Not a lot of earth shaking news but I thought I would just post an update.
I continue without pain in my left ankle short leg cast (hot pink, no less!) and tool around the house in a power chair. It's not really designed for outside use but it's great for mobility inside because it has a very tight turning radius. My left foot and toes tend to swell if I don't elevate that leg every 3 to 4 hours, which does result in some discomfort until the swelling goes down. I continue to keep my right leg, the one with the patella repair, in my old brace because it has to support me when I get up from the chair or bed to go to the bathroom and I don't want to unwittingly strain it. I do wonder if I'll end up with a stronger right leg when this is over, LOL. Funny, I hated that brace when I first got it, but now it's my best friend. Coming up and down from the toilet using one leg continues to be a scary adventure and I'm having to protect my shoulders whenever I can. I have intermittent pain in the areas of my biceps tendons but lidocaine patches and Aleve have provided some relief.
Home health PT is coming twice a week and is actually helpful in showing me exercises I can do in the chair. I've had some attempts by home health OT to come back so I'm going to call their central office tomorrow and make it clear that I do not think I need that service and do not want it. Cynically, I believe that revenue issues drive a lot of that sort of thing. We had company over this past weekend for my husband's birthday and I believe a good time was had by all. I'm staying inside most of the time because here in Texas we are in the middle of major heat and I don't want to sweat under this cast!! Hoping no hurricanes or tropical storms make their way to us....Still sleep only up to 3 hours at a time, I guess that is my new normal, sigh.
Some boredom has bedevilled me. Yesterday I cleaned out half of my chest of drawers and generated a sack of clothes for Good Will. Then I started on some drawers in the sideboard of our den but my husband stopped me because it was near dinner (I was really on a roll). I'm planning on tackling the insides of the sofa end tables next. Our spare room still looks like a dump but I can't do anything there until we can put back some of the furniture we had to move out of the way so I could wheel around.
Every night I pray, "Here I am, I made it another day." So far I'm three weeks and five days in the cast. I go back to the ankle doctor on September 9th. I will have been in the cast a little more than six weeks by then.
@Ilovecruising I have not had any surgery on the ankle and devoutly hope to avoid it. The surgery on my left knee will take place whenever it is deemed safe to do so; I'm not pegging any specific schedule any more. Just going to live this as it unfolds.
Here's hoping for good things for all of us. Hobble on!
