Bilateral TKR MissViv's Recovery

I hope your rest day brings your knee back to its normal self, although it may take more than one day.
You overdid it yesterday and your knee really did let you know.

These new knees can be quite temperamental and unfortunately we just have to go along with that.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
 
I hope you're feeling much better soon.
It doesn't take much for us to overdo things.
Ive done it many times!
My PT says " just buy a little bag of patience on your way out!"
I really need that super sized bag!!
 
Using a bike to help gain ROM is pretty simple; remember, this is not training, it's stretching!
  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different
 
I had a similar case of overdoing it in my 7th week and it took a few days of icing and elevating and pain meds to feel better. By the end of week 8 my knee felt the best so far. Last Thurs was 8 weeks since surgery. I rarely take the pain meds anymore.
It’s discouraging when you backslide a little but hang in. It does get better!
 
I asked my PT what my extension was and it is zero. He said that is where he wants it to be. I was at zero almost from the beginning.

I'm still struggling with pain and on pain medication. Would love to get off it. When I have a good day and move around a lot then I am in pain the next day. I'm trying to adjust it so I am getting just enough movement without the pain but not having any luck as of yet.
 
You are adopting the correct approach. Just do a little bit more each day, not a lot more, and you will be fine.
 
It’s hard finding that balance between activity and pain. Try to be patient, though, recovery is temporary. Once recovered you’ll be able to do all the things you want to do.
 
You’re doing all the right things. Zero extension this soon is great! It’s tempting to do too much when you feel yourself doing better, but take it in stride when it happens. Rest, settle down those knees, and proceed a bit more slowly the next time.

I’m hoping you can wean off your pain meds soon. I found moving to Tylenol (1000 mg 4x a day) relatively easy once I was ready for that. I started by using Tylenol during the day and my pain pills at night. And then one day I stopped using the Tylenol. It kind of happens quietly once the knees heal. You keep listening to yours and they’ll tell you when you’re ready.
 
ROM is now 115 on both knees. Therapist is hoping for 120 but it is moving slowly now which is normal.

Soreness after PT yesterday but I was real sore going in and it loosened up after PT. Raining which did not help any I'm sure.

We decided not to decorate for Christmas this year (kinda skipping Christmas) first time without a Christmas Tree but with my recovery and 2 cats, we made the decision NOT to decorate. We usually put up 2 Trees plus all the trimmings and decorations in every room in the house so this is BIG for us. Not hosting Christmas at our house this year so all is well.

Merry Christmas to everyone and Happy New Year! Hopefully, next year will be a good one for all of us.
 
@MissViv18 Sounds like your ROM is coming along nicely. Well done! Don't push to get to the next milestone. It will come in time.
We decided not to decorate for Christmas this year (kinda skipping Christmas)
We are doing the same this year. No one is coming and why do all the decorating and cooking for just 2 people. It will be nice to just relax and not worry about timing a big meal.

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you as well.
 
I'm in the opposite position to you.
We are now hosting 21 for sit downChristmas breakfast. My daughters renovations have not gone to plan!

Im sure that had I not been 3 months post op now, i wouldn't have wanted to be putting my hand up.
Everyone will just have to pull their weight.

Have a lovely Christmas :tree lights:@MissViv18.
Look on the bright side every week we tick off we are a week closer to recovery and no pain!:fingersx:
 
Last edited:
Does anyone else have problems with their feet and ankles? My feet hurt something terrible. They have from the onset of surgery. The bones feel so sore and both ankles swell. I also still have numbness in my legs and feet, is this normal?

Hoping this will get better. I have had problems with my left ankle for years (swelling) when on my feet too long. I attributed it to the knee problems.
 
There is certainly an element of your body adapting to completely new knees. All the geometry and load is different, you are almost certainly walking in a different way too. Your physiotherapist will be able to help with posture and gait, it's part of their job.

If it were me, though, I'd want to check that everything is in fact OK, with X-rays and MRI and whatever on the feet and ankles, just for peace of mind.
 
Hi, @MissViv18 I hope you are feeling a bit better today. As Roy said, the feet and ankles have to get used to this surgery too. I did have numbness in my foot at the beginning and it freaked me out. I wasn't expecting that at all. It still have numbness at the knee site also. But the foot has gone away since. I am at week 10. Call the OS and let them know what is going on. Having an XRay just rule things out is a good way to get peace of mind.

This journey is a slow trekking one and sometimes its one step forward, two steps back. I noticed things change from week to week with this surgery. I just told my husband this a.m. that I have had my share of surgeries in the past but this one takes the cake, it's by far the hardest. I was busy all weekend with getting a tree, decorating and regular ADL's and I feel so tired today. It is true my OS said that the first 4 months are the hardest. So take it easy, rest, ice and elevate whenever you can. Take those meds. You know they make you tired too but are important to feeling better in your recovery! I also take motrin still and it helps greatly with inflammation. I don't know if you can take that but it helps. Keep in mind things are moving along just a bit slower than we would like. Happy Holidays, Schpooko
 
Hello @MissViv18 . Like @schpooko I’m at week 10 and last week had a very sore foot with aching bones and ankles although no swelling now. I think Roy is right in that the foot and ankle are having to get used to the new weight distribution and way of walking. Don’t remember it so much with other tkr but every knee is different as is every day!
 
Well I have decided to suspend/quit my PT for now. I have been going since surgery in October 3 X week. My last measurements were 116 left leg & 115 right leg and 0 extension.

I have been in real pain the day(s) after PT and am back on pain pills. I had started to wean off them (only taking one at night) but day before yesterday, I was taking them again every six hours. Don't know if the PT was a factor or not ( I do think PT is VERY IMPORTANT) and if I feel I need it, I can start back in January.

Getting ready for Christmas and doing a little more housework (hubby is happy) and I am trying to get a little more active. I really have not been doing much at all, plenty of rest.

Today is my birthday and my daughter and grandson are picking me up for lunch. YAY!
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: CAB
Have a very happy birthday! :) :-) (::console2: Your knee is reacting you your extra housework. Doing this is also PT, just not formal. Every time you work your knee in any activity it's therapy and exercise!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom