THR MoM resurfacing converted to ceramic dual mobility.

Yeah, I figured. New point of of entry comes with new pain.

Thanks.

Larry
 
I am 10 days out of surgery. Hip is still swollen, although less than last week. Had fever on and off for the last few days highest it got was 100, then went back down.

Only pain left is on the front where the surgeon made the incision. I can walk without any crutches, but I am still sticking with them till I have the follow up in 2 weeks. I am just doing the basic heel slides and quad excersises for now.

They did not mention too much on the bandage covering the wound. In the booklet they give out it says leave it on till the 2 week appointment. Since mine is in 3 I will leave it on. All the glute pain and lateral pain on my hip is gone. So it was wise to remove the HR devise, I am sure the metallosis was causing some pain as well.

Happy Holidays to all.

Larry
 
Glad to hear you are feeling better and the gluteal and lateral hip pain is gone. :yes!:
 
Sounds like everything is on track @ljpviper. Slow and easy plus lots of ice will serve you well.
 
Thanks for sharing your story. Happy to hear your recovery is going well. I too thought about resurfacing. In the end I decided against specifically because of stories like yours. I knew I'd always be worrying about what may be going on inside. Of course there can still be issues with THR but the metal on metal was a risk I wasn't comfortable with. Hope your 2021 is great!
 
I did alot of research on hip resurfacing prior to the operation. The chance of getting metalosis was so low. I went to a top surgeon as well.

It was a shock that I had the metailic green film all over my hip joint. The mris showed nothing and my cobalt and chromium level in my blood were always low. My inflammation marker was always high after the hip resurfacing. I go back to HSS in 10 days, definitely review his findings. They have photos of the surgery. Must be standard protocol.

Thanks,

Larry
 
Thought I would give a quick three week update. I go back to HSS for my three week follow up tomorrow. Been doing the basic excersises and just walking in the house with crutches. I am avoiding any straight leg raises. I had psoas tendonitis after my first scope and also with my resurfacing.

I live in Miami so decided to get out of the house yesterday. Took a ride down to Key Largo to get some lunch. I did not take the crutches, figured I would tough it out. So all in all walked for maybe 10 minutes total, plus 2 hours in the car sitting. I did not drive. At week three it was too much, I think the sitting in the car and restaurant(total 3 hours) angered my hip. It's definitely more swollen than yesterday, pain is not too bad.

A lot of people try to rush there recovery cause they feel fine myself included. Goes to show you a simple outing can cause a minor setback. I am icing and elevating all day today. On my HSS packet it states I can take up to two Aleves a day. I guess they feel that won't interfere with bone growth.

Looking forward to tomorrow's meeting with the surgeon.

Thanks,

Larry
 
@ljpviper Guess you got initiated into the Over Did It club .... now you know. Icing and elevating and the Aleve should put things to right. No worries, most of us have been there, and done that in various ways. And it sounds like a wonderful jaunt you had! I bet it was really good to get out of the house and do some thing fun for the day :)

I hope your day of taking it easy has you feeling better quickly
 
Aww, so sorry, Larry. Hopefully your stint in the ODIC is short lived. I’m sure your pain is the combo of all you did yesterday, but I cringed when I read about the two hour car ride. That was something that was intolerable for me, for at least a couple months post op. Thirty minutes and I wanted out! The confined space and inability to easily reposition did not bode well with me.

I hope the icing you’re doing today, coupled with rest helps immensely and you’re feeling better for your three week post op trek to the surgeon tomorrow. Wishing you a good visit and speedy relief from the pain you’re experiencing. Let us know how you appt goes. We’d love to hear. :)
@ljpviper
 
Layla, thanks I did not even over do it with exercises, LOL. Its the psoas that gets irritated very easily, I can feel it. I now see how the anterior surgery differs from posterior approach in healing. You have a lot less restrictions anterior wise but u can aggravate the psoas/hip flexor very easy in the early recovery stages. The posterior approach was just following the 90 degree rule for six weeks.

Yeah lets see if icing all day and resting resolves it. Looking forward to tomorrow's visit just not the drive, its like 90 miles from my house.

Thanks,

Larry
 
Looking forward to tomorrow's visit just not the drive, its like 90 miles from my house.
Factor in time to stop along the way and just get out and walk. You will be surprised how just a bit of moving around to break up the sitting time works. I did a 6 hour drive 4 weeks post RTHR (house move). I stopped twice just to walk around and really didn't suffer at all.
 
Taking along ice packs helped me early on as I had a hard time with car rides also @ljpviper.
 
Had the follow up yesterday at HSS. New x-rays all looked good per the OS. He basically said I have no restrictions movement wise now. The incision looked perfect. He stated the swelling is normal at this stage of recovery, probably last another couple of weeks. I can start heavy/impact activities in 6 to 8 weeks. I was quite surprised that was allowed so quickly. They have a lot of data to backup there surgeries at HSS, so I trust his suggestions. I think I will take it a lot slower,I am in no rush to get back to any crazy exercises. One more tele visit in 3 weeks and I am done for a year till the next follow up.

I iced all day yesterday and the hip calmed down. My friend was able to take me yesterday so I sat in the back seat with both legs up. I was not looking forward to driving 200 miles round trip. Hip feels good today and I will keep progressing slowly. Thanks for all the advise fellow members.

Regards,

Larry
 
:wave: Great news! Thanks for sharing the update on your post op visit with your surgeon.
It’s wonderful to receive the reassurance that all looks well and you’re progressing as expected. Good to read that your hip settled down after icing and rest yesterday.
Stay in touch, we’d like to continue following your journey.
@ljpviper
 
I think I will take it a lot slower,I am in no rush to get back to any crazy exercises. One more tele visit in 3 weeks and I am done for a year till the next follow up.

Good choice @ljpviper, There's no need to rush, this is a marathon not a sprint. The people I've watched here try to sprint have all ended up slowing their recovery.
 
Just curious to the members that have had anterior hip replacements. How long did your swelling last? Seems like the swelling is mainly on the side of my hip and upper glute. Some swelling in the upper and lower quad, not too bad.

Not really painful, I am still icing all day, as I advance my recovery.

Thanks,

Larry
 
Hi Larry,
Swelling can last for several weeks to months. So consider it normal since you’re not even one full month post op. Ice and elevate when you're able. I’ll share something I learned from, Jamie, in Administration -

Jamie shared that it’s our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on it’s own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.
So elevate as you ice if you’re not already.

Have a great weekend!
@ljpviper
 
Larry, I sent you a Personal Message (PM) regarding participation in a pilot recovery program for hip patients. It's a great opportunity....please check your messages. Click on the envelope icon in the blue tool bar at the top of the page for details.
 
Quick update, I am 4 weeks out of my surgery. I dropped the crutches last week and walking without a limp. Just walking for daily exercise, adding a little more each day.

Is it safe to start light stretching on the surgical hip? I don't want to push anything, just like to really stretch my hips out as my back is tightening probably from both PSOAS/hip flexors. I certainly don't want to aggravate my hip

Thanks,

Larry
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom