Guest viewing is limited

THR MoM resurfacing converted to ceramic dual mobility.

Hope you are feeling better and getting back on track.:ok:
It may seem slow but well worth the patience.
Hope today is a good day:SUNsmile:
 
Through my hip recovery journey...I had many aches, zings, odd sensations that by the time I would become concerned would ease and then find another place to reside. :shrug:
Our bodies healing and adjusting to a good new hip can cause some traveling niggles, I suppose.
I was always worried something might be collateral damage from my BTHR, but the forum kept me grounded while I struggled with patience.
I was ready to get back to a normal life before my hips were and I had to constantly reset my expectations.

Best thing is, I am better than I was fifteen years ago and now I can do this.
:chuckmarch:lol...
 
Quick update. Started walking outside 2 times a day maybe a quarter block. I am adding a little more each day. I am walking fine no aids, no limp.

Still getting a decent amount of swelling mainly from the incision back into the higher glute area. Also, some down the IT band. Have a little bit of pain in the glute again. Its definitely higher than the piriformis area of pain.

The positives at 6 weeks.
-- joint feels totally natural better than my resurfaced hip ever did. Not sure if it's do to the dual mobility devise.My resurfaced hip would always make noises and feel like something was sliding.
-- old chronic groin, lateral and mostly all glute pain gone from the failed resurfacing.
-- I can tie my shoes and put on socks no problem.

Remaining issues are some start up discomfort, swelling and upper glute pain. All in all definitely feel I did the right thing removing the metal on metal resurfacing femoral cap. I am still icing all day and taking some anti inflammatories in the am.

I have a televisit with my surgeon at 8am. I will go over how I feel and what I can and cant do at this point. The weather is in the 80s here in Miami, hopefully I can get in the pool. This helped my recoveries in the past.

It's been 6 weeks since the surgery so I can't expect to be 100 percent.

Thanks,

Larry
 
Last edited:
Happy Thursday! :wave:
How did your tele-visit go? Hopefully well and all your questions or concerns were addressed.

The start up discomfort and swelling are common and sound normal at this stage. I’m guessing your surgeon reassured you of that. I hope you receive a nod from your surgeon before you access a swimming pool. Mine was rather strict about it and basically cautioned me not to go into a bath, pool, hot tub or natural body of water until I was three months post op. I felt this was a bit extreme and believe I’ve only come across a handful of people in my time here, if even, that were advised the same. Just hoping you checked with your surgeon.

Have a wonderful day! :)
@ljpviper
 
Had the televisit. He stated the swelling is normal at this stage. Got a prescription for Celebrex, as it's easier on the stomach.

He lifted all restrictions other than high impact. Generally he was very happy as my case was very hard to diagnose. Pretty cool he sent the cut femoral stem with the femoral cap to Dr. Su in NY office. They are trying to figure out why it failed so early, basically a case study.
 
Sounds like you are doing great for 6 weeks @ljpviper! Little things like being able to tie your shoe don't seem like much to most people, but us Hippies know what a huge sense of accomplishment tying your shoes the first time is.
 
Thought I would give a quick 7 week update. Tried to walk up the stairs in my house normal yesterday. I have just been doing one leg at a time. My hip did not like it, started swelling up again. More ice and elevation. I will never buy a two story house again, lol.

Noticed the scar getting a little harder, might be do to the inflammation and sitting for work. Also, I have to be careful with ice burns, as some time the ice bag tends to slip on bare skin. Attached photos of the scar, seems normal. Probably just getting paranoid.

Thanks,

Larry
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] MoM resurfacing converted to ceramic dual mobility.
    image.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 211
  • [Bonesmart.org] MoM resurfacing converted to ceramic dual mobility.
    image.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 230
:mcoffee: good morning, Larry.

Looks to me like it is healing well :ok:
Can't believe how my scars have finally lost the little lumps and bumps and are basically pale lines.

I can't really remember when I was able to do alot of stairs without going "toddler style"...but like you...tried it some early on, and decided my hips weren't quite ready for it.
You will get there.
Hope today is a good day.:SUNsmile:
 
I am at 9 weeks, still dealing with the daily swelling. Getting the start up pain around my hip and glute, possibly due to the continued swelling?

I can walk with no limp and range is good, tie my shoes,etc. My daily excersising consist of two daily walks of 12 minutes each. My impatience is setting in, I wonder if I should start excersising the hip more. Taking just one Celebrex in the am and still icing and elevating.Errrr these recoveries are so frustrating.

Thanks,

Larry
 
@ljpviper At only nine weeks out you sound like you are on track. Swelling can continue for many months. Just keep icing to get this under control.
My daily excersising consist of two daily walks of 12 minutes each.
Why not increase you walking distance. Do this gradually so that you don't have a setback. Healing hips don't really need a lot of exercise. Walking is the best therapy.
 
Got an appointment tomorrow with HSS. They called to see how I was doing on Monday and I stated I still had a big pocket of inflammation on the side/back of the hip. I also have pain laterally and slight glute pain. So they want to see me.

I think I have a case of trochanter bursitis, I have all the pain patterns and stiffness. Hopefully he can inject it and move along. Looking at the location of the bursa of the trochanter, its very close to the cut of the femoral head.

Will update tomorrow.

Thanks,

Larry
 
Best of luck to you, Larry.
Please update us, we’ll be here.
Sorry about the pain you’re dealing with, wishing you comfort.
@ljpviper
 
Had my visit with my OS at HSS yesterday. Took another xray, I guess thats standard protocol for them.

We compared the 3 week to the 3 month xray and the components looked great. He then looked at the pocket of swelling I have from the incision to the back of my glute. He was not overly concerned, he stated some people have swelling over a longer course in there recovery. Its definitely swelling over the trochanter, he administered a cortisone shot.

So in the end he stated keep an eye on it if it's still swollen in a month he would like to get it drained. I think cause I have had 2 other surgeries in that right hip I might be a slow healer.

All in all not bad I just have to really take my recovery slow.

Thanks

Larry
 
Slow and easy is just the right approach @ljpviper, glad to hear you OS visit went well.
 
The injection seems to have brought the swelling down. Hip feels pretty good. Going to take it easy this weekend.

Thanks.

Larry
 
Hello Larry,
Good news on the injection! Fingers crossed it continues to ease. :fingersx:
Hope your weekend is a relaxing one.
@ljpviper
 
Yep, seems like the injection started working. Swelling has gone down, very little pain from the lateral part of my hip.

Just got to watch my psoas/hip flexor it can get cranky quick.

Thanks,

Larry
 
Figured I'd give a 6 month update. Mostly all good riding mountain bike 4 days a week for 7 miles each ride. I go to PT once a week, we have been gradually getting my hip strength back. Also, started back at the gym mainly upper body weights.

Its still very easy to over work my hip flexor. I guess that is one of the main drawbacks of anterior surgery. In retrospect I think the posterior surgery gave less lingering issues after 6 weeks. I still have some numbness and tingling on my quad.

All in all the surgery was a success I have zero glute pain and feel better. Hopefully I keep improving, its definitely better to take a slow methodical approach.

Thanks,

Larry
 
Thanks for the update! You’re doing well and at not quite six months post op you still have time on your side for improvement. All the best as you continue the journey, Larry. :)
@ljpviper
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom