Moving Forward On Two New (Conformis) Knees

Today marks fifteen days before I leave for South Carolina, sixteen days before pre-op and the joint class, seventeen days before surgery one and nineteen days before surgery two.

I can hardly sleep. How do I make it to day twenty?
 
I can hardly sleep. How do I make it to day twenty?
Try to keep busy.
Prepare your house, pre-cook and freeze some meals, save magazines and books, start a sedentary hobby that you will be able to do during your "down time", choose and store TV programs and series to watch.

I went to the theatre the night before my last TKR, so I wasn't fretting all evening.
 
Today is the last full inventory in my store where I cook for the entire staff. Days like this support having knee replacement. So much pain just standing and each step forward is on locked knees. I cannot wait to go home to shower, ice and elevate. Tylenol is currently my best friend.
 
These next days will be rough because you will likely be busy on bad knees. When the pain becomes too much, remember you will get the better of your painful knees soon. You will get rid of the arthritis and sheath your bone ends with marvelous material. (If ever I travel back in time, that is how I plan to put it.) Modern medical science for the win!

Hope your time of waiting passes quickly. :)
 
Thank you, SusieShoes. At home now, showered, more Tylenol, elevating on the Lounge Doctor and iced. Amazing what just being home does for the spirit. Pounding concrete for ten hours straight is more than I can manage at this point. I am looking forward to healing.

I see you are an author. That is my next life. My second degree was in creative writing.

Thank you as always for your kind words.
 
Stopping in on your thread! I didn't realize you had one or I would have visited sooner! I am with on the days flying by! I am at day 24 and can't believe how much I still need to get done! I am glad you got home and are resting now. I noticed you're having your surgery in SC, I grew up there, in a smallish town called Newberry, about an hour from Columbia. I miss home. I'll have to check back and see where you're at in NC, my sister was born in Salisbury.

ETA: I see now, Raleigh. My grandmother has family there, I've been to visit, but that was over 20 years ago now lol
 
Yes, to Columbia. Yikes! I am at sixteen and eighteen days. Today I am organizing at work. Almost like cleaning your house before vacation. Lord help me.
 
Tonight I busied myself at work getting ready for my last day next Friday. I have exactly nine more days before the two day off (weekend) prior to leaving for Columbia on the 6th. So, 16 and 18 days before I have two new knees. My surgeon will not perform both knees during the same surgery. As a result I get two spinals and two rounds of general anesthesia. I am having a bit of difficulty getting my script filled for the long-acting Nucynta. Insurance approval required.

Next Thursday I will meet with my primary to give her an update. She will work in conjunction with my surgeon to make sure I have what I need post surgery. My surgeon apparently does not prescribe a step-down med after the narcotic nor a sleeping aid. I'm not so sure Tylenol and Tylenol PM will get me through this after three weeks.

My father and I were talking today about the return three and a half hour trip in his van. I thought that it might be best to try to lie down in the back on the way home but he pretty much nixed that idea with a "you'll feel every bump in the road." Then we pondered how to get in and out of the back. I cannot imagine sitting in the front seat with my legs down for all that time. Certainly don't want to do anything to make the swelling race out of control. Any suggestions?
 
Regarding the naming of knees. Every animal in my house is either named after a poet or painter. I may just name my knees Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning or perhaps after the medieval lovers, Helouise and Abelard. Whatever I name them will certainly be named after a pair mated for life. I'm an ever optimist that way.
 
I wouldn’t think you would need to lay in the van but you will want your leg elevated to some level. Is it a full size van or a mini van? If a seat could be folded down could you put your leg up on it, like a living room footstool?
Or, if the seat folds to the floor, put a footstool in front of you.

I’m picturing a van with 3 rows of seating and you in the far back with your leg elevated on the middle row area.

It can/will be tricky getting in and out if that spot though. I rode in the back seat of my Matrix a few times and getting in and out with a painful leg and using my arms so much was one of the reasons I developed acute tendinitis in my shoulder 1 week post op, which was more painful than the knee!

I found that a footstool almost as high as my seat was a comfortable height. Lower than that didn’t work, it made my leg straight which quickly became painful. You do want a slight bend in your knee.
 
Pain control is something you can adjust after surgery as you determine your needs. You may or may not need a strong pain med after three weeks. You may or may not need a step-down drug. My OS was prepared to prescribe Tramadol for me after three weeks, but... I did just fine with Tylenol at that point. You won't really know until you get to three weeks, though it's important to know your OS or PCP has your back if you do need something.

As for transport... you have options. If you can fit a mattress in the back of the van, you might not notice the bumps in the road so much. Most vans aren't large enough for that, though. Sitting across the back or middle seats also works. Or the way Jockette describes. Bring some big firm pillows to fill in any gaps or to use behind your back if needed.

Another option is to sit in the front passenger seat (seat far back and reclined a bit) and make frequent stops for you to get out and stretch your legs. Probably the least comfy --getting in and out will be awkward and painful, perhaps-- but doable if all else fails. I rode home that way for one half hour and was quite stiff at the end of the ride, but you'll be stiff whatever method you use.

Why not try out some of the options ahead of time to see how it might feel (your body position, etc., because it's not only the knees that will be subjected to it)? Then if you need pillows, etc. you'll be prepared.

There is no truly comfortable way to make a three hour trip on newly replaced knees. Home will certainly feel like heaven once you get there! :happydance:
 
I'm just thinking that lying in the back without a set belt is not a good idea.

I like SusieShoes' idea of trying out various ways before your surgery.
 
I didn't think it was much of a good idea either. I'll just put my legs across both of the middle seats and have some sort of support beneath them. Then spend the next three days in elevation. I am more concerned with the return trip than almost anything. Thank you.
 
Time is ticking by! I think I would try (if this works in their van) is to fold the front passenger seat forward to a flat surface and sit behind in the second row. Then prop your legs up on the seat to elevate and use big pillows or similar under your legs for the support. I am going to try this in our van if our seat folds forward, need to figure that out!
 
Gosh. I'm concerned about getting back to the third row with two new knees. I think I will give it a test run tomorrow. :climb:
 
Tonight I taught my last cooking with kids class. I have the next two days off and then work straight through to next Friday. After that, the mad dash to clean, pack, shop a little and hopefully visit a few loved ones.

Then the small feat of two new knees followed by twelve weeks until I return to work.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
 
Best wishes to you!

My surgeon’s office called me 10 days before my surgery, they had a spot open up a week sooner, did I want it? I had to make a snap decision, I was out of town for the day with a friend and couldn’t double check with my husband first, so I just said yes! I said to my friend, I wonder why that person’s surgery got cancelled. She said, “someone more scared than you?”

So now I only had 4 days to finish up my preparations. It was time to panic!!! And panic I did!

I still had some household shopping to do. I stocked up on any non perishable item I thought we’d need for the next month or 2, figuring the less things we had to buy for a while, the easier for both my husband and I.

But I got it all done and was ready!
 
I initially asked to be on a cancellation list but the likelihood of two people canceling at the same time was slim. Now things seem to be winding down and I'll do the best I can.
 
Gosh, I was just on Amazon looking at raised toilet seats. Help! Any suggestions?
 
Back
Top Bottom