Guest viewing is limited

Miss Muffet wishes to ditch her tuffet and get mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the app I can't see the new surgery date for @Kitsmom @jacey

I can't see many of them on the app.


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
I can see it. I think you maybe have to hit refresh or your computer/tablet just shows the old version.
 
@Miss Muffet never thought of that, I am having my hair tinted next week in preparation of looking gorgeous ha ha ha. Never thought to ask. Let me know after tomorrow will you please if you remember to ask the question.
 
Hi @Zelda - thanks for asking. First day off anti-inflams so have Paracetamol to hand (which I am allowed to take) Getting things together - my pillow pile (including wedge pillow); just ordered a satin pillowslip after reading @Squirrellymom's post (what a lush!) :sleeep: moving things from lower drawers so they are more accessible; gathering the likely clothing I will use together in one place; will get Hubby to retrieve overnight case from loft so I can pack it. Doing all of this over weekend as I anticipate I'll get gradually stiffer over the course of the next few days - as my dependancy on the anti-inflams has been so much of my life for such a long time. :old: I want to keep busy to occupy my mind!

And how are you? Are things continuing along a good path - no sign of the problem you had recently, which was such an upset? :fingersx:

Was told at my preOp appointment I wont have any dressing at all (even for showering) It really surprised me. The nurse said that dressings can introduce infection (I thought they created a barrier against infection?) Would love to know from any other Smarties if this was the case for them? :what::what::what::what::what::what: or maybe @Josephine can advise?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No dressing at all? Surely that would just get clothing fluff in your incision? I don't envy you five days without the anti-inflams - I'm glad you're thinking about extra pain medication and taking things easy. I still think you are the most prepared person ever!

I'm feeling quite optimistic this week. The operated hip feels more normal every day and it's getting harder to stick to my restrictions because of it. The other one is manageable now that I'm thinking of it as the "bad" one to be looked after and definitely the one setting the limits.
 
@Miss Muffet I took lots of stuff to the hospital with me for my last TKR and used very little of it. I took a skirt and top to go home in so I was not struggling into trousers. The main challenge was putting on undies!
I grew up in North Staffordshire and loved going to the Moorland areas in Derbyshire. Do you have to travel far to have your op?
 
I think some surgeons use a special glue to close the incision and maybe they don't need a dressing over the top? Maybe the glue is the barrier to infection.
 
Hi @Chihuahuan - thanks. Was told at preOp to take a dress or skirt which is a pain as I tend to wear dresses for more formal occasions. I had bought a few pairs of wide bottomed track pants ready for recuperation and will have to give some thought now to what I pack. Other than that it's iPod, iPad and phone (+chargers) but crackers and ginger ale are also on my list. We live south of Derby and the Nuffield hospital is only about 15 minutes away and we can get into The Peak inside 20 minutes. Feel very lucky. Whereabouts did you live? You've certainly moved a long way. Was it work or love - or both?
 
@Rutabaga - I asked how the wound would be sealed and the nurse said they don't use glue - only stitches or staples. I'm a bit bewildered to honest.
 
@Miss Muffet Love!
I lived in Stoke-on-Trent but did lot's of walking in the peak district. My Mum's family are originally from Derby.
For my hip I'm thinking that a summer stretchy dress and cardigan would work
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Was told at my preOp appointment I wont have any dressing at all (even for showering) It really surprised me. The nurse said that dressings can introduce infection (I thought they created a barrier against infection?) Would love to know from any other Smarties if this was the case for them? :what::what::what::what::what::what: or maybe @Josephine can advise?
No dressing at all?
I think some surgeons use a special glue to close the incision and maybe they don't need a dressing over the top? Maybe the glue is the barrier to infection.
No, she was quite emphatic - I asked, "what, even when showering?" and the answer was as above. It risks introducing infection. She said they don't use glue (so it will be stitches or staples).
I know I'll find out in just a few days' time, but am really curious.:chinstroke:
 
We will expect you here on Thursday afternoon to tell us all about it!
 
@Miss Muffet - I can't believe how quickly your day is coming! You sound more than ready for this. You are going to ace it!
I hope you don't have too much pain without your meds before the surgery. It is unusual you won't have a dressing on your incision. But I'm sure they know what they're doing!
Thinking of you this week and wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and easy recovery. :flwrysmile:
 
@Readysetgo - thank you! I know - only 3 days to go and this last lap has raced. Am typing up a bible for my hubby. He says he doesn't need it ...... (we'll see :whistle:) Being without the anti-inflams is tough but it certainly acts as a reminder why I need this done. :console2:
@Zelda - it may not be till late Thursday (even Friday) before I can post as the nurse said they may keep me in a holding area overnight. Darnit :doh:
 
@Miss Muffet
I've read a few websites where it says "you will not have a dressing when leaving the hospital". These were on OS's sites and they use sutures or staples. So your surgeon isn't alone. Hope this helps. Hugs!
 
Gosh might have six hours without a post from you @Miss Muffet!!! :heehee:I am so excited for you this week, hope all goes well, just try and get through the pain without those antiinflamms, its sooooo going to be worth it. :dancy:
 
@Cynthia777 - thanks so much for that research. You're a gem! How interesting :friends:
@Zelda - ha ha. Hope it make it worth the waiting! :type:
@shirleyH - also ha ha! it's fair to say it's not fun. Suppose it shows that the meds do actually quell the pain somewhat. Just makes you want it gone. :elevate:
At my preOp they asked about pain levels for both hips. I rated right as 9 and left as 6.
Would like to demand a recount now on the left one - it's up they with the right now .... :swoon:
Really need a good sleep :sleeep:
Thanks everyone for keeping in touch - means a lot :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom