Revision TKR Motherbone's Recovery Thread

Woke up this morning with mild intermittent pain on the outside of my operative knee that I hadn't had before. I think one of the PT assignments is responsible so I'm not doing that one anymore. The pain went away with reduced activity today. Interestingly, my unoperated knee seems to be doing better and I believe it's benefiting from some of the PT exercises. My flexion measured at 65 degrees yesterday. I still have Doctor-prescribed mobility restrictions, which in my case include weight bearing only with a walker and the brace. Going back to work with a walker is not really a good idea, so I'm still out. Unfortunately, my work situation has become tenuous and I'm not sure what the final outcome will be. Apparently there is a reorganization being implemented. I'm 67 and not dependent on employment for health insurance anymore, and we took stock of our finances and we think we will be okay without my employment. It just feels weird to contemplate not working because I've had some kind of job since I was 18 years old. But maybe having a lifestyle that I can self-direct instead of always having to accommodate someone else will be a good thing. Any feedback or tips about making the transition from full time employment would be appreciated!
 
@Motherbone what a wonderful crossroad you are at! You may not return to where you were but use this time to explore hobbies you are passionate about and see if one of them you could do to bring in pocket cash when you are ready. I’ve had 2 friends turn their hobbies and skills into profitable little side businesses and they are now soooo happy!
You have the freedom to tend to the most important thing right now-you- if you don’t have the financial stress hanging over you.
Sounds like your good knee is afraid of the bad one and hitchhiking on the exercising to avoid ever having to go through that experience. “I’ll be good mom! I promise!”
 
I’d retire in a heartbeat if I could. So much to enjoy in life besides work, and I’ve been working since I was 17.
Being able to focus on your health without worrying about work is a wonderful blessing, I say go for it!:friends:

New opportunities may well arise,too as @traceys suggested. But take your time:)
 
I am still working full time. Understand totally how you feel since been working since I was sixteen. Working from home has it’s value. It that a possibility with your employment? If I had to drive to work with all it’s hazards, I would of retired a long time ago!
 
I'm 65 and was self employed for a long time. When I sold my retail business I sat on the beach for a few years figuring out what to do. Eventually I took a part time job in retail. It was great! I continued to do what I was good at with no pressure. Unfortunately, the knees gave out and I went back to sitting on the beach LOL!
You can do whatever you wish when you retire. Or nothing at all. It's an exciting time!
 
Well, here I am at 14 weeks and 2 days since my repair and revision surgery. In PT today I walked, very tentatively, without my walker. We also practiced rising from a chair, an activity for which I have PTSD since I associate it with injury and pain. However, these folks are so good, I'm getting tips about how to approach that movement in small steps. They really do pay attention to the psychological side of recovery. I am to bring in my cane next week, I guess for practice. I still have difficulty standing up straight and can empathize with others who are reporting back pain. I hope continuing exercise will help me in this area since I spent nine weeks basically seated while my kneecap healed and the muscles of my back and hips are atrophied and tight. I have achieved 70 degrees knee flexion with the final goal of 90 in sight. I can do most basic ADL's without help though cooking is challenging, I get very tired and my back hurts a lot if I walk more than half a block, and I still can't drive. We bought a chair with arms which I can use to assist me in rising, so I can sit at the breakfast table like normal instead of in a wheelchair, and don't have to ask my husband for a pull up. Speaking of which, I now only use the chair for long distances. Overall I've made a lot of strides yet still have work to do. I had a moment of epiphany a few days ago where I realized on a gut level that I am ready for my next act. It was literally like my brain mentally turned to see a new path. I've spent countless minutes mulling over my employment options and the end of that particular chapter of my life is still being written, so stay tuned. Hoping all of us have a good night. Despite melatonin and Trazodone, I still wake up every three hours, so I hope the rest of you get better sleep! Motherbone says, Hobble on, over and out!
:tiredwheel:
 
That’s huge progress!! :loveshwr:

I’m so happy to hear they are considerate of your trepidation over some tasks. I can completely understand and sympathize with you on that.

You have such a good outlook on things that I just know the best is yet to come for you!!
 
@Motherbone I read with interest about the possibility of you retiring . I also retired earlier than I had anticipated and though I did not need to work, I felt very unsure of what to do. I did sleep a lot for the first three months and had the cleanest house on the block. That was a first and last time in my life! After that I worked a number of temp or part time jobs. In my working life I had worked as a computer programmer and technical support. I did not want to do anything stressful. For a while I worked as a cashier in a grocery store. That was so much fun, I felt like a kid playing store! Later I took a job transcribing audio files for the police. That was extremely entertaining. Lastly I worked as a mystery shopper. That was really fun! I don't work for money anymore. I volunteer in a care facility and I plan our trips. There are so many opportunities out there I hope you find what will make you happy in retirement.
 
Like the old tv ad (can't remember the product):
You've come a long way, baby!

I've taken Trazadone at night for many years. 50 mg. When that wasn't helping doc pushed it up to 75 mg. 1 1/2 tabs.
Check with your doc to see if it can be increased slightly.
I'm back to 50 mg now.
 
Today I declared my independence from the soft immobilizer I've been using in the shower while covering it with a plastic trash bag and big Velcro straps. The contraption was never totally water-tight and the immobilizer was starting to smell bad, plus I was just tired of the extra time it was taking to put it all on before I could even start to wash up. I decided that since I'm past the prohibition to bend my knee at all and in fact am at 80 degrees flexion while ambulating around in my hard brace, I could safely sit in the shower without it, with my leg propped up on my shower stool. I didn't totally throw caution to the winds, though. I wore a clean short immobilizer into the bathroom, then took it off when I was seated, and I dried my leg off and put it back on just to walk back to the bedroom when I was finished. It felt so wonderful to be able to not worry about where the hot water was spraying, to be able to actually wash that leg instead of wiping it down afterwards, and to no longer have to haul around a wet smelly immobilizer afterward! RIP Valpeau immobilizer, you served me well and have earned your rest.

I realize this probably sounds like a little thing, but every scrap of normal life that I am able to reclaim is now so very meaningful to me.

Seeing my surgeon for follow up on Wednesday so I'll post again afterwards.

Hobble on. :tiredwheel:
 
I hope you have a good appointment on Wednesday.
 
This accomplishment is by no means a little thing.
It is great news!!! :wowspring:
 
That's a large step forward in your recovery! I know you are celebrating!
 
Well, the appointment reflected progress. I'm allowed to leave the brace and may begin cane training as tolerated, though based on my early forays today, I will need to strengthen my right leg within the protection of the walker at first. There is some scar tissue that restricts flexion and he said that can be massaged as long as the kneecap area is avoided. My physical therapist says for at least this next week I should use the brace at home except for doing a few exercises that practice gait and weight bearing, using the walker and staying close to the bed or couch for fall precautions, and she will then establish a schedule for gradually easing out of it. She is also going to start work on my back to improve my gait since I'm having so much trouble holding myself upright when I walk. The doctor indicated I could also start work on stairs but I don't think I'm ready just yet so I'll work on strengthening first. He did prohibit use of any weights and seemed ambivalent about resistance bands so my PT is going to stay away from those devices in the operative leg. Overall things are still moving forward!
 
:loveshwr:
I am so happy for you!! This is such great news to have a plan and path and team working for you.

Can’t wait to see what you accomplish first now
 
And I forgot to add that I got my hair highlighted and cut this afternoon after PT. first hairstyling in two and a half months. I feel so much better now.
It's amazing how good a visit to the hairstylist can make a girl feel! Great that you got to go and got 'fixed up'!
 
I had another phone conference with work. What was offered to replace my phased out job is basically a demotion and they sounded nervous about my difficulties walking (questioning how would I get down the stairs if the elevator broke, for example), though I've clarified that I believe I am recovering my functioning. I chose not to confront their concerns and press a case for ADA accommodations because there are also major reorganizations going on in other departments, as there has been a change of administrative leadership, and the work milieu is beginning to sound a little toxic. So, I decided it is time for me to leave rather than cling to something that's not there anymore. On Monday my husband and I are going to my office to pick up my personal items and give my two week notice. I will then schedule my exit interview with HR. I worked there many years in a variety of departments and I had a good run. Perhaps something nice will come my way. I know I can recover but it's not going to be fast enough to satisfy some people. It's a bit of a relief to resolve this uncertainty.

On the physical side, I'm walking the house and doing some gentle stretch and strengthening exercises. I've been rewarded with muscle cramps in my calves which kept me up last night. Anybody with home remedies for leg calf charlyhorses? Hoping to sleep a little better tonight.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom