Well, here I am, six months after my right TKR and almost five months after my injury. I had an appointment with my surgeon this past week. He expressed satisfaction with my progress. He commented that the goals that had been set were "modest" and that I had met most of them. I showed him my difficulties with hyper-extension of the operated knee, how it tends to bow back and results in my locking my knee, and told him how, if I try to resist the motion, the knee then buckles. He said he was unsure of the reason for that happening, as he had not noted any posterior joint capsule damage during the surgery back in October. I did feel a little better hearing that, as I had some concerns that something was missed. He mentioned that another surgery to revise the implant could be done to try to correct the hyper-extension, but it was not his recommendation and it is definitely not what I want. There is so much scar tissue in my knee right now that most of the time I feel like there is a big rubber band encircling it, so the last thing I want is for it to be cut open again!
My physical therapist thinks that my muscles are still out of balance and that my quads and glutes are not firing properly during the part of my gait when my leg swings forward and my heel makes contact with the ground, resulting in hyper-extension backwards and locking of the knee. She has broken my gait down into several phases and has me focusing on consciously contracting quads and glutes when I step forward, which does in fact keep the knee in a more neutral position without locking in extension. The idea is that eventually this becomes less conscious and more entrained; I guess that is why it is called gait training. The doctor suggested that in addition to this, I wear the brace briefly during the day with the hinge set so as to prevent any extension, in order to give myself a sense of what the leg should feel like during my gait, and something to aim for without the brace. I've done that twice so far and it does help as well.
Overall I came away from the visit feeling a little more pessimistic than usual because the doctor didn't seem to have anything additional that he wanted me to achieve. I go back in three months. I sincerely hope that this isn't as good as it gets. I want to at least be able to stop using a walker. On the plus side, I am doing better with stamina and have graduated to riding the little scooters that the grocery and Costco provide, instead of using my wheelchair. I know my knee will never be normal, never be what it was before the replacement surgery, or never feel as good as it did before it was wrecked by the first PT program. But hopefully there is still room for improvement.