Bilateral TKR MissViv's Recovery

When will the stiffness in my knees go away??? Can't wait until the day that I feel so good I don't even notice the knees. Still can't sleep on my side and I am a side sleeper.
Stiffness was the last thing I complained about. Not really painful, just aggravating. Yours will eventually go away, you just have to wait it out. You can't force it out. If you try to, you'll just swell and become more stiff! This surgery will definitely teach you patience!
 
Beachy,

Thanks for your reply. I am not going to PT any longer although I can go back if I wish, I still have pre-approved visits. My PT also had a younger man (in his 40's) who had TKR and he was also a great patient, sailed right through PT with no problems. Don't you just hate those people (just kidding).

Having a good day today!! Fingers crossed!
 
My left knee is still stiff as it still doesn't like being overworked. But it's better than it was and continues to get better. The right knee is extremely stiff but I know it will improve over time. It's been a total different recovery than the left but my OS keeps telling me it just takes time. I can't believe they won't give you anymore pain meds. So far mine has not refused. Cant they just taper it down to something else? I'm sorry they wont do that:console2:
 
Yesterday was 12 weeks post op and I am feeling a little better.

Went out to lunch with my daughter yesterday. It was 65 degrees here (YAY). Todays high is 40. Going to turn winter again, lows in the 20's.

Sleeping better but still can't sleep on my side without discomfort. OS appt. is this Friday.
 
Yay! For feeling better and having a day out with your daughter!
 
OS appt. went really well today. He looked at my knees and had me bend them back and he said very good that I was going to do well. I told him I was not exercising much, walking & recumbent bike but was goint to go to the Y next week. He said go slow and not to do anything that hurts. Come back in three months!

We are going on a cruise in March to the Caribbean and he said I shouldn't have any problems and the warm sun should do some good! YAY!!

Went to Wal-Mart for a few things, we are expecting rain/snow mix tonight, and did not use a scooter and walked the store just fine. Good Bye Scooter!! LOL
 
Sounds like a great visit!! Good for you. I look forward to the days when I can do more.
 
Well I spoke too soon! Last night was terrible. Could not sleep and got up and iced but the problem was my feet more than my knees. I think I told you all that my feet feel really numb and toes are aching. The tops of my feet felt like they were on fire last night. I got up and rubbed some Tramadol gel on them and was finally able to fall asleep sometime around 1:00 p.m.

I asked the OS about the feet problem and he said he did not do anything that would affect my feet, but he had other patients who had complained of the same issue. I had a lot of numbness in the legs and that feeling is coming back. He thought the feeling would come back in my feet. I sure hope so. Hoping I am not getting neuropathy. My husband takes Gabapentin for his toes. You think that would help me? Seems to have a lot of side effects.
 
My knee is still stiff too, and stiffens more with activity. I still love to elevate and ice, and find it so soothing.

About your aching feet, have you changed out your shoes? New ones may help as they won’t have your old walking pattern worn into them.

Hang in there!
 
Yes I have changed shoes. I'm mainly wearing new LL Bean slippers while in the house.

I have had too bad nights. Cannot go to sleep or stay asleep. Only got 3 hrs. sleep last night and now I dread the nights. I was taking a pain pill at 8:00 p.m. each night so my body has been used to pain meds for the last three months. That is probably the problem.
 
Never tell us you had a good day! :bignono:

Just kidding. It usually comes back to bite you. I've done it so many times. "Oh, I can do this and that blah blah blah." .Next day I can't walk.

Hope your pain goes away soon and you can get some rest.
 
MissViv18 Sorry to hear that the last few days were bothersome. Have you tried taking tylenol PM? It helps with pain and the sleeping... Well, I hope your pain gets better Regards
Schpooko
 
Melatonin can help, also. I take a 5mg every night before bed and it helps.
 
Last night a took a mild muscle relaxer (prescription) that I had left over from a visit to a rheumatologist. Got some much needed sleep. I have a few more of them so I will take them until gone. I do take Z quill when I cannot sleep well and that usually does it.
 
You can't buy a good night's sleep and it's so important! Great that you got a good night's sleep last night!
 
Raining here today. My DH and I had to go to the Dr. for blood work for our appts. with GP next week.

Knees are doing pretty good, still feel the tightness and rubber band feeling. Still having trouble sleeping. Hoping things will get better when the weather gets better (spring??). Going on a Caribbean cruise in March.
 
Oh a cruise sounds wonderful! That's on my bucket list.
 
I think the cruise will do wonders for you. There’s nothing fun or normal about a life centered around knees. You’re still early enough in your recovery to want to make some accommodations — no long hiking shore excursions for you — but cruises are good for being able to pace yourself. If you let your cabin steward know you will want the ice bucket kept well-stocked, you can make your own ice packs with some zip-lock baggies (quart or gallon, test drive for what you like best). I found ice packs very helpful post-exercising/walks until I was about six months post-op.

The sleeping sorts itself out. Sadly, it does not do quickly enough for anyone. I had less than optimal sleep for about four months, and I was off narcotics at three weeks. It’s so many things, including that the knees act up in some positions, and that we can’t turn over normally at first, or sleep in preferred postures, and that our bodies and brains are re-calibrating all kinds of massive changes that happened because of our surgery. It can feel at times that we’re permanently messed up. We’re not. It just... takes time. I’m back to sleeping normally, including my superpower of being able to drop off to sleep in two minutes flat. (That took over a year to get back.). Hang in there!
 
Thanks SusieShoes, we have booked a handicapped room and I am thinking about taking my walker. Not sure yet since my DH thinks I do not need it. But, it would come in handy with the seat in case we encounter long lines. Going on a smaller ship, Holland America, and not planning any shore excursions. Just getting off and going to private island for some beach time.
 
The walker is a good idea, too, should you encounter rough seas. Cruise ships are wonderfully stable, yet weather happens. You'll appreciate the added stability of your walker should the ship start rocking. Smaller ships also experience more deck movement than the behemoths. At the very least bring your cane. The handicap-accessible room is a good idea.

Private islands are fun! Are you getting a cabana? Highly recommended, because then you can sit or lounge on a nice chair or chaise. So much easier for getting up and down. I got a cabana on my last cruise and after splashing in the ocean I just relaxed in the shade, legs up, drinking something fruity and reading a book.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom