BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION TKR] Motherbone's Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Motherbone, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Sounds like you are done with OT, you can work on balance at home and control the intensity to keep your knee happy.

2. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I would agree with you that 4x/week is too much and that it's a good idea to "listen to the shoulders" like we say about the knees. :)

3. Motherbone

Motherbone member

I had my two week followup with the ankle doctor this afternoon. Xrays look good. There is a big bone callus formed over the fibula fracture and a smaller but distinct one around the tibia fracture, which is younger than the fibula. The doc said the healing looks very good for this early stage. They had to remove the cast to do the Xrays and a new one was placed afterwards. I am to go back in three weeks for follow up. He seemed to think I would object to continuing in the cast but I told him I prefer it to the boot. It is not as heavy and it immobilizes much better. He agreed with cutting back on the OT maneuvers, saying that I have "a lot of things going on," and there was no need to stress the other leg right now. He also told me it would be OK to take Aleve once in a while for my arthritis, and that I could re-start a biologic for it if my rheumatology doctor says OK (I have an appointment with her next week).

I've had a morbid and somewhat neurotic fear that I'll never walk on that foot again and I asked him straight out if, based on what he has seen in my ankle, I would be able to walk on it again. He said yes. He also referenced eventually straightening out the knee, for the future. I left the appointment feeling positive.

I tried to call the home health OT person afterwards to put further appointment on hold, but she has not called me back. Guess we will end up having the discussion tomorrow in person. Wish me luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I agree that it sounds like a positive appointment. I was in your shoes for 6-8 weeks in '17. I was angry, and screamed and yelled at God. Then I cried like a baby for weeks asking, "Why me?" Once I got all that out of my system I settled down and did what I had to do to heal and get back on two feet. I did it and you can do it, too! You will look back on it as something you went through so you can help other people through it, too! You are a strong lady and will beat it! You will come out even stronger!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Motherbone

Motherbone member

@sistersinhim Thank you for sharing your experience. It really resonates with mine. I was so angry when the first fracture was diagnosed because I had to cancel my left TKR. When the second fracture occurred the pain was so bad that at times I felt like a dog that had been hit by a car and left on the side of the road. I kept asking why me, and then there began to be horrible national events on the news and I started asking why all of this as well. It was a pretty significant soul crisis for me. I've been doing some reading and spiritual exercises and a friend has helped me by giving me some guidance and things to ponder on during this time. I'm gaining insights slowly. I have to remind myself that although I feel like I am wasting time and just "marking time," something beyond me is going on. Thanks again.

I settled up with OT without incident and I'll be doing PT twice a week. Chair exercises that focus on my core, a little on my back, and hips/glutes/quads. They actually tire me in a good way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Ilovecruising

Ilovecruising junior member

Oh my goodness, Motherbone! I had not been on this site for about 4 months so I’m just reading your thread! Everything that you have gone through is heartbreaking! And to have gone through all that you have, and still have such a positive attitude is truly an inspiration. The more I read on your story, I noticed just how much that it resonates with mine! After i’d read one of your post, I couldn’t wait to scroll down to read your next post to see what happened next. I’ve also been diagnosed with a stress fracture recently and very concerned about how it’s going to come out. I might have missed it, but did they do a surgery on your ankle before they put the cast on? I think I have finally found another ortho doctor that will see me. Im having my records sent to him now. I’ve been in a boot for several weeks but now I’m wondering if he might put me in a cast.
    I hope everything goes well with your fracture and that you will be able to get the other knee surgery soon! I’m thinking about you and will be following your thread for updates!
    Keep up the positive thinking!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Motherbone

Motherbone member

Not a lot of earth shaking news but I thought I would just post an update.

I continue without pain in my left ankle short leg cast (hot pink, no less!) and tool around the house in a power chair. It's not really designed for outside use but it's great for mobility inside because it has a very tight turning radius. My left foot and toes tend to swell if I don't elevate that leg every 3 to 4 hours, which does result in some discomfort until the swelling goes down. I continue to keep my right leg, the one with the patella repair, in my old brace because it has to support me when I get up from the chair or bed to go to the bathroom and I don't want to unwittingly strain it. I do wonder if I'll end up with a stronger right leg when this is over, LOL. Funny, I hated that brace when I first got it, but now it's my best friend. Coming up and down from the toilet using one leg continues to be a scary adventure and I'm having to protect my shoulders whenever I can. I have intermittent pain in the areas of my biceps tendons but lidocaine patches and Aleve have provided some relief.

Home health PT is coming twice a week and is actually helpful in showing me exercises I can do in the chair. I've had some attempts by home health OT to come back so I'm going to call their central office tomorrow and make it clear that I do not think I need that service and do not want it. Cynically, I believe that revenue issues drive a lot of that sort of thing. We had company over this past weekend for my husband's birthday and I believe a good time was had by all. I'm staying inside most of the time because here in Texas we are in the middle of major heat and I don't want to sweat under this cast!! Hoping no hurricanes or tropical storms make their way to us....Still sleep only up to 3 hours at a time, I guess that is my new normal, sigh.

Some boredom has bedevilled me. Yesterday I cleaned out half of my chest of drawers and generated a sack of clothes for Good Will. Then I started on some drawers in the sideboard of our den but my husband stopped me because it was near dinner (I was really on a roll). I'm planning on tackling the insides of the sofa end tables next. Our spare room still looks like a dump but I can't do anything there until we can put back some of the furniture we had to move out of the way so I could wheel around.

Every night I pray, "Here I am, I made it another day." So far I'm three weeks and five days in the cast. I go back to the ankle doctor on September 9th. I will have been in the cast a little more than six weeks by then. @Ilovecruising I have not had any surgery on the ankle and devoutly hope to avoid it. The surgery on my left knee will take place whenever it is deemed safe to do so; I'm not pegging any specific schedule any more. Just going to live this as it unfolds.

Here's hoping for good things for all of us. Hobble on! :tiredwheel:

• Like Like x 1