought of tourniquets times 2
I have not watched a video of this surgery--I would wimp out for sure.
The long drive home
Will the pain be manageable?
Balancing PT
Nausea, etc. from anesthesia times two
Oh, and the thought of going through it again in 48 hours. The times two part of this.
United States
I wouldn’t want to do it again. However, you will, so take comfort in the knowledge you will at least have it over with early. Many people wait a few months, at which point they’re feeling lots better and have to revisit the whole thing. 
. Sounds like a plot for 
Ugh, then cheers!
