Bilateral TKR MissViv's Recovery

@MissViv18 Happy Birthday and many, many more... Enjoy your lunch with your family. Have a Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Happy New Year... Schpooko
 
Shopping with daughter and grandson went well. I was able to walk with cane all around Belk for at least 30 minutes and then on to Books a Million. We went out to lunch and then I was getting kinda tired so back home to rest. Next day I felt fine, but I woke up this morning sore and stiff. Getting ready to elevate and ice. We are going to Wal-Mart in a little while for last minute groceries.
 
It would be best if you let the others go for the groceries, while you elevate and ice your knee.
You're still very early in recovery and your knee still needs time to rest.
 
Did go to Wal-Mart for groceries but I rode in the scooter. Trying to do light housekeeping today getting ready for Christmas Eve Dinner at our house. My daughter is making the ham & dressing and I am doing a couple of sides and buying dessert at Publix. Just a light Christmas - we were ordering in from Cracker Barrel but my daughter wanted to cook so...

Going to my husbands son's new home tomorrow morning for Christmas Eve breakfast. About a 45 min. drive. We have not seen his new home since he moved in the end of October. Dreading the car ride.
 
Sounds like a busy Christmas for you. Having family around will be a blessing.
Take some frozen ice/gel packs for the car ride. It really helps.
Merry Christmas !
 
Any elevation that you can manage in the car will be a help. Early in my recovery an acquaintance, who was 4 months ahead of me, suggested keeping a small pillow on the floor of the front seat to rest my foot on. I found it very helpful. There isn’t much room in the front seat to get your foot up, but a few inches really did help. It also helped to cushion the inevitable bumps of the car ride. I used it for many months!

With all the comments from others that we have to endure, this one was actually very helpful!
 
Can you ride in the backseat with your leg elevated on pillows- it will make the ride more bearable. Have a good Christmas
 
I decided to stay home. My husbands older son picked him up and off they went. Tonight is Christmas Eve dinner with my daughter, son-in-law and grandsons and I thought two would just be too much.

I will see his kids & grandkids as they will probably stop by on Christmas Day.

Merry Christmas to All and Happy New Year!
 
A wise choice. Hopefully they all understand. :console2:
 
I'm getting discouraged with my recovery. I know it is a LONG process but I am just a little over 10 weeks post op and very little improvement the last couple of weeks.

I still have the tightness, slight swelling and pain in both knees and my feet, oh lord, they ache all the time. Thought I would be a lot better by now. Still having to take pain meds a couple of times a day. Can't really do much or I will be in more pain. Not doing a lot of exercise, ride the recumbent bike a couple of times a day for 5 min. PT sent me home with exercises but I do not do them on a daily basis.

What do you gals think? My next appt. with OS is 1/11.
 
@MissViv18 just wrote a post on my thread this morning with a 12 week update saying more or less the same as you. It’s so disheartening to hear of people managing to do so much more. This is my second knee and a can’t help but compare it with my first which was so much quicker to recover. I just think of it as being a bit more sensitive and that I have to tread carefully so that I don’t over stress it.

Think i’m just beginning to see a little bit more improvement. I went swimming today ( only 20 mins and no kicking left leg) and have come back without it feeling troubled.
Although I’m not doing physio I’ve an appointment with the physio therapist to see if she can offer any guidance.
 
Normal, normal, normal! Try to hang in there and try not to worry. :console2:
 
I'm a self proclaimed overachiever and thought I'd be further along by now. Today is 11 weeks. I think we're right where we need to be. I had a setback 10 days ago. Very discouraging.
I hope you're icing and elevating for the pain which comes from swelling.
Sometimes we do too much without realizing it. I bet you'll feel better by the time you see your doc in Jan!:console2:
 
I'm not icing now so I guess I need to do it a little. Only elevating in the recliner not with loungedoctor, never could make peace with it.

I may go back to PT after the first of the year. I am not good at doing my exercises at home but am riding the recumbent bike.
 
You are having a normal recovery. As you know, this is a long long Long recovery. You had both knees done together and the energy drain is very real. You have excellent ROM. Soft tissues are still quite upset and they need time to heal. :console2:

Walking around a bit and 5 minutes on your bike (at zero resistance) from time to time is good. If the bike does bother you, cut back to less minutes or less times a day.

Remember, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

I am going to tag @Josephine
our forum administrator and nurse director to address your concerns.
 
@MissViv18 Happy New Year. I just wanted to let you know I just told my OS (who I did not see for awhile) that I did not go to PT and I only do the recumbent bike and ADL's. You will be just fine with time, rest and ADL's. I also did no exercises at home. So everything @Jockette wrote above is great advice. Take care Schpooko
 
Icing and lots of it has gotten me through setbacks. Even today I did some things around the apartment and walked the dog twice. Taking a break for an hour and icing. Then back to chores.
I think you will see an improvement if you take it easy and concentrate on icing more.
Feel better!
 
Well the OS says no more refills on narcotics. I guess it is the best but I do still have pain (more discomfort than pain) that starts about 5:30 p.m. in the evening. I have about five more pills and I am taking one at night around 8:00 p.m. and that did ok last night. The nurse says to take alleve, 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening, so I started that yesterday.

I need to get out more. What with the winter weather, no snow but lots of rain, I have been staying in. Went to the dentist yesterday for a cleaning and took my four amoxicillin that the OS had prescribed one hour before visit. It rained almost all day yesterday but today is sunny and going to be quite warm for a couple of days, close to 60. Rain comes again tomorrow.

When will the stiffness in my knees go away??? Can't wait until the day that I feel so good I don't even notice the knees. Still can't sleep on my side and I am a side sleeper.

I see the OS again next Friday, 1/11.
 
My knee is still stiff. But, it's so much better than a few weeks ago. If I had 2 stiff knees like you it would be tough. Hang in there. Keep icing and moving. Are you still going to pt?

My Pt's dad had bilateral. He's 50. He was one of those super man recoveries. Even she said it was unusual. I told her I was going to punch her if she mentioned him again :rotfl:. She has a great sense of humor. Thank goodness. She wasn't comparing to me just chatting.

You do your thing and those knees will feel great before you know it!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom